Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew (2874 Views)

A Car With Ankara Paint / Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? / How Long Can One Drive A Car With Expired Vehicle Licence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by ogawisdom(m): 7:56am On Aug 18, 2014
Pls is it safe if I buy a car whose papers ve expired frm a car dealer and renew it. Is there any challenge I might face in doing dt or do I insist d dealer renews everything before I pay.

Secondly must I get a police report before buying a registered car frm a car dealer.

Finally wat does it cost to renew a car papers currently in nigeria

Thanks as I wait for ur comment. Pls ur comments r needed urgently.
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by chillex8(m): 8:13am On Aug 18, 2014
Yes you can, and you will..

Ensure that the vehicle documents are complete
Vehicle license.
Proof of ownership.
Customs paper if still available
Proof of allocation of plate no.

Ensure that the VIN no, engine no, and reg no all correspond on all documents and on the said vehicle...

The dealer is to provide you with a "change of ownership" document.

This, together with a police report will enable you do a renewal or outright change of vehicle documents in your name..

Buying a car with un-expired papers is an advantage..

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by ogawisdom(m): 8:28am On Aug 18, 2014
chillex8: Yes you can, and you will..

Ensure that the vehicle documents are complete
Vehicle license.
Proof of ownership.
Customs paper if still available
Proof of allocation of plate no.

Ensure that the VIN no, engine no, and reg no all correspond on all documents and on the said vehicle...

The dealer is to provide you with a "change of ownership" document.

This, together with a police report will enable you do a renewal or outright change of vehicle documents in your name..

Buying a car with un-expired papers is an advantage..

Cheers

Thanks bro d dealer claims he bought frm d owner and reselling, am I safe buying if d papers are all original n bear d previous owners name (who I can't meet).

Am I d one to get d police report or d dealer shld. Buying a naija used car can b quite frightenin bc if anytin goes wrong kasala go burst n d new owner ll b in deep shit .
Am takin all d needed precautions
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by chillex8(m): 8:51am On Aug 18, 2014
ogawisdom:

Thanks bro d dealer claims he bought frm d owner and reselling, am I safe buying if d papers are all original n bear d previous owners name (who I can't meet).

Am I d one to get d police report or d dealer shld. Buying a naija used car can b quite frightenin bc if anytin goes wrong kasala go burst n d new owner ll b in deep shit .
Am takin all d needed precautions

I understand your fears..

The "change of ownership" document will be provided by the dealer.. And it will state that the dealer is selling a used vehicle on-behalf of the previous owner.. I.e " I, Mr dealer of so so address , on behalf of Mr previous owner of so so address , have sold so so car to Mr ogawisdom, of nairaland for $300, with the ffg vehicle particulars ...

Dealer signs, u sign. Dealer's witness signs, your witness signs too.. Date and time inclusive...

Dealer will also provide a reciept of purchase in his company's name...

MODIFIED:
Let him show you the change of ownership document between him and the previous owner. That's the only way you can deal.... If he doesn't have it, then he has to swear an affidavit that the said vehicle is now his own. (that's wat I mixed up for police report, cos most are done @ the police stations)..

I hope this helps

4 Likes

Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by ogawisdom(m): 9:42am On Aug 18, 2014
chillex8:

I understand your fears..

The "change of ownership" document will be provided by the dealer.. And it will state that the dealer is selling a used vehicle on-behalf of the previous owner.. I.e " I, Mr dealer of so so address , on behalf of Mr previous owner of so so address , have sold so so car to Mr ogawisdom, of nairaland for $300, with the ffg vehicle particulars ...

Dealer signs, u sign. Dealer's witness signs, your witness signs too.. Date and time inclusive...

Dealer will also provide a reciept of purchase in his company's name...
He will then accompany you to the nearest police station to swear an affidavit that the vehicle is his and he has transferred ownership to you...

That's the best option in your case, to avoid stories that touch.

Dealer might tell you "most licensing offices here do not require a police report to change vehicle particulars in your name". Bla bla bla

You need a police report brother...

Thanks a bunch
I think u mixed sth up dt is affidavit n police report. I tink d affidavit is done in court n nt police station. Clarify
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by Nobody: 10:02am On Aug 18, 2014
Personally I would have the dealer do all the work and will pick up the car when all the documents are ready in my name, at my expense of course.
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by chillex8(m): 10:04am On Aug 18, 2014
ogawisdom:

Thanks a bunch
I think u mixed sth up dt is affidavit n police report. I tink d affidavit is done in court n nt police station. Clarify

modified above
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by ogawisdom(m): 10:28am On Aug 18, 2014
chillex8:

modified above

Thanks bro u may ve saved a brother frm police wahala angry I ll follow all precautions n if d dealer is nt patient wit me n sorts out all issues I ll walk out on d deal. If i am nt sure abt anytin I ll still call on u again.
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by CORDROSS: 10:34am On Aug 18, 2014
I actually purchased a car like that but i did all the changes except change of ownership which is still pending. Though the said car was bought by my brother from a bank and he in turn sold it to me. So How should the change of ownership document be?

Advise before hungry looking naija police gbamu me... grin
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by chillex8(m): 2:55pm On Aug 18, 2014
CORDROSS: I actually purchased a car like that but i did all the changes except change of ownership which is still pending. Though the said car was bought by my brother from a bank and he in turn sold it to me. So How should the change of ownership document be?

Advise before hungry looking naija police gbamu me... grin

In whose name is the vehicle registered to??

I mean what name does the vehicle particulars bear.

If it bears your brother's name, and the particulars are un-expired you can simply drive around with it.. But when flagged down by any of the law enforcement agencies, just tell them the car is for your brother.. Shikenna.

If the vehicle particulars bear the bank's name, best bet is to do a renewal to make your name appear in the documents....

In this case, all you need is a "change of ownership" document from whoever's name is on the vehicle particulars.

Cheers
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by ogawisdom(m): 8:34am On Aug 19, 2014
chillex8:

If it bears your brother's name, and the particulars are un-expired you can simply drive around with it.. But when flagged down by any of the law enforcement agencies, just tell them the car is for your brother.. Shikenna.

If the vehicle particulars bear the bank's name, best bet is to do a renewal to make your name appear in the documents....

In this case, all you need is a "change of ownership" document from whoever's name is on the vehicle particulars.

Cheers

Pls let me ask this, after buying a used car which has expired papers n bears previous owners names can I drive it to my state to effect name change on papers n do the updates without police wahala on d way. D car ll b driven from akwa ibom to abia state or must everytin b done in akwa ibom before any movement.
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by femmy2010(m): 8:47am On Aug 19, 2014
ogawisdom:

Pls let me ask this, after buying a used car which has expired papers n bears previous owners names can I drive it to my state to effect name change on papers n do the updates without police wahala on d way. D car ll b driven from akwa ibom to abia state or must everytin b done in akwa ibom before any movement.

Papers has to be renewed before you can move it to your state except you want to be made into "noodles" by Men of the Nigerian police,VIO and FRSC.
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by chillex8(m): 9:30am On Aug 19, 2014
ogawisdom:

That's what I call double wahala..
1. Papers are not in your name
2. Papers are expired

To avoid stories that touch, make sure you do the renewal in your name before you embark on the trip. I can bet an arm that your vehicle will be investigated if you attempt the journey...

Is the vehicle registered with the new number plate?
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by ogawisdom(m): 9:35am On Aug 19, 2014
femmy2010:

Papers has to be renewed before you can move it to your state except you want to be made into "noodles" by Men of the Nigerian police,VIO and FRSC.

Ok tnks after d renewal must the papers all bear my name before any movement can b attempted. Wat if d papers r up to date but bears d previous owners name n I ve d car sales agreement n purchase receipt frm car dealer.
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by ogawisdom(m): 9:46am On Aug 19, 2014
chillex8:

That's what I call double wahala..
1. Papers are not in your name
2. Papers are expired

To avoid stories that touch, make sure you do the renewal in your name before you embark on the trip. I can bet an arm that your vehicle will be investigated if you attempt the journey...

Is the vehicle registered with the new number plate?

D vehicle is with old plate number n registered in Jos n dealer is suggesting I change it to lagos plate number.

Buying a reg car safely no easy ooo but d picture is clearer nw, I ll do every in my name in akwa ibom before paying for d car. I ll give d dealer money to help change d papers to my name before anytin, I hope dts d way to go. Pls if there is anytin else let me kw.
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by chillex8(m): 9:56am On Aug 19, 2014
ogawisdom:

D vehicle is with old plate number n registered in Jos n dealer is suggesting I change it to lagos plate number.

Buying a reg car safely no easy ooo but d picture is clearer nw, I ll do every in my name in akwa ibom before paying for d car. I ll give d dealer money to help change d papers to my name before anytin, I hope dts d way to go. Pls if there is anytin else let me kw.

I smell a rat.. Why is he suggesting you change it to lagos plate no??

DON'T you think you should avail us with a picture of this car..

It could be ................

On a 2nd thought,

Is this dealer trustworthy?
Where is your current location and the car?

I'll suggest you get a plate no of the state where the car will be used frequently..
Saves you the hassles or renewal and what not..

Cheers....
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by ogawisdom(m): 10:05am On Aug 19, 2014
chillex8:

I smell a rat.. Why is he suggesting you change it to lagos plate no??

DON'T you think you should avail us with a picture of this car..

It could be ................

On a 2nd thought,

Is this dealer trustworthy?
Where is your current location and the car?

I'll suggest you get a plate no of the state where the car will be used frequently..
Saves you the hassles or renewal and what not..

Cheers....

One thing I lik abt d dealer is dt since over one month we ve been talkin abt this car he has nt for onces shown any desperation to sell. He jst takes it easy n so laid back abt sellin. He is nt rushin me at all. cool
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by CORDROSS: 11:11am On Aug 19, 2014
chillex8:

Cheers

Please the other papers are in my name now but we have not done the change of ownership tins? Please advise on the modalities or how will the document be prepared.
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by chillex8(m): 11:32am On Aug 19, 2014
CORDROSS:

Please the other papers are in my name now but we have not done the change of ownership tins? Please advise on the modalities or how will the document be prepared.

Is the "proof of ownership" document In your name? If yes, no need to worry.. Just collect a "change of ownership" document from the seller if you haven't done so already....

The "change of ownership" document is like a pact between you and the previous owner.. Its a personal document and would only be requested if the vehicle is being investigated, as in the case of a suspected stolen vehicle...

If all your vehicle papers are in your name, including the "proof of ownership", you shouldn't drive wit the "change of ownership" document..

Cheers..

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by femmy2010(m): 12:09pm On Aug 19, 2014
ogawisdom:

Ok tnks after d renewal must the papers all bear my name before any movement can b attempted. Wat if d papers r up to date but bears d previous owners name n I ve d car sales agreement n purchase receipt frm car dealer.

Since you are renewing then it certainly should be in your name as the new owner.
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by ogawisdom(m): 12:56pm On Aug 19, 2014
femmy2010:

Since you are renewing then it certainly should be in your name as the new owner.

k
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by ogawisdom(m): 4:19pm On Aug 20, 2014
chillex8:

Is the "proof of ownership" document In your name? If yes, no need to worry.. Just collect a "change of ownership" document from the seller if you haven't done so already....

The "change of ownership" document is like a pact between you and the previous owner.. Its a personal document and would only be requested if the vehicle is being investigated, as in the case of a suspected stolen vehicle...

If all your vehicle papers are in your name, including the "proof of ownership", you shouldn't drive wit the "change of ownership" document..

Cheers..

Bros I hail
D toyota carinae whose pics appeared above referred to
D deal is abt to b closed but being delayed by police clearance which ll take one week. So I am getting d following documents, all renewed n in my name help me confirm if anytin is missing.
Vehicle licence
Proof of ownership
Registration receipt
Certificate of insurance
Central motor registration
Police clearance
Road worthiness
Sales permit/authority to sell by previous owner to dealer

Sales receipt by dealer

This car was first used by a custom officer who bought it thro auction sales in 2008 as toks n d dealer bought it frm d custom officer whose name appeared in d car papers.

Renewal of all papers plus police clearance ll b done by d dealer in my name before d deal is close n I ll nw pay.
I hope I am good to go nw.
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by chillex8(m): 5:41pm On Aug 20, 2014
Ride on mate..

The deal sounds real and clean..

All the documents are in order..

Enjoy your ride.
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by ogawisdom(m): 9:28pm On Aug 20, 2014
chillex8: Ride on mate..

The deal sounds real and clean..

All the documents are in order..

Enjoy your ride.

K
Re: Help!!! Can I Buy A Naija Used Car With Expired Papers N Renew by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 26, 2014
ogawisdom:

Bros I hail
D toyota carinae whose pics appeared above referred to
D deal is abt to b closed but being delayed by police clearance which ll take one week. So I am getting d following documents, all renewed n in my name help me confirm if anytin is missing.
Vehicle licence
Proof of ownership
Registration receipt
Certificate of insurance
Central motor registration
Police clearance
Road worthiness
Sales permit/authority to sell by previous owner to dealer

Sales receipt by dealer

This car was first used by a custom officer who bought it thro auction sales in 2008 as toks n d dealer bought it frm d custom officer whose name appeared in d car papers.

Renewal of all papers plus police clearance ll b done by d dealer in my name before d deal is close n I ll nw pay.
I hope I am good to go nw.

Chei, customs Officer! Stories that touch the heart. When you hear someone paddling customs officer in a car sales talk proceed with caution. But anyways since you're buying from a recognizable car dealer worse comes to worse you can always get a refund/replacement should trouble occur. Proceed and good luck!

(1) (Reply)

My 2003 Nissan Maxima Keeps Stalling Whenever It Slows Down . / Toyota 4runner VS Corolla. / Stolen Catalyst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.