Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,981 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award (35896 Views)

Scientists Discover Four New Elements / Teenage Girls Disappear For Fear Of Repeating Class In Lagos (Photo) / Sociology Professor Promised Me An ‘A’ In Exchange For Mouth Action (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Alayotech(m): 9:10am On Aug 22, 2014
Two teenagers from Nigeria,Eveshorhema Samuel-Alli and Ibukunoluwa Oladeindethat proudly represented Nigeria at the 2014 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in Los Angeles, California, USA, have bagged an award as a result of their research work on Halistosia a.k.a mouth odour.

HALITOSIS or bad breath, is an unpleasant odour of the mouth present on exhaled breath.

According to medical experts, this very embarrassing condition which can be acute (occasional) or chronic (long-lasting), could be caused by several factors including food, poor dental hygiene, tobacco products, health problems, dry mouth, mouth infections, dentures or braces and medications.

Bad breath has caused otherwise well qualified people to lose employment opportunities, caused job losses, and friendships/marriages to crash. In their search for a solution, the two students ofDoregos Private Academy, Ipaja, Lagos, carried out research on African walnut (Coula edulis), a member of the tree nut family common in Nigeria. At the end, they discovered that apart from its cancer-fighting properties, rare antioxidants, benefits for the heart and circulatory system, weight control, improved reproductive health in men, brain health and diabetes, walnut could also cure bad breath.

According to Eveshorhema, the idea for this project came while on a school trip to a rural area in Nigeria where the host community served them walnuts.
“When I woke up in the morning, I hadn’t brushed my teeth yet but my breath was already fresh. Then I remembered I had eaten walnuts the previous night.” To confirm her suspicion, she ate more nuts the following night and awoke with fresh breath again and that made them to carry out further research.

“This project actually won us a Life Science Award of $1,000 in the Medicine and Health Science category, courtesy, Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society.”
The experiment:
“The Halitosis project has to do with mouth odour and we used a common Nigerian snack, the walnut, to cure mouth odour because it is a very embarrassing problem. Your best friend won’t tell you that your mouth is smelling so we had to find a solution to it.

Consent forms

“We conducted this experiment using 35 volunteers who were students of our school. we sent out parents consent forms and when we received the parents’ consent, we continued the experiment. The volunteers were divided into four groups. The duo then made two different walnut products.
Walnut chewing gum: “We made walnut chewing gum by adding resins and sucrose to chopped walnuts.
Walnut mouthwash: “Also, we made a walnut mouthwash mixing chopped walnut, water and 10 per cent lime as preservative.
One group was given whole walnuts to eat; thev second group was given walnut chewing gum; the third was given walnut mouthwash while the last group was given nothing so they were the control group.
“They took the walnut morning and night. We then observed them and recorded the results. They did not brush their teeth for the duration of the experiment. They were going only on walnut so we would be able to see the improvement,” said Eveshorhema Samuel-Alli.
“After this, we conducted an experiment using Lead tri-oxo nitrate (v) in which the volunteers were made to blow bubbles into a solution of lead nitrate and water before and after the experiment.
“Before they took the walnut and walnut products, they were made to blow bubbles into the solution and then we recorded how long it took to turn the solution black. What turns the solution black is hydrogen sulphide and that is what causes mouth odour. So if it takes a short time, that means the mouth odour is actually very bad. Then after the experiment, they were also made to blow bubbles into the solution and this time, it was noticed that there was significant time lapse before the solution turned black.
When the control group who had bacteria in their mouths, blew bubbles into the solution, it turned black while it remained clear when the other groups blew bubbles into it. So we knew that the walnut was actually working to cure halitosis.”
Bacterial culture:From the results obtained, the duo suspected that some chemicals like alkaloids, oleic acid and tannins in the African walnut must be killing some of the odour-causing bacteria in the mouth. So they swabbed the mouths of each volunteer, grew the bacteria and counted the number. They found out that those who had the walnut treatment had fewer bacterial load.

Source: http://naijaenvoy.com/forum2_theme_1033800.xhtml?tema=84

http://cliqloaded.com

132 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by QAPHAYNE: 9:14am On Aug 22, 2014
How come its nigerians that are schooled by the whites that end up doing us proud? ALAYOTECH!! I smell frontpage.

https://www.nairaland.com/1868316/10-strange-birth-customs-around#25671390

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Okijajuju1(m): 9:16am On Aug 22, 2014
shocked
Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Nobody: 9:18am On Aug 22, 2014
We are indeed blessed in this country

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Nobody: 9:19am On Aug 22, 2014
Abeg, who get chewing stick here?

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by pro2010: 9:27am On Aug 22, 2014
Well done we need more of this kind of news.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Tolexander: 9:28am On Aug 22, 2014
iyke926: Abeg, who get toothpaste here?
you don't toothpaste anymore.

Courtesy of wall nut.

@topic:
this is the real celebration of intelligence.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by paul288yahoo(m): 9:29am On Aug 22, 2014
great
Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Nobody: 9:45am On Aug 22, 2014
Africa now waking up from it century slumber ,

bravo.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by dhardline(m): 9:46am On Aug 22, 2014
Making sense.but which school in Nigeria can comfortably undertake all this necessary tests and deduce results? Na only acidic and basic change to litmus paper we sabi. undecided

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 22, 2014
Nice one!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by constance500: 9:47am On Aug 22, 2014
#continues to brush his teeth wit charcoal#

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by widowhusband: 9:48am On Aug 22, 2014
impressed, very gifted country!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Nobody: 9:49am On Aug 22, 2014
Tolexander: you don't toothpaste anymore.

Courtesy of wall nut.

@topic:
this is the real celebration of intelligence.

sad
Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Tymax(m): 9:55am On Aug 22, 2014
Walnut? Wow! Simple solutions to big problems. What a wonderful world.

Kudos to those teens. grin

15 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Donfamous(m): 10:10am On Aug 22, 2014
benbuks: Africa now waking up from it century slumber ,

bravo.
not that we are sleeping before, the Nigerians doing this resides abroad, I've even concluded before clicking the topic that it can't be in Nigeria, because our people (both govt and citizens) doesn't value our intellects, but if we dare travel abroad we excel than being here, and besides there are no suitable equipments to work with, something is wrong with our education system in naija, I still believe that nigerians are one of the best active and intelligent students in the world, only if our people can reason,.

16 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Walphem(m): 10:18am On Aug 22, 2014
Nice work by the students, how I wish the price money can be more than $1000, this is great intellectual project by secondary school students. Also thumbs up to Doregos Academy for churning out such kids.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Mization(m): 10:22am On Aug 22, 2014
Highly impressive. If and Only if our leaders can invest on research and quality education, Nigeria will be a better place.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 22, 2014
Donfamous: not that we are sleeping before, the Nigerians doing this resides abroad, I've even concluded before clicking the topic that it can't be in Nigeria, because our people (both govt and citizens) doesn't value our intellects, but if we dare travel abroad we excel than being here, and besides there are no suitable equipments to work with, something is wrong with our education system in naija, I still believe that nigerians are one of the best active and intelligent students in the world, only if our people can reason,.

exactly the point sir

"A servant is not without honor save in his home town "

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Ramon92: 10:24am On Aug 22, 2014
For your original walnuts, contact me. I sell in wholesale
and retail quantities. And if you are interested in exporting
walnuts to make big money, I'm all yours.
Thanks

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 22, 2014
I hope walnut sellers are not reading this? before it will no longer be affordable.

I anxiously await Close-up walnut toothpaste advert........... Hope it's not the girl that would be eating walnut sha

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Dramadiddy(m): 10:29am On Aug 22, 2014
Wow so happy for them.. Meanwhile.. Kermit can now dance shoki lol cheesy

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by dridowu: 10:30am On Aug 22, 2014
Walphem: Nice work by the students, how I wish the price money can be more than $1000, this is great intellectual project by secondary school students. Also thumbs up to Doregos Academy for churning out such kids.
@bolded, yep you are right but the price money can only be more than if was in the entertainment it. Rarely you will find any educating program having a huge price gift .
@topic, congrat to the students

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Mutuwa(m): 10:32am On Aug 22, 2014
Congrats boys..naija no de carry last,na haters de spoil us for media

*continues plucking mangoes*

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by duni04(m): 10:34am On Aug 22, 2014
benbuks: Africa now waking up from it century slumber ,

bravo.
Nice one
Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by boombay(m): 10:56am On Aug 22, 2014
lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by rattlesnake(m): 10:57am On Aug 22, 2014
Is it a sickeness
Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by otijah(m): 10:57am On Aug 22, 2014
ok we don hear
Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by sexymoma(f): 10:57am On Aug 22, 2014
Lolz... When i saw this i was like " Nigerian Teanage Scientist Develops Cure For Ebola Virus" shocked grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Ptoocool(m): 10:57am On Aug 22, 2014
Your best friend won’t tell you that your mouth is smelling

Guilty as charqed, anyway ah don repent..
Maka send her two baskets of walnut grin
Yea, dat should be okay..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Smily202(m): 10:57am On Aug 22, 2014
Naija no dey carry last...Congrat boys...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Teenage Scientists Develops Cure For Mouth Odour, Wins Award by Danjunior(m): 10:58am On Aug 22, 2014
I think say na cure for Ebola nau

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kogi State University Admission List. / Ghanaian Teacher Carries His Pupil To Teach Proper And Improper Fractions / My Jamb Result Is Out; Pls Advise Me On Choice Of Career.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.