Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,342 members, 7,822,620 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) (2457 Views)

PHOTOS: Infinite Treasures Art Exhibition Opens At Terra Kulture Lagos / Meet 9-year-old Chioma Mayrschofer Whose Exclusive Art Exhibition Shakes Germany / Naija @ 50 (celebrating Design Exhibition)let's Drop Our Design (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Joe88(m): 2:15am On Aug 23, 2014
In a bid to propagating the gospel of Araism philosophy beyond the shores of Nigeria, the Movement decided to stamp its foot on the soil of America. This was to be the group’s 12th exhibition series after having previous shows in Nigeria. It was hosted by Studio 18, a prestigious art gallery/studio situated in the City of Pembroke Pines in Florida, USA. The calm environment of Poinciana Drive that accommodated the Studio 18 became restive as art enthusiasts residing within and outside the city thronged the venue to catch ‘a snapshot of life in Africa’ as coined by Robyn Vegas (co-curator of the show). The exhibition had 40 works on display executed by 7 artists. Works of the seven participating artists graced the gallery with an African presence that overwhelmed the viewers.
The exhibition, which brought important dignitaries from within and outside Florida, was indeed a snapshot of life in Africa as the theme of exhibited works reflected it. The already enthusiastic crowd were visually teleported into the African traditional society with a dance performance from an African cultural dance troupe. I could only but imagine the mood within the hall when a visibly dazed onlooker approached me and asked humorously, “Did you have to chase those animals in the forest so you could get the skin you have used for your paintings?” Please have a sip of my experience in Florida as we continue to project Africa and particularly Nigeria in good light as against the badly battered image of our dearly beloved country.
Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Joe88(m): 2:59am On Aug 23, 2014
A cross section of Paintings

Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Joe88(m): 3:03am On Aug 23, 2014
Art enthusiasts and artists at the opening ceremony

Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Joe88(m): 3:07am On Aug 23, 2014
An artwork on display

Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Joe88(m): 3:10am On Aug 23, 2014
More paintings on display

Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Joe88(m): 3:14am On Aug 23, 2014
A painting in 'Araism' technique

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Joe88(m): 3:16am On Aug 23, 2014
A painting in 'Araism' technique
Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Joe88(m): 3:24am On Aug 23, 2014
Some of the exhibiting artists and delegates from National Gallery of Arts, Nigeria.

Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by macsika: 3:28am On Aug 23, 2014
Oh my Gosh, this is really beautiful, I just hope this will let them know that not all Nigerians are scammers and terrorist.
Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Ramon92: 6:58am On Aug 23, 2014
Nice pieces of work Joe. You are one of the most talented artists I've ever seen. Keep up the good works..
Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Onegai(f): 8:06pm On Aug 23, 2014
Nice to see Oga Mufu promoting his movement. I almost bought one of you araist's pieces some years back for client. He ended up selecting a sculpture from another master's student. E ku work o! smiley

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by sholay2011(m): 3:13am On Aug 24, 2014
This is superb!! I love it. E ku ise. smiley
Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by prof800(m): 3:20am On Aug 24, 2014
Nice works!
...kudos. smiley

sholay2011: This is superb!! I love it. E ku ise. smiley

having insomnia? sad
Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by sholay2011(m): 3:25am On Aug 24, 2014
prof800:
having insomnia? sad
Looool grin

U sef...why are you awake by this time

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Howmanage: 3:31am On Aug 24, 2014
Joe88: A painting in 'Araism' technique
what is araism?
Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Joe88(m): 7:38am On Aug 24, 2014
Howmanage: what is araism?
Araism is a technique in painting that was founded by Mufu Onifade, the technique involves isolation of strokes of colours against a dark/neutral surface so as to achieve a crackled effect yet fissure. The technique was embraced by artists who came together with the proponent(Mufu Onifade) to form an art movement called 'Araism movement'. You could google 'araism movement' for further details.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Aspireahead(m): 8:50am On Aug 24, 2014
Joe88: Araism is a technique in painting that was founded by Mufu Onifade, the technique involves isolation of strokes of colours against a dark/neutral surface so as to achieve a crackled effect yet fissure. The technique was embraced by artists who came together with the proponent(Mufu Onifade) to form an art movement called 'Araism movement'. You could google 'araism movement' for further details.

And why wasn't I taught this in secondery school?
Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Joe88(m): 10:34am On Aug 24, 2014
Aspireahead:

The technique is still gaining ground, It was formally launched in 1996. However, the technique is being taught in some secondary schools in Nigeria and most undergraduate students studying Fine Arts in tertiary institutions explore this technique for their final year project.
Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Joe88(m): 10:37am On Aug 24, 2014
Aspireahead:

And why wasn't I taught this in secondery school?[/quote] The technique is still gaining ground, It was formally launched in 1996. However, the technique is being taught in some secondary schools in Nigeria and most undergraduate students studying Fine Arts in tertiary institutions explore this technique for their final year project.
Re: A Nairalander's Art Exhibition In Florida (araism Movement 12) by Tymax(m): 1:16pm On Aug 24, 2014
Araism. I love the technique. Keep the movement strong bro. Two of my friends embraced this technique a while ago. Sad that many Nigerian artists don't value it as much as they should. Naija needs to celebrate her own.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Calling All Nairaland Graphic Designers / Art Beyond Nigeria's Norm / Win Cash Prizes: Nigeria @56 Graphic Design Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.