Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,870 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion (2080 Views)

Innoson Made-In-Nigeria SUV Worth N5.6m / My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by kingkayz: 5:40pm On Aug 17, 2014
I drive a 2004 outlander. I noticed the car is now consuming a lot of fuel and goes off on motion especially anytime I just bought fuel. I have taken it to mechanic a couple of time still no solution. I recently did a scan on it and the following codes came out. P0171, P0134, p0131, P0335, P0657. Kindly help nairaland.
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:07pm On Aug 17, 2014
Check or replace oxygen sensors on bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 1 sensor 2, also clean out or replace all your spark plugs, check crankshaft position sensor might be loose or defective.

Hope this helps.
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by autofixng: 8:48am On Aug 18, 2014
GAZZUZZ: Check or replace oxygen sensors on bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 1 sensor 2, also clean out or replace all your spark plugs, check crankshaft position sensor might be loose or defective.
Hope this helps.
Also never forget to check for open or broken air duct casing. It's very important for the lean mixture dtc code.
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by kingkayz: 11:38am On Aug 26, 2014
GAZZUZZ: Check or replace oxygen sensors on bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 1 sensor 2, also clean out or replace all your spark plugs, check crankshaft position sensor might be loose or defective.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply. I just discovered that the catalyst converter has been removed. Could it be part of the reason why the numerous error codes. Went to Ladipo to look for but was told it's not available in the market. Is there any other alternative for this? Please advice.
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:03pm On Aug 26, 2014
You should replace defective parts, if you can't find "tokumbor" ones, order for new ones online. Buying OEM new parts will extend the life of your car.

Consider checking this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/1869677/what-car-bits-need-us#25775839
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by beryour(m): 5:03pm On Sep 19, 2014
GAZZUZZ: You should replace defective parts, if you can't find "tokumbor" ones, order for new ones online. Buying OEM new parts will extend the life of your car.

Consider checking this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/1869677/what-car-bits-need-us#25775839
Please Can I get the tokunbo parts of these products for Honda pilot 2004 EX
1. O2 Sensors
2. Knock Sensors.
3. EVAP Solenoid.
4. Charcoal Canister
Thanks
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:46pm On Sep 19, 2014
beryour:
Please Can I get the tokunbo parts of these products for Honda pilot 2004 EX
1. O2 Sensors
2. Knock Sensors.
3. EVAP Solenoid.
4. Charcoal Canister
Thanks

Post here: https://www.nairaland.com/996664/maintenance-tips-honda-cars , you will get prompt response.
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by Nobody: 12:29am On Sep 20, 2014
kingkayz:

Thank you for the reply. I just discovered that the catalyst converter has been removed. Could it be part of the reason why the numerous error codes. Went to Ladipo to look for but was told it's not available in the market. Is there any other alternative for this? Please advice.

I didn't look up those codes but if any of them says something about sensor 2 then that means that the signal being read by that sensor is not right.

With the cat missing I would expect you will get such an error.

When I remove catalytic converters (on off road vehicles that are not used on the street for Gods sakes wink ) you can use this cheap trick to fool the ECU to think that the cats are still there. This distances the sensor from the exhaust stream.

In my opinion and for your car I would just go and join an Outlander forum and ask the questions there.

Good luck.

Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by jaz(m): 8:50pm On Sep 20, 2014
i think you should call this number; 07055777557, 08023208996, Simple ideas Mechanics; the mechanic there is real good. he just fixed my 2008 outlander. it was also switching off in motion and giving me varieties of other issues.
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by Ngutor(m): 10:07pm On Sep 24, 2014
CityNG:

I didn't look up those codes but if any of them says something about sensor 2 then that means that the signal being read by that sensor is not right.

When I remove catalytic converters (on off road vehicles that are not used on the street for Gods sakes wink ) you can use this cheap trick to fool the ECU to think that the cats are still there. This distances the sensor from the exhaust stream.

In my opinion and for your car I would just go and join an Outlander forum and ask the questions there.

Good luck.
Hello. PLEASE how can one source for this. Thank you
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by Nobody: 12:53am On Sep 25, 2014
Ngutor:
Hello. PLEASE how can one source for this. Thank you

You can find them on eBay and such and you can ship via ChinoSXL (search on here for that name).

Alternatively, I can do the legwork for you and ship to you but there will be a concierge fee attached but you can do this yourself.
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by Ngutor(m): 11:19am On Sep 25, 2014
CityNG:

You can find them on eBay and such and you can ship via ChinoSXL (search on here for that name).

Alternatively, I can do the legwork for you and ship to you but there will be a concierge fee attached but you can do this yourself.
Good day. Thank you for your timely response. Dont know if this shipping ends in Lagos or covers the entire Nigeria because I dont reside in Lagos. Any idea of cost implication? I would also need a Haynes repair manual for a 2005 Honda Accord
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by kingkayz: 5:19pm On Oct 03, 2014
Thanks. But can you please expansiate on the trick?

CityNG:

Good luck.
Thanks. But can you please expansiate on

CityNG:

Good luck.
Thanks. But can you please expansiate on

CityNG:

Good luck.
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by 100Cents: 9:15am On Oct 04, 2014
Just happened to my Sienna 2 weeks ago. Same symptoms.(consuming a lot of fuel and going off in motion). Definitely fuel and pump related..

Fuel pump gone bad, Airflow meter affected..

A good electrician will rectify it in none day. Empty the fuel tank, change fuel pump and airflow meter..

Possible cause : Bad fuel or water in fuel tank.. Prevalent during rainy seasons..
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by jaz(m): 11:06am On Oct 05, 2014
100Cents:
Just happened to my Sienna 2 weeks ago. Same symptoms.(consuming a lot of fuel and going off in motion). Definitely fuel and pump related..

Fuel pump gone bad, Airflow meter affected..

A good electrician will rectify it in none day. Empty the fuel tank, change fuel pump and airflow meter..

Possible cause : Bad fuel or water in fuel tank.. Prevalent during rainy seasons..

lols indeed.

u better go and do a scan and diagnose what ur car issues are. self medication tinz Lol.

sorry bro. don't mind me. but i had such experience recently. did all those stuff u mentioned as advised by my former mechanic. met anoda who did proper work to find out it was a sensor problem. changed that and I'm back on d road speeding away, no worries.
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by 100Cents: 11:59am On Oct 05, 2014
jaz:

lols indeed.

u better go and do a scan and diagnose what ur car issues are. self medication tinz Lol.

sorry bro. don't mind me. but i had such experience recently. did all those stuff u mentioned as advised by my former mechanic. met anoda who did proper work to find out it was a sensor problem. changed that and I'm back on d road speeding away, no worries.

Same symptoms different causes. The electrical guys know better...
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by jaz(m): 2:56pm On Oct 05, 2014
100Cents:

Same symptoms different causes. The electrical guys know better...

OK bro
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by mayor2013: 3:43pm On Oct 05, 2014
@ jaz. You lucky. Wel you still need to thank me grin
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by kingkayz: 3:23am On Oct 10, 2014
please what is the name of the sensor?

[quote author=jaz post=26877902]

lols indeed.

sorry bro. don't mind me. but i had such experience recently. did all those stuff u mentioned as advised by my former mechanic. met anoda who did proper work to find out it was a sensor problem. changed that and I'm back on d road speeding
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by jaz(m): 6:38am On Oct 12, 2014
mayor2013:
@ jaz. You lucky. Wel you still need to thank me grin

Sure. You guys simply gave me a long list of parts and sensors to replace wt a Scarry bill of #205,000. My broda i was not impressed. A car as new as that can't have so manydamaged parts aand sensors at the same time.

I simply told my mechanic to do another round of checks b4 he narrowed it down to the cam shaft sensor which is sold for #16k. we replaced it and ive Been driving the car since wt no issues.

But u saved me @30k on a needless change of ecu and I appreciate you for that. Thanks bro. Cheers.
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by jaz(m): 6:40am On Oct 12, 2014
kingkayz:
please what is the name of the sensor?

Cam shaft sensor
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by mayor2013: 7:12am On Oct 12, 2014
jaz:

Cam shaft sensor

My bill wasn't up to that and the cam shaft sensor was actually mentioned in what I wrote. Nevertheless thank God your ride is ok now. Enjoy
Re: Help! My Suv Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Goes Off On Motion by jaz(m): 8:05am On Oct 12, 2014
mayor2013:

My bill wasn't up to that and the cam shaft sensor was actually mentioned in what I wrote. Nevertheless thank God your ride is ok now. Enjoy

180k + 25k bro

Happy Sunday. wink

(1) (Reply)

Advice Me On 2002 Freelander(land Rover) / 2003 Toyota Solara Without Engine, Is This A Good Buy?pics / A Quick One Please With Respect To Rear Tire Negative Camber Alignment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.