Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,286 members, 7,850,006 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:46 PM

- Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / (1625 Views)

If You're Happily Married, Please Share Your Story / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

by Jimbadly: 6:06pm On Aug 16, 2014
grin
Re: by amieesuccess: 8:52pm On Aug 16, 2014
Nice **following**
Re: by egopersonified(f): 9:46pm On Aug 16, 2014
WARNING: If your mum is alive and below 70, you can't officially declare yourself an only child.

1 Like

Re: by Jimbadly: 10:13pm On Aug 16, 2014
amieesuccess: Nice **following**

Nice to have you dear. Are you by any chance an only child?
Re: by Jimbadly: 10:18pm On Aug 16, 2014
egopersonified: WARNING: If your mum is alive and below 70, you can't officially declare yourself an only child.

My parents are alive. My mun's 59, her chances of ever bearing a child now is one in a billion. I don't think it'll ever happen. I have long come to terms with the fact that I will remain an only child for life.
Re: by Jimbadly: 10:34pm On Aug 16, 2014
More comments are needed from only children. I really hope I'm not the only 'only child' in this forum. I know we're quite in the minority. But hey it ain't a disease, come in and share your story. I really need to know how y'all felt growing up.
Re: by EfemenaXY: 12:44am On Aug 17, 2014
^^ What about those only children with half brothers and / or sisters. Do they qualify to comment here too?
Re: by Jimbadly: 1:08am On Aug 17, 2014
EfemenaXY: ^^ What about those only children with half brothers and / or sisters. Do they qualify to comment here too?

Sure they can. Anyone who is an only child of his/her mother can comment, whether you have half siblings or not.
Re: by manitobor(m): 6:00am On Aug 17, 2014
Nice. I am an only child as well. I neva felt lonely growing up, cos we had many cousins living with us as well as many house helps. I cherish being my parents only biological issue cos i'll get to inherit a lot from them. I am extroverted and will like to have only one child as well.
Re: by itstpia1: 4:49pm On Aug 20, 2014
nigeria doesnt have a high incidence of only children, not saying they are not many, but as opposed to overseas where people sometimes decide to have only one child, nigerians dont do such unless they're unable to have more. They dont consider it an optional decision.

however, when there's a big age gap between kids, it also gives an "only child" effect to the younger one/s.

i read that somewhere.
Re: by itstpia1: 4:54pm On Aug 20, 2014
manitobor: I am extroverted and will like to have only one child as well.

thats unusual, most (nigerian) only children prefer having as many kids as possible i should think, could be wrong.
Re: by MadCow1: 4:55pm On Aug 20, 2014
egopersonified: WARNING: If your mum is alive and below 70, you can't officially declare yourself an only child.

If Sarah could do it at 90... Then its not too late yet grin

Re: by itstpia1: 5:11pm On Aug 20, 2014
it would definitely be too late nowadays.
Re: by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 20, 2014
Jimbadly:

Sure they can. Anyone who is an only child of his/her mother can comment, whether you have half siblings or not.

Which means am qualified then
Am the first and only child from my mum to dad and my step sis and bro ar just lovly to be around with.I sometimes wish I had a blooD sis or bro
Re: by itstpia1: 5:48pm On Aug 20, 2014
seems, in nigeria, only child is not really in the strictest sense of the word, most nigerians who are only children, have step or half brothers and sisters.
Re: by Jimbadly: 7:53pm On Aug 20, 2014
itstpia1: seems, in nigeria, only child is not really in the strictest sense of the word, most nigerians who are only children, have step or half brothers and sisters.

You're absolutely right, only a few of us are only children in the strictest sense of the word.
In my case my dad never took a second wife, though he was under pressure from his relations to do so. And my parents also opted not to adopt another child. I'm all they got.
Re: by Jimbadly: 8:01pm On Aug 20, 2014
It'll be nice to know what others think about only children. If you've had any dealings with one, share your experience.

I read that only children can be a little selfish/self centered. I must admit that I can be a little selfish at times. There's also a myth in Nigeria that girls who are only children are not good for marriage, that they are usually over pampered and spoilt brats. I am not sure bout this.
Re: by TheRealStuff: 12:58am On Aug 21, 2014
Re: by Nobody: 10:23am On Aug 21, 2014
K
Re: by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 21, 2014
J
Re: by NeuroBoss(m): 9:39am On Aug 23, 2014
I was once an only child until 5 more of me popped up
Re: by FatherCHRISTMAS(f): 2:08pm On Aug 23, 2021
Jimbadly:
More comments are needed from only children. I really hope I'm not the only 'only child' in this forum. I know we're quite in the minority. But hey it ain't a disease, come in and share your story. I really need to know how y'all felt growing up.
Not at all

(1) (Reply)

Groom Throws Bouquet At Friends... See What The Guys Did...lol / Help With Choosing Unborn Baby's Name / Husband Isn't Male Partner But Master By Pastor Chris Oyakhilome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.