Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us (15688 Views)

Sorry State Of Nigeria's Healthcare System (picture) / BREAKING NEWS: Nigeria's Healthcare Workers Call Of Strike / Nigerian Healthcare System: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 26, 2014
I suppose you just proved why you are not a moderator.
MissMeiya: Someone ban GenBuhari.

Always derailing. Get your own thread instead of copy-pasting in everyone else's! This has got to be the 10th time I've seen your stúpid post! And it's freaking long as hell. angry
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 26, 2014
GenBuhari: I suppose you just proved why you are not a moderator.

"1. Please post on topic always. Don't derail or tribalize threads."

I suppose you just proved why you're an idíot.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 26, 2014
Beync: lol. But it's true nau. Why do you think he denied having contact with ebola patient when his sister just died of the virus. I also learnt that he got in contact with the said deceased sister as against medical advice given to him.

Not being a saint doesn't make you a devil. He was human. But I'm not here to defend him. I'm pissed that the government is hiding behind him to avoid admitting their shameful inadequacy.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 26, 2014
One dude will jst sit in hez house n start typing wateva he feels like criticizn health care system, I wonder if hez a health care worker in a more organizd hospital or weda he owns hez own hospital, jst talking lyk a typical nigerian who doesn't want to see the good in any effort made by the govt. So many people r living in ideals n dnt wana care bout the reality around them, they feel its what is in dia mind that is better off than what's real. Most are definately delusional.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by koolg: 3:55pm On Aug 26, 2014
Nigeria did not know how infectous and notorious the disease was so we can mostly blame liberian government because they had quarantined him and stopped him from going to work in liberia yet they allowed him get on a plane to unsuspecting nigeria.
However if we had sufficient info about the disease before the entrance of that evil one, all guards would have been up

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 3:56pm On Aug 26, 2014
phantom: Late Patrick Sawyer was rushed to First Consultant Hospital, Lagos, on arrival. It was reported that Sawyer was initially assessed and treated for malaria, hepatitis, etc. The assessment and diagnosis of Ebola came later. The junior and senior doctors that managed Sawyer at the First Consultant Hospital FAILED at this level. With history of acute fever (plus other symptoms) and recent arrival from Liberia, the diagnosis at presentation ought to have been ebola viral disease (EVD) UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE.

with all due respect the above is rubbish

It was documented that Sawyer was quarantined the next day. He came from Liberia, he is very sick. So the first course would have been quarantine him and test him for ebola. The post is correct. Prove him wrong
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 26, 2014
eaglechild: Late Patrick Sawyer was rushed to First Consultant Hospital, Lagos, on arrival. It was reported that Sawyer was initially assessed and treated for malaria, hepatitis, etc. The assessment and diagnosis of Ebola came later. The junior and senior doctors that managed Sawyer at the First Consultant Hospital FAILED at this level. With history of acute fever (plus other symptoms) and recent arrival from Liberia, the diagnosis at presentation ought to have been ebola viral disease (EVD) UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE.

ABSOLUTELY NOT

Patrick Sawyer COMPLETELY denied a history of contact with an Ebola patient, the most important lead in clenching the diagnosis in the absence of specific symptoms.

He was NOT showing any SPECIFIC symptoms of Ebola on arrival, irrespective of that, the managing medical team treated him with a high index of suspicion and insisted on testing him based on his travel history, I can tell you that the diagnosis would have been completely missed if he had gone to a less professional place with more catastrophic consequences.

Patrick Sawyer deliberately endangered the lives of the medical personnel by withholding information and spraying them with contaminated body fluids.

The rest of what you wrote is OK.

Liberians were banned from leaving the country. Just the fact that Sawyer came from there is enough reason to quarantine him and test him. That is what is expected. No developed country would take Sawyer's words just on its merit and treat him for malaria instead. Is it not funny?

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by kmariko: 4:01pm On Aug 26, 2014
The ministers and commisioners of health in the country failed woefully in that an outbreak of such magnitude in the neighbouring countries should have compelled them to start a massive campaign to sanitaize the public about Ebola. The campaign should have included the port authorities who would then have the necessary mandate to quarantine anyone coming from the subregion or deny entry at port of origin.

While they were "distracted " by the petty demands of the doctors they failed to see the bigger threat hovering over us.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:02pm On Aug 26, 2014
prettyboi1989: One dude will jst sit in hez house n start typing wateva he feels like criticizn health care system, I wonder if hez a health care worker in a more organizd hospital or weda he owns hez own hospital, jst talking lyk a typical nigerian who doesn't want to see the good in any effort made by the govt. So many people r are living in ideals (??) n and dnt don't wana care bout about the reality around them,. they They feel its what is in dia their mind that is better off than what's real. Most are definately definitely delusional.

The irony.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:06pm On Aug 26, 2014
Mynd44:
An bio data includes travel history?

and rushed to the hospital from the airport....the first thing a first responder does is to stabilize the patient. Not ask where he was travelling from.

sawyer was taken to the hospital from the airport. They knew Sawyer came from Liberia. Hence they enquired about his historywith ebola patients. He denied making any contact with them back home and we took hisword, treated him for malaria, etc. And u say OP is wrong?

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by lakamua: 4:09pm On Aug 26, 2014
kolawaxxy:

Bros, this thread suprise me o grin
Dnt condemn as if you can do better. lagos govt was fantastic. even WHO acknowledged that.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 26, 2014
MissMeiya:

The irony.
Guess u av a hard time understandin d message dan picking out d way I type. I type in abbreviations n I love it lyk dat, let a 100ppl hate, doesn't stop me 4rm passing d message across to people who can understand it. Tz calld informal way of communicating, mor lyk grape vines, u dnt nid any form of formalities
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 26, 2014
prettyboi1989:
Guess u av a hard time understandin d message dan picking out d way I type. I type in abbreviations n I love it lyk dat, let a 100ppl hate, doesn't stop me 4rm passing d message across to people who can understand it. Tz calld informal way of communicating, mor lyk grape vines, u dnt nid any form of formalities

I understood you. 5 years later. You should know that people often skip over things written like this. It's not "informal", it's INCORRECT.

No one is going to strain themselves to read gibberish, when it's unlikely that someone who writes like this would ever have something intelligent to say.

6 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 26, 2014
MissMeiya:

I understood you. 5 years later. You should know that people often skip over things written like this. It's not "informal", it's INCORRECT.

No one is going to strain themselves to read gibberish, when it's unlikely that someone who writes like this would ever have something intelligent to say.
So its you whoz got intelligent tinz 2 say? By berating d way I type, by d way ow does it affect ur life? Watz ur bizness wif ma post? I knw wat I wrote n I c no essence in the guy's criticisms when he himself isn't in a better place 2 c wats going on.

By d way will sayn wat I wrote give u credits? Or wat do u gain spendin ur night n day to discredit meaningful comments? Guess u one of dose nl girls whuz got nufnelse to do oda dan play God when in fact ya'll av nothing.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:32pm On Aug 26, 2014
prettyboi1989:
So its you whoz got intelligent tinz 2 say? By berating d way I type, by d way ow does it affect ur life? Watz ur bizness wif ma post? I knw wat I wrote n I c no essence in the guy's criticisms when he himself isn't in a better place 2 c wats going on.

By d way will sayn wat I wrote give u credits? Or wat do u gain spendin ur night n day to discredit meaningful comments? Guess u one of dose nl girls whuz got nufnelse to do oda dan play God when in fact ya'll av nothing.

Ok. I didn't read this.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by shilexholly(m): 4:32pm On Aug 26, 2014
See who is complainin......all administration has always failed but D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ still tried 2 contain it....kudos 2 lagos government.....imagine d̶̲̥̅̊α† ebola in ghana......
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 26, 2014
MissMeiya:

Ok. I didn't read this.
If u can't understand my writings I doubt if u can understand puzzles. Only intelligent ppl can, n u are missing from d list.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by ElFenomeno1: 4:35pm On Aug 26, 2014
nigerianvenom: weldone sincere9gerian.u are one of the few good youths we have in nigeria.the point raised is clear and potent

Youths?
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 26, 2014
They are always gud at criticizing people's effort but come up with a realistic solution, ud find dem rambling.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 26, 2014
prettyboi1989:
If u can't understand my writings I doubt if u can understand puzzles. Only intelligent ppl can, n u are missing from d list.

LOOOOL. Bad English is "a puzzle" I'm dying.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:41pm On Aug 26, 2014
MissMeiya:

LOOOOL. Bad English is "a puzzle" I'm dying.
W8 wats ur concern bout d way I type? U are yet to answer dat, is it hurting u or taking the air out of ur lungs? Or is it affecting ur family or wat? Wat do u gain? R u dis miserable? Y dnt u take ur urge to be seens and to talk to som1else where
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 26, 2014
prettyboi1989:
W8 wats ur concern bout d way I type? U are yet to answer dat, is it hurting u or taking the air out of ur lungs? Or is it affecting ur family or wat? Wat do u gain? R u dis miserable?

I'm still not reading your "puzzles".
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by ceejayluv(m): 4:44pm On Aug 26, 2014
Poznan:

It was documented that Sawyer was quarantined the next day. He came from Liberia, he is very sick. So the first course would have been quarantine him and test him for ebola. The post is correct. Prove him wrong
Would have, could have... Etc... The mistakes have been made.. I still don't want to call that a failure on the part of the hospital. Considering that he was quarantined despite the pressure from "ogas at the top" to release him. The matter was promptly reported to the ministry of health.
If a soccer striker misses a clear shot but scores on the rebound and gets injured- is that failure?

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:44pm On Aug 26, 2014
MissMeiya:

I'm still not reading your "puzzles".
Guess cos I hit a nerve by asking u wat ur concern is wif my post u chose 2 keep quiet, dats wat walking away in shame is attention seeker. u wunt get anyfin off me o cos I dnt live my life on nairaland lyk d way u do lookn 4 people 2 b impressd wif ur ramblings
GET A LIFE AND STOP LOOKING FOR ATTENTION IN MATTERS DAT AINT UR BIZNESS
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by VantagePoint: 4:49pm On Aug 26, 2014
prettyboi1989:

I am assuming, from your moniker, that you're at least 24 years old.Even if you are 6 years younger, I think it is extremely puerile of you and in bad form to write this way. For crying out loud, why go all the way to type words like "discredit","meaningful",only to use banal abbreviations like "ma"and "n" for' and'?
Looks like the text of a 6 year old girl to her crush.
It is not fashionable, it is silly.
That being said:
I MAY NOT APPROVE OF WHAT YOU SAY, BUT I WILL DEFEND YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT-VOLTAIRE.

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 26, 2014
koolg: Nigeria did not know how infectous and notorious the disease was so we can mostly blame liberian government because they had quarantined him and stopped him from going to work in liberia yet they allowed him get on a plane to unsuspecting nigeria.
However if we had sufficient info about the disease before the entrance of that evil one, all guards would have been up
Nigeria didn't need to know. Just the doctors, but it is one of the crazy diseases. Others include Small pox, Hepatitis B, TB, (note, no HIV). At least, the first 2 can make me run away from a patient.
I remember when i was doing my housemanship, a visiting physician from USA wore PPE to attend to a TB patient. LOL, the man said he never wanted to see the doctor in his room again
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 26, 2014
VantagePoint:
I am assuming, from your moniker, that you're at least 24 years old.Even if you are 6 years younger, I think it is extremely puerile of you and in bad form to write this way. For crying out loud, why go all the way to type words like "discredit","meaningful",only to use banal abbreviations like "ma"and "n" for' and'?
Looks like the text of a 6 year old girl to her crush.
It is not fashionable, it is silly.
That being said:
I MAY NOT APPROVE OF WHAT YOU SAY, BUT I WILL DEFEND YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT-VOLTAIRE.
And tell me how d way I type affects ur life or how it has become a concern of urs.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 26, 2014
prettyboi1989:
Guess cos I hit a nerve by asking u wat ur concern is wif my post u chose 2 keep quiet, dats wat walking away in shame is attention seeker. u wunt get anyfin off me o cos I dnt live my life on nairaland lyk d way u do lookn 4 people 2 b impressd wif ur ramblings
GET A LIFE AND STOP LOOKING FOR ATTENTION IN MATTERS DAT AINT UR BIZNESS

This is what you call hitting a nerve? This is what most people call laughing at you. Lol. Learn to spell.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 5:06pm On Aug 26, 2014
MissMeiya:

This is what you call hitting a nerve? This is what most people call laughing at you. Lol. Learn to spell.

Go n sleep jare its shameful of u nt 2 ansa my question abt how my post is affecting ur life or is a concern of urs. U can tell ursef u aint readin my puzzle dats ur problem get a life, I wonder watelse u do appart 4rm being on nl 247
Jeez get a life, u comment on everyboduy's posts nd pickup fights with evrione, dat doesn't speak well of a lady.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 26, 2014
prettyboi1989:
Go n sleep jare its shameful of u nt 2 ansa my question abt how my post is affecting ur life or is a concern of urs. U can tell ursef u aint readin my puzzle dats ur problem get a life, I wonder watelse u do appart 4rm being on nl 247

Na only you waka come? Ok. Continue.

I hail you, Madam Peace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos COVID-19 Cases Likely To Peak In August - Abayomi / Woman Who Gave Birth At The Staff Screening Exercise In Kogi State, Gets N1m / Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.