Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,597 members, 7,955,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:12 PM

An Open Letter To Governor Ibikunle Amosun. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / An Open Letter To Governor Ibikunle Amosun. (749 Views)

Amosun Sacks Workers For Setting ‘offensive’ Exam Questions - PUNCH / An Open Letter To Governor Ibikunle Amosun On MAPOLY Impunity / Amosun Reduces Fees In Oguntertiary Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter To Governor Ibikunle Amosun. by adeoladrg(m): 1:38am On Aug 24, 2014
Sarah Dessen wisely said: “There are some things in this world you rely on, like a sure bet. And when they let you down, shifting from where you’ve carefully placed them, it shakes your faith, right where you stand.”

Closely observing the 2011 elections, I was particularly not interested in voting even if I was eligible to. I’m the type who would rather listen to what a wide range of people had to say about a topic or person before drawing my inference. The blind could vividly see, the deaf could also clearly hear the plights of the people of Ogun state. Everyone was tired of the Gbenga Daniel’s Administration. Left, right and center was all bad news and unhearable tantrums by the former governor. My heart sunk, my spirit prayed for change, my soul yearned in hope, my body agitated in anger and fury. It was Gbenga against Governor Amosun.

Still green in my cerebral cortex was that moment of jubilation that evening, I just woke up from sleep to the news that Senator Ibikunle Amosun is the Governor-elect of Ogun State. I picked up the JAMB form where I chose to study at Olabisi Onabanjo University and glared my bulbus oculi on it with joy properly triturated with hope. He promised to reduce OOU fees if elected. That meant my single mum wasn’t going to cough out too much money to get me educated. I just sensed a feeling that everything was going to be alright, only if I knew.

Fast forward 2014, it was a different game on the streets. Partisans and market women commended the governor for the road repairs.Taxi drivers also sang his praises. Indeed, it was immense and worthy of praise. As my good friend likes to say, “Governor Amosun has a penchant for bridges”. Space won’t permit me to begin to list the roads and bridges, but it’s there for us to see. Well done sir.
Senator Ibikunle Amosun becoming Governor was also good news to Olabisi Onabanjo University. If no one would admit, I humbly would. First, the corrupt VC was done away with and Prof Saburi Adesanya was installed. This alone spelt complete sanity to OOU's environments and academics. But then with all these, I still had to put up with the fees. Having to pay 204,500 naira in 2011 was hard to swallow but since no one was talking about it, I kept mute. The next session had to take 212,000 naira from my mother’s purse and I could barely imagine how I had been slapped.

Alexander Pope correctly said, “Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed”.To cut the long story short. Fast forward July 2014. I already started classes for the new session, and with the heavy fees sitting on my mind like a rich man relaxing on his couch I always put Divine provision in my prayers. Suddenly, on getting the news on the fees reduction to take effect next session by Governor Amosun, I wasn’t moved. I knew it was time for elections and he would need to score few political points, I passed it over and considered it as a speculation. I wasn’t going to be disappointed again!
OOU SUG then announced a 2-day boycott of lectures before going to negotiate with the governor, all efforts proved abortive. Then I thought just like Wande Coal sang ‘Shey na like this e go dey dey?’

My heart rejoiced at the peaceful demonstrations by the Ifade Onisegun led SUG, to demand further reduction and immediate implementation. A paroxysm of hope held my hands. Once again, You came out to claim you weren’t aware we were in our first semester, asked for a week and promised to set up a committee to see to that effect. I was happy again, lectures resumed normally, high expectations met with hopeful myopia. Only if we knew! The greatest shock came on the expiration of the 7 days you asked for at Abeokuta. You ordered the Governing council of the school to close down the school. You also sent loads of Policemen into the school environment to arrest student leaders.

I have the following questions to ask sir, was this how Sir Obafemi Awolowo treated you when you were in school? The third governor of Ogun state who built this university, Olabisi Onabanjo in his grave must be colossally saddened by the way you have played down on his sweat and toils to make sure Ogun state youths get quality and cheap education. The labours of our heroes past we always sing, shall never be in vain! These great people gave you free education, why have you, like King Solomon decided to put the burden on us? Yes, the question comes, you were not the one who hiked the fees, but the truth remains you promised to lighten our burdens if elected. You promised we weren't going to pay anything above 50,000 naira if elected. Why have you reneged on your promise? Why have you ordered the arrest of our student leaders to have us helpless and hopeless? Why would you treat Ogun state youths like some pack of cards? Sir, your Rebuild Agenda at the 2011 election had five cardinal points, first of which was ‘Affordable and Quality Education’.
Where is the affordable and quality education sir? You have deceived us and have gone too far. The voice of the people is the voice of God!

Let us get this straight sir, History has it about the Indomitable spirit of OOUites. If there’s any school that’ll quiver or tremor at your tantrums, trust me sir it’d never be OOU. Ask Olusegun Osoba, ask Samuel Ewang! Moreover, I’m sure you were moved at the crowd you saw at the last protest, that’s why you called it opposition sponsored. Hehe, you haven’t seen anything yet! We know all you care about is the election next year and we are ready to play it dirty. We would show the world how you’ve destroyed the sweat of Sir Olabisi Onabanjo. Fire gunshots at us sir, we don’t care! Arrest and imprison us sir, our CVs won’t be complete without it. Let the threats come in, we’ve had enough and have come too far to compromise. We’ve crossed the rubicon! Sir, I honestly submit you need to have a rethink. The Proactive decisions made by Gov. Fashola has been recorded in the books of history and how you resolve this issue might just determine where history will place you.

Just know ONE thing at this crucial stage sir, we do not accept the closure of our school as you have acted within the confines of your power. You must have read about John Castor, the student leader who said 'We either revolt or die!'. On Affordable and Quality Education we stand and for as long as possible, ALUTA MUST CONTINUA, VICTORIA ASCERTA.

Rx Robinho

(1) (Reply)

Ebola: Schools To Resume October 13 / Finally NDU Post Ume Result Is Out...letz Know Ur Score And Course HERE! / Postgraduate Form At National Mathematical Centre Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.