Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,778 members, 7,820,717 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

OAU Slashes Tuition - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Slashes Tuition (18315 Views)

Naira Depreciation: ACCA Slashes Fees For Nigerian Students. / Gov T.A Orji Slashes ABSU Fees By 20% / Okorocha Slashes Tuition Fee For Non-imo Students By 50% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by Anthony8: 8:43am On Aug 22, 2014
Make sense
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by Nobody: 8:45am On Aug 22, 2014
I hope they would resume now, cos it's already a lost battle. The school calendar is already in disarray, as it is.
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by Tobbie9(m): 8:47am On Aug 22, 2014
3k is not a slash, d entire protest was a waste of time
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by Toyolad(m): 8:53am On Aug 22, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Diversification of the economy starts with us getting off the oil,improving power generation to at LEAST 50000MW, improving transport infrastructure...especially railways, ports, and roads, and getting Ajaokuta complete.

Unitl then.....fees increase remains a possibility...no a necessity..... as long as we are oil dependent.

As for money.....we are not a rich nation. We produce 2.4million barrels of oil per day....less than the UAE'S 3million....and for a population of 160 MILLION,COMPARED to the UAE's 8MILLION.
and you think the money they get from education presently is not enough if managed well?

About 117 universities,36 fed unis(paying 20-40k per student),about 57 fed poly(also paying 25-35k per student),considering the fact that the buildings of these schools were built in 20th century oh and u telling me that the money gotten from these schools per year is not enough?
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by MORNDEW(m): 8:54am On Aug 22, 2014
Who came up with the idea in the first place. Autocrats.
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 22, 2014
Toyolad: and you think the money they get from education presently is not enough if managed well?

Absolutely not....we need something in the region of N500million (my personal estimate) per university per annumn to make sure they are just world class.

Part of the cash could come from government....the rest could come from students.

Yes....Goodluck and co went to school free....back when the number of students nationwide was less than 90000. Now it is approx 1.5 million and rising.

Here is a proposal on how increased fees can be managed written in 2012....

Tuition Fees:

Based on fees charged by private universities in Nigeria I have set a base amount that should enable universities to provide good enough lecture theatres, hostel accommodation, restaurants and canteens, road and transport infrastructure, examination halls and acceptable research and computer facilities to be an average of N300,000 per student per year. Universities should be given the freedom to set their fees up to a maximum of N300,000 per student.

For ease of calculation I will work with a number of 1,000,000 Nigerian undergraduate students. If each student pays N300,000, the total cost to educate our current undergraduates per year will be N300 billion per year. For a country where fuel subsidy payments skyrocketed from less than N300billion to N1.3trillion naira per year in 2 years with no explanation, a country where one individual steals N2 billion naira of government funds and is allowed to walk free, I believe we can afford to spend N300,000 billion per year on educating our youth.

To fund the schools at a rate of N300,000 per student the government should make the funds available to each student in 3 different ways:

Interest Free Loans – Each student that has gotten an admission can apply for a loan to cover tuition fees from government. For an average 4 year course each student that receives a loan will have a total debt of N1.2 million on graduation.
Individual Payments – If your parents can afford the fees or if you can afford the fees yourself and want to avoid piling up debts then you can choose to pay your fees yourself like many are already doing in private universities. With the promise of better education in public schools many Nigerian parents will actually be ready to pay these fees. Our public universities currently have the ability to be better than most of the private universities that we have if they are well funded.
Grants and Scholarships – Students with exceptional skills such as academic or sporting skills can be granted scholarships by private institutions, government, NGOs and the universities themselves. To qualify for the scholarships there must be set benchmarks that you must meet and surpass.

An improved standard at our universities means we will have more foreigners, especially Africans, applying to study in Nigerian Universities. This can be a huge source of foreign exchange earnings for the country. The universities should be allowed to set the tuition fees for international students as they see fit.

Repayment:

Studies have shown that there is a strong correlation between improved higher education and economic growth. It is therefore safe to assume that better higher education means a better economy and means graduates have more job opportunities after school and also are able to earn more.

While applying for admission into University each student should be given a unique ID. This unique ID will be used after university for getting an NYSC discharge or exemption certificate and also used after NYSC to get a job. On getting a job each employee is naturally set-up with a tax payment number, this is how the loans system should also be set-up and the required repayment should be deducted from salary at source just like taxes are.

When an individual starts to earn above N200,000 per month (total earnings) the student must start to repay the loans by having 10% of salary deducted from source just as taxes are deducted. If we can give 10% of our salaries to pastors to buy private jets monthly it is fair to give that much to pay for a good education.

Paying N20,000 monthly it will take 5 years (60months) to repay a loan of N1.2million. Naturally you would expect the individual’s salary to increase in that period and so monthly repayment also increases which means the repayment period will actually be shorter. This is fair enough in my opinion.
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by Nobody: 9:02am On Aug 22, 2014
3k reduction na slash?
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by Valentinooo: 9:02am On Aug 22, 2014
They can still do more grin
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by michealade(m): 9:08am On Aug 22, 2014
we say no to this....
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by Nobody: 9:14am On Aug 22, 2014
Wtf 3,000naira reduction
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by brunofarad(m): 9:17am On Aug 22, 2014
Let me just sit here and look while this charade unfolds.

#Bringbackour great ife glory#
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by scobaba: 9:17am On Aug 22, 2014
make we hear word for this OAU wahala abeg.
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by zidex: 9:23am On Aug 22, 2014
bushdoc9919: They have slashed the fees.....but the problem is that the fees will soon shoot up again.

Make no mistake.....Nigerian universities need funding for improved and expanded facilities. And unless the Government is ready to pay extra money for the University system.....fees are going to go up.

We have to make a choice......do we want half baked graduates or properly prepared graduates.? The current system is not conducive to the production of good graduates.
What is the GDP per capita and minimum wage in Nigeria??
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by estyvino(m): 9:23am On Aug 22, 2014
South East governors should please replicate the same. Parents are paying through their noses for their children to get education, which is suppose to be their right.
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by zurine(f): 9:33am On Aug 22, 2014
nice one
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by Toyolad(m): 9:33am On Aug 22, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Absolutely not....we need something in the region of N500million (my personal estimate) per university per annumn to make sure they are just world class.

Part of the cash could come from government....the rest could come from students.

Yes....Goodluck and co went to school free....back when the number of students nationwide was less than 90000. Now it is approx 1.5 million and rising.

Tuition Fees:

Based on fees charged by private universities in Nigeria I have set a base amount that should enable universities to provide good enough lecture theatres, hostel accommodation, restaurants and canteens, road and transport infrastructure, examination halls and acceptable research and computer facilities to be an average of N300,000 per student per year. Universities should be given the freedom to set their fees up to a maximum of N300,000 per student.

For ease of calculation I will work with a number of 1,000,000 Nigerian undergraduate students. If each student pays N300,000, the total cost to educate our current undergraduates per year will be N300 billion per year. For a country where fuel subsidy payments skyrocketed from less than N300billion to N1.3trillion naira per year in 2 years with no explanation, a country where one individual steals N2 billion naira of government funds and is allowed to walk free, I believe we can afford to spend N300,000 billion per year on educating our youth.

To fund the schools at a rate of N300,000 per student the government should make the funds available to each student in 3 different ways:

Interest Free Loans – Each student that has gotten an admission can apply for a loan to cover tuition fees from government. For an average 4 year course each student that receives a loan will have a total debt of N1.2 million on graduation.
Individual Payments – If your parents can afford the fees or if you can afford the fees yourself and want to avoid piling up debts then you can choose to pay your fees yourself like many are already doing in private universities. With the promise of better education in public schools many Nigerian parents will actually be ready to pay these fees. Our public universities currently have the ability to be better than most of the private universities that we have if they are well funded.
Grants and Scholarships – Students with exceptional skills such as academic or sporting skills can be granted scholarships by private institutions, government, NGOs and the universities themselves. To qualify for the scholarships there must be set benchmarks that you must meet and surpass.

An improved standard at our universities means we will have more foreigners, especially Africans, applying to study in Nigerian Universities. This can be a huge source of foreign exchange earnings for the country. The universities should be allowed to set the tuition fees for international students as they see fit.

Repayment:

Studies have shown that there is a strong correlation between improved higher education and economic growth. It is therefore safe to assume that better higher education means a better economy and means graduates have more job opportunities after school and also are able to earn more.

While applying for admission into University each student should be given a unique ID. This unique ID will be used after university for getting an NYSC discharge or exemption certificate and also used after NYSC to get a job. On getting a job each employee is naturally set-up with a tax payment number, this is how the loans system should also be set-up and the required repayment should be deducted from salary at source just like taxes are.

When an individual starts to earn above N200,000 per month (total earnings) the student must start to repay the loans by having 10% of salary deducted from source just as taxes are deducted. If we can give 10% of our salaries to pastors to buy private jets monthly it is fair to give that much to pay for a good education.

Paying N20,000 monthly it will take 5 years (60months) to repay a loan of N1.2million. Naturally you would expect the individual’s salary to increase in that period and so monthly repayment also increases which means the repayment period will actually be shorter. This is fair enough in my opinion.

Toyolad: and you think the money they get from education presently is not enough if managed well?
About 117 universities,36 fed unis(paying 20-40k per student),about 57 fed poly(also paying 25-35k per student),considering the fact that the buildings of these schools were built in 20th century oh and u telling me that the money gotten from these schools per year is not enough?
[quote author=bushdoc9919]

You're still not putting the less-privileged into consideration bro.

You think they will grant them loans without collateral(which they don't have)

You think it's immediately they graduate that they will gain employment(only those who are influential can achieve that)

Even if they gain employment,you think it's a job that they would be paid 6 digit salary for a start?(Only those with influence can also achieve that).

This loan thing is just a way of creating fear of the future into the minds of the less-privileged and making them forever indebted to the govt.

Think bro,think about the less-privileged!!!!
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by bollify(m): 9:43am On Aug 22, 2014
Toyolad: Listen Up bro,what do you have to say about countries that provide affordable or better still free Education for their children

So it's only those who could afford to pay 150k in secondary school as fees that should be educated?

What about those who STRUGGLED to pay 10k or less in second school,don't they deserve to further their education too?

Politicians can syphon our public fund,collect bribery and practise corruption just to get money while the govt cannot properly fund the education of her future leaders.shld we just sit and look at them?

Mtcheew!!.some people just support the govt cos of the stats(they put forth) without thinking the less-privileded.

#Even our presido was shoeless,if education was not affordable bk then,how would he have become who he is now,huh?

. You just spoke my mind... People like us who went to secondary school where d highest school fees I paid was #500 and yet it was diffilcult for my parent then that I av to do menia jobs even as a secondary school student should stop any hope of going to school according to his analysis... As if they will even spend the money in aquiring standard in education even when student are made to pay school fees. All the private schools around that are paying high school fees in nigerian don't have better product. Because some people are well positioned and could afford high rate of school fees they feel others should not be educated again.. This is nigeria and not america, rate of poverty here can not be compare to america.
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by StevenJay01(m): 9:51am On Aug 22, 2014
LARRYDKING: OAU management does as it pleases them. Rusticate sug leader and later place them on probation, fix a fees and later reduce it. The sch is so unstable.

BTW, why are OAU topics always hitting front page like it's d only sch in Nigeria? Do u mean oda schs dont have interesting issue that worth gracing front page. The mod must be an alumni of OAU.

Not just the mod but Seun osewa himself is a alumni of OAU. So go get someone from your fuckkkkkkkkinng school to set up a forum like this
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by adadadon(m): 9:52am On Aug 22, 2014
honey001:
www.tribune.com.ng/news/news-headlines/item/14015-oau-slashes-tuition
What Nonesense the money was not slashed rather it still remained the same. Tribune newspaper is full of trashy reporters Do you call 19,000 to 19700 reduction or 33,700 to 30,700 A reduction
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by adadadon(m): 9:53am On Aug 22, 2014
coolheed: Any info on the cost for postgraduate programmes. Was it reduced also?
NO
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by clerkent(m): 9:54am On Aug 22, 2014
diarisgod: OAU PRO sabi how to decorate nonsense. After making just 3K reduction.

OAU Management Refuses To Reduce Freshers' Fees As Stalites Get Meagre Deduction

Today, the leadership of the Union honoured the emergency invitation of the DSA to hear the response of the University management on the 6-point demand of the Union at the last meeting with the management and the following responses were given to various demands;

1. Re-opening of the University:

As earlier relayed to the University community that the Senate meeting of 15th August decided that the University has been re-opened and students are to resume the University on 24th August,2014 for academic activities to begin immediately. This was further confirmed to the leadership of the Union on official grounds.

2. Review of the fees:

The following reductions were made in the fees;
*Fresh Students: No reduction
*Returning Students:
~ Arts, Administration, Education, Law and Social Sci. No reduction
~Sciences and Technology #27700
~Pharmacy & Health Sci. #30700
For those who have paid, the deducted funds will be forwarded to coming sessions and that of finalists will be forwarded to the Alumni charges.

3. ....

http://www.oaupeeps.com/2014/08/oau-management-resfuses-to-reduce.html?m=1
all this are just campaign strategy even in my school where we pay 20,000 as other fee (while we are learning free education).the government just stop the paying of the fee til further notice while i have already pay in july.
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by StevenJay01(m): 9:54am On Aug 22, 2014
Chiamaka01: I hope they would resume now, cos it's already a lost battle. The school calendar is already in disarray, as it is.

With people like you there is no future for Nigeria.
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by tyconcepts(f): 9:58am On Aug 22, 2014
sleemoon:
I dun cash u today

Sleemoon is just following me everywhere like my shadow and mi likely.
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by Leitner: 10:08am On Aug 22, 2014
LARRYDKING: OAU management does as it pleases them. Rusticate sug leader and later place them on probation, fix a fees and later reduce it. The sch is so unstable.

BTW, why are OAU topics always hitting front page like it's d only sch in Nigeria? Do u mean oda schs dont have interesting issue that worth gracing front page. The mod must be an alumni of OAU.
The owner of NL is an alumnus. He's just repping proper cool
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by olanrewajumi(m): 10:08am On Aug 22, 2014
shio .waz d difference?.if going on a 2month strike z going to Earn us just 3000 deduction,den I don't c any reason y we went on strike in d first place...even z not like dey re going to give us the money back,so I don't c any reason y we should be jubilating... omole z really cunning.
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by Abeos(m): 10:13am On Aug 22, 2014
then the struggle was insignificant if it could only remove #3000 from stallites' fee without reduction in that of freshers
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by rman: 10:14am On Aug 22, 2014
Please stop going back and forth with that dude, he lacks depth.
bushdoc9919:

Tuition Fees:

Repayment:

Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by Nobody: 10:25am On Aug 22, 2014
Toyolad:

You're still not putting the less-privileged into consideration bro.

I am,son. If we take the money we use to subsidise education and use it to fund pry and sec educaiton....time will come when university education won't be necessary to make it.

You think they will grant them loans without collateral(which they don't have)

That is why there has to be laws allowing for that sort of loan.

You think it's immediately they graduate that they will gain employment(only those who are influential can achieve that)

Payment starts ONLY when they get a job...

Even if they gain employment,you think it's a job that they would be paid 6 digit salary for a start?(Only those with influence can also achieve that).

And you think that most people earn below N50000 a month....plus we can adjust repayment according to need.

This loan thing is just a way of creating fear of the future into the minds of the less-privileged and making them forever indebted to the govt.

Think bro,think about the less-privileged!!!!

So we continue producing less prepared poor graduates,who will lose out to rich guys with foreign degrees?
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by Nobody: 10:38am On Aug 22, 2014
Una no dey fear? God punish all of una wen use free education go sch wen no want make we go.
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by AngelicaDivine(f): 10:40am On Aug 22, 2014
There is still hope for the poor in education
Re: OAU Slashes Tuition by dubienatti(m): 10:45am On Aug 22, 2014
Y dem d worry na? 30k per yr na small money even my nephew 4 sec scul d pay more dan dat..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Times Ranks Covenant University As Nigeria's Top Engineering Study Destination / Neco Gce Form Will Soon Close! / Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.