Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,873 members, 7,817,571 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Cockpit Of A BRT - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cockpit Of A BRT (1276 Views)

Banker Crushed To Death By BRT Bus / Photos : Accident Leads To Fight Between BRT Staff And Car Owner In Lagos / Passengers & Goods Loaded Together In A BRT Bus At Idumota (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cockpit Of A BRT by bigass(f): 5:57pm On Aug 24, 2014
cockpit of a BRT.
Personally I believe , Fashola the action Governor, failed in The area of Transportation in Lagos state, as one of the main problems confronting Lagosians is the poorly organized transport sector which bring untold hardship on all road users in the state.
Lagos, though a small sized state, is a cosmopolitan city. Most people do not live where they work,therefore, going to work for many involve traveling from one end of the state to another and spending countless hours on the road.
Lagos needs a well organized transport sector comprising Buses trains etc,so with the introdution of BRT by LAMATA in 2007, hopes were raised, however 7yrs down the lane the BRT system has failed

1 Like

Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by Sunnybobo3(m): 6:03pm On Aug 24, 2014
Eko oni bajè

1 Like

Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by bigass(f): 6:15pm On Aug 24, 2014
Eko ti baje

2 Likes

Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by seunlayi(m): 6:20pm On Aug 24, 2014
Sunnybobo3: Eko oni bajè
if this is true, o ti certain wipe Eko to B'aje

1 Like

Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by eaglechild: 6:23pm On Aug 24, 2014
Eko adigo mma!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Is this the BRT APC is shouting about.
This bus is just waiting to catch fire.

Fashola will dump these liabilities along with the debt he has accumulated for the next governor.

APC bunch of jokers.

1 Like

Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by hybridtm(m): 6:27pm On Aug 24, 2014
Nothing just good for dis country

1 Like

Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by Arysexy(m): 6:29pm On Aug 24, 2014
No maintenance culture even with all the revenue the buses generate daily.

Tufiakwaaasssss
Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by lonelydora: 10:22pm On Aug 24, 2014
I thought Fashola is performing? Why all the Eko ni baje?
Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by Lexusgs430: 1:12am On Aug 25, 2014
Nah real cockpit, Firepit nko?
Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by Marpol: 9:54am On Aug 25, 2014
Remember these buses are not owned by Lagos state government. These buses belong to NURTW. what Lagos is doing is providing the platform which is the dedicated BRT lane.
Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by Okijajuju1(m): 9:55am On Aug 25, 2014
grin
Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 25, 2014
That bus is an accident just waiting to happen. No different from a time bomb. How can such a vehicle be allowed to operate commercially?
Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by Okijajuju1(m): 10:45am On Aug 25, 2014
[
bigass: cockpit of a BRT.
Personally I believe , Fashola the action Governor, failed in The area of Transportation in Lagos state, as one the main problems confronting Lagosians is the poorly organized transport sector, and this brings untold hardship to all road users in the state.
Lagos, though a small sized state, is a cosmopolitan city. Most people do not live where they work,therefore, going to work for many involve traveling from one end of the state to another and spending countless hours on the road.
Lagos need a well organized transport sector involving Buses trains etc,so with the introdution of BRT by LAMATA in 2007, hopes were raised, however 7yrs down the lane the BRT system has failed

Its a Nigerian Problem that transcends BRT.

When the Buses were launched, I could immediately have counted off the top of my head over 5 solid reasons why the scheme would fail and go the way of the other schemes of the past..
Like with everything the government does, they never think it through. It’s like someone has an idea and just jumps with it without first brainstorming it to see how it could fail and where the likely sources of problems could come from and developed a process/system that accounts for all these gaps.

Areas where the BRT scheme failed was;

1. Driver recruitment/Training/monitoring process. : I believe that a College of Commercial Driving should be set-up by either the government of the Private sector and all commercial drivers (Both public and private) should be trained there and certified there (both Physically and mentally) before put behind the wheels of any commercial bus. And these BRT Lanes should all have ground Monitoring and CCTV in place to monitor the drivers. There training should include proper Conduct training, Driving proficiency, First Aid and emergency training, etiquette, e.t.c..

The Monitoring team should not just monitor speed and driving, but also compliance like: Dress code (as I believe they should all have Uniforms like the Police with Ranks to tell how long a Driver has been driving and differentiate senior drivers from junior drivers), Conduct and Loading. All Passengers should be seated and the Bus should not move until all passengers are seated and the doors shut. Police or Man-O-War or NSCDC personnel should be deployed at each Bus stop to ensure compliance.

Also, a Point deduction system should be set-up so that any Driver who is involved in an accident automatically loses points and if the accident is found to be the Drivers fault, he can be fired and even charged with a crime or a misdemeanor.

2. Maintenance/Fleet Management:: This one is the one that irks me the most as I didn’t expect the Government in 2014 to purchase such vehicles in Large quantity without a proper "OVM" maintenance/insurance scheme in place to cater to the repairs of the trucks. Pictures such as what the OP put up should never be allowed in our buses if it was being maintained by an authorized dealership mechanic.

3. Route Management/Journey management System.:: For the BRT to be effective, it should be able to guarantee a properly timed and scheduled arrival at each bus stop within a certain time slot.. Example, those who live abroad know that there is a bus time table that tells you exactly when the next set of buses would arrive at each bus stop.. The frequency increases during rush hour and thins out during the off-peak periods.. Also a team that monitors the route for potholes, illegal users and more should have been factored into the planning. The Drivers should also have an assessment/report form that they fill in daily with comments.

And much more.. I think all our government need to start recruiting brain stormers into their governments whose jobs are to poke holes into every new policy with the aim of identifying the weaknesses and lapses in every policy and proffering solutions to these problems.

Almost every state Government transport scheme has never lasted past the first 2 years of its inception before starting to look like the nonsense they were initially trying to get rid of. [/b]

8 Likes

Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by peterphd(m): 3:28pm On Aug 25, 2014
Okijajuju1: [

When the Buses were launched, I could immediately have counted off the top of my head over 5 solid reasons why the scheme would fail and go the way of the other schemes of the past..
Like with everything the government does, they never think it through. It’s like someone has an idea and just jumps with it without first brainstorming it to see how it could fail and where the likely sources of problems could come from and developed a process/system that accounts for all these gaps.

1. Driver recruitment/Training/monitoring process. : I believe that a College of Commercial Driving should be set-up by either the government of the Private sector and all commercial drivers (Both public and private) should be trained there and certified there (both Physically and mentally) before put behind the wheels of any commercial bus. And these BRT Lanes should all have ground Monitoring and CCTV in place to monitor the drivers. There training should include proper Conduct training, Driving proficiency, First Aid and emergency training, etiquette, e.t.c..

The Monitoring team should not just monitor speed and driving, but also compliance like: Dress code (as I believe they should all have Uniforms like the Police with Ranks to tell how long a Driver has been driving and differentiate senior drivers from junior drivers), Conduct and Loading. All Passengers should be seated and the Bus should not move until all passengers are seated and the doors shut. Police or Man-O-War or NSCDC personnel should be deployed at each Bus stop to ensure compliance.

Also, a Point deduction system should be set-up so that any Driver who is involved in an accident automatically loses points and if the accident is found to be the Drivers fault, he can be fired and even charged with a crime or a misdemeanor.

2. Maintenance/Fleet Management:: This one is the one that irks me the most as I didn’t expect the Government in 2014 to purchase such vehicles in Large quantity without a proper "OVM" maintenance/insurance scheme in place to cater to the repairs of the trucks. Pictures such as what the OP put up should never be allowed in our buses if it was being maintained by an authorized dealership mechanic.

3. Route Management/Journey management System.:: For the BRT to be effective, it should be able to guarantee a properly timed and scheduled arrival at each bus stop within a certain time slot.. Example, those who live abroad know that there is a bus time table that tells you exactly when the next set of buses would arrive at each bus stop.. The frequency increases during rush hour and thins out during the off-peak periods.. Also a team that monitors the route for potholes, illegal users and more should have been factored into the planning. The Drivers should also have an assessment/report form that they fill in daily with comments.

And much more.. I think all our government need to start recruiting brain stormers into their governments whose jobs are to poke holes into every new policy with the aim of identifying the weaknesses and lapses in every policy and proffering solutions to these problems.

Almost every state Government transport scheme has never lasted past the first 2 years of its inception before starting to look like the nonsense they were initially trying to get rid of. [/b]

okijajuju I swear I love the way you think.

1 Like

Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by mcpat(m): 10:57pm On Aug 25, 2014
Okijajuju1: [

see as bros turn am to Assessment centre

1 Like

Re: Cockpit Of A BRT by Okijajuju1(m): 9:24am On Aug 26, 2014
mcpat:
see as bros turn am to Assessment centre

No assess am..

You no know say na my tax dem use buy that bus give agberos to scatter!

(1) (Reply)

Accord(E-spirit), E350 And Camry(spider) As A Third Option. / See How A Car Was Saved From Falling Into A River. / And This DANFO Has K-leg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.