Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 (41501 Views)

The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) / "....and The Violent Take It By Force? / The Violent Take It By Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by damilarelr(m): 1:20pm On Aug 24, 2014
'...the kingdom of God suffereth violence; and the violent taketh it by force'! (Matthew 11:12)

Some believers understand the above verse to mean that a believer has to pray and fast VIOLENTLY in other to overcome the evil powers disturbing their lives!

Some even think it is about shouting at God to release blessings on them!

Now listen carefully: the VIOLENCE referred to in the above verse has nothing to do with shouting or shaking or attending violent prayer meetings or engaging in several days of fasting, etc!

Not at all!

When you take a verse of scripture out of its context, you end up allowing yourself to be deceived!

The VIOLENCE referred to in that verse refers to a quick and serious shift from LAW to GRACE!!!

The verse actually reads thus:

'And from the DAYS OF JOHN THE BAPTIST UNTIL NOW...hmm...the KINGDOM OF HEAVEN suffereth violence,...and the VIOLENT take it by force'! (Matt 11:12 emphasis mine)

Wow!

This verse is one of the sweetest verses on GRACE!!!

Matthew 11 is a chapter about John the Baptist sending his disciples to Jesus to question if Jesus is truly the Messiah!

But Jesus gave John's disciple a very intelligent answer and began to make some interesting comments about John!

In vs 13 (which is the next verse), Jesus said:

'For all the prophets and the LAW prophesied until John'! (Matt 11:13)

This is what Jesus was saying:

John is the last prophet of the Law! The proclamation of the Law ended with John! Anybody who got a miracle @ the time of John, was supposed to ONLY get it by fulfilling the LAW of the Old Testament!

After the Law comes GRACE (which Jesus described as the Kingdom of God)!

But the dispensation of Grace had not begun yet because Jesus had not yet died!

Now Jesus said:...'From the days of John the Baptist until NOW....the kingdom of Heaven (Grace dispensation)...suffereth violence....' (Matt 11:12)

Wow!

Did you get that?

Jesus was saying that...in between the time that John lived and the time that He would die on the cross....GRACE is NOT supposed to be manifested yet!!!

But the wise people of that time did not wait for Jesus to die before they started receiving healing and blessings from God by operating the covenant of GRACE which does not judge them by their works!!!

(I really hope you get this)!

That is what Jesus meant by the VIOLENT taketh it by force!

That is, people under Law ....saw Jesus....and recognized that He was not a Prophet of the Law....so they PRESSED into the FREE and UNMERITED favour which He carried and got their blessings totally FREE even though Jesus had not yet died to end the Law!!! (Romans 10:4)

Let me show you some examples:

1) When Jesus told a 'gentile' woman who needed healing for her child that He cannot give the children's bread to the dog....(Matt 15:26)...He was actually saying....Supernatural Healing is not meant for a 'non-Jew' as at that time because He hadn't died yet!

In fact, it was in this context that Jesus affirmed that before His death, He was sent only to the 'lost sheep of Israel'! (Matt 15:24)

But this woman was not an Israelite and she wanted Jesus to perform a miracle on her child!

This was why when Jesus healed her daughter, He said to her:

'O woman, GREAT IS THY FAITH! (Matt 15:27)

Wow!

This woman VIOLENTLY entered into GRACE when it wasn't time for GRACE to manifest yet!

Are you getting the picture now?

2) Another example was that under the Law, it is a 'SIN' for a woman with the 'issue of blood' to come into the midst of people! (Lev 15:25-27)

But the Bible says when the woman with the issue of blood 'heard of Jesus'....she PRESSED INTO THE CROWD...ah!....and touched the hem of Jesus' garment! (Mark 5:27)

Wow!

She broke the LAW...when she 'heard of Jesus'!

Can you see how the kingdom of Heaven suffered violence!!!

The Law was still in full force because Jesus had not yet died...but she broke the Law of Moses in order to partake of GRACE!!!

Hmm....what did she hear about Jesus?

(If you wanna know, then don't miss the upcoming GOSPEL OF GRACE CONFERENCE 2014 season 3)! -- PM for details.

Wow!

Can you now see what Jesus meant by '....From the days of JOHN the Baptist until now....the KINGDOM OF HEAVEN suffereth violence...and the violent taketh it by force'!

That is, the 'violent could not wait for Jesus to die before they started pressing into the realities of the kingdom of God (GRACE)!

Now to make it brief and help you understand what Jesus was really saying about John the Baptist, which led to the statement about the violent taking it by force, let's just check out the parallel verse which is found in the book of Luke.

Now follow carefully:

'The LAW and the PROPHETS (hmm...) Were until JOHN:....SINCE THAT TIME...the KINGDOM OF GOD (Grace) is preached....and EVERY MAN PRESSETH INTO IT (i.e the violent taketh it by force)! (Luke 16:16 emphasis mine)

Wow!!!

Do you now understand?

Listen: The violent taketh it by force does not mean....'Shaking your head violently when praying'!!!

It does not mean.....fasting 100 days!!!

It does not mean....attending 7 days vigils!!!

It does not even mean....giving all your salary as a sacrifice!!!

Now listen carefully: it only required 'violence' to bring in GRACE when Jesus had not yet died!

Now Jesus had ALREADY DIED!!!

You can now LEGALLY PARTAKE OF GRACE!!!

GRACE IS TOTALLY UNMERITED FAVOUR!!!

Stop living your life as if Jesus had not yet died!

Rest on the finished work of Christ and receive your miracle FREELY!!!

'He (God) that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, ...How shall He not with Him also ...FREELY...FREELY...FREELY...give us...ALL...ALL...ALL...things!!! (Romans 8:32)

I therefore leave you with the words of Paul to the Galatians:

'Stand fast therefore in the LIBERTY wherewith CHRIST hath made us FREE,...and be not entangled again with the yoke of BONDAGE (law)! (Gal 5:1)

I'm sure your eyes of understanding has been enlightened to see what Jesus has done for you and what Jesus meant by ...'The kindom of Heaven suffereth violence and the violent taketh it by force'!

Wake up to the realities of GRACE!

Hallelujah!

The GOSPEL OF GRACE CONFERENCE 2014 (season 3) shall be a 'Rhema-Unsual' conference where God has determine to remove every scale of darkness from your eyes and usher you Graciously into the supernatural realms of GRACE!

Hallelujah!

Never forget: The violent taketh it by force does not mean....'Shaking your head violently when praying'!!!

You have been redeemed by the BLOOD!

'Stand fast therefore in the LIBERTY wherewith CHRIST hath made us FREE,...and be not entangled again with the yoke of BONDAGE (law)! (Galatians 5:1)

Amen

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by Elijah78: 1:58pm On Aug 24, 2014
Good one here @OP
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by achinaboy(m): 3:43pm On Aug 24, 2014
i better read my bible than read alllllll these
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by RockMaxi: 6:00pm On Aug 24, 2014
Nice one OP, you've really shed another inspirational topic based on revelation. Well I'll still uphold the earlier interpretation but no knowledge is lost.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by Yinkatolu: 7:25pm On Aug 24, 2014
@op who told u we can't still be violent in this era of grace in our prayer life? y did d Bible says pray without ceasing? y did d Bible says the effectual n fervent prayer of d righteous availeth much?
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by damilarelr(m): 10:05pm On Aug 24, 2014
Yinkatolu: @op who told u we can't still be violent in this era of grace in our prayer life? y did d Bible says pray without ceasing? y did d Bible says the effectual n fervent prayer of d righteous availeth much?

@Yinkatolu, effectual, fervent, and violent prayer life is not a substitute for what has been freely given unto us through the finished work of Christ..they are simply unmerited for, we don't deserve them, because Someone received the punishments He did not deserve.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by Yinkatolu: 10:30pm On Aug 24, 2014
damilarelr:

@Yinkatolu, effectual, fervent, and violent prayer life is not a substitute for what has been freely given unto us through the finished work of Christ..they are simply unmerited for, we don't deserve them, because Someone received the punishments He did not deserve.

then why do we still pray?
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by damilarelr(m): 10:58pm On Aug 24, 2014
@Goshen360
@Christembassy
@Drummaboy
sorry I mentioned you, but you are going to love this topic.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by damilarelr(m): 11:51pm On Aug 24, 2014
Yinkatolu:

then why do we still pray?

We pray in order to talk to the Father..to remind Him of His words..
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by Goshen360(m): 12:19am On Aug 25, 2014
@ my brother, damilarelr,

We connect in the grace revelation. People think the letters of Paul and other Apostles are mere just ink letters that doesn't make sense but I tell you what, they're powerful REVELATION of CHRIST teachings and finished works.

I have much to teach also and share which will unveil the messages of grace in the teachings of Christ. You, damilarelr also carry the truth and revelation of God's grace and we'll be here together to do the work of this ministry.

Weldone again my brother. You will offend the religious people though anytime the message of grace and of the cross is preached.

You're blessed graciously! !!
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by Yinkatolu: 9:03am On Aug 25, 2014
damilarelr:

We pray in order to talk to the Father..to remind Him of His words..

Has he forgotten his words? undecided
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by Nobody: 12:58pm On Aug 25, 2014
Funny. If this verse was in the Qur'an, Bible thumpers would scream "Islam is a terrorist religion" till they wake god from the grave. undecided

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by Goshen360(m): 1:15pm On Aug 25, 2014
Apatheist: Funny. If this verse was in the Qur'an, Bible thumpers would scream "Islam is a terrorist religion" till they wake god from the grave. undecided

Bible words have different and deeper positive meanings. When you read words like "hate" by\from Christ, you might think Christ hate people. Yes?
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 25, 2014
Goshen360:

Bible words have different and deeper positive meanings. When you read words like "hate" by\from Christ, you might think Christ hate people. Yes?
You totally missed my point.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by damilarelr(m): 9:19pm On Aug 25, 2014
Yinkatolu:

Has he forgotten his words? undecided

Not that He has forgotten His words, just that He loves reminders. A suitable example is the case of the Israelites that were almost forgotten in Egypt, God remembered the covenant He had with their fathers when He heard their groanings..
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by damilarelr(m): 9:26pm On Aug 25, 2014
Goshen360: @ my brother, damilarelr,

We connect in the grace revelation. People think the letters of Paul and other Apostles are mere just ink letters that doesn't make sense but I tell you what, they're powerful REVELATION of CHRIST teachings and finished works.

I have much to teach also and share which will unveil the messages of grace in the teachings of Christ. You, damilarelr also carry the truth and revelation of God's grace and we'll be here together to do the work of this ministry.

Weldone again my brother. You will offend the religious people though anytime the message of grace and of the cross is preached.

You're blessed graciously! !!

God bless you too my brother. The Gospel of Grace shall be preached to the end of the world!
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by Emusan(m): 9:40pm On Aug 25, 2014
damilarelr:
Not that He has forgotten His words, just that He loves reminders. A suitable example is the case of the Israelites that were almost forgotten in Egypt, God remembered the covenant He had with their fathers when He heard their groanings..

So who pray to God before He remember His promise?

Where you miss it is from the angle you took the definition of prayer from whereas prayer simply means Communication with God (for Christian). You'll agree with me that you don't communicate/talk to your biological father just because you need something from him. So likewise God, you communicate with Him always that's why the Bible says pray without ceasing but this might not entail shouting.

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by Sparklesebony: 9:54pm On Aug 25, 2014
I am loving this! Op. Thank You. Christirans today love rituals: do not, touch not, eat not.

We sometimes render Christ's death baseless with our rituals.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by damilarelr(m): 7:18am On Aug 26, 2014
Emusan:

So who pray to God before He remember His promise?

Where you miss it is from the angle you took the definition of prayer from whereas prayer simply means Communication with God (for Christian). You'll agree with me that you don't communicate/talk to your biological father just because you need something from him. So likewise God, you communicate with Him always that's why the Bible says pray without ceasing but this might not entail shouting.

@Emusan, true, prayer is not just meant to be a request platform like painted in our churches today where we are even instructed to come to church with "prayer requests". However, my previous comment didn't mention reminding God His promises..but His word.

For instance, when we sing His praises, are those praises not contained in His word? Even when we make requests based on His promises, didn't He instruct us to do so in Is.43:26?

More so, pls give a supportive scripture that regards prayer as communication/talk with God as my Father responds to the thoughts of His children!
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by damilarelr(m): 7:27am On Aug 26, 2014
Sparklesebony: I am loving this! Op. Thank You. Christirans today love rituals: do not, touch not, eat not.

We sometimes render Christ's death baseless with our rituals.

Not just that, Christianity has been reduced to religion, plus man love to do, to do, and to do in order to qualify for what they have been qualified for thru the finished work of Christ.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by drstan(m): 12:56pm On Aug 26, 2014
Op, I stop coming to religion section because of wrong interpretation of the bible from people like you, what connection do violent taketh it by force and operating in grace have, oh! We are in the era of grace, so no need of violent contending? When paul said contend for thy faith, what did he mean by contend?
when Jesus was casting out demon from the posses he was meditating right? i didn't read your post any further when i saw you relating violent with grace.

From the verse . ; And from the DAYS OF JOHN THE BAPTIST UNTIL NOW.

It Means even now you still use violent,.

Jesus use violent to chase those selling in the temple, how wish Jesus use calmness and warm tone, who will leave the temple, Jesus use violent to take back the temple from the money lenders, esther use violent to meet the king, she said if I die I die, that is a violent spirit,

Matthew 11:12 Amplified Bible (AMP)
12 And from the days of John the Baptist until the present time, the kingdom of heaven has endured violent assault, and violent men seize it by force [as a precious prize—a [ a ] share in the heavenly kingdom is sought with most ardent zeal and intense exertion].
Grace operate in a dimension when our physical strength can't help us, in as much am still growing in the faith, but on this. nah nah
This is how so many christian has been deceive thinking christianity is a bed of rose when adversity comes they start blaming God, waiting for grace to perform magic, the grace God gave us was to enable us not to faint in the days of our struggling and contending,

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by drstan(m): 1:19pm On Aug 26, 2014
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by DrummaBoy(m): 1:26pm On Aug 26, 2014
damilarelr: @Goshen360
@Christembassy
@Drummaboy
sorry I mentioned you, but you are going to love this topic.

I endorse every word in the OP.

Please what are your plans towards a Grace Conference 2014 which you mentioned?
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by damilarelr(m): 7:55am On Aug 27, 2014
DrummaBoy:

I endorse every word in the OP.

Please what are your plans towards a Grace Conference 2014 which you mentioned?

Start making plans to be at this upcoming Gospel Of Grace
conference!
Theme: ONCE AND FOR ALL!.
Date: Saturday, November 22, 2014
Venue: Sweet Sensation Hall, Opebi, Ikeja, Lagos.
Time: 11am.
Gate fee: absolutely FREE!
Ministering: Akinyera Damilola and Ola Joseph Kolawole
You will thank God you were there!
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by damilarelr(m): 10:08am On Aug 27, 2014
drstan: Op, I stop coming to religion section because of wrong interpretation of the bible from people like you, what connection do violent taketh it by force and operating in grace have, oh! We are in the era of grace, so no need of violent contending? When paul said contend for thy faith, what did he mean by contend?
when Jesus was casting out demon from the posses he was meditating right? i didn't read your post any further when i saw you relating violent with grace.

From the verse . ; And from the DAYS OF JOHN THE BAPTIST UNTIL NOW.

It Means even now you still use violent,.

Jesus use violent to chase those selling in the temple, how wish Jesus use calmness and warm tone, who will leave the temple, Jesus use violent to take back the temple from the money lenders, esther use violent to meet the king, she said if I die I die, that is a violent spirit,

Matthew 11:12 Amplified Bible (AMP)
12 And from the days of John the Baptist until the present time, the kingdom of heaven has endured violent assault, and violent men seize it by force [as a precious prize—a [ a ] share in the heavenly kingdom is sought with most ardent zeal and intense exertion].
Grace operate in a dimension when our physical strength can't help us, in as much am still growing in the faith, but on this. nah nah
This is how so many christian has been deceive thinking christianity is a bed of rose when adversity comes they start blaming God, waiting for grace to perform magic, the grace God gave us was to enable us not to faint in the days of our struggling and contending,

My brother, Grace is not to help your physical strength fulfill the law, Grace is absolutely void of your effort. It is God's effort plus none of yours, else it's no more Grace (Romans 4:4-5).

Watch out for the next thread distinguishing between what the Bible means by Flesh and Blood!
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 27, 2014
even Jesus The SON OF GOD was violent In prayer or else how do you think that he prayed and his sweat was like great drops of blood falling to the ground .
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by Ohial(m): 1:41pm On Aug 27, 2014
Absolutely! we need more of those who will interpret Scripture in it's proper context. Keep it up!
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by krayzieklay(m): 2:31pm On Aug 27, 2014
Apatheist: Funny. If this verse was in the Qur'an, Bible thumpers would scream "Islam is a terrorist religion" till they wake god from the grave. undecided
My brother, are you minding them?.... The funny thing about these Christians is dat 10 people can av 10 different interpretations just on one verse alone. Im so sure another Christian bro will come here and disagree with the Op. No wonder we have different churches with different doctrines and mode of worship. I have never seen a religion(abi way of life) as confused as Christianity.

No offence.. Just my observation.
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by damilarelr(m): 8:51pm On Aug 27, 2014
Dux01: even Jesus The SON OF GOD was violent In prayer or else how do you think that he prayed and his sweat was like great drops of blood falling to the ground .

You are right bro, the blood of Jesus Christ was shed for your sake, He took the punishments, the beatings for you and I. It wouldn't make any sense for you to now shed your blood because you want to please God. You don't want to make Jesus' finished works void over your life, would you?
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by damilarelr(m): 8:55pm On Aug 27, 2014
Ohial: Absolutely! we need more of those who will interpret Scripture in it's proper context. Keep it up!

More Grace bro. The devil almost succeeded in "conning" the body of Christ when the text in the scripture is being removed from it's context. God be praised.
Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by drstan(m): 9:07pm On Aug 27, 2014
krayzieklay:
My brother, are you minding them?.... The funny thing about these Christians is dat 10 people can av 10 different interpretations just on one verse alone. Im so sure another Christian bro will come here and disagree with the Op. No wonder we have different churches with different doctrines and mode of worship. I have never seen a religion(abi way of life) as confused as Christianity.

No offence.. Just my observation.

oh you are happy violent is the bible, lol christianity violent is not to carry bomb and gun, our violent is in the aspects of prayers,and things that concern Gods work, and not to be doing what your brothers is doing.

Re: The Meaning Of "The Violent Takes It By Force" In Matthew 12:11 by Saraha1(f): 3:08am On Aug 28, 2014
Dux01: even Jesus The SON OF GOD was violent In prayer or else how do you think that he prayed and his sweat was like great drops of blood falling to the ground .
God bless you.
Is when you have not being face with some difficult challenges that you will say praying violently is wrong.

@op, thank your star that we don't live in thesame compound, infact am sure by now you would have park out. Because am so certain you can't withstand my shaking of head and shouting at the top of my voice .

Note we are not shouting on God. The shaking of head and shouting is meant to tell that battle in our life that we mean business , which they have no choice than to obey us by parking all their evildeposit out of our lives.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gary Foxcroft Saving "Witches" In Akwa-Ibom (Video) / Saint Dikeji Miyerijesu Receives Lexus Jeep As Birthday Gift From Church Members / Why I Visited President Buhari – Father Mbaka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.