Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,600 members, 7,820,147 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? (15995 Views)

NGWA PEOPLE: Are They Really Cannibals? / Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba / Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:11am On Aug 21, 2014
Calling Igbos "cannibals of Nigeria" is fast becoming a past time for tribalists in this forum.

Based on my knowledge of cultural synergy and relations among neighboring groups, I called bullshit on this allegation and did some reading. In the end, I confirmed my suspicions that many Nigerians represent the case of the pot calling the kettle black. First class hypocrites.

Flora Shaw on Southern Nigeria:

Inhabitants.?—?The population of Nigeria is estimated at 15,000,000. The Europeans (mostly British) number about a thousand, and are civil servants, soldiers, traders or missionaries. In the delta district and the forest zone the inhabitants are typical negroes. Besides the people of Benin, the coast tribes include the Jekri (Itshekiri), living on the lower part of the Benin river and akin to the Yoruba, the Ijos, living in the delta east of the main mouth of the Niger, and the Ibos, occupying a wide tract of country just above the delta and extending for 100 m. east from the Niger to the Cross river. South of the Ibos live the Aros, a tribe of relatively great intelligence, who dominated many of the surrounding tribes and possessed an oracle or ju-ju of reputed great power. On the middle Cross river live the Akuna-kunas, an agricultural race, and in the Calabar region are the Efiks, Ibibios and Kwas. All these tribes are fetish worshippers, though Christian and Moslem missionaries have made numerous converts. The Efiks, a coast tribe which has come much into contact with white men, have adopted several European customs, and educated Efiks are employed in government service. The great secret society called Egbo (q.v.) is an Efik institution. Each tribe has a different ju-ju, and each speaks a separate language or dialect, the most widely diffused tongues being the Ibo and Efik, which have been reduced to writing. In general little clothing is worn, but none of the tribes go absolutely nude. In colour the majority are dark chocolate, others are coal-black (a tint much admired by the natives themselves) or dark yellow-brown. Cannibalism, human sacrifices and other revolting practices common to the tribes, are being gradually stamped out under British control. Trial by ordeal and domestic slavery are still among the recognized institutions.

Flora Shaw On Middle-Belters:

In general the people living in the river valleys have been unaffected by Moslem propaganda either in blood or religion. Thus along the banks of the Niger, Benue and other streams, the inhabitants are negro and pagans, and generally of a purely savage though often rather fine type. Of these the Munshi, who inhabit the district nearest the junction of the Benue with the Niger, were long noted for their intractability and hostility to strangers, whom they attacked with poisoned arrows. The Yoraghums, their neighbours, were cannibals. Nearer Yola live the Battas, who also had a bad reputation.These tribes, under British influence, are turning to trade and agricultural pursuits. In the central hilly region of Kachia are other pagan tribes. They wear no clothes and their bodies are covered with hair. South of the Benue, near the Niger confluence, dwell the savage and warlike Okpotos, Bassas and other tribes. In the districts of Illorin and Borgu, west of the Niger, the inhabitants are also negroes and pagan, but of a more advanced type than the tribes of the river valleys. To attempt any complete list of the tribes inhabiting Northern Nigeria would be vain. In the one province of Bauchi as many as sixty native languages are spoken.

Annang Cannibalism:

The Right to Life
Apart from the cannibalistic, fetish and barbarous Annang of pre-Christian Africa, the authentic Annang society believes in the primacy of life. This is attested to in the adage: “uwem adi imo” (life is wealth); “itong ama adu uwem akongo nkwa” (when the neck lives it shall wear beads), “uwem/ajen akan inyene” (life/child is greater than riches), and so on. The Annang go extra mile to preserve the sanctity of life. They believe that we live our lives in trust. Thus a suicide is not given any befitting burial in Annang land since he or she is believed to infringe on the sacredness of life (Essien: 2008). Such is thrown into the forest. Even when they lose any member (except a suicide) the Annang exert much time and energy to give befitting burial, since they believe in reincarnation and the spirit-world. Their beliefs in reincarnation and also in the land of the spirit, the spirit-world, manifest a tripartite structure of human personality in Annang world view. The human person is composed of body, soul and spirit. At the death of the body, the soul enters into the cycle of reincarnation while the spirit goes to the land of the spirits, designated “awio-ekpo”. The spirit lives in the spirit-world depending on whether the person was virtuous. If he or she was not virtuous, his or her spirit is believed to roam the world. Thus, that is why they are believed to appear as ghosts. This tri-partite conception of human nature in Annang society vitiates psychosomaticism and establishes a psychosomapneumaticism (the idea that soul, body and spirit make up the human person). The Annang child is taught that it is wrong to kill since life is sacred.

Article alluding to Ogoni Cannibalism:

ONCE feared for their reputation for cannibalism, the small Ogoni ethnic group in southeastern Nigeria have mounted a David and Goliath struggle against the military government and the most powerful transnational company in the country, the Anglo-Dutch giant Shell.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bitter-end-to-ogoni-struggle-1581525.html

Yoruba Ogboni Cult:

Sanctions tend to vary according to the perceived offenses but details about the sanctions such as the type, the mode and the enforcement are scarce. If blood was spilled in a fight, the fighters would have to pay a fine and provide animals for sacrifice. If a wrongdoer denied a charge against him, he would be compelled to declare "If I am innocent, I will come to no harm. If I did the thing they are inquiring into, may I die in two days" (Ibid., 366). Most Ogboni rituals involved the sacrificing of animals, but according to Morton-Williams, some rituals used to include forced suicide, poisoning, human sacrifice and cannibalism. For example, if an Oba embarked on a course of action of which the Obgoni disapproved, he would have been coerced into committing suicide (Ibid., 367). If someone in the Obgoni cult broke the code of secrecy, "the Ogboni will try to poison him, or to paralyse him by casting a spell on his footprints" (Ibid., 370).

http://www.ecoi.net/local_link/189348/307388_de.html
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:11am On Aug 21, 2014
Irigwe's of the middle belt (Plateau State):

Historically, the Irigwe practiced ritualized forms of cannibalism and head-hunting...

More below:

[url]http://books.google.com/books?id=MdaAdBC-_S4C&pg=PA242&lpg=PA242&dq=itsekiri+cannibalism&source=bl&ots=dO4SpKwfaX&sig=zLnpCv9jIK9SCj5hKe13gOWBRP8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LHn1U8OdFrPfsAT8g4LgCA&ved=0CDwQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=itsekiri%20cannibalism&f=false[/url]

Brass People (Ijaw/Bayelsa):

Cannibalism was also one of the sweet things of the past all over the Protectorate. Even the Brass natives, who were a fairly civilized people, most of whom could talk English, and in whose town, Nimbe, there was a mission-station, with a sweet little church, were not beyond it. And after their successful raid on Akassa, mentioned above, most of them killed and ate the Kroo boy prisoners they had taken there. There was one brilliant exception. Chief Warri, now the head chief of that part of the world, who kept his prisoners, treated them exceedingly well, and sent them all down to the Vice-Consulate afterwards. Amongst the cannibals was the son of a chief just returned from England, where he had been for some years being educated in a missionary college.

http://www.cristoraul.com/ENGLISH/readinghall/Chapters-of-modern-history/THE-BENIN-MASSACRE-OF-1897.htm

Among the Calabar/Efik, Enyong Creek was particularly notorious for its widespread cannibalism, which was of great concern to Mary Slessor when she first stepped there. See excerpt as per google books:

[url]http://books.google.com/books?id=ezoAAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA190&lpg=PA190&dq=calabar+cannibalism&source=bl&ots=M15E2XcMe6&sig=8EIUU4n7OmMZd_ddpr54QxoCmvY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-n31U5bKEdHhsAS96IHQBg&ved=0CD4Q6AEwBDge#v=onepage&q=calabar%20cannibalism&f=false[/url]
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:25am On Aug 21, 2014
Ok, so the wretchedly demented cannibals cut across other ethnic groups. Didn't the above historical piece mention how to eradicate those cannibalistic souls? grin
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:46am On Aug 21, 2014
The only collective that appears clean by virtue of colonial documents are the core north Hausas and Fulanis.

I suspect though that this is owed to their being converted to Islam for longer than the Minority Northern and Southern tribes. I am absolutely certain that their pagan ancestors practiced cannibalism by virtue of proximity to other groups.
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Fulaman198(m): 6:48am On Aug 21, 2014
chulla12: The only collective that appears clean by virtue of colonial documents are the core north Hausas and Fulanis.

I suspect though that this is owed to their being converted to Islam for longer than the Minority Northern and Southern tribes. I am absolutely certain that their pagan ancestors practiced cannibalism by virtue of proximity to other groups.

Fulani people never did, we have always been cattle herders. So no. You never also responded to my email

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Sibrah: 6:50am On Aug 21, 2014
This is August 2014 Mr OP.
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:53am On Aug 21, 2014
Fulaman198:

Fulani people never did, we have always been cattle herders. So no. You never also responded to my email

I was meaning to, actually. Check your email in 30 minutes.
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Fulaman198(m): 6:54am On Aug 21, 2014
chulla12:

I was meaning to, actually. Check your email in 30 minutes.

Ok
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by kernel504(m): 7:06am On Aug 21, 2014
I love this article, please can you send it to my mail box @
kernelkerry9@gmail.com
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by hushmail: 8:15am On Aug 21, 2014
flora shaw was wrong as any one can see
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:25am On Aug 21, 2014
Actually, I have a feeling that virtually all cultures around the world practiced cannibalism at various points in history. e.g. in periods of famine, some even doing so as a form of ritual.

The Romans documented cannibalism among the savage British tribes. I am even sure that the Romans indulged in such when they were savages being taught by their Greek superiors. Ditto Greeks to the Egyptians. Irish people practiced cannibalism during their infamous famine.

Slavic races in eastern europe were also noted to have practiced cannibalism. Even many Scandinavian tribes were rumored to have done this too in the ancient days (i.e. Finland).

China as well recorded such incidences during famine.

My overall take on things.

6 Likes

Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:34am On Aug 21, 2014
Fulaman198:

Check your email now.

Regarding Fulani - I'm sure their root/ancestor tribe imbibed some of the more unsavory bits that we see here, prior to domesticating cattle. Understandably Fulani are not really native to Nigeria and can't actually be judged (chronologically) with the more indigenous Nigerian ethnic groups.

I think that all cultures worldwide practiced this at various points in history...at least until adequate nutrition was addressed in their respective regions. And until they saw no need for ritual versions of this.
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Sealeddeal(m): 11:11am On Aug 21, 2014
this thread should be moved to Front Page.
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Sealeddeal(m): 11:17am On Aug 21, 2014
Cannibalism was practised in many tribes and cultures world wide before this modern age but most of them was carried out in time of hostility,ritual activities and not really a usual attribute of that people.

2 Likes

Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by kingston277(m): 3:41pm On Aug 21, 2014
Cannibalism was not widely tolerated in the pre-colonial times across West Africa and was considered criminal activity to be punished.
http://books.google.ca/books?id=XsHB69txxdEC&pg=PA89&lpg=PA89&dq=cannibalism+myth+in+pre-colonial+africa&source=bl&ots=DGbOSQnHT_&sig=IpNt1whcp4u1WLcLSw0AryikewY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=3AL2U7i7OoiLyASH6IKoBg&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=cannibalism%20myth%20in%20pre-colonial%20africa&f=false

2 Likes

Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Fulaman198(m): 5:04pm On Aug 21, 2014
chulla12:

Check your email now.

Regarding Fulani - I'm sure their root/ancestor tribe imbibed some of the more unsavory bits that we see here, prior to domesticating cattle. Understandably Fulani are not really native to Nigeria and can't actually be judged (chronologically) with the more indigenous Nigerian ethnic groups.

I think that all cultures worldwide practiced this at various points in history...at least until adequate nutrition was addressed in their respective regions. And until they saw no need for ritual versions of this.

There is an entire documentary about it, Fulani never did anything like that. We get all adequate nutrition from our cattle as we have for thousands of years.

If you have time educate yourself on the matter (in a kind way) by watching this video about the Wodaabe Fulani:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCpsJxkUAVo
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by itstpia1: 6:59pm On Aug 21, 2014
Not sure meat is an important part of fulani diet, so they really shouldn't be included in this discussion.

Meat meaning they don't really eat as much animal meat as other nigerians, even though they herd cattle.
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by macof(m): 7:37pm On Aug 21, 2014
Every culture in the world practiced cannibalism at one point

But OP, cannibalism was not against any moral code back in these times.

even now, Yoruba Obas are said to eat the heart of their predecessor...I don't know if it still holds but Obaship rites are very important to us Yoruba, so I believe it still holds

It all boils down to the people's mentality

each culture should be respected

1 Like

Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Fulaman198(m): 7:41pm On Aug 21, 2014
itstpia1: Not sure meat is an important part of fulani diet, so they really shouldn't be included in this discussion.

Meat meaning they don't really eat as much animal meat as other nigerians, even though they herd cattle.

Meat is eaten and consumed though rarely

Our diet is mainly gawri/gauri (millet), tomatoes in stew, kossam/biradam (milk/Fresh milk), nuts. But meat is eating sometimes (beef and goat mainly).
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Fulaman198(m): 7:42pm On Aug 21, 2014
macof: Every culture in the world practiced cannibalism at one point

even now, Yoruba Obas are said to eat the heart of their predecessor...I don't know if it still holds but Obaship rites are very important to us Yoruba, so I believe it still holds

Completely untrue, If you said some cultures in every region of the world you would have a solid argument. But not EVERY, that is not scientific at all. You haven't studied every culture extensively.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by macof(m): 8:03pm On Aug 21, 2014
Fulaman198:

Completely untrue, If you said some cultures in every region of the world you would have a solid argument. But not EVERY, that is not scientific at all. You haven't studied every culture extensively.

Ok. I agree

1 Like

Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by kingston277(m): 8:40pm On Aug 21, 2014
macof: Every culture in the world practiced cannibalism at one point

even now, Yoruba Obas are said to eat the heart of their predecessor
...I don't know if it still holds but Obaship rites are very important to us Yoruba, so I believe it still holds

That is a ceremonious and isolated incident. Kind of like a mother eating her placenta. My link still states that many West Africans during those days regard cannibalism as anti-social behavior.

1 Like

Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by macof(m): 12:51pm On Aug 26, 2014
kingston277:
That is a ceremonious and isolated incident. Kind of like a mother eating her placenta. My link still states that many West Africans during those days regard cannibalism as anti-social behavior.

Yes that is ceremonious and isolated.. Am not even sure it's true

In general cannibalism is strange to Yoruba, I guess other West Africans too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:24am On Jul 25, 2015
Flora Shaw was not an expert on Southern Nigeria, Middle-Belters, or the Annang.

Shaw referenced Benin, yet even in 1903, before she published those statements, other European writers had concluded that Benin did not engage in cannibalism. There are quotes from observers to this effect - that the people of Benin did not practice cannibalism - in H.L. Roth's book Great Benin. If she could not get it right on Benin, even with the more numerous sources available to peruse through before writing those comments, why should I believe she got it right on the other peoples that she mentioned (on which less information, and probably less unbiased and reliable information may have been available) either?

And the other examples you gave don't mention any specifics and proof of the actual cannibalism.

I have not seen any definite proof of Igbo cannibalism either. I get how the cannibalism claim by some people can be annoying, but saying that so many others were cannibals based on very thin speculation by colonial authors isn't really the best way to go about countering it.

1 Like

Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Penssuwa(m): 10:13am On Jul 25, 2015
Though, not cannibalism but some groups that are always itinerant still kill villagers in any village they intend to occupy.
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by scholes0(m): 2:17pm On Jul 25, 2015
PhysicsQED:
Flora Shaw was not an expert on Southern Nigeria, Middle-Belters, or the Annang.

Shaw referenced Benin, yet even in 1903, before she published those statements, other European writers had concluded that Benin did not engage in cannibalism. There are quotes from observers to this effect - that the people of Benin did not practice cannibalism - in H.L. Roth's book Great Benin. If she could not get it right on Benin, even with the more numerous sources available to peruse through before writing those comments, why should I believe she got it right on the other peoples that she mentioned (on which less information, and probably less unbiased and reliable information may have been available) either?

She never said the Benin's engaged in Cannibalism... read the text properly.
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by PhysicsQED(m): 6:52pm On Jul 25, 2015
scholes0:

She never said the Benin's engaged in Cannibalism... read the text properly.

I read the text properly. I don't know how you're reading it but it clearly implies to me that the "tribes" she mentions engage in the practices she mentioned, as she claimed it was "common" to them. But since you claim she was only referring to certain ones, list them and explain how it's clear from the text that she only refers to those ones.

4 Likes

Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 10:39pm On Jul 25, 2015
yes they are the only tribe.
Re: Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? by ChiefJusticeFuc: 10:49pm On Mar 17, 2023
Irigwe's of the middle belt (Plateau State):

More below:

[url]http://books.google.com/books?id=MdaAdBC-_S4C&pg=PA242&lpg=PA242&dq=itsekiri+cannibalism&source=bl&ots=dO4SpKwfaX&sig=zLnpCv9jIK9SCj5hKe13gOWBRP8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LHn1U8OdFrPfsAT8g4LgCA&ved=0CDwQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=itsekiri%20cannibalism&f=false[/url]

Brass People (Ijaw/Bayelsa):

http://www.cristoraul.com/ENGLISH/readinghall/Chapters-of-modern-history/THE-BENIN-MASSACRE-OF-1897.htm

Among the Calabar/Efik, Enyong Creek was particularly notorious for its widespread cannibalism, which was of great concern to Mary Slessor when she first stepped there. See excerpt as per google books:

[url]http://books.google.com/books?id=ezoAAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA190&lpg=PA190&dq=calabar+cannibalism&source=bl&ots=M15E2XcMe6&sig=8EIUU4n7OmMZd_ddpr54QxoCmvY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-n31U5bKEdHhsAS96IHQBg&ved=0CD4Q6AEwBDge#v=onepage&q=calabar%20cannibalism&f=false[/url]

OK,

A case of : we were cannibals but look it wasn't only us.

Stupid okoro

(1) (Reply)

Annang. / Tribal Marks Across Africa / Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.