Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,216 members, 7,822,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Residency Programme For Other Health Workers - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Residency Programme For Other Health Workers (2113 Views)

Breaking! The President Suspends Residency Programme For Doctors. / Breaking!! Six More Health Workers Infected With EBOLA!! / Salaries Of Doctors And Other Health Workers In Some Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by sogodihno: 12:51pm On Aug 23, 2014
EBOLA: Pharmacists Commend Jonathan Over Containment
• Want residency programme for other health workers
PHARMACISTS under the aegis of the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN) have commended the Federal Government over its efforts to control the spread of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) even as they called for total re-organization of the residency programme for doctors.

President PSN, Olumide Akintayo, in a letter to President Goodluck Jonathan dated August 21, 2014 and titled “Re-organization of residency programmes for health professionals in federal health institutions” said there is a need for residency programmes in Pharmacy, Laboratory Science, Nursing, Radiography, Physiotherapy and others to address the myriad of complexities that are emerging in public health.The pharmacists appealed that specific directives are given tothe Federal Ministry of Health to create the platform of a representative committee of all health professionals, which would be led by the Permanent Secretary or other skilled administrator to guarantee an unbiased output in the best interest of consumers of health in Nigeria.

The Letter reads:“… The Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria finds it necessary to commend the Federal Government for its laudable efforts to contain the spread of the deadly Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) through proactive measures anchored by the Federal Ministry of Health. It is impressive that the output of the Federal Government is yielding dividends as fatality ratein Nigeria is about 50 per cent compared to a global average of 90 per cent.

“In furtherance of the recent reforms initiated by Your Excellency with regards to the suspension of residency programme for doctors in Nigeria, the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria canvasses a broad spectrum and total re-organization of the residency programmes such that it inculcates a new structure that is all encompassing to embrace all the various health professions in Nigeria.“Specifically, there is a need for residency programmes in Pharmacy, Laboratory Science, Nursing, Radiography, Physiotherapy and others to address the myriad of complexities that are emerging in public health.

“Your Excellency, the World Health Organization and the WorldHealth Professional Alliance (a body encompassing the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP), World Medical Association (WMA), International Federation of Nurses and Mid-Wives and International Federation of Physiotherapists) continue to assert with boldness and responsibility that only collaborative efforts can boost healthcare delivery across the world. Nigeria as a major player in the global arena definitely has little or no choice than to key into this progressive vision.“We strongly admonish that beneficiaries of the residency training at government expense from now on be made to sign bonds to work in Nigerian Federal Health Institutions for a specified period in addition to other commitments revolving around productivity.

“Your Excellency, in conclusion, we appeal that specific directives are given to the Federal Ministry of Health to create the platform of a representative committee of all health professionals which would be led by the Permanent Secretary or other skilled administrator to guarantee an unbiased outputin the best interest of consumers of health in Nigeria.”
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by sogodihno: 12:55pm On Aug 23, 2014
If FG grant this request then i think doctors wont feel cheated again, abt the consultancy issue
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by sainty2k3(m): 1:01pm On Aug 23, 2014
Which other country in the world have residency training for nurses,m pharmacist , lab scientist etc , UK? Us? Australia ? Pls op kindly answer this question with reference

5 Likes

Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by armadeo(m): 1:15pm On Aug 23, 2014
Residency.

Nurses already have subspecialty as midwifes, theater, surgical, went, eye, etc.

Lab science. I don't get what a resident in lab science would do.

Radiographers now here's a laugh. Let me guess residency in MRI angiography.

Please Oga op answer the guy above me.

4 Likes

Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 23, 2014
These people obviously are ignorant of what they are calling upon themselves.

I hope they still realise that a resident doctor is on a TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT and has a job and readings to do daily after which he must pass his/her exams within the specified period allotted for his sub-speciality or be booted into the unemployment market to start from GROUND ZERO.

Come and see and your life will surely never remain the same again CONSULTANT wannabe.

5 Likes

Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by MrsAwesome: 2:50pm On Aug 23, 2014
armadeo: Residency.

Nurses already have subspecialty as midwifes, theater, surgical, went, eye, etc.

Lab science. I don't get what a resident in lab science would do.

Radiographers now here's a laugh. Let me guess residency in MRI angiography.

Please Oga op answer the guy above me.
Nurses have post basic schools were the aforementioned specialties are studied, it would be worthwhile since they are also being trained in the teaching hospital to receive the perks associated with residency too.
If Nigeria is going to set precedent in residency training of other essential health professionals, then so be it. It is time to set the pace if it is going to solve Nigerian health sector problems.
@Mastify, we all hit the labour market after graduation and whomever is lucky get employed first but the perks of studying and getting paid handsomely should be extended to all and sundry.

2 Likes

Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by armadeo(m): 4:33pm On Aug 23, 2014
MrsAwesome: Nurses have post basic schools were the aforementioned specialties are studied, it would be worthwhile since they are also being trained in the teaching hospital to receive the perks associated with residency too.
If Nigeria is going to set precedent in residency training of other essential health professionals, then so be it. It is time to set the pace if it is going to solve Nigerian health sector problems.
@Mastify, we all hit the labour market after graduation and whomever is lucky get employed first but the perks of studying and getting paid handsomely should be extended to all and sundry.

So you agree that nurses are already trained post basic. Good. Though they aren't residents.

I thought international best practices have already started residency training fir health workers but according to you this isn't so.

What perks do residents enjoy if I may ask
Nigeria
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 23, 2014
why can't these professionals develop a programme that is PECULIAR to their profession? is residency applicable to ALL of them?

3 Likes

Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by MrsAwesome: 5:42pm On Aug 23, 2014
armadeo:

So you agree that nurses are already trained post basic. Good. Though they aren't residents.

I thought international best practices have already started residency training fir health workers but according to you this isn't so.

What perks do residents enjoy if I may ask
Nigeria
Are you asking about the perks? Please be real, come on.

Financial stability till you finish your programme will enhance the zeal that will be put in to learn and work while training knowing that you are appreciated by your government and not being used......as if others came for moonlight games.
No be only dokita waka come a beg.

US has taken precedent for nursing residency....
Emory, Vanderbilt, Penn's state, NYU to mentioned but a few for graduate nurses, there is also residency for nurse practitioners too.
My point about Nigerian residency is rhetorical and sarcastic.
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by armadeo(m): 6:21pm On Aug 23, 2014
MrsAwesome: Are you asking about the perks? Please be real, come on.

Financial stability till you finish your programme will enhance the zeal that will be put in to learn and work while training knowing that you are appreciated by your government and not being used......as if others came for moonlight games.
No be only dokita waka come a beg.

US has taken precedent for nursing residency....

Emory, Vanderbilt, Penn's state, NYU to mentioned but a few for graduate nurses, there is also residency for nurse practitioners too.
My point about Nigerian residency is rhetorical and sarcastic.

I missed the sarcasm angry angry

What does financial stability means aren't you already financially stable. Aren't you being paid salary as if now.
Please explain.

Again what does feel like you are being used mean. I am sorry I don't understand.

Every staff has an appointment letter where the duties required are listed why do you feel used in accordance with your appointment duties.
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by MrsAwesome: 6:28pm On Aug 23, 2014
armadeo:

I missed the sarcasm angry angry

What does financial stability means aren't you already financially stable. Aren't you being paid salary as if now.
Please explain.
When I was training for my post basic certificate, I wasn't financially okay because I was not paid. Since I already have RN ,RM and BNSC I was expected to work when posted to the ward likewise others without restrictions for 2 years of the training. It is frustrating I tell you.
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 23, 2014
MrsAwesome: When I was training for my post basic certificate, I wasn't financially okay because I was not paid. Since I already have RN ,RM and BNSC I was expected to work when posted to the ward likewise others without restrictions for 2 years of the training. It is frustrating I tell you.
had many friends who recieved salary while on post basic training ( in-service)
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by MrsAwesome: 6:39pm On Aug 23, 2014
joker5180: had many friends who recieved salary while on post basic training ( in-service)
Yea, some are already working and took study leave with pay especially the government staff while a greater percentage of us are green in the ear nurses without any financial support except family help.
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by armadeo(m): 6:39pm On Aug 23, 2014
MrsAwesome: When I was training for my post basic certificate, I wasn't financially okay because I was not paid. Since I already have RN ,RM and BNSC I was expected to work when posted to the ward likewise others without restrictions for 2 years of the training. It is frustrating I tell you.

Let me get this straight while training as post basic were u employed by the govt or you were in post basic nursing school.

The duration 2yrs.

Were you taking shifts with those in the ward or were u just used by your superiors because if your previous exposure and training.

What I am asking is as a post basic candidate are you required to work or be trained?
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by Nobody: 6:49pm On Aug 23, 2014
MrsAwesome: Yea, some are already working and took study leave with pay especially the government staff while a greater percentage of us are green in the ear nurses without any financial support except family help.
i can't see that happening in my area, health workers have no difficulty getting a job
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by MrsAwesome: 6:55pm On Aug 23, 2014
armadeo:

Let me get this straight while training as post basic were u employed by the govt or you were in post basic nursing school.

The duration 2yrs.

Were you taking shifts with those in the ward or were u just used by your superiors because if your previous exposure and training.

What I am asking is as a post basic candidate are you required to work or be trained?
There is a thin line between work and train when you are in post basic school. As part of the training sometimes we are required to take charge of the ward.
My course requires constant presence in the ward and theatre, it is intensive. I was not employed by the government but our basic RN was used, duty rosters are always created for student nurses whether post basic or not for the period of clinical posting experience .
It is a lot of trouble though without a penny in your pocket.
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by MrsAwesome: 7:00pm On Aug 23, 2014
[quote author=joker5180] i can't see that happening in my area, health workers have no difficulty getting a job[/quot/) I am not talking about graduates .....I am referring to nurses who went back to post basic schools.
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by armadeo(m): 7:55pm On Aug 23, 2014
MrsAwesome: There is a thin line between work and train when you are in post basic school. As part of the training sometimes we are required to take charge of the ward.
My course requires constant presence in the ward and theatre, it is intensive. I was not employed by the government but our basic RN was used, duty rosters are always created for student nurses whether post basic or not for the period of clinical posting experience .
It is a lot of trouble though without a penny in your pocket.

Please excuse my ignorance on this issue.

A nurse who goes for post basic training is or can be an RN + midwifery + BNSc.

This training is strictly on an academic note with clinical exposure where due to experience the nurses are used as full staff.

Now some nurses carry out this program with study leave due to its nature while others may follow up directly without pay.

We also have residents who aren't paid by the govt who are self sponsored or on study leave.

I think you case was one of supranumerary on a personal sponsorship. I have one question did you pay school fees and write exams in school or were you required to be in a hospital and after some training sit for exams.
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by sainty2k3(m): 9:06pm On Aug 23, 2014
At times I get confused , wondering what exactly johessu wants . today they'll be asking government to stop residency training for doctors, tomorrow they will say they want their own residency.
Whateva they say, Nigerian allied health workers that as neglected most of what is supposed to be their job description , now looking for copying what the doctors do, kind of sound strange to me

3 Likes

Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by MrsAwesome: 9:19pm On Aug 23, 2014
armadeo:

Please excuse my ignorance on this issue.

A nurse who goes for post basic training is or can be an RN + midwifery + BNSc.

This training is strictly on an academic note with clinical exposure where due to experience the nurses are used as full staff.

Now some nurses carry out this program with study leave due to its nature while others may follow up directly without pay.

We also have residents who aren't paid by the govt who are self sponsored or on study leave.

I think you case was one of supranumerary on a personal sponsorship. I have one question did you pay school fees and write exams in school or were you required to be in a hospital and after some training sit for exams.
Yea , I paid my school fees and write exams in between the training then thereafter a final qualifying exam at the end of the program. Most of the post basic schools are attached to a teaching hospital, so It won't be a bad idea if these post basic nursing students are placed on a salary till graduation.
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by armadeo(m): 9:31pm On Aug 23, 2014
MrsAwesome: Yea , I paid my school fees and write exams in between the training then thereafter a final qualifying exam at the end of the program. Most of the post basic schools are attached to a teaching hospital, so It won't be a bad idea if these post basic nursing students are placed on a salary till graduation.

Again I ask please excuse me, at what point is it neccesary to attend post basic training.

I know of run + mid and bnsc. What's post basic about? Is it what makes nurses specialty in theater, wars, cardio, ear, anaesthesia etc.
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by MrsAwesome: 9:39pm On Aug 23, 2014
armadeo:

Again I ask please excuse me, at what point is it neccesary to attend post basic training.

I know of run + mid and bnsc. What's post basic about? Is it what makes nurses specialty in theater, wars, cardio, ear, anaesthesia etc.
Yes, after graduating with either RN or BNSC or both,..

Post basic clinical nursing specialties are midwifery, cardiothoracic, intensive care or critical care, ear nose and throat, ophthalmic, burns and plastic, orthopaedic, anaesthesia, perioperative, public health, psychiatry,peadiatrics to mentioned but a few.
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by armadeo(m): 9:54pm On Aug 23, 2014
MrsAwesome: Yes, after graduating with either RN or BNSC or both,..

Post basic clinical nursing specialties are midwifery, cardiothoracic, intensive care or critical care, ear nose and throat, ophthalmic, burns and plastic, orthopaedic, anaesthesia, perioperative, public health, psychiatry,peadiatrics to mentioned but a few.

OK I think I get the post basic. So for example if you want to do cardio you apply to the school, if admitted you go for lectures and at the same time work as a nurse in the cardio dept.

Your work in cardio for example is it sanctioned fully by the hospital I.e is a post basic nurse left alone to run a shift? Or handle the theater or run a clinic alone at the end of say 1 yr?
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by MrsAwesome: 6:19am On Aug 24, 2014
armadeo:

OK I think I get the post basic. So for example if you want to do cardio you apply to the school, if admitted you go for lectures and at the same time work as a nurse in the cardio dept.

Your work in cardio for example is it sanctioned fully by the hospital I.e is a post basic nurse left alone to run a shift? Or handle the theater or run a clinic alone at the end of say 1 yr?

You work under the supervision of a superior officer.
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by armadeo(m): 9:07am On Aug 24, 2014
OK I get it now.
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by pharmguru: 9:55am On Aug 24, 2014
matify:

I hope they still realise that a resident doctor is on a TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT and has a job and readings to do daily after which he must pass his/her exams within the specified period allotted for his sub-speciality or be booted into the unemployment market to start from GROUND ZERO.

Come and see and your life will surely never remain the same again CONSULTANT wannabe.
if u like after dey give us d residency programe, don't go to work again......bad belly grin
matify:

if u like after dey give us d residency programe, don't go to work again......bad belly
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by Azijo: 11:38am On Aug 24, 2014
joker5180: why can't these professionals develop a programme that is PECULIAR to their profession? is residency applicable to ALL of them?
Exactly my mind! They shud stop complicating issues..
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by phantom(m): 4:06pm On Aug 24, 2014
but on a serious note,it is infact the nurses who should be specialising like doctors.
if you ask me,their post basic programme hasnt gathered enough clout yet.
they have a WAC of nursing but they don't seem to be serious honestly.

pharmacists too should be able to specialise in a different postgraduate program ACCORDING TO HOW THEY DEEM FIT.

we should have cardiovascular pharmacists,nephrology Pharm,Hiv pharm....e.t.c

for the lab guys, what do they need specialising for? they are already in one area of medicine.

2 Likes

Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by aztruth: 4:46pm On Aug 24, 2014
joker5180: why can't these professionals develop a programme that is PECULIAR to their profession? is residency applicable to ALL of them?

I know of residency in pharmacy and also physiotherspy, Not sure of others though.
BEST INTERNATIONAL PRACTICES MUST BE ADHERED TO AND NOT A NIGERIAN SYSTEM BASED ON SELFISH INTERESTS TO THE DETRIMENT OF THE HEALTH SECTOR LIKE THE NMA PRESENTED INITIALLY IN THEIR 24 POINTS.
GOOD THING ABOUT THE NMA STRIKE IS THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE WENT BACK TO DO RESEARCH ON HEALTH CARE SYSTEMS IN DEVELOPED NATIONS. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL HELP THE NIGERIAN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.

1 Like

Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by aztruth: 4:51pm On Aug 24, 2014
phantom: but on a serious note,it is intact the nurses who should be specialising like doctors.

pharmacists too should be able to specialise in a different postgraduate program ACCORDING TO HOW THEY DEEM FIT.

for the lab guys, what do they need specialising for? they are already in one area of medicine.

IF I WAS THE PRESIDENT I WOULD MAKE YOU THE NEXT MINISTER FOR HEALTH
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by MrsAwesome: 4:58pm On Aug 24, 2014
phantom: but on a serious note,it is intact the nurses who should be specialising like doctors.

Don't conclude that nurses are not serious about the West African college of nursing please . We have a lot of fellows from the said college, waiting on the national council of establishment utilization and placement.
Re: Residency Programme For Other Health Workers by allycat: 6:16pm On Aug 24, 2014
Earlier on this year a young lady showed up in my department with a letter stating that she was to do a residency in pharmacy. No sweat, the question I asked was what does your programme entail, who is to supervise you and what postings are you here for. She had a blank look on her face. The reason being that for doctors residency is a well defined programme. First a department and hospital that want to run a residency programme must seek accreditation from the PL college in that field and must undergo assessment where every thing from the number of Fellows and consultants available to teach to the number of instruments available, to the laboratory facilities to the state of your library.This is repeated every 2 to 5 years depending on how the department/hospital performs.
Then the resident usually must pass an entry level exam called the primaries to actually be deemed to started residency.During the programme there are procedures you must watch, assist and then do yourself with increasing levels of expertise. You must present countless clinical presentations, take part in all sorts of academic activities all the while doing the same duties a medical officer not in residency does. You are also required to go and spend time in other departments outside your primary area of specialisation for periods ranging from 2 months to a year or 2. If these are not available in your centre or not accredited in your centre you have to find a centre to complete your postings. You then do your part 1 which typically has a pass rate of 30% in Nigeria. Then two to four years of intense training in your department till you get to a stage that you are deemed to be fit to be left alone in the management of patients without any supervision and that is when you take part 2 and become a Fellow.
Why this long grammar because obviously this young lady was planning to come and sit in the department running clinics and joining us for ward rounds and maybe theatre sessions. Since she is not a doctor and the department has no pharmacy there would be nothing for her to do and nobody to train her.Or would she like a doctor resident clerk and examine patients, admit them do investigations, prepare them for surgery, assist the surgeon , do post op monitoring, set lines and do rectal examinations when necessary. Or were Consultant surgeons now expected to train her to become a surgeon. She couldn't answer the questions that day and never came back this happened more than 6 months ago. I am still waiting for her to come and explain her programme to me.
It's obvious so many others in allied health fields believe residency is about coming to work and getting paid and that's all. They have absolutely no idea what the programme entails foe doctors they just want what they consider the Perks!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Bluegate Homecare Nursing Services Lagos. / You Said You Have Tried Everything, Have You Tried The Cbd Oil? / 3 Natural Drinks Men Should Always Take Before Intercourse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.