Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,618 members, 7,955,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:11 PM

Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? (4373 Views)

General Idi Amin Of Uganda / Popular Quotes By Idi Amin Of Uganda / White Men Bowing To Idi Amin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by abdulwastecx(m): 4:41am On Aug 26, 2014
GenBuhari: We need to stop allowing the white man to write our own history (about African leaders) for you and do your own research about them.

When I discovered that Abacha never looted and was a great leader, I decided to take another look at all the other African leaders that have been demonised by their former colonial masters and the white man in general. It is an eye opener that most have been the good leaders for their people.

Your postulation about buhari is very bias and disgraceful to the people of Nigeria especially to the family of people jailed by an illiterate.

Abacha is lacks intelligence and know how because he was an ignorant fool, the sorry thing some people still idolized him because he is from the north
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 4:59am On Aug 26, 2014
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 5:11am On Aug 26, 2014
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 5:14am On Aug 26, 2014
I tend to agree with your list of clueless Nigerian leaders with exception of Abacha. Who a great African leader also demonised by the white man.
abdulwastecx:

we don't need the west to tell us how clueless some of African leaders are....

if they cannot do anything with the vast mineral resources we have in our, it summarized their incapability and lack of basic knowledge.

African leaders are not technocrats or patron by nature because of too many allegiance such as religion and ethnicity with ever increasing corruption and gross lack of knowledge.

idi ami, IBB, Abacha, Gadafi, OBJ, All ex Nigeria head of state are criminals and buffoon of IQ a bit better than that of Chimps
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 5:21am On Aug 26, 2014
Buhari was right to jail everyone accused of looting until proved innocent. He was recovering looting funds until IBB overthrew and released them all.

Abacha was a great African leader , just ask the people of Sierra Leone and Liberia
abdulwastecx:

Your postulation about buhari is very bias and disgraceful to the people of Nigeria especially to the family of people jailed by an illiterate.

Abacha is lacks intelligence and know how because he was an ignorant fool, the sorry thing some people still idolized him because he is from the north
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by birdman(m): 5:46am On Aug 26, 2014
GenBuhari: You have basically confirmed that you choose to form your opinion from the white man's portrayal and demonisation of him in their news stories and hollywood movies.

Am I right or wrong?

Wrong. I dont care if the facts come from a white man or a black man. I have a brain, and I can judge information from several sources to come up with a conclusion. Unlike you, I am not swayed by 2 minute videos. Since you like to read what you want into my statements, let me put this in bold for you: I look at at what Idi Ami says, what his detractors and his supporters say, and then I look at his actions (they speak louder than words).

Wait why am I even arguing with you undecided? Arent you one of those dudes who thinks Abacha is good guy because he was against western imperialism. In your rush to anoint black saviours, you forget the same man murdered Saro Wiwa, Kudirat, Pa Rewane and a host of others. Your eagerness to find facts fitting your narrative would make you ignore those crazy Abacha days when simply driving by the SSS complex in Abuja would make almost break into a sweat. Even the fearless Soyinka had to be convinced to flee. So, if you want to hide in your den of ignorance, it is your own wahala. Just realize that you sound very unwise to most thinking people.

2 Likes

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by EMANY01(m): 2:21pm On Aug 26, 2014
birdman:

Wrong. I dont care if the facts come from a white man or a black man. I have a brain, and I can judge information from several sources to come up with a conclusion. Unlike you, I am not swayed by 2 minute videos. Since you like to read what you want into my statements, let me put this in bold for you: I look at at what Idi Ami says, what his detractors and his supporters say, and then I look at his actions (they speak louder than words).

Wait why am I even arguing with you undecided? Arent you one of those dudes who thinks Abacha is good guy because he was against western imperialism. In your rush to anoint black saviours, you forget the same man murdered Saro Wiwa, Kudirat, Pa Rewane and a host of others. Your eagerness to find facts fitting your narrative would make you ignore those crazy Abacha days when simply driving by the SSS complex in Abuja would make almost break into a sweat. Even the fearless Soyinka had to be convinced to flee. So, if you want to hide in your den of ignorance, it is your own wahala. Just realize that you sound very unwise to most thinking people.

You really have time for that guy,ask any individual with a functioning brain on nairaland and they would tell you that he is a lost case.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Aug 26, 2014
Ok. It basically boils down to the fact that given all the sources of information available you chose to believe the version of the white man. I don't blame you because it is difficult to break away from mental slavery.

Abacha is another African hero demonised by the white man because he sent their IMF and World Bank packing.

Please wake up.
birdman:

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 26, 2014
I am open to be convinced if you have better evidence than mine then bring it. Stop making baseless insults.
EMANY01:

You really have time for that guy,ask any individual with a functioning brain on nairaland and they would tell you that he is a lost case.
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by birdman(m): 12:10am On Aug 27, 2014
GenBuhari: I am open to be convinced if you have better evidence than mine then bring it. Stop making baseless insults.

His accusations are not baseless. You skipped all the murders that Abacha committed and went right on to repeating your story. Or you need evidence of Saro Wiwa's execution? You are not open to anything stop deceiving yourself. In this thread alone, we can see how you draw conclusions, and frankly it is scary. Like I said before, feel free to stay in the den of ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 12:28am On Aug 27, 2014
Saro Wiwa does not count because he was not murdered he was convicted by a military tribunal after a full trial and due process and his sentence was execution.

It has since transpired that Shell had framed Saro Wiwa and bribed witnesses to get Saro Wiwa convicted- this was not Abacha fault he simply allowed the legal process run its course.

The others you mentioned cannot be blamed on Abacha because they were not killed in regime's custody anybody could have killed Kudirat. In fact it is illogical that Abacha would kill Abiola's wife whilst keeping Abiola himself alive in prison. She was probably killed by the same dark forces that eventually killed Abacha and Abiola, in order to de-stablise his regime.
birdman:

His accusations are not baseless. You skipped all the murders that Abacha committed and went right on to repeating your story. Or you need evidence of Saro Wiwa's execution? You are not open to anything stop deceiving yourself. In this thread alone, we can see how you draw conclusions, and frankly it is scary. Like I said before, feel free to stay in the den of ignorance.

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:51am On Aug 27, 2014
A hero he is and will always b ..many Ugandans will tell you that ..and I will take their words over any Neanderthal caveman....

Also most of the time those people killed were western stooge

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by birdman(m): 1:06am On Aug 27, 2014
GenBuhari: Saro Wiwa does not count because he was not murdered he was convicted by a military tribunal after a full trial and due process and his sentence was execution.

It has since transpired that Shell had framed Saro Wiwa and bribed witnesses to get Saro Wiwa convicted- this was not Abacha fault he simply allowed the legal process run its course.

The others you mentioned cannot be blamed on Abacha because they were not killed in regime's custody anybody could have killed Kudirat. In fact it is illogical that Abacha would kill Abiola's wife whilst keeping Abiola himself alive in prison. She was probably killed by the same dark forces that eventually killed Abacha and Abiola, in order to de-stablise his regime.

Wao! Saro Wiwa had due process? Soyinka fled for nothing? Sgt Rogers? Al Mustapha? Activists walking into SSS HQ and not coming out? Dear God. Lol. So you are a hypocrite. And you have the balls to criticize GEJ. Im bookmarking this thread, so that if I catch you attempting to form nonsense about good governance on any other thread, I can point your listeners to this thread.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by bknight: 3:55pm On Aug 27, 2014
grin grin grin
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by thoth: 5:18am On Sep 03, 2014
birdman:

Wao! Saro Wiwa had due process? Soyinka fled for nothing? Sgt Rogers? Al Mustapha? Activists walking into SSS HQ and not coming out? Dear God. Lol. So you are a hypocrite. And you have the balls to criticize GEJ. Im bookmarking this thread, so that if I catch you attempting to form nonsense about good governance on any other thread, I can point your listeners to this thread.
i have been on the sideline waiting patiently for you to prove somehow that Abacha killed Saro Wiwa or any of the people you mentioned …maybe now you could do that.
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by birdman(m): 1:48pm On Sep 03, 2014
thoth:
i have been on the sideline waiting patiently for you to prove somehow that Abacha killed Saro Wiwa or any of the people you mentioned …maybe now you could do that.

Prove what has been proven with evidence in lawsuits against shell? They couldnt sue Abacha because the chances of getting a a fair judgement in Nigeria is zero. But they could sue Shell because it was a foreign company, and therefore could be sued in a place with a sane legal system.

But let me play your game for a second.

You are suggesting that Saro Wiwa was murdered without any input from Abacha.
That the specially convened military tribunal and the execution (hanging) by the military had no Abacha input.
Somehow Abacha didnt know about Shell paying witnesses who would later recant
Abacha was busy with something else and didnt notice the rape and pillaging of the Ogoni.
The repeated frustrations of the Ogoni 9's lawyers (who would quit) was an accident. Abacha had nothing to do with it.
That somehow, convicting the Ogoni 9 without proper defense was a fair thing, and Abacha could have done nothing about it.

While you are at it, lets ignore Sgt Rogers and Al Mustapha's confessions Or the numerous student activists who were disappeared by the SSS. Somehow, Soyinka became afraid of his own shadow overnight. LOL

All these are events recorded in multiple newspapers, home and abroad, and vetted as evidence in two justice systems. But somehow, the same Abacha that was so powerful even IBB had to mechonu, the same one that jailed a sultan without any recourse...somehow this same Abacha had no control in the Ogoni case. *I have to SMH here*

You are willing to swallow this much BS just because you think Abacha "stood up to the white man". Whatever Abacha did, he didnt do it out of patriotism or black nationalism. Abacha was a mad man who fought anything that stood in his way (white, black, christian, muslim etc), fact that would lead to the engineering of his death. May your (and GenBuhari's) need to appoint black saviours not lead you to embracing mad men, criminals and despots. AMEN!

2 Likes

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by EMANY01(m): 1:59pm On Sep 03, 2014
birdman:

Prove what has been proven with evidence in lawsuits against shell? They couldnt sue Abacha because the chances of getting a a fair judgement in Nigeria is zero. But they could sue Shell because it was a foreign company, and therefore could be sued in a place with a sane legal system.

That the specially convened military tribunal and the execution (hanging) by the military had no Abacha input.
Abacha was busy with something else and didnt notice the rape and pillaging of the Ogoni.
The repeated frustrations of the Ogoni 9's lawyers (who would quit) was an accident. Abacha had nothing to do with it.
That somehow, convicting the Ogoni 9 without proper defense was a fair thing, and Abacha could have done nothing about it.

While you are at it, lets ignore Sgt Rogers and Al Mustapha's confessions Or the numerous student activists who were disappeared by the SSS. Somehow, Soyinka became afraid of his own shadow overnight. LOL

All these are events recorded in multiple newspapers, home and abroad, and vetted as evidence in two justice systems. But somehow, the same Abacha that was so powerful even IBB had to mechonu, the same one that jailed a sultan without any recourse...somehow this same Abacha had no control in the Ogoni case. *I have to SMH here*

You are willing to swallow this much BS just because you think Abacha "stood up to the white man". Whatever Abacha did, he didnt do it out of patriotism or black nationalism. Abacha was a mad man who fought anything that stood in his way, fact that would lead to the engineering of his death. May your (and GenBuhari's) need to appoint balck saviours not lead you to embracing mad men, criminals and despots. AMEN!

Why you waste energy debating with the likes of that one I do not know.I just sigh and ignore them until they come out in real life to say that sh.it.They should try it in real life that's all I ask.
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by birdman(m): 2:03pm On Sep 03, 2014
GenBuhari:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4862E-YF-0

LOL. You just confirmed Idi Amin is a fool and you dont even know it. Did those same businessmen not humiliate Idi Amin in the end? Why do you focus too much of what is immediately before you and ignore long term consequences?

So you made a few white men kneel down before you. OK. How does that help you when they stand up and then take over your country. What is the use of physically humiliating people, and then handing over all you have due to your lack of wisdom. Did the first Europeans not pay homage to our forefathers? Where did that get us? Guys, you are falling my hand big time. Please put your thinking caps back on. Thanks in advance undecided
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by EMANY01(m): 3:24pm On Sep 03, 2014
birdman:

LOL. You just confirmed Idi Amin is a fool and you dont even know it. Did those same businessmen not humiliate Idi Amin in the end? Why do you focus too much of what is immediately before you and ignore long term consequences?

So you made a few white men kneel down before you. OK. How does that help you when they stand up and then take over your country. What is the use of physically humiliating people, and then handing over all you have due to your lack of wisdom. Did the first Europeans not pay homage to our forefathers? Where did that get us? Guys, you are falling my hand big time. Please put your thinking caps back on. Thanks in advance undecided

Chop knuckle abeg.
The westerners have a phrase "stoop to conquer " .Simply because someone is compelled to kneel before you does not mean you are smarter than them or that you have won.
The Obasanjo Atiku kneeling incident in 2007 is a great example.Yes Obasanjo knelt before Atiku begging him but where did they both end up.That very event probably precipitated Atikus fall from power.

2 Likes

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by birdman(m): 11:55pm On Sep 03, 2014
EMANY01:

Why you waste energy debating with the likes of that one I do not know.I just sigh and ignore them until they come out in real life to say that sh.it.They should try it in real life that's all I ask.

good point. that being said, thoth often has well articulated and cerebral views. On Abacha though, he is waaaaaaay off the mark grin. GenBuhari seems to me more like a north agenda type of dude, based on the sum total of posts I have seen from him.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by thoth: 4:09pm On Sep 04, 2014
birdman:

You are willing to swallow this much BS just because you think Abacha "stood up to the white man". Whatever Abacha did, he didnt do it out of patriotism or black nationalism. Abacha was a mad man who fought anything that stood in his way (white, black, christian, muslim etc), fact that would lead to the engineering of his death. May your (and GenBuhari's) need to appoint black saviours not lead you to embracing mad men, criminals and despots. AMEN!
there is a lot lumped together in the above post of yours, i do understand your view though that does not make you right.
on saro wiwa's issue: what inputs exactly did Abacha make in his conviction ? in the documents released on the investigation made after wikileaks revelations where or what evidence suggested that the regime was aware that the witnesses were false ? Do you know that of all the witnesses all were Ogoni except 2 ? what is special about the tribunal from others during the regime(military) ?
Are you aware of the changes in the terms of the contract between Nigeria and most of the multinational companies 5 months into Abacha's regime? when was the first time the pollution caused by the oil companies were ever investigated ? what sanctions came as a result of that investigation ?
Look i am not a sentimental man and rarely judge people based on a single performance, you should look into saro wiwa case again and ignore the foreign tabloids this time.

On the issue of Sgt Rogers and Co ,well…… i will just say that only men who has experienced a neocolonial war against their nation would understand the need for such gallant men. People who has never been in a position that requires them to lead more than 5000 heads would never get it.
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by birdman(m): 3:39am On Sep 05, 2014
thoth:
On the issue of Sgt Rogers and Co ,well…… i will just say that only men who has experienced a neocolonial war against their nation would understand the need for such gallant men. People who has never been in a position that requires them to lead more than 5000 heads would never get it.

Definition of gallantry from dictionary.com

dashing courage; heroic bravery; noble-minded behavior[
Synonyms:1. daring, valor, heroism. 2. chivalry, courtliness.

@emany01 alas you were right! I was wasting my time. Sgt rogers was gallant? grin grin grin
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Caseless2: 5:14pm On Sep 06, 2014
GenBuhari: I have only just started to look at his story so I am still learning about him.

One thing I have learnt about African leaders in history is that those the white man portrays as evil and bad are usually the patriotic.

In his case apart from the outrageous unproven claims of him being a mass murderer and drinking human blood, the hard facts remains that he looked after the interests of his people. He was an African nationalist who when hosted OAU he made a very pro-Africa and anti-imperialist opening speech - no wonder the white man has been trying discrediting since 1971.

But the truth is a stubborn thing it would keep popping up.

The obvious similarity with General Buhari of Nigeria is that they are both patriotic and were not willing to merely be the stooge of their former colonial masters.
when i saw one documentary on idi amin, i was forced to believe that the west wld not allow u a good name if u stand up to them and put ur pple first.
Idi amin was a good man!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Caseless2: 5:20pm On Sep 06, 2014
sheffyUTD:

This summarises my view of him

"When asked about allegations of cannibalism, instead of denying it he replied 'I don't like human flesh. It's too salty for me.''
bring link to d video whr u saw him givin that response.
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Sep 17, 2014
Absolute truth!
Caseless2: when i saw one documentary on idi amin, i was forced to believe that the west wld not allow u a good name if u stand up to them and put ur pple first.
Idi amin was a good man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2cnW-Mvax4&list=UUMQOLBMYxeVLCX3cUWfmbOQ&index=15
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 17, 2014
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Sep 17, 2014
Idi Amin warns his cabinet about CIA agents trying to topple his govt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_KlKiS4TXo&index=5&list=UUMQOLBMYxeVLCX3cUWfmbOQ
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 17, 2014
You just revealed yourself to be a white man IMO smiley
birdman:

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by birdman(m): 2:16am On Sep 18, 2014
GenBuhari: You just revealed yourself to be a white man IMO smiley

really? you are trying to get me to react. its all good general grin
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Sep 26, 2014
Well if you are not a white man, then you may be suffering from house slave syndrome
birdman:

really? you are trying to get me to react. its all good general grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxDXjpC-tsc
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by red101(f): 5:16am On Sep 27, 2014
GenBuhari: Abacha is another African hero

huh? what planet are you from?

I'm willing to bet you're most likely an African American. I've noticed there are a few like you on this website. idealizing and talking amorously about all the worst things that ever happened to Africa.. please move there already because you need a serious reality check.
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by birdman(m): 12:49am On Sep 28, 2014
GenBuhari: Well if you are not a white man, then you may be suffering from house slave syndrome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxDXjpC-tsc

Thanks. Godspeed to you too.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hillary Clinton Appears Before Rally Completely Naked (SEE PHOTOS).. / Sister Of Sandy-hook Victim Gun-control Plea To Obama / New King Of England King Charles Refuses To Shake Hands With A Black Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.