Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,050 members, 7,956,910 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:17 PM

Lionel Messi Interviewed By TIMES Recently, What He Has To Say - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lionel Messi Interviewed By TIMES Recently, What He Has To Say (907 Views)

Lionel Messi's Son Thiago Shows Off Football Skills On Italian Beach / Top Ten Smoking Footballers: Jack Wilshere, Lionel Messi And More Seth Williams / VIDEO: Nigeria Only Independent Gold Medalist - Chioma Ajunwa Interviewed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lionel Messi Interviewed By TIMES Recently, What He Has To Say by Finepaparazy(m): 7:15pm On Aug 18, 2014

TIME’s Bobby Ghosh sat down for an interview with soccer great Lionel Messi. Off the field, Messi lives a quiet life, with his father in a Barcelona suburb. Here, the naturally reserved Messi offers some insights into his sport and life.

TIME:
You have a low-key lifestyle. Why is that?

LIONEL MESSI:
I’ve always been this way, ever since I was young. I’ve always really just liked football, and I’ve always devoted a lot of time to it. When I was a kid, my friends would call me to go out with them, but I would stay home because I had practice the next day. I like going out, but you have to know when you can and when you can’t. That's why I say nothing's changed since I was young. My friends would go out and I’d stay home. But not for nothing, because I knew it had to be that way, and at that moment, I was dedicated to football.

TIME:
What were your first experiences at Barcelona's famous La Masía training school like?

MESSI:
It helped me a lot because I came [from Argentina] alone, and I was with all the guys in the Masía, I was one of them. We were all from someplace else, and we helped each other. The truth is that there were a lot of happy moments because we were there together for a lot of time, and the relationships between all of us got stronger and stronger. Lots of happy times.

TIME:
When Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo scores in a game, do you feel pressure to do likewise?

MESSI:
No. I care about how Madrid’s doing because they’re competing against us, and they’re in our League, and because almost every year, we compete for the title. But against Ronaldo, no.

TIME:
You seem to be very competitive, how do you feel when you lose?

MESSI:
I am competitive and I feel bad when we lose. You can see it in me when we’ve lost. I’m in a bad way. I don’t like to talk to anyone. I just retreat into myself and go over the game in my head: the things that went wrong, what I did wrong, why we didn’t win.

TIME:
How long do you brood?

MESSI:
Until the next game. Luckily we play a lot, so it happens quickly.

TIME:
Does playing for Argentina in the World Cup bring a different kind of pressure?

MESSI:
No, we feel pressure with every match: not just me, but anyone who’s on a national team. What I can say that I learned [in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil ] is that the most important thing is that the team be strong, that they be united. That’s what’s important in a tournament that is so short.

TIME:
How did you feel when fellow Argentines criticized you for your performances with the national team in the last World Cup?

MESSI:
Yes, yes, it hurt; it bothered me. Because they said things that weren’t true—that I didn’t care as much about wearing the [Argentine] shirt. I didn’t feel that, I didn’t think that. And now, I think what people there understand that this is a team game, and that I try to play the same way there as I do in Barcelona, and always do the best I can.

TIME:
Your countrymen are finally warming to you. Why do you think that is?

MESSI:
You see it in the affection that people there have, for what they say on television. Before, there was a lot of criticism and everything was bad. And now it’s not like that. That’s good, because every country I go to, people have always received me very well, and in my own country that wasn't happening.

TIME:
What do you think of the reception you get from fans around the world?

MESSI:
Incredible. It’s happened in a lot of countries I’ve visited, but it’s still surprising. I never imagined that so far from Spain or Argentina, people would have this affection for me. It makes me very happy.

All credits to:- http://Naijapady.Tk
Re: Lionel Messi Interviewed By TIMES Recently, What He Has To Say by HOMOTOYOSI10: 7:37pm On Aug 18, 2014
b
Re: Lionel Messi Interviewed By TIMES Recently, What He Has To Say by ejihand1(m): 10:28pm On Aug 18, 2014
HOMOTOYOSI10: b
Banned this man please MOD. If you can't ban him , then ban me. The most important thing is that one of us got banned. Booking space just in case it made front page. What nonsense!

.... Hmm , I have forgotten what I wanted to say. anyway, messi you are too much.
Re: Lionel Messi Interviewed By TIMES Recently, What He Has To Say by tuffgongjo(m): 8:33am On Aug 19, 2014
Nice one,but I disagree with his "no competition with ronaldo" storyline.
Re: Lionel Messi Interviewed By TIMES Recently, What He Has To Say by Goke7: 9:50am On Aug 19, 2014
tuffgongjo: Nice one,but I disagree with his "no competition with ronaldo" storyline.

and also with the way he said he reacts when he looses a game, messi should be more matured now, he's no longer a small boy, he can't be winning all the time
Re: Lionel Messi Interviewed By TIMES Recently, What He Has To Say by tuffgongjo(m): 9:52am On Aug 19, 2014
Goke7:

and also with the way he said he reacts when he looses a game, messi should be more matured now, he's no longer a small boy, he can't be winning all the time
they say "old character is hard to crack".
Re: Lionel Messi Interviewed By TIMES Recently, What He Has To Say by mainheart(m): 9:52am On Aug 19, 2014
humble guy
Re: Lionel Messi Interviewed By TIMES Recently, What He Has To Say by Finepaparazy(m): 2:52am On Aug 20, 2014
That's just an interview..

But Ronaldo remains the best to me..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Revealed: Why Super Eagles Lost Against Congo On Saturday / Off Topic Discussion Thread: Football Of Yesteryears... / Liverpool Ladies FC Sign Nigerian Football Star Asisat Oshoala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.