Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,651 members, 7,955,363 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:17 AM

How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish (54061 Views)

How Can One Differentiate Between A Refurbish And A Non-refurbished Laptop? / Can I Use My Mtn Bis To Browse On My Laptop? Is It Possible Folks? / Help!the Sound From My Laptop Is Distorted. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by numericalguy(m): 9:18am On Aug 31, 2014
holyboss: Ok!

Aba guyz in d refurnblishing tin, Kudos to u guyz......#thumbsUp

9ja got talent.

See this mumu thing praising and saying thumbs up to criminality.

Aba guys don't and cannot refurbish laptops. What they do is that they go to the original manufacturers and buy the refurbished laptops at a discount, come to Nigeria, remove the refurbished stickers and sell to unsespecting Nigerians as brand new laptops.

1 Like

Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by Odunharry(m): 9:19am On Aug 31, 2014
NaLaugh: It shuts down when it feels like. It has a mind of its own, and doesn't care what you think.
lolz
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by holyboss: 9:25am On Aug 31, 2014
numericalguy:

See this mumu thing praising and saying thumbs up to criminality.

Aba guys don't and cannot refurbish laptops. What they do is that they go to the original manufacturers and buy the refurbished laptops at a discount, come to Nigeria, remove the refurbished stickers and sell to unsespecting Nigerians as brand new laptops.
Tweft. na me u dey call mumu #yaPalle

1 Like

Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by fidzy(m): 9:33am On Aug 31, 2014
kwaifa252: PLS IS IT POSSIBLE TO UPGRADE CPU FROM core i3 to i5 or to i7

If ur processor is removable...yup, but that's not the case nowadays
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by Nobody: 9:59am On Aug 31, 2014
Thanks for the info. Just have some concerns. I bought asystem for my wife, supposedly new. But i have a feeling it is refubrished. First, if u leave it idleafter some time, it shuts down. Second, being Windows 8,her user profile pic would not upload.

And is it possible to downgrade from Windows 8 to 7 or any of such without causing some issus to the system, such as driver issues? Cos basically, Windows 8 is on the left side for her. Thanks
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by xtripple: 10:03am On Aug 31, 2014
American refurbished laptop is boldly written onthe box(carton), they never hide the fact is a refurbished, I advise u to save money, buy refurbished american laptop because is as good as new laptops, it also come with original window. When booth for the first time the language/region will be US.

3 Likes

Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by Jimmywest(m): 10:07am On Aug 31, 2014
My refurbished HP laptop is working perfectly well since I bought it 2yrs ago. Infact, it has never gave me any problem whatsoever. Am enjoying it like kilodeeeeee

2 Likes

Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by debedebe(m): 10:10am On Aug 31, 2014
guyANDROID1: If u have an additional R at the end of
the product number ( Example:
NB234UA#ABA is the product for new
notebook and NB234UAR#ABA is the
product number for a refurbished
notebook. If KS453AV#ABA is the
product for new notebook Then
KS453AVR#ABA will be tech product
number of refurbished notebook)..
So if you have an additional R in the
product number, it means it is a
Refurbished notebook.

Product number can be find at the back of every laptop or the battery pack

Second way to know a refurbish laptop

Type these words in Run
box "MSinfo32" without the quote
if you see addition R in the
product number then this is a
Refurbished product...

Type window key +R to show the Run box

PS: Refurbishment is the process of
maintenance or minor repair of an item, either aesthetically or mechanically.

Computers and laptops that are
refurbished usually means that it did
not initially pass quality standards of
the manufacturer. They then fix or
recertify the unit and sell it at a
discount price (Up to 30% off). Most of
them carry a 30 day store warranty and 90 days with manufacturer.

Don't mistake refurbish laptops with second-hand laptops

Second-hand means something that is used by someone before selling or giving it out.
good topic
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by Carlmax(m): 10:19am On Aug 31, 2014
chucky234: Factory refurbished laptops are way better than used laptops either from UK/US or Mars.

They are sometimes even better than new ones. Reason is they were individually tested before sent back to the market. Am using one and its been outstanding.

3 Likes

Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by emyemweddings(m): 10:46am On Aug 31, 2014
holyboss: Ok!

Aba guyz in d refurnblishing tin, Kudos to u guyz......#thumbsUp

9ja got talent.
cant u c ABA in d product number sample?
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 31, 2014
There are also two key differences between refurbished products.

1) Factory Refurbished: These are practically brand new devices. They were returned to the manufacturer due to variety of reasons but the critical thing is that it will be as new when it goes out the door. Refurbished products such as these have the same warranty as new products.

A good example, I purchased MacBookAir 11.6", I returned it a few hours after when I got home and found it was just too small so I switched to a 13.3" I asked the store clerk what will happen to the one I returned. She said they will return it to Apple. So someone is going to get a great deal on a MAcBookAir.

2) Third Party Refurbished: There are refurbished by third arty non factory companies or some guy in his mothers basement. All bets are off.

I occasionally sell refurbished electronics products but you can rest assured that they will only be manufacturer refurbished.
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by Nobody: 10:48am On Aug 31, 2014
Carlmax:

They are sometimes even better than new ones. Reason is they were individually tested before sent back to the market. Am using one and its been outstanding.

Absolutely true.

1 Like

Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by Nobody: 10:50am On Aug 31, 2014
I can't find my product number after doing the MSinfo32 in my run command.
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by dazzy4real(m): 10:55am On Aug 31, 2014
malele: @ OP u are a funny person.
What is wrong with refurbished device?
Refurbish means item that quality control noticed had issues during manufacturing process and it was sent back to production line for examining and repairs.
Refurbished laptops are as good as new ones and better than fairly used.

dude he never said anything was wrong with refurbished lappy check his statement again..
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by Faraidi(m): 11:10am On Aug 31, 2014
guyANDROID1:

Is the best bro coz it also comes with warranty as stated in the topic.

But I feared Nigerian gadget seller won't tell you that. They'll even deny it.
pls bro send me your email or phone number, i want to buy one soon
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by guyANDROID1: 11:17am On Aug 31, 2014
Poznan: Thanks for the info. Just have some concerns. I bought asystem for my wife, supposedly new. But i have a feeling it is refubrished. First, if u leave it idleafter some time, it shuts down. Second, being Windows 8,her user profile pic would not upload.

And is it possible to downgrade from Windows 8 to 7 or any of such without causing some issus to the system, such as driver issues? Cos basically, Windows 8 is on the left side for her. Thanks

Why do you thinks its a refurbish when you haven't check it.

Even new laptops get faulty and that's why it is return to the manufacturer, repaired and sold as refurbish

Shutting down itself may be due to power management settings.

Try check the sleep options under power management.

Yes you can downgrade to window 7, however you'll need to get all the driver for window 7 for it to be able to function very well.

Drivers Pack solution 13 is good for this.

1 Like

Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by guyANDROID1: 11:28am On Aug 31, 2014
Carlmax:

Don't mind those crap statement by some ignorant people.

Nigerians be ignorant of sometime and still want to claim pro because they can sit at the convenient of their chair typing poo.

Little do they know that some claimed used UK/US laptop are not used in some cases, companies sell out old/laptops that they do not sell for a long time. Is like disposing it off for a cheaper price.

2 Likes

Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by holyboss: 11:28am On Aug 31, 2014
emyemweddings:
cant u c ABA in d product number sample?
shocked
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by guyANDROID1: 11:34am On Aug 31, 2014
Faraidi: pls bro send me your email or phone number, i want to buy one soon

Send me a pm!
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by guyANDROID1: 11:44am On Aug 31, 2014
oyb: The op is not entirely correct.

He is referring to manufacturer refurbished laptops. If I buy a laptop today in the US or UK, and it develops a fault and is replaced by the manufacturer, the manufacturer will fix the faulty laptop and sell as refurb. It is not laptops that failed quality testing, as you can still find those before shipping.

All big name manufactures have outlet sites where you can buy refurbs. Refurbs typically sell at a fraction of the price of new models. Eg a Dell precision m6700 can sell for 5000 dollars new, but a refurb will sell for 2000 dollars

I think what the op is driving at is the fact that dubious Nigerians will buy refurbs, remove stickers and sell at the price of brand new.

On eBay, honest dealers always indicate when a laptop is refurb.

Note that manufacturer refurb is not the same as repairs by some local repair shop (which like naija mechanics, usually adds 3 problems for every one solved.

SMH for some Nigerian that goes to skool but can't comprehend a simple sentence.

Do you see where I wrote this

"PS: Refurbishment is the process of
maintenance or minor repair of an
item, either aesthetically or
mechanically."

So If your laptop develop fault before warranty date and you return it, its the same as the quoted.
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by daveemuobo(m): 11:57am On Aug 31, 2014
op, you are not right sir

first,not all manufacturers append R to the serial number or identification numbers.I can speak for Asus because I have bought alot of their manufacturer refurbished laptops.Dell also dosnt.they append a refurbish tag and also indicate that tag in the bios (that black and blue/white screen area before Windows start).

See,there is a difference between types of refurbishing :Manufacturer refurbished and third party refurbished.

manufacturer refurbished products are as good as new and are mostly slightly cheaper.they usually indicate that the product was refurbished with tags or on the packaging.only sometimes do they change serials. check my picture attached

third party refurbished products are not indicated on the serial number because only the manufacturer has the right to alter serial numbers.most third party refurbs.they only indicate it on the invoice or packaging.

so OP .the fact that there is an R in the serial number may not indicate refurbished status.except for a particular brand.definitely not dell ,Asus,Toshiba,msi,or hp .

For Asus even. they use letters at the end to indicate country the product is bound to be delivered okay?

For the users,if your laptop was manufacturer refurbished you have no reason to panic.you may have been cheated though ,since refurbs are cheaper.

somebody has already indicated what refurbs are so in will not dwell on that

My pix is that of a refurbished touchscreen Acer core i5 4th generation laptop carton.the only indication of refurbished is the "Condition:LU" and the disclaimer: this product has been recertified.the laptop looks brand new with all accessories and recovery partiton.of course I did not hide the status from my friend.he paid less.

1 Like

Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by Nobody: 11:59am On Aug 31, 2014
wink
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by millomaniac: 12:08pm On Aug 31, 2014
refurbished or not whats the big deal. for me as long as its not a used computer. the so called new computers can develop a problem weeks or even days after purchase "for crying out loud thats why they have warranty" because there is a chance it will get faulty. Now if that fault has been recognised, then sent back to the factory and has been rectified i don't know about you but i think that will be the one i'm gonna buy. even if they attach refurbished to the name. (at like 40% discount. AWESOME !!). and it still even has warranty grin. i bet you many people use factory refurbished computers without even knowing, because it just works perfectly.

1 Like

Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by guyANDROID1: 12:13pm On Aug 31, 2014
millomaniac: refurbished or not whats the big deal. for me as long as its not a used computer. the so called new computers can develop a problem weeks or even days after purchase "for crying out loud thats why they have warranty" because there is a chance it will get faulty. Now if that fault has been recognised, then sent back to the factory and has been rectified i don't know about you but i think that will be the one i'm gonna buy. even if they attach refurbished to the name. (at like 40% discount. AWESOME !!). and it still even has warranty grin. i bet you many people use factory refurbished computers without even knowing, because it just works perfectly.

Are you angry bro smiley

Sorry bro, don't be hard on yourself
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by millomaniac: 12:42pm On Aug 31, 2014
?? undecided wuts That? whatever it is anyway sounds foo .... lipsrsealed. lets just say doesn't make sense.
guyANDROID1:

Are you angry bro smiley

Sorry bro, don't be hard on yourself
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by numericalguy(m): 12:57pm On Aug 31, 2014
holyboss: Tweft. na me u dey call mumu #yaPalle

Oya pele, sorry..

You sef, why you come dey praise person wey dey cheat others na.
Its better we expose fraudulent people and their ways rather than praising them.
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by swaystunna(m): 1:50pm On Aug 31, 2014
Who outchea got a 'manufacturers refurblished' hp envy 15 or 17 fo sale
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by mcdokwe(m): 2:02pm On Aug 31, 2014
NaLaugh: It shuts down when it feels like. It has a mind of its own, and doesn't care what you think.
biggest lie ever sayeth
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by mcdokwe(m): 2:03pm On Aug 31, 2014
swaystunna: Who outchea got a 'manufacturers refurblished' hp envy 15 or 17 fo sale
i do have em
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by UIA04(f): 2:08pm On Aug 31, 2014
Pls how can I know a refurbished phone

And where can I get a refurbished laptop in nigeria
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by lawrenceunaa: 2:29pm On Aug 31, 2014
thanks op, pls i need to buy a laptop pls guys suggest one for me, windows 8 and @ the range of 60k to 80k
Re: How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish by lawrenceunaa: 2:30pm On Aug 31, 2014
thanks op, pls i need to buy a laptop pls guys suggest one for me, windows 8,good ram(3gb) and rom and @ the range of 60k to 80k

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Make Google Chrome Browse More Faster With These 4 Steps / How To Resume Download Of Broken Files With IDM (Internet Download Manager) / Unlock Your E303 Mtn Modems Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.