Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,903 members, 7,810,471 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:40 AM

Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! (1035 Views)

Amosun Sacks Workers For Setting ‘offensive’ Exam Questions - PUNCH / Oou 2014/2015 Admisson / A Call On The Fg And Nuc To Close Down Madonna University Okija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! by adeoladrg(m): 5:07pm On Aug 23, 2014
Ogun Shuts Onabanjo Varsity to Maintain Peace
To forestall breakdown of law and order, Ogun State Government has directed the Governing Council of Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU), Ago Iwoye, to close down the university immediately.
The government also advised all parents whose wards are students of the university to immediately call them to order as the government will not tolerate any act that will disturb the peace being enjoyed by the people of the state.
In a statement signed by Barrister Taiwo Adeoluwa, Secretary to State Government, the decision to shut the university was taken in the overall interest of peace and order as the students of the university have continued to issue threats while rejecting all entreaties and concessions made by the government on their various demands concerning the recently announced reduction of school fees.
The government had on August 12 after extensive deliberations involving the leadership of the student unions in the 10 state-owned tertiary institutions, heads of the institutions and government representatives, announced reductions in school fees by as high as 61 percent.
The government also abolished the indigene/non-indigene dichotomy in the school fees regime and announced the 2014-2015 academic session as commencement period for the policy.
However, while students in nine of the ten institutions commended the government for its decisions, OOU students insisted that the new school fees regime should take effect from the 2013/2014 academic session and that the fees should be further reduced.
The OOU students premised their position on the fact that they are currently running the 2013-2014 academic session which will end in January. They also rejected the fact presented by students of other institutions that they are also in the same situation as some of them will only be concluding the 2013-2014 session in December.
The government had also sought to convince the students that it could not afford to bear the financial implication of commencing the implementation of the new school fees regime as it will cost the government over N2 billion.
OOU students staged a violent demonstration in the state capital on August 15 and it took the personal intervention of the governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun to restore normalcy.
The governor thereafter set up an ad-hoc committee to discuss with the students with a view to resolving the situation.
During discussions with the ad-hoc committee, OOU students maintained their stand that the fees must be further reduced and that the implementation must commence immediately.
The explanation that no other State in Nigeria is saddled with the responsibility of funding 10 tertiary institutions and that to accede to their request would mean natural death for the institutions made no sense to them.
The student leaders were within the week sending text messages round, urging their colleagues ‘to get ready for action’ as they are ready to unleash violence on the state capital. Security reports have since confirmed that because the students are acting under external influence, no concession made by the government will be satisfactory to them.
“Consequently, we have no option than to order the immediate closure of all the campuses of Olabisi Onabanjo University to protect the students and other residents of the state and their property. We urge all parents to impress on their wards the need to maintain peace in the interest of all”, Adeoluwa stated.
Signed
Barrister Taiwo Adeoluwa
Secretary to State Government
Re: Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! by adeoladrg(m): 5:10pm On Aug 23, 2014
SUG says:

Greatest OOU Students! Please don't travel o. The Ogun
State Government has beaten the drums of war and they
must dance to its tune. If you travel home at this point, you
will come back when they re-open the school to pay the
same fees or even higher fees. This is the most crucial
stage, wait for updates on next line of action. Make no
mistake about it, we will fight this and win. A million
Amosuns cannot stop us.

CDHR OOU
Re: Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! by Nobody: 6:18pm On Aug 23, 2014
Government reduced fees these rascals are still fermenting trouble.... Close that school for two years joor our amiable governor..... SIA lekansi!
Re: Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! by adeoladrg(m): 6:36pm On Aug 23, 2014
smartchoice: Government reduced fees these rascals are still fermenting trouble.... Close that school for two years joor our amiable governor..... SIA lekansi!

U're one of the few people I respect on NL.. Smh..
Re: Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 23, 2014
adeoladrg:

OOU then OSU has been known for decades for students and internal crisis, a school where student take pride in riot and violence than academic work. Since mid 90s no student ever graduted at his/her normal year of graduation without adding at least 2yrs more due to closure of school and violence with d school, the community and state.
In fact, o ti di baraku, ba'ye n se ni, enia o gbodo se'ra e.
OOUITES is like e ni lo itusile.
Re: Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! by reloboy(m): 7:59pm On Aug 23, 2014
thegreatman4ww:

OOU then OSU has been known for decades for students and internal crisis, a school where student take pride in riot and violence than academic work. Since mid 90s no student ever graduted at his/her normal year of graduation without adding at least 2yrs more due to closure of school and violence with d school, the community and state.
You don't have to comment just to show you know how to talk/type...........what you really don't know is that you are oblivious of the plight of the student and pls get ur fact right
Re: Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! by adeoladrg(m): 8:13pm On Aug 23, 2014
thegreatman4ww:

Egbon, e gbagbe history!!

Don't we have the right to cheap education also?

I have a single mom, sending the 5 boys my dad left behind to school.. I've paid over 200K for 2 sessions, where did you put the fear of God?

Why is the focus on the students this time? The governor announced a 40% reduction to be effected next year, we took a peaceful protest to Abeokuta last week demanding a further reduction and implementation this year!

The governor came out to address us, asked us to give him a week claiming he didn't know we were in our first semester. He said he was going to set up a committee to look into it. We did, buh we were deceived.

Gov Amosun has played his game on us, ordered the school to be closed down and put Policemen on the streets to fire at anyone who attempts at protesting..

Can't a middle-class Homo sapien send his ward to school again? When it's not a private school!!

It's now or never!! Aluta continua!!

3 Likes

Re: Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 23, 2014
reloboy: You don't have to comment just to show you know how to talk/type...........what you really don't know is that you are oblivious of the plight of the student and pls get ur fact right
On the first statement, I bliv that is not my intention. On the second, maybe u re very wrong because I have more of OOU std around.

Let forget this issue, what is a University? In a simply, an institution where universal knowledge is acquired. In developed world only few ppl have University education because it is very costly, thus intervention of govt, commty, states, etc to supplement tuition fee through various program. I you will not that UK and US has over 70% of their students as work and study. Some University adopted a session certificate where students can face study for a year, have his/her cert, work for sometimes, come back till he/she finishes the years. They even cut down the years to 3years, yet many can't afford it. This has lead to many UK/US universities to opt in for international students, distance learning centers, online degrees, etc. so as to expand their profit base.

On school fees, every school fees has elements of fees that made it up. In my own time in our University (Thank God I attended a public uni and spend 4yrs for 4yrs course) when schl was increased we say with the mgt get the fee components and eliminate those that literary shld the state govt responsibilities e.g health ctr mgt, lighting, infrastructures, etc and those that are to beneficial to ALL students e.g transport subsidy, with these the tuition reduces to around 60% then we went to the govt to provide the facilities we noted and help in subsidizing the schl fee, govt agreed and subsidized 15%. At the end the students were to pay 45%.

Now to the matter, Ogun State is financing up to ten higher institutions, two uni, two coll of educ, etc OK
Yoruba bo, won no yin ni yin ni ka se'mi
Eni dupe ore ana a ri imiran GBA
......may be back later
Re: Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! by Nobody: 12:51am On Aug 24, 2014
adeoladrg:

Apologies my great scientist... Just tweaking your mind ....
Re: Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! by Abbycite(m): 7:19am On Aug 24, 2014
thegreatman4ww:
On the first statement, I bliv that is not my intention. On the second, maybe u re very wrong because I have more of OOU std around.

Let forget this issue, what is a University? In a simply, an institution where universal knowledge is acquired. In developed world only few ppl have University education because it is very costly, thus intervention of govt, commty, states, etc to supplement tuition fee through various program. I you will not that UK and US has over 70% of their students as work and study. Some University adopted a session certificate where students can face study for a year, have his/her cert, work for sometimes, come back till he/she finishes the years. They even cut down the years to 3years, yet many can't afford it. This has lead to many UK/US universities to opt in for international students, distance learning centers, online degrees, etc. so as to expand their profit base.

On school fees, every school fees has elements of fees that made it up. In my own time in our University (Thank God I attended a public uni and spend 4yrs for 4yrs course) when schl was increased we say with the mgt get the fee components and eliminate those that literary shld the state govt responsibilities e.g health ctr mgt, lighting, infrastructures, etc and those that are to beneficial to ALL students e.g transport subsidy, with these the tuition reduces to around 60% then we went to the govt to provide the facilities we noted and help in subsidizing the schl fee, govt agreed and subsidized 15%. At the end the students were to pay 45%.

Now to the matter, Ogun State is financing up to ten higher institutions, two uni, two coll of educ, etc OK
Yoruba bo, won no yin ni yin ni ka se'mi
Eni dupe ore ana a ri imiran GBA
......may be back later

Don't even come back if dis is goiing to be ur line of arguments..... U don't get what d students are fighting for. They are saying Amosun lack integrity. He campaigned in d 2011 elections to cut d school fees by 50 percent if he was elected. The students thought they av seen their messiah, they voted for him enmassed, he relent on his promise saying exactly what u said above that he was sponsoring 10 institutuions as if previous administration has not done d same thing. Now, here is he with another promissory note when 2015 election is around d corner.....good timing!

Now, students from other institutions may rejoice for d reduction since most of them are running 14/15 calendar already or about to. OOU just started d 13/14 calendar and telling them to wait for d commencement of d 14/15 calendar before effecting d reduction is like waiting for a dubious politician to make good of his promise after election. Let's face d fact, d governor only reduce d school fees out of political reasons and nothing would stop him from going d 2011 way once he is reelected again.

The most painful part of dis whole issues is when he addressed d students in Oke Mosan, he appeared to be sympathetic to their plight, he even expressed surprise that he was not aware they are still 2013/14 session. D governor right there promised to looked into d matter and get back to them in 7 days only to send half of d policemen in d state to Ago Iwoye to intimidate and harass d students.

I will implore d students to endure d further, they av being enduring for 3 years, I believe they can do it for a year. 2015 election is here, use it to send a resounding message to d politicians that 'enough is enough'
Re: Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! by Nobody: 10:50am On Aug 24, 2014
Abbycite:

Don't even come back if dis is goiing to be ur line of arguments..... U don't get what d students are fighting for. They are saying Amosun lack integrity. He campaigned in d 2011 elections to cut d school fees by 50 percent if he was elected. The students thought they av seen their messiah, they voted for him enmassed, he relent on his promise saying exactly what u said above that he was sponsoring 10 institutuions as if previous administration has not done d same thing. Now, here is he with another promissory note when 2015 election is around d corner.....good timing!

Now, students from other institutions may rejoice for d reduction since most of them are running 14/15 calendar already or about to. OOU just started d 13/14 calendar and telling them to wait for d commencement of d 14/15 calendar before effecting d reduction is like waiting for a dubious politician to make good of his promise after election. Let's face d fact, d governor only reduce d school fees out of political reasons and nothing would stop him from going d 2011 way once he is reelected again.

The most painful part of dis whole issues is when he addressed d students in Oke Mosan, he appeared to be sympathetic to their plight, he even expressed surprise that he was not aware they are still 2013/14 session. D governor right there promised to looked into d matter and get back to them in 7 days only to send half of d policemen in d state to Ago Iwoye to intimidate and harass d students.

I will implore d students to endure d further, they av being enduring for 3 years, I believe they can do it for a year. 2015 election is here, use it to send a resounding message to d politicians that 'enough is enough'

Thank God I am back...Amosun lack integrity that I cant defend. Promisory note because of 2015 election, that I cant agreed with u because all other school will have been enjoying it before the election except OOU. I watched STV last week where your SUG PRO and one other member (maybe the Sec) were interviewed, the Fee was increased by previous govt, yes; the current govt promised 50% reduction but implement 10% yes; after roughly three years of discussions and negotiations the govt reduced further by 61% (as at now the govt has reduced your fees by 71%, abbah) and telling you that the latest reduction starts next session problem started. But I think there are many mgt and political student among you who understand the reality how budget works and the rudiment of University mgt.

My point is, promising violence and motivating students to make violence in order to implement your demands is absurd on you as intelligent, educated and literate undergraduates. It was on this premise that the govt took to it last action and attaching 2015 election to your demands makes your demands looks political. Moreover majority of the OOU students you are representing are not in support of this your last demands (note that I have many of OOUITES as friends).

If you are planning a peaceful (not violent) protest and the govt embark on such action, I can condem that bluntly but you are planning and organizing a violent protest. I believe you can take clue from NLC, ASUU, etc and recently BrickOurGirls Protest. Finishing a 2013/2014 academic session by Dec 2015 or early 2016 is not the best option for you, if you ppl had enough patient for three years to be on negiotiation table while not take the option now.

I am not againt your demands but taken to violence as a means to achieving it does not protrait the good image of you ppl in the face of clamoring for improve educational infrastructure and facilities.
Re: Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! by Abbycite(m): 11:30am On Aug 24, 2014
thegreatman4ww:

Thank God I am back...Amosun lack integrity that I cant defend. Promisory note because of 2015 election, that I cant agreed with u because all other school will have been enjoying it before the election except OOU. I watched STV last week where your SUG PRO and one other member (maybe the Sec) were interviewed, the Fee was increased by previous govt, yes; the current govt promised 50% reduction but implement 10% yes; after roughly three years of discussions and negotiations the govt reduced further by 61% (as at now the govt has reduced your fees by 71%, abbah) and telling you that the latest reduction starts next session problem started. But I think there are many mgt and political student among you who understand the reality how budget works and the rudiment of University mgt.

My point is, promising violence and motivating students to make violence in order to implement your demands is absurd on you as intelligent, educated and literate undergraduates. It was on this premise that the govt took to it last action and attaching 2015 election to your demands makes your demands looks political. Moreover majority of the OOU students you are representing are not in support of this your last demands (note that I have many of OOUITES as friends).

If you are planning a peaceful (not violent) protest and the govt embark on such action, I can condem that bluntly but you are planning and organizing a violent protest. I believe you can take clue from NLC, ASUU, etc and recently BrickOurGirls Protest. Finishing a 2013/2014 academic session by Dec 2015 or early 2016 is not the best option for you, if you ppl had enough patient for three years to be on negiotiation table while not take the option now.

I am not againt your demands but taken to violence as a means to achieving it does not protrait the good image of you ppl in the face of clamoring for improve educational infrastructure and facilities.

Let me lay it for u clearly;
* Previous governor increased d school fees to an average of 70-100k and pple despise him for it.
* He (Amosun) campaigned on dis promising to revert it by as much as 50 percent.
* He was sworn in 2011 and he symbolically cut 10 percent out of d school fees.
* But since then, school fees has astronomically risen to an average of 120 - 170k. (Just after 3 years).
* 3 years down d lane, another campaign is at d horizon, he suddenly realize that students are paying too much.... And he promised to cut 40 percent from d fees which by calculation, would take effect after d election.
* Now, there is dis saying 'fool me once shame on me, fool twice shame on u'. All they asked for, is not to make them look like a fool. Somebody that can break a promise can break thousands of promises.
* There was never a time, they resort to violence. And I think that was d reason d SUG leader in their wisdom prefer the last protest to be at d govt house rather than d school premise.
* Now d beauty of democracy is d ability to express urself freely. Nigerian politics is getting to a stage where d politicians must think carefully b4 opening their mouth to promise d masses because we will hold them to their last word.
* He (Amosun) was castigating OGD for increasing d school fees without getting d facts behind it. And he used this as a horse to d govt house, dis is now his turn to feel d pulse of governing and he must not faulter.
Re: Gov Amosun Orders Close Down Of OOU! by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 24, 2014
Abbycite:

Let me lay it for u clearly;
* Previous governor increased d school fees to an average of 70-100k and pple despise him for it.
* He (Amosun) campaigned on dis promising to revert it by as much as 50 percent.
* He was sworn in 2011 and he symbolically cut 10 percent out of d school fees.
* But since then, school fees has astronomically risen to an average of 120 - 170k. (Just after 3 years).
* 3 years down d lane, another campaign is at d horizon, he suddenly realize that students are paying too much.... And he promised to cut 40 percent from d fees which by calculation, would take effect after d election.
* Now, there is dis saying 'fool me once shame on me, fool twice shame on u'. All they asked for, is not to make them look like a fool. Somebody that can break a promise can break thousands of promises.
* There was never a time, they resort to violence. And I think that was d reason d SUG leader in their wisdom prefer the last protest to be at d govt house rather than d school premise.
* Now d beauty of democracy is d ability to express urself freely. Nigerian politics is getting to a stage where d politicians must think carefully b4 opening their mouth to promise d masses because we will hold them to their last word.
* He (Amosun) was castigating OGD for increasing d school fees without getting d facts behind it. And he used this as a horse to d govt house, dis is now his turn to feel d pulse of governing and he must not faulter.

Ok, but violence is not the best option....let rest it there. Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

AAUA Releases First Admission List!!! / Guidelines On Part-time And Sandwich Programmes In Nigerian Universities / Teacher/lecturer; Have You Ever Fumble Before Your Students?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.