Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! (11494 Views)

Access Bank Hiring - Bsc+ Msc / Bsc Accounting/hnd/ond Accounting Needed! / A Fresh Graduate In Accounting Is Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by ednut1(m): 11:44am On Aug 19, 2014
luvola: then go and apply for the job of a doctor. shebi no course is relevant. F.g recently sacked some doctors so since no course is relevant using your analogy , go and apply for medicine job ..
hahahahahah make i go kill pple abi grin
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by luvola(m): 11:46am On Aug 19, 2014
Dammyllionaire:

Most people going around with 2.1, can they even defend their certificate? Havent we see people with lower grades performing wonderfully well than those with higher grades? Those companies asking for 2.1 as minimum requirement for employment are ignorant of the realities of Nigeria Higher Education
Also since you have BSC accounting + ACA , since you do not want to limit yourself and the course you studied is irrelevant according to your analogy , you ought to be applying for engineering ,medical , law jobs then. They will gladly accept you since all courses are irrelevant.
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by luvola(m): 11:52am On Aug 19, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin
ednut1: hahahahahah make i go kill pple abi grin
grin
ednut1: hahahahahah make i go kill pple abi grin
F.G is looking for volunteers to treat Ebola patients and the pay is nearly 50k per day. Ednut how far shebi you get BSC accounting. You can treat them !!!!! No course is relevant.. Brother Ebola is waiting
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by Estorico: 12:15pm On Aug 19, 2014
True
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by luvola(m): 12:26pm On Aug 19, 2014
Estorico: My brother I love this comment. That's why I see this ican people as thieves sometimes. Can a graduate of Accounting say he or she wants to go to Law School? Any body can go for ican and then become a chartered accountant. A graduate of engineering,after years in school will become qualified and be called a chartered accountant just like that.
R I P to BSC accounting certificates if I.C.A.N makes ACA equivalent to BSC. I heard ICAN is heading for that.
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by luvola(m): 12:27pm On Aug 19, 2014
mod push this to the front page.
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by Dammyllionaire(m): 2:17pm On Aug 19, 2014
luvola: Also since you have BSC accounting + ACA , since you do not want to limit yourself and the course you studied is irrelevant according to your analogy , you ought to be applying for engineering ,medical , law jobs then. They will gladly accept you since all courses are irrelevant.

What's the relationship or correlation between this comment and my comment you quoted? If you dont understand my comment, must you quote me?
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by luvola(m): 2:24pm On Aug 19, 2014
Dammyllionaire:

What's the relationship or correlation between this comment and my comment you quoted? If you dont understand my comment, must you quote me?
oh sorry . It ednut I want to quote not you. As you can see ,no correlation . sorry bro
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by TOYNEX(f): 2:51pm On Aug 19, 2014
sextail: I get where the OP is coming from but he should know that the first degree is nothing but a meal ticket. Most of us went to the university to study a course base on our childhood perspective or dream but that changed when we discovered our potentials. If an engineering student can prove to be much more capable in accounting field, after (s)he is certified, why waste resources on another applicant because (s)he has a degree in Accounting!
Most of what you re taught in class doesn't apply to real world.

#Peace
Da bomb
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by ahmg001(m): 3:04pm On Aug 19, 2014
i guess pipu re mixin tins up hea,if accounting is nt relevant as far as nigeria is concerned ,y wud an engineerin or law graduates want to pursue a carrear in accounting,defnitely,it means most of ds so cald law,nd engineerin courses re less marketable in naija.to butress ds point,accountant must knw sumfin abt evritin nd evritin abt somtin.also d reason y ican accepts pipu 4rm oda field is dat accountin is nt onli restricted to accounting aspect bt also requires d expertise of oda fields e.g in auditing work,

3 Likes

Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by ednut1(m): 3:20pm On Aug 19, 2014
sextail: I get where the OP is coming from but he should know that the first degree is nothing but a meal ticket. Most of us went to the university to study a course base on our childhood perspective or dream but that changed when we discovered our potentials. If an engineering student can prove to be much more capable in accounting field, after (s)he is certified, why waste resources on another applicant because (s)he has a degree in Accounting!
Most of what you re taught in class doesn't apply to real world.

#Peace
sextail aye, na u be dis hahahahahahaha grin
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by rman: 3:42pm On Aug 19, 2014
Engineering, Medicine and Science graduates will always be able to step into commercial carreer line after university education because majority of commercial courses can be read and passed with a little application of logic. Fortunately, logical reasoning with critical analysis is the bedrock of all engineering and science related courses.

Do you know why commercial students can not come into medicine or engineering careers after graduation? The fundamentals required for those starts from SS1 in secondary school. What commercial students learn about their courses in secondary can be understood by any smart individual in few weeks. That is why science and engineering graduates can read them up and pass these professional accounting exams.

1 Like

Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by luvola(m): 3:48pm On Aug 19, 2014
rman: Engineering, Medicine and Science graduates will always be able to step into commercial carreer line after university education because majority of commercial courses can be read and passed with a little application of logic. Fortunately, logical reasoning with critical analysis is the bedrock of all engineering and science related courses.

Do you know why commercial students can not come into medicine or engineering careers after graduation? The fundamentals required for those starts from JSS1 in secondary school. What commercial students learn about their courses in secondary can be understood by any smart individual in few weeks. That is why science and engineering graduates can read them up and pass these professional accounting exams.
You just hit the nail on the head.. I noticed the rate at which science graduates do pass aptitude test than the commercial graduates.
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by Nobody: 5:05pm On Aug 19, 2014
I wonder why people comment as if they're 100 percent sure of what they're saying....... Responding to the topic tthat brought about this argument, what we are mostly taught in school as an accountant is different fom what is applicable in the real term.. Citing myself as an example, I graduate in the year 2013 and we were taught SAS which is outdated.... Companies started using IFRS between 2010 and 2012. So how do you expect companies to recruit someone with Bsc or HND when we have someone that has ICAN or ACCA that have gone through the breath and length of IFRS even if such person has Bsc in another course.......... That aside, the job entry test will always favour science students because they're good at calculations cos most of their courses require it, even without calculator. However, I will say that is applicable to GMAT.... Considering other test that involves graphical interpretations, I don't see any reason, an accounting graduate should not perform well in tests like that.... Also, it will be a sad news if we can corroborate the statement made by someone earlier that the science students perform better than commercial students in training where accounting and other management related topics are being taught... If that is the case, then Bsc in accounting people in such training schools have is just useless cos people that doesn't see a chance on their field crossed to accounting and even performed than them.
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by Yinkatolu: 6:13pm On Aug 19, 2014
ICAN is profit oriented that's why they open the door for all

2 Likes

Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by luvola(m): 6:22pm On Aug 19, 2014
Yinkatolu: ICAN is profit oriented that's why they open the door for all
May God bless you for this statement. This man has summarize it all.
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by ednut1(m): 6:41pm On Aug 19, 2014
it is d same everywhere in d world nt jst ican

1 Like

Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by Omolehinme(f): 7:46pm On Aug 19, 2014
Op,you are right. The same thing is happening in education. Alot of graduates who are not trained in d university as a teacher,now engage in teaching. And when you ask them,they will tell you "am managing teaching till i get a better offer".
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by smudge2079(m): 10:03pm On Aug 19, 2014
@OP is partially right. When it comes to recruitment in all d banks & financial institutions, d playing field is level whether u studied accounting, engineering, geology or even yoruba. It isn't right but dats d kind of country we find ourselves.
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by texasbullet(m): 10:19pm On Aug 19, 2014
Nigeria! Nigeria!! Nigeria!!! . Where graduates hire machinery to write online aptitude test for them just to pass. See qualifications o
B.Sc Engr, MBA human resources, CITN, NIMN, ACA,FCA, HIV,PMP, EBOLA. Only one person just because the country is bleeped

1 Like

Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by sextail(m): 9:50am On Aug 20, 2014
ednut1:
sextail aye, na u be dis hahahahahahaha grin

Boss mi!!! AK47
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by thirty(m): 12:57pm On Aug 20, 2014

Thank you very much. Even this is one of their lapses and it’s not peculiar to ICAN.
From examination question to marking answer scripts.
From council members to exam committee.
From accreditation to qualification etc.
They are profit oriented institute and that's why they open the door for all. I wish you attend sensitisation seminar organised by ICAN on Saturday at Airport Hotel, Ikeja, Lagos where one of the lecturer compare the institute with ACCA in term of profit.

Let my start like this.

HND AND B.Sc.
The academicians/university dons and the MDs of many (not all) organisation cause and profit from this. HND holder can't progress after getting to particular level of organisation hierarchy whereas they have more technical experience than their counterparts. In ministry, you can't equate HND and B.Sc. graduate.

B.Sc. AND ICAN
To be candid, ICAN can’t not manage this dichotomy because of the Nigeria factor (corruption). Most higher institutions who are offering accounting do not want accreditation exercise in their school. Also, how many school did ICAN ready to partner with? (Don't mention BABCOCK UNIVERSITY). There are so many things wrong with ICAN syllabus 2010 that is why they can't wait till 2015 to introduce the new one. We hope this one will be all right.

Back to topic of discussion, immediately after your B.sc/HND qualifications please go for (Audit/Tax) training. There are lot of opportunities/exposure out there. You may not even take ICAN or work for any organisation before you prosper. Please don't wait for BIG FOUR, they will do you little favour most especially if don't qualify in time.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by bdazzled: 3:35pm On Feb 09, 2016
chemicstein:
I can't help but feel the pain of accounting graduates being overshadowed in the big 4 accnting firms....I was surprised to find out that most people I had interview with in one of the big 4 are science n engineering graduates...to crown it all up..the interviewer asked me if I have plans on going for Ican....I was confused cos I neva knew by then that I can go for ican with my science bckgrnd.......my advice to accountants is try be the best in what you do...this is your field there are things peculiar to accnting profession you know that we outsiders don't....you can use such things/points to knock us off during interviews........but you have to pass the aptitude test first o

You see, you have to pass the aptitude text first, which i know a science graduate or an engineering graduate is good at, especially an engineering student......i tell people if the aptitude test is purely accounting questions, you can now say an Accounting graduate will have an upper hand than a science graduate.... I am an Accounting graduate, i tell myself at times assuming i had studied another course and probably do ICAN then i will still be on the same level with someone that studied Accounting. Most of my friends that are chartered now and studied mayb mathematics in school use to laugh and say are we not the same thing now? ...... I feel the fault is from the INSTITUTE and also the COMPANIES, imagine an HR manager telling me i prefer science students because they are better than Accounting students because they are fast in learning, can you imagine.... And regarding the softwares anybody can learn those softwares so far you will be trained....in as much as Accounting graduates cannot just migrate to a science field and practice due to some of their technicalities i feel the body regulating the whole Accounting thing in this country should also put some form of technicalities in our field too, to at least make it a bit more challenging for those that dont have BSC/HND in Accounting....i cannot just go and do a professional course in medecine now and move to the theartre na / THATS MY TAKE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by SarahD(f): 5:37pm On Feb 09, 2016
Nice thread for discussion. Another problem with this is the type of industry a company is engaged in. For instance, an oil and gas company who is into a lot of engineering works like drilling, construction and mining would prefer a candidate from the engineering department because they can be versatile and would understand the rubrics involved in their work while an accounting graduate will find it difficult to understand the terms and activities involved in an engineering or construction company. An accounting graduate cannot easily change roles and help out in urgent situations. Thus these companies would prefer an engineering or science graduate, who is versatile and can come in handy in urgent situations.
If you study the employment sector, you would discover that companies into commercial activities like buying and selling, service sectors logistics, real estates, and transportation always required Account graduates or courses with an Accounting background while those in major engineering, construction, medical and mining sectors prefer to employ graduates from the science and engineering courses to handle their accounting needs.
I believe this is one of the reasons the KPMG and the likes always prefer graduates from engineering and pure sciences. (Their major clients operate in the mining, drilling and construction sectors).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by freefrank13: 5:55pm On Feb 09, 2016
I think its better for ican and all other Accounting certifying bodies to certify only those with accounting as their first degree.
since an accountant cant go to law school or even make it compulsory after first degree u do either one yr or six months program that makes u a chartered accountant
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by yvesboss(m): 8:00pm On Feb 09, 2016
sholatech:
Totally Disagree with you. I guess you only looking from perspective of working in an accounting firm. Accountants are needed everywhere, not only in acct firms. In many organisations, full accounting job positions still require bsc or hnd accounting, and since acct is more of an art, it is more important to have accounting experience. In public sector, account degree still matters. And to lecture or have Msc Accounting, u still require First degree in accounting. What then do u say about Bsc Banking and Finance, if looking only at working in Nigeria?

Disagree with you...cuz i have a lot of friends that studied agric and works as an accountant in good organisations...how??

ATS and ICAN.
MY bsc acct is rubbish
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by sholatech(m): 8:11pm On Feb 09, 2016
yvesboss:

Disagree with you...cuz i have a lot of friends that studied agric and works as an accountant in good organisations...how??

ATS and ICAN.
MY bsc acct is rubbish

You have agric graduates that work as accountants in Nigeria Public Sector?
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by yvesboss(m): 9:24pm On Feb 09, 2016
sholatech:

just have ACA...then yoruba graduate will work there
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by AbbyE: 10:17am On Feb 10, 2016
sholatech:

As long as they have ICAN, YES they do
Re: Bsc Accounting Is Becoming Irrelevant !!!! by TheVictorious(m): 4:38am On Apr 01, 2020
sholatech:
Totally Disagree with you. I guess you only looking from perspective of working in an accounting firm. Accountants are needed everywhere, not only in acct firms. In many organisations, full accounting job positions still require bsc or hnd accounting, and since acct is more of an art, it is more important to have accounting experience. In public sector, account degree still matters. And to lecture or have Msc Accounting, u still require First degree in accounting. What then do u say about Bsc Banking and Finance, if looking only at working in Nigeria?

You don't require a BSc in accounting to do an accounting MBA in many top schools abroad!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Procter and Gamble is Recruiting / Mainstreet Bank Calling For Assessment. / Discountenance Job Offers From Us, INEC Warns Job-seeking Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.