Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,530 members, 7,954,991 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:47 PM

10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late (1125 Views)

10 Things To Do While Stuck In Nigerian Traffic / The 10 Things You Cant Learn In The Classroom / Popular Brands From The Late 70's, 80's And Early 90's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by ggrin(f): 9:33pm On Aug 24, 2014
About a decade ago a coworker of mine died in a car accident on the way home from work.
During his funeral several people from the office were in tears, saying kind things like, “I
loved him. We all loved him so much. He was such a wonderful person.” Of course, I
started crying too. But I couldn’t help but wonder if these people had told him that they
loved him while he was alive, or whether it was only with death that this powerful word,
“love,” had been used without question or hesitation.
I vowed to myself then and there that I would never again hesitate to speak up to the people
I care about and remind them of how much I appreciate them. They deserve to know they
give meaning to my life. They deserve to know I think the world of them.
But this wake-up call taught me something even bigger than that. Not only did it teach me
to speak up to others, it taught me to speak up to myself too, about my attitude, my self-
respect, my dreams, and so forth. Because the harsh truth is, we never know. We never know
when everything will change. When great opportunities will pass. When everything we
take for granted will be taken away. We don’t know when later will be too late.
Don’t let this reality depress you; let it motivate you. Let it push you to say what you’ve
been meaning to say all along, to others and to yourself…

1. “I love you.” – Love rarely ever knows it’s own depth until it’s taken away. So don’t
wait around. If you appreciate someone today, tell them. If you love someone today,
show them. Hearts are often confused and broken by thoughtful words left unspoken,
and loving deeds left undone. There might not be a tomorrow. Today is the day to
express your love and admiration.

2. “Thank you.” – For my 17th birthday, many moons ago, my grandfather on my
mom’s side gave me four used flannel shirts he no longer needed. The shirts were
barely worn and in flawless condition, and my grandfather told me he thought they
would look great on me. Sadly, I thought they were an odd gift at the time and I
wasn’t thankful. I looked at him skeptically, gave him a crooked half-smile, and
moved on to the other gifts sitting in front of me. My grandfather died two days later
from a sudden heart attack. The flannel shirts were the last gifts he ever gave me. I
regret the small thing I didn’t say when I had the chance: “Thank you Grandpa.
That’s so thoughtful of you.”

3. “I am a good person who is worthy of my own love and respect.” – Human beings
can withstand a week without water, two weeks without food, many years of
homelessness… but not loneliness. It is the worst of all agonies. And what’s the
worst kind of loneliness? The kind you can’t escape – when you are uncomfortable
with yourself. The truth is, a partner, or even just a friend, can add lots of beauty to
your life, but they can’t fill a void that exists within you. You alone are responsible
for you own fulfillment. If you feel hopelessly lonely whenever you’re alone, it
means you’re in bad company. It means you need to work on your relationship with
yourself first. (Angel and I discuss this process in detail in the “Self-Love” chapter
of 1,000 Little Things Happy, Successful People Do Differently.)

4. “I can’t always win, but I can always learn and grow.” – Don’t confuse poor
decision-making with your destiny. Own your mistakes. It’s OK; we all make them.
Learn from life experiences so they can empower you! What we call our destiny is
really just our character, and that character can be enriched. The knowledge that you
are responsible for your actions and attitudes does not need to be discouraging
either, because it means you are free to change your destiny. Yes, the past has shaped
your feelings and perspectives, but all this can be altered if you have the courage to
reexamine how it formed you. You can always alter your chemistry provided you
have the courage to dissect your elements.

5. “It’s time to do something positive.” – The next time you have the urge to
complain, stop and ask yourself what it is you truly want. Do you just want to
complain or do you want to improve your situation? Somewhere within each
complaint is a genuine desire to improve things, but the complaint by itself is never
enough to make it happen. So make the choice not to aggravate a bad situation with
your complaints. Choose instead to improve it with your positive thoughts, ideas
and actions.

6. “I CAN do this!” – The obstacle is never enough to stop you. What stops you is
your belief that you can’t get past the obstacle. The problem is not that you have too
much of this or too little of that. The problem is, you’re waiting for perfect
conditions that don’t exist. The achievements that really occur in life, take place in
reality. The things that really get done, get done in an imperfect world. Don’t make
excuses for why you can’t get it done. Focus on all the reasons why you must make
it happen. There will always be challenges. And there will always be things you can
do to grow beyond them. (Read Start: Punch Fear in the Face )

7. “Their drama is NOT mine to deal with.” – Honestly, you can’t save most people
from themselves, so don’t get sucked too deep into their drama. Those who make
perpetual chaos of their lives won’t appreciate you interfering with the commotion
they’ve created, anyway. They want your “poor baby” sympathy, but they don’t
want to change. They don’t want their lives fixed by YOU. They don’t want their
problems solved, their emotional addictions and distractions taken away, their stories
resolved, or their messes cleaned up. Because what would they have left? They
don’t know and they aren’t ready to know yet. And it’s not your job to tell them.

8. “I’m sorry.” – In this life, when you deny someone an apology, you remember
doing so when you find yourself begging for forgiveness. And if often happens just
like that. Why? Because guilt festers. Don’t do this to yourself. An apology is the
best way to have the last word. The first to apologize is the strongest, and the first to
move forward is the happiest. Always. And of course, don’t bother apologizing if
you’re just going to continue doing the things you said sorry for. Say it and mean it.
Look the person in the eyes when you say it, and feel it in your bones.

9. “I forgive you.” – A broken relationship that is mended through forgiveness can be
even stronger than it once was. But, of course, this isn’t always the case. So
remember that forgiveness doesn’t necessarily lead to healed relationships. That’s
not the point. Some relationships aren’t meant to be. Forgive anyway, for your own
sake, and then let what’s meant to be, BE. Forgiveness allows you to focus on the
future without combating the past. Without forgiveness, wounds can never be
healed, and progress can never be made. What happened in the past is just one
chapter. Don’t close the book; just turn the page. (Read Loving What Is .)

10. “Life right now is pretty darn good.” – Some people wait all day for 5pm, all week
for Friday, all year for the holidays, all their lives for happiness. Don’t be one of
them. Don’t wait until your life is almost over to realize how good it has been. The
good life begins right now, when you stop waiting for a better one.
www.marcandangel.com/2014/05/25/10-things-you-need-to-say-before-its-too-late/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 24, 2014
Never been difficult for me to say I'm sorry and I love you... Now gotta keep the ten in mind n make it a lifestyle...
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by ggrin(f): 9:41pm On Aug 24, 2014
polymathic: Never been difficult for me to say I'm sorry and I love you... Now gotta keep the ten in mind n make it a lifestyle...
thumbs upsmiley
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by duni04(m): 9:44pm On Aug 24, 2014
For me its:
1. Forgive me Lord and
10. Thank you Lord
Every other thing, i can afford not to say
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 24, 2014
ggrin: thumbs upsmiley
smiley  
( cheesy )

/ \ ,
' ‎​. Oo
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by ggrin(f): 9:50pm On Aug 24, 2014
polymathic: smiley  
( cheesy )

/ \ ,
' ‎​. Oo

\kiss/
$
/\
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by bigt2(m): 9:55pm On Aug 24, 2014
What about 'please' ?
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by sugarboimaxy(m): 10:06pm On Aug 24, 2014
ggrin: About a decade ago a coworker of mine died in a car accident on the way home from work.
During his funeral several people from the office were in tears, saying kind things like, “I
loved him. We all loved him so much. He was such a wonderful person.” Of course, I
started crying too. But I couldn’t help but wonder if these people had told him that they
loved him while he was alive, or whether it was only with death that this powerful word,
“love,” had been used without question or hesitation.
I vowed to myself then and there that I would never again hesitate to speak up to the people
I care about and remind them of how much I appreciate them. They deserve to know they
give meaning to my life. They deserve to know I think the world of them.
But this wake-up call taught me something even bigger than that. Not only did it teach me
to speak up to others, it taught me to speak up to myself too, about my attitude, my self-
respect, my dreams, and so forth. Because the harsh truth is, we never know. We never know
when everything will change. When great opportunities will pass. When everything we
take for granted will be taken away. We don’t know when later will be too late.
Don’t let this reality depress you; let it motivate you. Let it push you to say what you’ve
been meaning to say all along, to others and to yourself…

1. “I love you.” – Love rarely ever knows it’s own depth until it’s taken away. So don’t
wait around. If you appreciate someone today, tell them. If you love someone today,
show them. Hearts are often confused and broken by thoughtful words left unspoken,
and loving deeds left undone. There might not be a tomorrow. Today is the day to
express your love and admiration.

2. “Thank you.” – For my 17th birthday, many moons ago, my grandfather on my
mom’s side gave me four used flannel shirts he no longer needed. The shirts were
barely worn and in flawless condition, and my grandfather told me he thought they
would look great on me. Sadly, I thought they were an odd gift at the time and I
wasn’t thankful. I looked at him skeptically, gave him a crooked half-smile, and
moved on to the other gifts sitting in front of me. My grandfather died two days later
from a sudden heart attack. The flannel shirts were the last gifts he ever gave me. I
regret the small thing I didn’t say when I had the chance: “Thank you Grandpa.
That’s so thoughtful of you.”

3. “I am a good person who is worthy of my own love and respect.” – Human beings
can withstand a week without water, two weeks without food, many years of
homelessness… but not loneliness. It is the worst of all agonies. And what’s the
worst kind of loneliness? The kind you can’t escape – when you are uncomfortable
with yourself. The truth is, a partner, or even just a friend, can add lots of beauty to
your life, but they can’t fill a void that exists within you. You alone are responsible
for you own fulfillment. If you feel hopelessly lonely whenever you’re alone, it
means you’re in bad company. It means you need to work on your relationship with
yourself first. (Angel and I discuss this process in detail in the “Self-Love” chapter
of 1,000 Little Things Happy, Successful People Do Differently.)

4. “I can’t always win, but I can always learn and grow.” – Don’t confuse poor
decision-making with your destiny. Own your mistakes. It’s OK; we all make them.
Learn from life experiences so they can empower you! What we call our destiny is
really just our character, and that character can be enriched. The knowledge that you
are responsible for your actions and attitudes does not need to be discouraging
either, because it means you are free to change your destiny. Yes, the past has shaped
your feelings and perspectives, but all this can be altered if you have the courage to
reexamine how it formed you. You can always alter your chemistry provided you
have the courage to dissect your elements.

5. “It’s time to do something positive.” – The next time you have the urge to
complain, stop and ask yourself what it is you truly want. Do you just want to
complain or do you want to improve your situation? Somewhere within each
complaint is a genuine desire to improve things, but the complaint by itself is never
enough to make it happen. So make the choice not to aggravate a bad situation with
your complaints. Choose instead to improve it with your positive thoughts, ideas
and actions.

6. “I CAN do this!” – The obstacle is never enough to stop you. What stops you is
your belief that you can’t get past the obstacle. The problem is not that you have too
much of this or too little of that. The problem is, you’re waiting for perfect
conditions that don’t exist. The achievements that really occur in life, take place in
reality. The things that really get done, get done in an imperfect world. Don’t make
excuses for why you can’t get it done. Focus on all the reasons why you must make
it happen. There will always be challenges. And there will always be things you can
do to grow beyond them. (Read Start: Punch Fear in the Face )

7. “Their drama is NOT mine to deal with.” – Honestly, you can’t save most people
from themselves, so don’t get sucked too deep into their drama. Those who make
perpetual chaos of their lives won’t appreciate you interfering with the commotion
they’ve created, anyway. They want your “poor baby” sympathy, but they don’t
want to change. They don’t want their lives fixed by YOU. They don’t want their
problems solved, their emotional addictions and distractions taken away, their stories
resolved, or their messes cleaned up. Because what would they have left? They
don’t know and they aren’t ready to know yet. And it’s not your job to tell them.

8. “I’m sorry.” – In this life, when you deny someone an apology, you remember
doing so when you find yourself begging for forgiveness. And if often happens just
like that. Why? Because guilt festers. Don’t do this to yourself. An apology is the
best way to have the last word. The first to apologize is the strongest, and the first to
move forward is the happiest. Always. And of course, don’t bother apologizing if
you’re just going to continue doing the things you said sorry for. Say it and mean it.
Look the person in the eyes when you say it, and feel it in your bones.

9. “I forgive you.” – A broken relationship that is mended through forgiveness can be
even stronger than it once was. But, of course, this isn’t always the case. So
remember that forgiveness doesn’t necessarily lead to healed relationships. That’s
not the point. Some relationships aren’t meant to be. Forgive anyway, for your own
sake, and then let what’s meant to be, BE. Forgiveness allows you to focus on the
future without combating the past. Without forgiveness, wounds can never be
healed, and progress can never be made. What happened in the past is just one
chapter. Don’t close the book; just turn the page. (Read Loving What Is .)

10. “Life right now is pretty darn good.” – Some people wait all day for 5pm, all week
for Friday, all year for the holidays, all their lives for happiness. Don’t be one of
them. Don’t wait until your life is almost over to realize how good it has been. The
good life begins right now, when you stop waiting for a better one.
www.marcandangel.com/2014/05/25/10-things-you-need-to-say-before-its-too-late/
Damn, You are cute... Ryt nw am contemplating asking you out. Whayasay?
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by sugarboimaxy(m): 10:08pm On Aug 24, 2014
ggrin:
\kiss/
$
/\
Still waiting for a reply
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by ggrin(f): 10:09pm On Aug 24, 2014
sugarboimaxy: Damn, You are cute... [s] Ryt nw am contemplating asking you out. Whayasay?
[/s] thankssmiley
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by sugarboimaxy(m): 10:13pm On Aug 24, 2014
ggrin: [/s][/b][/color] thankssmiley
Hmmm... I get it. U ar welcome BTW
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by Sallychizzl3: 10:15pm On Aug 24, 2014
in case. undecided
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by thegoodone2(m): 10:28pm On Aug 24, 2014
book
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by Sallychizzl3: 10:48pm On Aug 24, 2014
thegoodone2: book

dont you need a pen with that? undecided
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by thegoodone2(m): 11:10pm On Aug 24, 2014
Sallychizzl3:

dont you need a pen with that? undecided
i forget. give me urs. booked.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by duni04(m): 6:46am On Aug 25, 2014
sugarboimaxy: Damn, You are cute... Ryt nw am contemplating asking you out. Whayasay?
Really she is? undecided
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by KillerBeauty(f): 12:37pm On Aug 25, 2014
Cool cool
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 25, 2014
sorry lipsrsealed
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by CBNIM: 5:34pm On Aug 25, 2014
So TRUE! Especially, the I LOVE YOU n I'M SORRY part. Sometimes,we forget saying n showing it to our love ones when we have the chance, only to regret for d rest of our lives why we didn't when we had the chance!
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by immortalvoices(m): 6:34pm On Aug 25, 2014
I have made you too small in my heart, oh lord please forgive me
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by Bilany(f): 6:43pm On Aug 25, 2014
Why isn't this on frontpage? It's the truest thing I've read all day.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by iceberylin(m): 9:43am On Aug 26, 2014
ggrin today u posted something Reasonable has the sprit of Andyblaze left you
Re: 10 Things You Need To Say Before It’s Too Late by ggrin(f): 10:30am On Aug 26, 2014
iceberylin: ggrin today u posted something Reasonable has the sprit of Andyblaze left you
angry

(1) (Reply)

When Will Nairaland 10th Anniversary Be Celebrated / It Rained fish In Thailand This Morning {photos} / Snap Shots Of Of A Facebook Scammer Trying To Dupe Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.