Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,412 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

IFY - A Romantic Thriller - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / IFY - A Romantic Thriller (54719 Views)

Tarasha - (An Action Thriller) - Story Of The Month - January 2016 / Ify , A Romantic Thriller Continuation . / 17 Awosika-a Crime/action Thriller (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by jaymomma(f): 1:21pm On Sep 11, 2014
Stumbled on this story yday and I luv every bit of it. U r good OP

Thumbs up

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Edcharles(m): 1:30pm On Sep 11, 2014
Hmm...nice work vinso or should i say emmy boy.... Is the story based on what happened to you??... I like the twists and suspense you're building grin... I must say this is Hollywood standard....Again Good work!!!

2 Likes

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 3:41pm On Sep 11, 2014
jaymomma: Stumbled on this story yday and I luv every bit of it. U r good OP

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot jaymomma. Nice handle though. By the way, I hope your favorite website is not stumbleupon.com huh? tongue
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 3:45pm On Sep 11, 2014
Edcharles: Hmm...nice work vinso or should i say emmy boy.... Is the story based on what happened to you??... I like the twists and suspense you're building grin... I must say this is Hollywood standard....Again Good work!!!

Bia Ed abi Edwards...you again?

Anyway sha, thanks for your nice words and thanks for reading but Hollywood standard...? Haabaaaa! Okay na! grin

As per your question, guy abeg wen you see Vinso, u fit ask am becos me I know no... tongue
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 3:49pm On Sep 11, 2014
I was also envious of the respect accorded to those with regular jobs. It seems people respected them more for having the courage to wake up every morning and leave their homes for work. Somehow, it struck me as surprising that nobody seems to questions how much they earn. I came to understand that was simply because people were more interested in seeing the effort they were making. The way I see it, to them, that is one of the simplest definitions of hard work.

I want to have that respect too. Yes, it was about time I start enjoying the comfort of that steady paycheck that comes at the end of every month. Well, I am not entirely new in receiving end-of-the-month checks because as a blogger, I have been receiving Google AdSense checks from Google but the problem with AdSense is that it is very tricky and not very steady. One month, you hit an all-time high; the next month, you get nothing—absolutely nothing.

Sometimes you might even have to wait for eternity before you reach that $100 payout. Then when you add that waiting period to the fact that the AdSense check normally takes a long time, sometimes, up to two to three good months before it finally arrives at your doorstep, and then you pass through the rigmarole of cashing it and then waiting for your bank to clear the check, then you will understand what I meant when I said the problem with Google AdSense.

As I carefully dressed, my only thought was to do everything humanly possible to get this job—this time!

Yes, I was that hopeful even though I knew deep within me that I was never cut out for office or regular jobs. Even before I went for that life-changing seminar, I have managed to convince myself that office work was very monotonous hence boring. And I hated boredom with a passion.

Not only that, I also didn’t like the fact that in most regular jobs, unless one engages in other businesses while at work, it is practically impossible to increase his or her earnings at the end of month because the monthly salary is already fixed. In fact, I hated the official bureaucracy associated with most regular jobs and all of its rigid structure with a passion too.

But now I was ready for a change. Just like that seminar guy suggested, you always need to make the best of your current position which means I have to start seeing any present job that I am engaged in as a launching pad and a great opportunity towards the big picture I had in mind.
I have always told myself that I needed to work in a vibrant organization where my mental input will be encouraged and appreciated and equally rewarded in full. I needed an efficient organization where freestyle is encouraged in both thinking and ways of doing things. I wanted to be in an organization where innovation and fast delivery will be its hallmark, with happy and dedicated seen workers everywhere you turn to. And I want to be the boss of this organization. That was my big picture.

But as the years rolled by, I came to realize my options were decreasing and I needed no one to tell me I should start reconsidering. I knew I needed something steady, something better than depending on football betting and predicting the outcomes of football matches as a means of livelihood.

Then a strange thought entered my mind. What if I was being taken for a ride or somebody was simply playing pranks on me? Believe it or not, people can and do play that sort of expensive jokes and pranks on each other. Don’t ask me how I knew that.

Or maybe, someone was setting me up for a grand scam? Of course, I also knew that some other people have also been defrauded in that same way. People who have served in the NYSC are usually the worst hit.

It generally works like this. Some persons who claim they served in the NYSC with you will call or send you an SMS informing you that some Oil or Multinational Company like NNPC, Shell Petroleum, or ExxonMobil is recruiting and they know someone (who knows someone) who can help you get the job. If you buy into that story, it won’t be long before they start asking you to part with your hard earned money just to help in facilitating and putting ‘things’ in your favor.

People fall for this scam for so many reasons. First, I just don’t know why some people are so ignorant. They don’t ask questions. Some others, who will get that type of nonsensical and sometimes wrongly typed messages—often fraught with so many other glaring grammatical errors—will even believe it at once because they will see it as a sign that they are being specially favored by God because God is finally answering their prayers. Mtcheew… being favored indeed!

It doesn’t get any better because some others, out of sheer greed or selfishness or due to their all-knowing wisdom, might even try to keep the information away from another person or other job seekers so that they will benefit from the information alone.

Now the worst part is that when these people who fall for this clever scam eventually discover that they have been swindled, most times, probably out of shame, they don’t come out clean to say anything about it to warn others or expose the fraudsters.

Anyway I wouldn’t say I blame them entirely for falling for the scam because of the way the scam is orchestrated. First of all, it is really confusing because the scammer seems to know you. Of course, they must have gleaned your details off the NYSC yearbook. Then secondly, they make the offer seem so good to be true.

Then if you join that to the fact that most job seekers in the country are very desperate for white collar jobs coupled with the fact that people can be so gullible at times, then you will start seeing why it is so easy for them to be had.

It is also a well known fact that almost all graduates in Nigeria want to be employed in an Oil company because of the bumper pay oil workers are said to be receiving as salaries and bonuses. No wonder they keep on falling and falling for that scam!

But not me!

Sometimes when people recount how they were swindled off their hard earned money, I will always wonder how come they couldn’t see the clear handwriting on the wall but then deep inside me, I know that the fact that I don’t even have that type of money to give anyone is the one main reason why I have never fallen for that cheap scam.

Could that be what was about happening to me now? I quickly dismissed the thought. The seriousness of the man’s voice shows he really means business. Besides, I have already told myself that once he starts mentioning something about paying so, so, so and so money for so, so, so and so services, I am out! I’m done. It’s that simple!

I remembered that the man said I should come along with the samples of my work and I started contemplating whether I should take my laptop or not. It crossed my mind to rush over to Eze’s place to get his solid state-of-the-art machine but I quickly decided against it immediately. The tool doesn’t matter. Let my work speak for me. Besides, I didn’t want to be late for the interview and if I dropped off at Eze’s place, I’m afraid something like that might just happen.

I took a long look at myself in my mirror. Then I adjusted my black tie and straightened my plain sky blue colored linen shirt which was well tucked inside my black well ironed trousers before rearranging and shifting the belt around my waist into a more comfortable position. Then I lightly applied my Wishbone perfume.

Satisfied with my appearance, I smiled at the confident guy in the mirror. It was my charming smile. It was a smile that says all is well. The same reassuring smile that miraculously makes all my problems to go away and disappear in a jiffy or seem like it’s nothing whenever it seems like things are becoming too unbearable or too difficult for me to handle.

I have been drilled a lot in the past on how to appear for an interview. What most people are advised when going for an interview is to always dress to impress and look so smart but the truth is that you can never truly impress anybody in this life if you lack that inner confidence that comes with having that inner happiness that comes from completely knowing yourself and your inner game, from knowing the great and wonderful things you know you can do, and from completely trusting and believing in yourself.

I carefully folded my laptop, put it into its bag, and zipped the bag. Then I stepped outside and locked my doors behind me and strut out to face the world, walking majestically towards Mbanugo Bus Stop where I intend getting a ride to Chime Avenue.

While I waited for the bus to arrive, I compiled in my mind, a list of all my friends I was literally going to kill if it turns out they were the ones playing this costly prank on me.

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Essyydiamond(f): 5:17pm On Sep 11, 2014
What can I say?
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by LeoFish92(m): 7:19pm On Sep 11, 2014
'' I have taunted him and some of
other Chelsea fans telling them that Benfica, being
an attacking minded side with sharpshooters as
strikers, will definitely beat them silly in the finals.''

thought you said Vinc knows little or nothing about football....how come he even knows teams like benfica and their attacking prowess??
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 10:01pm On Sep 11, 2014
Essyydiamond: What can I say?

I dunno. Maybe try "I love you Vince"? cool wink
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 10:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
LeoFish92: '' I have taunted him and some of
other Chelsea fans telling them that Benfica, being
an attacking minded side with sharpshooters as
strikers, will definitely beat them silly in the finals.''

thought you said Vinc knows little or nothing about football....how come he even knows teams like benfica and their attacking prowess??

Why not? In my own opinion, when you are into football betting (as a means of livelihood) like the Vince character, you tend to know these things...
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 10:11pm On Sep 11, 2014
CHAPTER 12

I alighted from the bus and started heading towards the roundabout at Chime Avenue like the man on the phone had described. The giant plaza was there quite alright like the man had said but I started having the same misgiving again about the whole thing when I looked around and I couldn’t see any Delic Solutions signpost.

Come to think of it now, seriously, how come I have never heard of this company before? In fact, I knew that if any of my crazy friends should jump out now from their hiding place to laugh and jeer at me, I wouldn’t be so surprised.

I walked into one pharmaceutical shop on the down floor of the giant building and I asked the chemist there where I could locate Delic Solutions. He gave me some directions and I expressed my gratitude and left.

I started climbing the flight of stairs. Like I always do when climbing staircases, I unconsciously counted the stairs. It’s not like I was expecting anyone to ask me how many steps I climbed but I have heard about interviews where candidates failed simply because they were not observant enough so I trained my eyes to notice every little detail that might even seem so insignificant.

Finally, I came to the third floor and followed the direction of the arrow that pointed to Delic. My heart was now beginning to pound because it was beginning to seem to me that everything was gradually becoming real.

I paused for awhile and took in some quick breath, and then I walked through the door that had Delic clearly printed in block capitals on the head post of the door.

I walked up to the girl sitting behind the table. I guessed she must be the receptionist. She looked up from the magazine she was reading and looked at me.

“Good morning. My name is Vincent Dike. I am here for an interview with Mr. George Okafor,” I said as I introduced myself.

She looked at me closely before she said, “Okay, wait for him. He is with somebody now. You can sit there to wait for him. Let me go in and inform him of your presence.” She pointed to a comfortable looking sofa at one end of the wide office.

“Thank you.”

I walked to the sofa and carefully lowered myself into it. I placed my laptop bag by my side and took the time to survey the whole place.
I liked the air of simplicity in design of the whole room. The cleanliness also got to me. The floors were well tiled. The walls were painted white. There was a portrait of Madonna Litta by Leonardo da Vinci on the wall facing me. I also noticed the place was not noisy. The only sound in the background was slow mechanical grinding sound of the ceiling fan that was keeping the place cool and the Port Harcourt son song by Duncan Mighty that was coming from the girl’s phone.

The girl re-entered and my trailing eyes settled on her. As she made to take her seat behind the desk again, I could see she was quite pretty. She was fair in complexion. She couldn’t be more than eighteen or nineteen.

I could see the signs that she was gradually budding into womanhood. She was putting on a yellow T-shirt with the words ‘MTN – everywhere you go’ boldly printed in front and a tight-fitting navy blue jeans skirt that showed off her developing curves and nice legs. Our eyes met and she quickly looked away. I chuckled inwardly. On any ordinary day, I would have smiled at her, but I wanted to be professional so I kept my face expressionless.

I heard a door open and close somewhere in the background and then I heard some retreating footsteps before I heard another door open and then close. The girl, who was obviously not so comfortable with the absolute silence between us, now turned to me.

“Sir, you can go in now. It is the first door by your left.” She motioned towards the door behind her. I liked the respect I detected in her tone.

“Thank you,” I said again as I stood up and picked my up laptop bag. I had waited for thirteen minutes. I walked past her into the narrow and tiled passageway. I counted five doors – two on the left and three on the right. As I passed the first door on my right, I could hear a voice and some low murmurs coming from the inside. From what I heard, it sounded to me as if someone was having a computer tutor class from the way he was issuing instructions.

I paused in front of the first door by my left. This is it, I told myself. I took another deep breath as I knocked on the door.

“Come in, please!” It was that same deep voice again. This is it, I told myself again. This is for real. I grabbed the door knob and gently pushed the door open and walked inside.

The man was seated behind a wide mahogany desk in the air-conditioned spacious office. The whole floor was completely rugged. You could smell the opulence from the way the interiors of the office was tastefully furnished. The walls were milky white in color. A big flat screen computer monitor was placed on the desk. The fragrance in the room also got to me.

I took a closer look at the man. From the way he sounded on the phone, I had already painted a picture of him as a giant in my mind. And it turned out I was right because of his towering and large frame. His size was quite intimidating but that was where the intimidation stopped because he had a very handsome and welcoming face.

He stood up and beamed a smile at me. There was something faintly familiar about his smile. Have I ever seen him before? Have we ever met before? Was he a lecturer in my school or something? Well, I dismissed the thought. People do resemble people, anyway.

He stretched his hairy hands out towards me and I shook it firmly. I was aware that a person’s handshake can convey certain kinds of message. I didn’t want him to see me as a weak person.

“I am George Okafor. And you are welcome to Delic.”

“Thank you sir.”

“You can have a seat. Please feel free. Make yourself comfortable.” He sat down again. I pulled the seat he offered and sat down.

“Welcome… Mr… er… Vincent… Dike, right?”

“Yes.”

As I settled down, I carefully took another look at him. I could see he was sitting on a swivel chair from the way he slowly spun himself around. He had a rectangular face. He could be in his late forties but he couldn’t be more than fifty years although I noticed his receding hairline that suggested he was beginning to bald. What I liked about him instantly was the sharpness in his eyes. He kept a moustache. He was wearing a white short sleeve shirt.

“Sorry. I kept you waiting. Well I don’t want to waste your time because I hope to go back to Lagos today. I am aware that you are very good in PHP, right?”

“Yes. And website designing too,” I quickly added.

“That’s good. That’s good. I hope you remembered to bring the sample of your work like I asked you to?”

“Yes sir.”

“Okay, that’s good. Before we get into that, let me briefly tell you what we do here. I am the Director of this software company. We are majorly based in Lagos but we decided to expand our branch and so we came down to Enugu and we have been in this town for almost two years and a half now.

“We are a solutions providing team hence our name. We do web consulting, computer software design and also web applications development. We are also into preparing students who are going for various certification examinations in Java, Microsoft, Oracle, and Cisco Networking. We intend to add PHP certification examination to the mix.

“Most of our clients are from Lagos but we decided to come down to this part of the country to penetrate the virgin market here because if you look at it, our brothers in the western part of this country are very much far ahead of us when it comes to ICT. We felt like it would be a good idea for us to be like the pioneers of ICT in the South East but for us to do that, we figured we need vibrant, able and willing hands to help push our goal through. That is what we do. And that is why you are here.”

He was looking at me studiously as if to ascertain whether I was following. I nodded my head to show him I was with him. I liked the ease, the comfort and the confidence he displayed as he spoke.

He continued. “We already have capable hands in desktop software development. These guys are very good in Java, C++ and even Microsoft Visual C# but now it seems everybody is diversifying and we also want to be current in the latest trends. That’s why we are now seeking for those who know other programming languages to get on board. I hope you are following?”

“Yes sir, I am following.” I nodded again to indicate I was paying rapt attention.

“You will agree with me that it will actually ease off the pressure on them if we get other experts on board rather than forcing them to take a break from what they are already good in to learn a new one, while at the same time still allow us to diversify.”

I nodded again. He really liked the word diversify.

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Essyydiamond(f): 10:46pm On Sep 11, 2014
2scorehigh:

I dunno. Maybe try "I love you Vince"? cool wink
Hahahahaha am not Ify.
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 7:20am On Sep 12, 2014
“So tell me Mr. Vincent, what’s your discipline in the university. I mean, what did you study?”

“Sir, I studied Civil Engineering at Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka. I majored in Structural Analysis and Designs, and Geotechnics.”

“Great. So, permit me to ask, why or how did you end up in computer line?”

“I am a very versatile person and like you said sir, diversification is the key. I find computers very interesting. Also, we all know that today’s world is driven by information, and computers, with the help of internet, help us to stay updated. I just love gathering information.

“Besides, technology wise, the world today is changing so fast these days. Existing technologies are being made obsolete so soon by newer ones. Jobs are disappearing so fast. In fact, it is becoming very obvious in our dynamic world today that those who will survive are only those who can adapt to these frequent changes. Luckily for us, computers present us with a very bright opportunity to take on or address some of these changes.”

He grinned. I could see he liked the way I delivered it. I was pleased with myself too because I knew I was saying the truth. I knew that one of the biggest problems most Nigerian undergraduates and even graduates have is that they don’t know, don’t want to know, or should I say, don’t feel like there is any need to diversify.

I am a product of the system and I know that most of us have this mentality that a law student must only practice law. A medical student can only be a doctor. A linguistics student should not be a programmer. And a civil engineer cannot be a writer.

But then, what most of us don’t know is that the more skills you have; the more your chances of being gainfully employed. To make it worse, most of these so-called professionals don’t even know anything about how to use a computer. Some consider it extraneous because it has no direct impact in their chosen field of study. I had to learn the hard way but I am so glad I did learn.

“That’s good. So can I see the work you have done?”

“No problem.” I placed the laptop bag containing my laptop on my knees and unzipped the bag. Then I brought out my old rugged laptop and placed on his desk. If he thought poorly of my old laptop, I didn’t see it on his face. All I could see was his eagerness and anticipation. I just pray he will not be disappointed.

As we waited for my laptop to complete its booting, because it was now taking quite some time, he looked at me and said, “So, Mr. Dike, what were the challenges you faced as a Civil Engineering student?”

I looked at him and said, “Sir, Civil Engineering was a very tough challenge for me but I thank God I was able to cross that bridge finally. To tell you the truth, Civil Engineering is a very brutal course…”

He nodded and smiled at the word brutal. I paused then continued.

“There were lots and lots of areas to be covered. I had to read a lot to succeed. There were so many exams to write. I also faced a different type of challenge during my Industrial Training where I had to see the application of most of the things we were taught and some others we didn’t even have any idea about.

“We did architecture. We studied transportation engineering. Fluid mechanics. Water resources. Environmental Engineering. Civil Engineering Surveys. Soil Mechanics. We did a lot! We covered Geotechnical and Foundation Engineering, Structural Analysis and even Strength of Material, just to name a few. There were so many tough areas to combat with and we were expected to come out tops in all those areas.”

“I see.” He nodded.

My laptop has finished booting. I then launched the project I wanted him to see. It wasn’t actually my project, so to speak. It was a project I was helping some final year computer science students of Institute of Management and Technology, or IMT, Enugu to design. It was an online electronic voting database management system design with PHP.

“This is it. This project is an e-voting application that is targeted towards eliminating the long process of voting registration and voting in the country.”

“E-voting…? Okay. So, how does it work?”

“Well, it works as an online e-registration portal for national elections and also for national population census.”

“Okay?”

“Like I said, the whole idea behind it is that it is structured in such a way to eliminate the long process and tedious tasks involved in registering for elections in the country.”

I proceeded to show him the site design and how everything was structured to enable data collation of users. Then I described to him how the data will be stored in the database and how the application makes it possible for users who have registered to retrieve their information. I told him how the voting process could also be simply carried out with the app. I showed him all the coding for the business part as well as the front-end presentation part of the application which also involved some sprinkling of CSS and JavaScript.

I made my explanation so lively. I wanted him to catch the vibe. I could see from the way he kept nodding his head that he liked the idea although I also got the feeling that he didn’t actually understand everything I was saying.

Not that it mattered anyway. He was such an easy man to talk to. It was easy for me to see he was well-to-do but he also had this cheerfulness and freeness about him that really made it easier for us to have a nice and free-flowing conversation. We laughed. We joked. He was very relaxed. I was relaxed. It didn’t feel like an interview anymore.

I told him the whole point of having such an app is to eliminate the huge cost of conducting census and elections in the country. I also told him that an online electioneering system will make possible for so many eligible voters to actually vote due to the highly penetrative power of the internet while at the same time eliminate the violence that is often associated with holding elections in the country.

I told him that if we had in place a system where people can easily go online to vote, then we can start getting a better idea of how people voted in elections and also a more credible result which would also be released very fast because everything will be done in real time. As a rider, I also told him that the app will also make it possible for citizens living abroad to vote.

He was not interested in interrupting me. He just allowed me to run my full commentary. When I was through with my explanations, he looked at me wide-eyed, and then he smiled and said, “Well, your app looks good but I didn’t hear you mention anything about preventing double voting or do you think some people will not be tempted to try such a thing…?”

“Well, sir, that is where biometrics will come in. Although it is not yet part of this app right now but for the sake of security and prevention of multiple registrations and voting, this app will have to incorporate things like the use of fingerprints or even iris identification.”

“Okay but don’t you think the idea of incorporating fingerprinting is still far-fetched in the country?”

“Of course I know the idea might sound utopian at the moment in the country but we cannot rule out the possibilities derivable through innovation.”

“Yes, I think you may be right. The only mitigation I see now is that most of our people are still ignorant, some are still illiterate and there are some people who are so used to doing things the old way. So how do you intend to address those issues?”

“Well, assuming we have such an e-voting system in place, the government has a very big part to play in making the whole process workable.
The government will have to carry out enlightenment campaign to tell people how to use the app. The government can also set up centers across the nation where people can easily go for data capture. Don’t forget that the government can also make double registration a criminal offense. Of course, the app will be developed to be very user-friendly and the government can also incorporate a system that makes it possible for anybody in the country to be easily identified.”

“You mean something like the Social Security Number system of identification we have in the US?”

“Exactly!”

He was elated, I could see it.

“Well, hmm, Mr. Vincent, I must say that’s an awesome project. Do you have other things you can show me because I am really interested in seeing what you can do?”

“No problem, sir.” I opened the folder where I saved all the WordPress themes and Joomla! templates I have been designing.

“These are some customized WordPress templates that I have also designed with PHP and Photoshop plus the ones I did for Joomla! We normally upload such templates after designing them so that bloggers can download them and use such templates to beautify their blogs and give their blogs a professional look and feel.” I clicked through the templates to show him some of the themes and also the coding behind.
I could see he was really impressed. “Do you get paid for doing such designs?”

“Sure! Why not! The only problem is that there are so many free templates online that bloggers and webmasters can use so that drives the prices of these themes so low. So unless you are an exceptionally gifted and artistically inclined person, chances are you might just have to settle for the little money that comes from selling template designs.” I concluded.

He nodded. “That’s good. That’s good.” He paused, and then he cleared his throat before he continued. “So Mr. Vincent, let’s come to the most interesting part of this whole exercise. So tell me, how much will you like us to pay you assuming we hire you now?”

This was really the most interesting and important part.

to be continued...
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by jaymomma(f): 8:10am On Sep 12, 2014
2scorehigh:

Thanks a lot jaymomma. Nice handle though. By the way, I hope your favorite website is not stumbleupon.com huh? tongue

grin
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by LeoFish92(m): 12:41pm On Sep 12, 2014
although I don't always use this to compliment people but 2scorehigh am beginning to see you as a ''genius''....

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 5:56pm On Sep 12, 2014
LeoFish92: although I don't always use this to compliment people but 2scorehigh am beginning to see you as a ''genius''....

Oh wow!

Now Leo listen...did you hear that...did you hear that loud sound just now?

That's the sound of my head as it got swollen and exploded under the impact of your powerful wordz...

Thanx a lot bro for that compliment!
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 6:04pm On Sep 12, 2014
In all negotiations, it is always good never to price oneself too low. But most job seekers do not know this. Of course, they don’t want to be seen as being too greedy. So they usually end up pricing themselves too low. What they don’t know is that in doing that, they might come across as a cheapie or as someone who doesn’t know their value or what they can offer. Also, one other thing that most people don’t know about negotiations is that it is always good for one to set the price—or rules, first. He has given me the opportunity to do so. And I’m not going to miss that.

“One million naira, sir,” I said. I smiled as I said it to show him I was joking although I knew I was subliminally telling him I want to be paid well.

Eyes wide-opened, he mellowed his voice and asked, “Per month or per annum, sir?” He was grinning widely too. He had a perfect set of teeth. He was very handsome and looked so young when he laughed.

“Per month will be very good, sir!” We both burst into a rapturous laughter. When we finally regained our breaths back, he wiped the tears from his eyes and then faced me again, this time, with all seriousness. His deep voice was also back.

“You see Mr. Vincent; trust me, inasmuch as I would have loved to be paying you that amount you mentioned, the truth is that we don’t have that type of money as of now but who knows, maybe, when you join us you will be able to give us the ideas that will make that happen because I wouldn’t mind to be collecting that amount myself too or don’t you think so?”

“You are the boss,” I said gallantly. He smiled before continuing.

“Good. Look at what is going to happen. I am open for ideas and I am glad you seem like someone who has truly got some ideas that can advance us. Like I always tell all my employees, you are here to make me rich but then if you spot any opportunity that will make you rich, feel free, you are welcome to bring it to our notice because you will duly be rewarded. I am so serious about this! So look Mr. Vincent, what is going to happen is that we will place you on a monthly salary of fifty thousand naira.” Oh my God! Did he just mention fifty thousand naira? Wow!

“I know that it might sound so small considering the fact that the rate of inflation in this country has driven the prices of virtually every commodity high but don’t feel disappointed because here at Delic, our salaries always appreciate. To cover the cost of your living which includes that of your transportation, we are in the process of making the arrangements to get you a place somewhere around here, maybe somewhere in Independence Layout which is very near to this place so that you won’t be travelling a far distance to come to work. I hope that will be okay by you?”

“Yes sir! Thank you so much!” I was fighting so hard to keep the excitement off my voice but I couldn’t. Fifty thousand naira! For a start! Every blessed month! Plus the house! God, I thank you!

“We expect you to put in your best. We don’t condone lateness to work. We don’t condone unserious attitude. We don’t condone irresponsibility here. We don’t condone any form of laziness. We don’t condone infighting. Here, we are all for one and one for all. Let me call the other staffers so that you can familiarize with them.”

He pressed a button on the table. Seconds later, the teenager entered.

“Lucy, go and call David and Ikenna for me. Call Mike too. I want to see all of you.”

“Okay sir.” She left.

Soon afterwards, two guys entered into the office with Lucy. Mr. George Okafor looked up and said, “Where is Ikenna?”

“He went on an errand, sir!” the bespectacled guy answered.

“Okay. Listen. This is Vincent. He is going to be a new member of our staff. Vincent, this is David, he is our most senior officer here.” He pointed at the tall bespectacled guy. I took a good look at him. He seemed like a very serious person. He looked very smart in the blue stripped white shirt and oxblood tie he was putting on.

“He is my eye here when I am not here. So you have to accord him that respect. This great guy you see here, although he’s quite good in Oracle database programming but he is basically our Java specialist so don’t be afraid when he starts calling you an object and start declaring classes for you or even calling a method on you because that’s what I always hear him say. Anyway, whether you like it or not, he is our instructor and coordinator and manager and director and de facto boss all rolled into one!” Mr. George announced.

I could see that made David smile. We all smiled with him.

The boss continued. “This other guy here with big head here is Mike. He talks a lot but then he knows his onions very well when it comes to anything copy and paste, and by that I mean, anything Microsoft Office tools.” We all laughed. I took a good look at Mike and I knew immediately I was going to like him, most especially when I know I talk a lot too. Birds of the same feather, huh?

“Ikenna is not here. He happens to be our Chief Networking Officer because he’s always talking about Cisco networking this, Cisco networking that. He also doubles as our chief marketing officer because he’s always talking about networking and I think that serves him right because in my own layman’s understanding, networking simply means marketing.

“Oh, how I wish he will just be doing more marketing than networking, we would have been richer than Dangote by now. Anyway, you will still meet him. And when you do, please don’t fail to ask him, on my behalf, as a network administrator he always claims he is; what exactly is he administering, okay?” He suddenly burst into a languorous laughter. It was quite comical seeing him laughing at himself in that manner so we all joined him.

He wiped his eyes and continued. “And finally, this is Lucy. I believe you’ve already met her. She is our receptionist. She also runs a lot of errands around here. As you can see, she is very young and pretty too. She is also very clever and intelligent.” He lowered his voice and his bulky frame towards me and said to me in form of a whisper, “Don’t tell her I said so but she can be very stubborn, I mean very very stubborn at times so don’t ever mess with her!”

Another round of laughter. I knew I was going to like it here. I looked at Lucy. This time I smiled at her as our eyes met. She quickly shifted hers away but I got some message in that brief moment that our eyes locked.

“So guys, this is Vin—cent. He is going to be our PHP expert. To tell you the truth, I don’t even know what PHP stands for and I didn’t even bother to ask him but I am sure it must be something funny and to tell you the truth, I am already afraid of being stored away like a prisoner inside err… um… my… um… sorry, what did you call it again, the database…?”

“MySQL— my-ess-que-el database, sir.” I spelt it out for him.

“Yes! My ess-que whatever! Wow! So this is our little staff here. As you can see, we are just a one happy little family here. Treat each other with respect, okay? Alright, fine. Cultivate a friendly environment where peace reigns because peace brings about progressiveness and progressiveness means we all rise together, am I right?”

“You are right sir,” we all chorused.

“Okay, now Vincent, go ahead… familiarize… greet them… show them some love!”

I smiled. I stood up and firmly shook hands with the guys first. When I took Lucy’s hand, I noticed her palm was very soft. I also noticed she quickly withdrew her hand before I could squeeze it. What’s up with this young girl?

“So Vincent, with time, you will still get to meet our other staff members because we have another branch not so far from here where we deliver general services like typing, spiral binding, typesetting, printing and photocopying but these guys are the ones that stay here in this block.

“Also, there is a formality we normally keep whenever we hire a new staff. We are going to be placing you on a one-month probation period. In other words, you are going to be like our temporary staff for something like a month or thereabout. After that, depending on the report I get from the other staffers; and yes, from David specifically, then we will know whether to confirm your appointment or not.

“So you see, I don’t need to remind you that you have to be very up and doing. You have to impress them because they are the ones you are going to be working with. I don’t need to tell you what will happen to you if they don’t like you, do I? Good. I’m heading back to my base in Lagos, latest by tomorrow morning. I expect you will be starting tomorrow morning, right…?”

I nodded.

“Anyway, I don’t need to remind you again that here we maintain a zero tolerance to lateness. I think I’ve mentioned that before…? Alright! That will be that. Congratulations, Mr. Vincent Dike. Welcome to the team. People, what do we say to him?” He stood up again and shook my hands.

“Congratulations!” they all chorused.

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Nobody: 7:45pm On Sep 12, 2014
Hmmm at last. I hope vince's quest for girls won't spoil show 4 him at his new workin place this one he has taken notice of Lucy. I wonder d kind of message dat poor girl's eyes gave him.
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by jaymomma(f): 8:12pm On Sep 12, 2014
Lucy's already feeling tingly? Let the games begin

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by anasbeaut(f): 9:57pm On Sep 12, 2014
Y do I ve a feeling Lucy is related to Vincent boss
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 10:04pm On Sep 12, 2014
“Alright. Please, Mike you have to show him around the offices and you, David, I expect you to further explain to him the way things work here, okay? You can now go.”

“Thank you.” I said with a palpitating heart full of joy. I was also close to tears. The job search is finally over? Great! I couldn’t believe myself. My only thought was Ify. Ify must hear this. She said it, I didn’t believe her.

Afterwards, Mike took me around and showed me the place where classes are being held for our students. Then I finally took my leave.
I took my phone and dialed Ify. She answered on the second ring.

“Ify, thank God o! It has happened o!” I joyfully mouthed into the mouthpiece.

“Vince, what has finally happened? You are confusing me!”

“Ify, guess what?”

“What?”

“Guess now!”

“Vince, you know I’m not good at guessing? Please, tell me what happened? Why are you sounding so excited?”

“Ify, I think I have finally gotten a job! A job with an ICT firm!”

“Oh wow!”

“And guess what?!”

“What?!”

“It’s right here in Enugu!”

“Wow Vincent! You don’t mean it! Tell me something! Wait a minute, I told you, didn’t I? I told you it was going to happen!”

“You did, my dear, you did!”

“I knew it! I knew you could do it!”

“Ify please I want you to come over. We are going to celebrate it in a very big way. We are going out tonight. I am taking you out tonight. Name any place of your choice.”

“Vince…?”

“Yes, my dear?”

“Baby, I’m so happy for you. Truly, our God is good!”

“All the time, my dear, all the time!”

“Okay… I will be coming over very soon.” She dropped the call.

I was feeling so elated. Just like that and I got a job? Wonders shall never end!

Anyway, that’s why I love computer jobs. There are no official bureaucracies. There are no elaborate CVs and cover-up letter to write. There are no referees to contact. And yes, there are no ridiculous requirements for fresh graduates who are not more than 26 years of age.

Similarly, there are no insulting notices for interested candidates with 10-years work experience only. Just like there are no emphases on interested candidates to have first class or second class upper in their first degree.

The thing I like in computer line is that nobody is all that interested in whether you have gone for NYSC or not. In fact, to some extent, nobody is actually interested in whether you have gone to any university or polytechnic which invariably means that no one is all that interested in whether you have a university degree or a Diploma certificate.

It is an open field and everything is direct and practical. Emphasis is on what you can deliver! All that is required is your ability to get the job done. And to get the job done, that means you must possess the right skills. And the only way to show you possess such skills is by showing it after all skills are nothing but just applied knowledge. Skills, skills, skills, computers are all about skills because that is what matters the most!

When I finally neared my compound, I stopped over Mama Eloka’s restaurant to eat some food because I suddenly discovered I was feeling so famished. I ordered for a plate of cassava fufu and bitter leaf soup with goat meat. After I was through with the meal, I washed everything down with one bottle of chilled Star lager beer.

I then started walking towards my compound. I was feeling very happy. The day has finally turned out so bright, in fact, brighter than I could have ever imagined.

I was also feeling exhausted from the whole excitement. After taking my bath, I felt I needed to relax so I slotted in Heroes Season Two to watch it on my DVD while I tried to relax and see if I could also catch some sleep. I was feeling like a hero too.

I didn’t even know when I slept off. I was only awakened by the steady knock that came from my door.

“Come inside. The door is open.”

Ify pushed the door open and walked inside. Immediately I saw her, a charged message telegraphed straight and fast from my brain and down to my trousers like electric current. I was completely rejuvenated now.

She was dressed to kill. The green blouse she wore really accentuated her ample bosom just like her tight skirt did to her curvy hips and rounded derrière. She was looking so charming and lively. I also liked the scent of her perfume and the way she did her hair. She quickly read the lustful message in my eyes and smiled. I guess she must have also sensed I was already losing control so fast.

“Please, allow me to say congratulations first before you start trying whatever thing you have in your mind.”

“OK. Congratulations accepted,” I said as I grabbed her and gave her a very big bear hug followed with a very long wet kiss. We stayed like that glued together for a while then she gently tried to push me away. Finally, I reluctantly disengaged.

She looked deeply into my eyes and said in a very tiny voice, “Are you sure we are still going out tonight?”

“To tell you the truth madam, I think the party has just begun!”

I moved in on her once again. She was smiling as I started to unbutton her blouse. Whoever said today was not a very good day?

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 10:22pm On Sep 12, 2014
getafe: Hmmm at last. I hope vince's quest for girls won't spoil show 4 him at his new workin place this one he has taken notice of Lucy. I wonder d kind of message dat poor girl's eyes gave him.

Ha ha haa...

Don't worry. I'm sure Vince is a gentleman...
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by LeoFish92(m): 11:55pm On Sep 12, 2014
2scorehigh:

Oh wow!

Now Leo listen...did you hear that...did you hear that loud sound just now?

That's the sound of my head as it got swollen and exploded under the impact of your powerful wordz...

Thanx a lot bro for that compliment!

OMG....your head exploded! *pops mouth open with a horrified look*...did I just commit murder? shouldn't have dropped those exhilarating compliments...*runs to sambisa forest for solace*
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 9:02am On Sep 13, 2014
LeoFish92:

OMG....your head exploded! *pops mouth open with a horrified look*...did I just commit murder? shouldn't have dropped those exhilarating compliments...*runs to sambisa forest for solace*

Sambisa?! Ha ha haa...na wa o! No one says you should commit suicide o, abeg! shocked
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 9:08am On Sep 13, 2014
CHAPTER 13

I turned up for the work the next morning very early. The outing I had with Ify last night didn’t deter me. I knew they were going to be looking out for that one and I didn’t want to be caught napping. Lucy greeted me.

“Good morning, Lucy,” I greeted her back. I noticed she was now more open to me.

“How are you doing this morning?”

“I am fine sir.”

“Good. Where is David? And the rest…?” I asked her.

“David is in his office. The others are not yet here.”

“Okay. Let me go and see him.”

“First door by your left.”

“Okay.”

I knocked and walked into David’s office. It turns out David’s office was the same office where I was interviewed yesterday. I now realized what the boss meant when he said David was the boss—okay, de facto boss.

He stood up and stretched his hands towards me. I took it and shook it firmly. He then offered me a seat. I looked closely at him as he settled into the comfortable swivel chair. His glasses made him look very sharp and intelligent. He couldn’t be older than me but I became even more convinced he took life so serious.

We exchanged pleasantries. He then started briefing me on the procedures of how things work in the place. I noticed immediately that David was not the talking type. Looks like he’s more of the very reserved type. And a little bit dictatorial too…

Well, I was still reveling in the newness of this whole new experience so I didn’t give so much thought to all his directives and the manner of his issuance of orders.

He told me my job requirements. He gave me the guidelines on how I am supposed to prepare my classes for our students. He informed me about the brainstorming session that normally holds every Friday at two-week intervals where we discuss our challenges to see if there was a new way we can do things so as to become more efficient and productive. According to him, new ideas and current trends, and mapping out strategies are usually the main focus of such brainstorming sessions. I liked that. It will sure enough keep someone on his toes.

He informed me that sometimes our Lagos branch will occasionally require our input whenever they have so many jobs on their hands and so I should be prepared to work overtime at such times.

He also warned me that our classes can sometimes become intimidating most especially during holidays when a large influx of students who want to become computer literate usually flood to us. He also told me that we sometimes accept IT students who come for their Industrial Training at Delic Solutions.

I listened all the way as he talked. The overtime was not going to be a problem for me because I know that one of the good things about computers is that you can always take your job to your home—to anywhere—and to everywhere, assuming that job could also be done on the internet as well.

We were interrupted by the entrance of Ikenna and Mike. They greeted David warmly before turning to greet me. I could easily see they respected him so much.

I shook hands with Mike, and then with Ikenna. Ikenna had a burly physique and a fierce looking face. He seemed very fit and agile. I guessed he would have made a better profession in boxing. The top button of his burnt orange shirt was not fastened thus revealing his hairy chest.

I smiled at him and put forward my hand. He smiled back and firmly grabbed my hand for a handshake. He said he was so pleased that I have joined them. He wished me luck and told me he really hopes I will enjoy my stay with them. He told me it was a pleasure meeting me. I thanked him and told him the feeling is mutual.

David then directed Mike to take me to my office and I thanked him as we took our leave. Mike then took me to the office at the very far end of the passage. I was glad the office was located at the far end.

I entered the office and as I surveyed it, Mike took his leave but not before telling me that the office was newly renovated when the boss decided they were going to hire a new hand when David made the suggestion. I thanked him for his hospitality.

I moved to the big desk and pulled the seat behind it. It wasn’t a swivel chair like I would have wished but it still looked comfortable and well padded. The smell of fresh paint filled my olfactory. Well, well, well, this is it, I told myself.

I sat down on the well padded leather seat and tried to make myself comfortable and give some thoughts the events that were fast unfolding before my very eyes. It was still like a dream. I remembered the words of Eminem in the chorus of the song in his Relapse album where he said ‘be careful what you wish for ‘cause you might just get it… ’.

It looks like I finally got what I wished for. Not exactly but still an approximate – in a way, though. During those days I used to fantasize about being a big shot in a very big construction firm, I knew I wanted a spacious office with the latest state-of-the-art electronic gadgets. This one wasn’t that spacious but it was still cozy enough and very much okay. Apart from the desktop computer that was occupying a large space on the desk, there were no other electronic gadgets in the room for me to play with.

Again, I had always dreamed of a cute, cürvy and very pretty PA in tight mïnïskïrts whose sight alone is guaranteed to keep my heart pumping blood. The nearest I got is a slender teenager instead. I didn’t get the Mercedes Benz—or anything near—or even anything instead, but I was still happy. The most important thing is that I’ve got a regular job now. That is the irony of life. Sometimes, all you have to do to be happy is to settle and compromise and be grateful for what you already have.

I decided I was going to make the best of my opportunity here. I resolved I will put in my very best. Luckily for me, the boss had already said they encouraged innovation and independence — two things I love so much. I started arranging the office and positioning the furniture just the way I wanted it to be.

I was still arranging it when Lucy came in. She stood by the door and watched me. I smiled at her when our eyes met. She politely asked me if I needed help. I told her I could handle it. She told me that David wanted to see me. I told her to tell him I will be with him in a moment.

When I went to see David, he told me he had drafted the timetable for me after modifying the already existing schedule they already had. He told me they were also going to announce the PHP package to their students who had been clamoring for it so I should be ready to start my class soonest. I told him I was ready.

I went back to my office with the schedule David gave me and settled down to revise and strategize on how my class was going to be structured. Although they didn’t tell me but I knew they were also going to judge me from the way my students will perceive and receive me so that means I will have to make a very good first impression there too.

I knew that one of the easiest ways to make any tutorial class lively is by using practical and real life examples to explain certain terms to the students because that will make them to understand the concepts easily and faster and if that happens in my class, they will become interested and they will attribute their high level of interest to who else but me. Great!

I tried to familiarize myself with my colleagues. Apart from Mike, who was very easy to talk to, and Lucy, who I guess, must have detected my playful nature and was only waiting for the right time to come out with full force play with me, the rest still saw me as a stranger. I didn’t like their excessive politeness towards me. It made me very uncomfortable but I knew we were still getting to know each other and it was only a matter of time.

The day passed slowly. At some point I was summoned to be introduced to some of the students who were interested in learning web database application. While David stood aside and watched, I introduced myself to the students. I told them I was looking forward to having an exciting learning time with them. I encouraged them to always feel free to ask me questions. I told them that in my class, there are no dumb questions. They seem to like that. I could sense their anticipation.

Finally, it was time to go. I bid everybody goodbye and left to take a bus home. I was contemplating on whether to tell some of my friends about my new lucky job or not. Or maybe I should wait after the one-month probation? I decided it’s better I tell them now, anyway.

On my way back, I called Uche on the phone to break the news to him. Unsurprisingly, he was very exhilarated. He started asking me a lot of questions at once. I told him I couldn’t break it all down for him while we are on the phone. He told me he was coming down to Coal Camp to be with me so that I would buy him his favorite suya and Stout as a way of celebrating this wonderful work of God. I told him I was waiting for him.

I called Eze. Surprisingly, he sounded so happy for me too. He told me to come over to his place so that he can surprise me. I asked him what he had in mind. He told me that is why it’s called a surprise. The way he said, I knew he was planning something big. This Eze could be surprising sometimes. How could he be happy I got a job now when he didn’t even do as much as lift a finger all these years to hook me up in his father’s firm where I was so sure the pay would have been bigger—and juicier?

to be continued...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Nobody: 10:52am On Sep 13, 2014
Happy 4 vince...interesting story
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 5:15pm On Sep 13, 2014
When I reached my place, I was so shocked and surprised to see Ify waiting—for me. There was something about her demeanor and the lonely figure she cut as she sat all by herself that immediately sent some shivers down my spine. How long has she been waiting like this? I moved closer to her and she stood up so that we can hug.

“Ify, how long have you been waiting?”

“Hmm! Thank God he’s back!” She smiled as she looked deeply into my eyes. “I was beginning to wonder if you were never going to come back today.”

“So how long have you been waiting?” I asked her again. “And why didn’t you call me to tell me you were around?” There goes that look again! Jesus!

“Well, I wanted to surprise you on your first day. Look, here, I brought some food for you too, your favorite. Are you not going to open the door?” I could see she was very excited.

“So how long have you been waiting?” I asked her again as I fumbled in my pockets for my keys and opened the door. There was a little raspy note in my voice.

“Hmm… what’s your own—problem? Okay, if you must know, I have been waiting for…,” she looked at watch, “… for close to one hour forty-five minutes of thereabout. You know you didn’t exactly tell me when you guys normally close for work?”

One hour forty-five minutes! Or thereabout! Shït!

We entered my room and as I pulled the window blinds open, I said, “That’s true. We don’t normally have that kind of fixed schedule. In fact, one thing I like about the new job is that when you are through with your day’s work, you can just start going if you so wish.”

“Vince…?”

“Yes?”

“Are you okay? You seem so lost… and worried. Anything I should know?”

I looked at her. She must have sensed my discomfort, I guess, probably from the stiffness in my voice.

“I’m alright,” I said.

“Are you sure? Or is the work pressure already getting at you?”

“I said I’m okay.”

“Okay, if you say so. Look, your favorite meal. Rice and beans with stew, fish and plantain. Take off your shirt, let’s eat. I want to hear the details of your first day.”

I got rid of my tie, removed my shirt but I left the singlet, then I loosened my belt around my waist as I watched her dish the food from the food flask into the plate. She brought out a chilled bottle of water and two tumblers from the fridge and placed them on the rugged floor.

“Come and eat, my sweet man! Or should I feed you?” She smiled as she handed me a spoon. I went to her. Soon we start devouring the food.
“So tell me, what really happened today at the office!”

“Well, nothing much. It’s just the regular routine. They showed me my work schedule and duties. I was also introduced to some of my students.”
“Vince, are you happy? Do you think you will like it there?” It was more of a plea than a question.

“Of course! Why not? But… wait… why do you ask?” We had finished eating by now.

“I don’t know why but I’m getting the feeling that you are not happy and I don’t know what could be troubling you. Frankly speaking, I don’t know why but I don’t like the feeling I’m getting now. You were sounding so happy yesterday but now, I don’t know, I just don’t know…” she trailed off.

“There is nothing to worry about because everything is okay,” I said to her in a stifled voice.

She paused for a while to search my face then she said, “Is it the pay? Do you think it is too small for you?”

She was giving me that same look again. I gave a guttural laugh and said, “The pay is not a problem. It is very okay. Did I tell you that the man even said he will be increasing the salary at intervals as time goes on? He’s such a good man! I think I like him already.”

“That’s good.” She didn’t sound convinced. She was reading my body language just like I was reading hers. Women are so good in that. I was confused. I was scared. I was troubled because I didn’t see it coming. It has happened so many times in the past. I knew it was about to happen again.

I tried to brush off my sudden panic off with a joke so I said, “Besides, the pay doesn’t even matter. In fact, if I ever find out that big man is more interested in using us his workers and we are being underpaid, I won’t even hesitate to steal all his money and run away with it and trust me, I won’t even look back!”

I put a lot of emphasis on all. Ify looked searchingly into my face for a while and then she caught the joke and broke into a nervy smile. Shit! Her smiles and dimples always made her look angelic.

“Vince…?”

“Yes, Ify…?”

“Will you like it if I paid you visit in your office just to keep you company? Maybe, you know, something like a surprise visit… I know you like surprises, huh?”

“Why? Sure!”

She gave me that look again and then she smiled cheerfully and said, “Vince, I love you so much. Baby, I don’t know why I love you so much.” Fück. I knew it! I knew it all along. I knew she was going to say that.

I sluggishly stood up and stretched out my hands at her to pull her up. She took them and walked into me and we embraced. I closed my eyes and held her there as I regretfully drank in her sweet smell. If only she could read my mind now.

Later, after she had washed the dishes and food flask, she said she would be running along. I thanked her and then I told her that I don’t know if I should await Uche, who said he was coming over or whether I should start going to Eze’s place for him to join us there because Eze said he has something special for me and when Eze says something like that, you never can tell what is going to happen.

She didn’t object nor suggest anything. She just told me to be careful. I escorted her as she left.

As she was about to enter the bus, she turned around, looked deeply into my eyes and said to me, “Vince, promise me you will be happy.”

“I promise.”

It was a lie. She didn’t know it but something has just changed between us—something that was certainly going to threaten the joy and happiness we have always enjoyed.

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by jaymomma(f): 6:34pm On Sep 13, 2014
Hian! Vince, no use Ify do play play o! Is it a crime to confess what u feel?
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Nobody: 8:03pm On Sep 13, 2014
I guess something is terribly wrong with this Vince of a guy. He needs serious deliverance. Anyway, lets watch and see.

2 Likes

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 10:44pm On Sep 13, 2014
CHAPTER 14

“Ify won’t you get us something to eat?” I was in a very celebratory mood. She wasn’t. She didn’t move an inch. Obviously, she was in a very sulky mood.

I looked at her again and said, “Now be a good girl. Go and check the fridge and see if you can get us something from there!”

She sighed and reluctantly stood up from the bed. As she moved towards the fridge she hissed and said, “I guess, that’s the only thing I’m needed for…”

It was supposed to be a mutter but I heard it quite alright.

“Excuse me? What did you just say?” I raised my voice at her.

“Nothing,” she said offhandedly. She hissed again.

“You said something just now and I know you know I heard it?”

“You can hear whatever you want to hear,” she retorted back.

“Ify, please, not again this evening. Please don’t get me started. You have been like this since the past thirty or so minutes you came here but I only chose to ignore because I am not ready for that.” I told her angrily.

She went back to the bed and sat down. She was looking at me fiercely.

“So why then did you come when I asked you to knowing that you are going to be acting in this very childish way?”

“You are the one that is acting very foolish—and so stupid!” she retorted back.

“You know I won’t take that from you? I don’t want to lose my temper!”

She snorted. “I don’t care!” she said fierily.

“Alright. In that case, I think it’s better you start going. Because I cannot put up with your stress this evening and I won’t allow you to spoil my fun.”

Silence. None of us said anything to each other but the tension in the air still remained.

She finally broke the silence. “Vince, what is happening to us? So you now see me as stress, right? Vince, it’s not fair. Please tell me, what has come over you?” Her voice was very low and teary. No… no… no… not now...not again.

“How many times are you going to ask me that?” I reacted angrily. I could detect she was very close to tears and I felt a sharp stab of pain slice through my heart.

“Vince, please tell me, what did I do? What wrong thing have I done to you that you are treating me this way? I want you to tell me what it is. That’s why I came. Please I’m begging you to tell me now, I want you to tell me face-to-face where I have erred, please… just tell me. I’m ready to make amends…” She sniffed.

I was completely lost for words. I couldn’t face her. I directed my gaze to the floor. She waited for me to speak. I didn’t say anything. The silence passed.

“I don’t understand you anymore. I keep on wondering what could be the problem and why you suddenly changed.” She began to sob. I couldn’t stand that.

“Now if you must say something, I think you should first stop crying. You know I don’t like that. If someone comes in here right now and sees you crying like this, they will think I am beating you. I keep on telling you nothing is wrong and I just don’t know why you can’t accept that!” I raised my voice at her as I spoke.

“Then why have you been avoiding me… if nothing is wrong?”

She got me there. For the past five weeks I have been seriously avoiding her like a plague. How can I start explaining everything to her?

“Vince, why did you suddenly change? I thought we had a connection but now, it’s like you are a new person—a complete stranger—and I don’t know you again. Then you called me today and said you wanted to show me something and I can’t understand why or how you are now acting as if nothing was ever wrong between us! To tell you the truth, I don’t seem to follow again. I am so confused. And it’s killing me…”

She started to sob again.

Obviously, she wasn’t going to let me be. She moved closer to me and wrapped her arms around me. Her head was resting on my chest as she sobbed. I knew I was supposed to put my hands around her and console her but I didn’t.

“Please, Ify stop crying and hear me out.”

She wiped her tears and faced me.

“You know I have been so busy these days? I told you the pressure of the work has gotten into me so much...”

She raised her head to look at me. “Vince, why are you lying… again?”

“That’s it! That’s your problem! You’ll never believe me!” I sparked. “You asked for an explanation. Now I’m trying to give it to you. And you are accusing me and calling me a liar!”

“You are avoiding me. Admit it. You know that’s what you are doing. Just admit it.”

I kept quiet. She was right.

“I knew it,” she continued. “What I don’t know is why you are doing it.”

“My work has…”

“Stop mentioning your work and using that as an excuse, please, please, please, I’m begging you in the name of God, stop! Do you think I am a fool? Tell me, how long will it take you to send me a simple text message? Not to even mention giving me a call. I know it. I know you just want me to go but you don’t know how to say it!” she lambasted me.

“Now hold it there…!”

“I know you. I know what you men are capable of doing. You have had your fill and now you want to move on to your next conquest, am I lying?”

“You don’t know what you are saying? Jesus! What has come over you?!”

“Oh, there he goes again! I should be the one asking you that! And please, don’t give me that you-don’t-know-what-you-are-saying-rubbish again!”

“Ify, please try to keep your voice down! Unless you want me to leave this room for you right now?”

“Vincent, you are not going anywhere until you tell me why you suddenly decided I’m not good for you anymore! At least, you owe me that explanation! I am here so that we can thrash out whatever the problem is because I can’t take it any more!” she charged at me, defiantly. Women! Why can’t they just understand that loving someone is not by force?

“Why do you want to cause a scene? I told you I have been so busy at the office. I have been under a lot of pressure recently. I told you I have to keep up because I am under some kind of probation period. I don’t know why you just don’t want to accept that!”

“Vince, it’s a lie and you know it!”

“Okay, since you know the truth, why don’t you tell us?” I tried to counter.

“Okay Vince, how long will it take you to reply me on WhatsApp? You don’t want to call me again. When I call, you sound as if I’m disturbing you? When I ask you what the problem is, you tell me it’s nothing. Seriously speaking, I am so confused because I can’t seem to understand where I have gone wrong. That’s what worries me the most! You suddenly changed and that is what is affecting me so badly. Okay, when was the last time you replied any of my messages? Even the ones I sent you on Facebook? Or are you going to say you didn’t see those ones too because of your busy schedule?”

She was right. I have purposely refused to reply any of her messages. I have also kept the number of calls between us to the barest minimum. I decided to go on the counter offensive.

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Nobody: 11:19pm On Sep 13, 2014
Dat serves Ify right. That's what she gets 4 opening her legs 4 a guy dat has not taken her 2 d alter more especially sex meniac like Vincent.

2 Likes

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 8:50am On Sep 14, 2014
“So your problem is just that I don’t reply your messages anymore, huh?” I asked her, derisively.

“Yes, yes, that’s just part of my problem. Vince, how can you just ignore me just like that? It’s not fair! Anytime I am around you, you just seem to clam up. I don’t know what the problem is neither do I know where it is coming from. Is it me? Something I’ve done? Or said? Something I didn’t do well? Or something you heard about me? I just don’t know! Vince, please, tell me right now because I am losing my sanity!”

“Okay, you want to hear it?”

“Yes.”

Shït!

“I think I need my space.”

“I see.” She nodded her head.

I was referring to the fact that she had requested for my keys and I had bluntly refused to give them to her. She must have also figured out that I was purposely staying away from my house for quite sometime now just to avoid her.

She had subtly suggested that giving her my keys would be a very wise thing for me to do so that she wouldn’t be waiting outside for me anytime she comes like she did on my first day at work. She had done that four times and I have always rescinded her request. She even tried to cajole me by insinuating that I had something to hide but I didn’t budge.

“Vince?”

“Yes?”

“Who’s the girl?” she asked me in a very low tone. She caught me there but I quickly tried to deflect it.

“What girl? What are you talking about?”

“I want to know who the girl is. Tell me, who is this girl that is trying to come between us? Is it that small girl I saw you playing and chatting with the other day at the office?”

She was referring to Lucy. She had come to the office one day and saw me joking chatting with Lucy in a very friendly manner. Lucy had taken to me so quickly. We were now best of pals at the office. She liked the way I was always teasing her and calling her baby. I guess she also liked that I was always telling her all sorts of stories.

Just two weeks at the office and I was already calling her Stubborn Baby Lucifer. Whenever I called her that, depending on which one came easier for her, she would then make a face at me, or hit out at me, or call me Scarface which was a remark made in reference to the scar I had just above my right eye.

On that very day Ify came to the office; I was telling Lucy a story about a man who was dating a girl. Both of them have never seen each other although it appeared they have fallen in love with each other. On the day they finally agreed to meet, the lady had agreed that as a sign of love, she was going to hold a flower for the man to easily identify her. To the man’s greatest shock, the lady of his dreams turns out to be a very old and completely unattractive woman.

He was clearly disappointed but he still accepted the flower from her all the same. Just then a very pretty young lady materialized from her hiding spot and told the man that she has been watching him from afar to see how he would react and if he had rejected the flowers from the old lady, she would have simply left because she would know that he did not truly love her and hence does not deserve her.

Lucy liked the story and she reacted happily to it. Ify must have seen the happiness on her face and subsequently read some deeper meaning into it. That night I didn’t sleep because Ify wouldn’t let me be. Ify kept on asking me, though subtly, who Lucy was, where she came from, how old she was, if I think she was a nice girl, if she had a boyfriend, the type of person she was, her academic level, and what type of things she does for us in the office.

I feigned complete ignorance of what she was trying to insinuate and answered all her questions squarely and diligently. I could sense she didn’t feel that satisfied although she didn’t ask the real question I knew she wanted to but couldn’t ask.

At last, when I couldn’t bear her prying questions anymore and she asked me if I thought the teenage girl was attractive, I flared up and told her then to drop it because there was nothing going on between the teenage girl and me. Apparently, she didn’t.

“Jesus! Has it come to that point? You’ve got to be kidding me!” I screamed at her.

“You’ve not answered my question!” she retorted back.

“Ify, please you need to get a grip on yourself. Seriously! To think that you will even suspect that something is going on between me and the poor girl…”

“Okay, so if it’s not her then who is the girl that is trying to come between us because I know it has to be a girl?”

“There’s no girl. Why is that so hard for you to believe? The only thing I can see that is coming between us is your jealousy. And I have told you severally that I don’t like that. Just look at what you are saying? It means that you don’t trust me at all!”

“Vince, please stop! Okay? I say stop! You think I don’t know what you are trying to do? You are trying to play yourself off as the victim now, right?”

“Your ranting will get us nowhere, I hope you know that?!” I fired back.

I could see the fire in her eyes. I returned with my own fire. We engaged in a who-will-blink-first war. She finally succumbed.

“Okay, Vince, just tell me what it is. I know I can handle it. What have I done?”

“I told you I need my space. That’s all.”

“Does that mean you don’t want me anymore?”

“I didn’t say that.”

“Vince, why have you chosen to do this to me, to us, now? Please my love, reconsider. Whatever it is that I have done, please, I am asking you now for forgiveness, please, please…” There she goes again. My love! Fück!

“Oh, spare me, please!”

“Vince, I guess, you don’t know how it feels, do you? You don’t know how it feels to be completely neglected by someone you love so much? Do you know what you have done to my confidence? Do you have any idea how you have completely eroded my self-esteem? I guess you don’t. We had so much fun together. We spent so much good time together. Then all of a sudden you changed. You suddenly changed. You started becoming so distant. You started giving me the impression that I am not needed anymore. Why? Just tell me why?”

“I told you my job is so important to me now!”

“Vince, how do you want me to believe that the job changed you like this? No, it’s not possible. There must be someone or something else because people don’t change like that. I know you were not like this before you got that job. What happened? Baby please tell me now. If I’m the problem, I promise to make amends starting from now.”

She started to sob again. Oh shït!

I moved farther away from her. “You don’t have to make any promises. And please, quit being pathetic and stop crying, okay? I’ve told you what the problem is. I don’t know what else you want me to say.”

“Vince, please how am I in your space? You have to understand me. I just want to be with you. Is that asking for too much?”

Yes, it is. I kept quiet. Apart from the low moans of her sobbing, it was absolute silence. She wiped her eyes. Then she tried to move closer to me. I moved further away.

“You see what I am saying? All of a sudden I am now so repulsive to you. No wonder, you don’t even want to make love to me anymore!”
“Now, I told you, get a grip on yourself!” I raised my voice at her.

“Vince, why is it hard for you to say?”

“Hard for me to say what? What exactly are you talking about?”

“Why is it so hard for you to say that you don’t want me anymore?”

I looked at her. I had no answers for I was completely lost for words. I was in a great tumult.

“Vince?”

I didn’t answer. I kept my stare fixed on the floor. She called me three more times.

“Ohhh… what is it?” I kvetched.

“Vince, please look at me. I want to ask you something.”

I managed to turn around to look at her.

“Vince, do you love me?”

No response.

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Abuklaw(m): 11:11am On Sep 14, 2014
Still following.... I feel for IFY. But why should women think opening their leg for a man would make him love them more?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

"The Place Of Rest" -Wasimi Chronicles / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Shadows Of The Green Part Two

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 203
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.