Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,554 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? (11684 Views)

Application For Admission Into Federal Government Unity Schools 2016 Is Ongoing / No Admission, What Next? / After Admission What Next?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by DBounty(m): 5:30am On Aug 26, 2014
Its no longer a myth or mystery to have kids whose IQ are far ahead their age. Needless to debate that d jet age innovations have a fast forward effect on education system. Why i quite agree on the fact that age and experience are very important to application of knowledge, HOWEVER,HOW CAN ONE SOLVE THE CHALLENGE OF INSTITUTIONS SCREENING OFF SCHOOL LEAVERS WHO ARE LESS THAN 16. [i][/i]
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Nobody: 6:20am On Aug 26, 2014
I think its the right thing to do.....University is not secondary school...

8 Likes

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by hatux: 6:30am On Aug 26, 2014
There is nothing bad in letting that kind of child(ren), but what they need is proper orientation, when there's that then the child is good to go. Atleast here in Nigeria that I am, have met a 20year old undergraduate before, you can imagined what age he got admission into university.. And he made it out without any problem. So, my issue here now is allow the child proceed.*my opinion though*

1 Like

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Vstuffs(m): 6:34am On Aug 26, 2014
Many of them have not seen much in life..they are not mature to take up the challenges of the university...I think that age stuffs is a good thing..........or do you want to start seeing kids of 12years in the university

1 Like

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by immortalvoices(m): 7:06am On Aug 26, 2014
Vstuffs: Many of them have not seen much in life..they are not mature to take up the challenges of the university...I think that age stuffs is a good thing..........or do you want to start seeing kids of 12years in the university

haven't you heard of child genius?

1 Like

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Vstuffs(m): 7:28am On Aug 26, 2014
immortalvoices:

haven't you heard of child genius?
I have heard and seen a lot of them......maturity is sometime that is needed

1 Like

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by immortalvoices(m): 7:34am On Aug 26, 2014
Vstuffs: I have heard and seen a lot of them......maturity is sometime that is needed

then proper orientation is needed cos with their intelligence they will attain maturity...remember maturity is not gotten by the size of the body or chest but by the quality of the brain irrespective of age
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Vstuffs(m): 7:37am On Aug 26, 2014
immortalvoices:

then proper orientation is needed cos with their intelligence they will attain maturity...remember maturity is not gotten by the size of the body or chest but by the quality of the brain irrespective of age
True..you just make me change my mind......age should not be a barrier in education

3 Likes

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Nobody: 7:38am On Aug 26, 2014
Age is a number, you can be 30 and very immature, and you can be 15 and be ethically stable. If a 15 year old child is smart enough to beat all criteria/examination he should be given admission.

What challenges are we talking about?
Like we didn't go to the Uni?
There's no challenge anything that is new to the face of the earth.
I graduated from UNIBEN and we had a 19+year old graduating with a 2'1 of 4.2cgpa in my class. She was very smart and very stable through out. Not from a very rich home so she had learned a lot from life the hard way which made her mature upstairs at 15.
We should not forget that almost 2yrs of our life will be taken from us by ASUU+school delay in posting+ NYSC.......if you graduate at 21 you will start using your degree at 23yrs of age..that's Nigeria for us.
My opinion is allow anybody who has passed all your exams and screenings to start school. If he of she isn't good enough, he or she will fail out.

2 Likes

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Coldfaya(m): 7:42am On Aug 26, 2014
Vstuffs: Many of them have not seen much in life..they are not mature to take up the challenges of the university...I think that age stuffs is a good thing..........or do you want to start seeing kids of 12years in the university

The reason why Nigeria isn't progressing. We attach too much value to age which has continually failed us.
Contest for a political office and u will hear ppl shouting about age; how well has this paid us? Shouldn't we have a paradigm shift??
I'd rather have a kid save this country than let aged elders destroy it as they r doing presently

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Coldfaya(m): 7:47am On Aug 26, 2014
Vstuffs:
True..you just make me change my mind......age should not be a barrier in education

Good u had a rethink. Age shouldn't be a barrier for many things provided d person is tested n proven to b stable.

1 Like

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 26, 2014
I believe a child should be allowed to grow,than push-push.

Maturity at times comes with age,because in life,experience counts too.which most times comes with age too.
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by free2ryhme: 8:34am On Aug 26, 2014
DBounty: Its no longer a myth or mystery to have kids whose IQ are far ahead their age. Needless to debate that d jet age innovations have a fast forward effect on education system. Why i quite agree on the fact that age and experience are very important to application of knowledge, HOWEVER,HOW CAN ONE SOLVE THE CHALLENGE OF INSTITUTIONS SCREENING OFF SCHOOL LEAVERS WHO ARE LESS THAN 16. [i][/i]

Send them to covenant or redeemer's university
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Nobody: 9:03am On Aug 26, 2014
Go to ur lawyer n sworn an affidavit
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by leonard509(m): 9:22am On Aug 26, 2014
I think before entering the university ,they should be enrolled for Ijmb (an A-level )program . it'll widen their brain, and if they come out of the program with good grades take the result and make sure he starts from scratch ,pre-degree or 100 level .that's what I'll do to my own kids.
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by MisterLongman(m): 9:24am On Aug 26, 2014
free2ryhme:

They will gladly accept them
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by MisterLongman(m): 9:24am On Aug 26, 2014
free2ryhme:

Private universities will gladly accept them
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Canme4u(m): 9:25am On Aug 26, 2014
Am here to learn.
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Genea(f): 10:11am On Aug 26, 2014
A genius may not be matured enof 4 d challenges in uni,university is 4 adults not children,dnt rush children in2 adulthood because dey r brilliant

2 Likes

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 26, 2014
When you're older, you'd wish you had

1 Like

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 26, 2014
Manipulate the thing and don't dull yourself.
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Dubby6(m): 11:11am On Aug 26, 2014
Age aint gat nothing to do with maturity

1 Like

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by TrebleChamp(m): 11:30am On Aug 26, 2014
The share feature kind da make sense, i won't have seen this interesting topic. Thanks oga seun for sharing.
To the topic:
I think the age restriction is good as I don't see a 13years old surviving on their own in our public universities, except if the parents will be taking them to school and back daily. Maybe they can in schools like Babcock, Convenant and co but definitely not in public universities.
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by zyzxx(m): 12:11pm On Aug 26, 2014
I learnt that there is a standard for secondary school before, because then I was ask if my hand did not touch my ear something like that, that am not qualify, but now such law did not hold again. I believe university standard need a change too.
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by DBounty(m): 12:28pm On Aug 26, 2014
Thanks to all who responded to my dilema on admission age limit. I think institutions should have a rethink on dis issue cos dis youngsters are capable of Xtra ordinary performance when compared with adults whose mind is already clouded with thoughts. Imagine a 23yr old just gainning admission when her friend is giving out wedding IV as a Corper. The kid in question will be 16 next March. Well, I'm having the same thought with Leonard509.THANKS TO U ALL.

1 Like

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by leonard509(m): 12:47pm On Aug 26, 2014
DBounty: Well, I'm having the same thought with Leonard509.THANKS TO U ALL.
Good !
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Aug 26, 2014
I don't think age should be a restriction.
If the child is/was smart enough to pass WAEC/JAMB, then they should let him/her proceed.
It's left for the parent and guardian to give proper orientation to the child.

I was speaking to my lil cousin on fone yesterday and I asked her to remind me her class she said JSS3 going on Ss1
I had to remind myself that dis girl was born 2003, but I decided to ask her to be sure. She confirmed it and said 'I want to be like you'...I said 'nahhh, not me baby, I wasn't 11 in SS1 ,give the fone to ur mum'...lol
I wanted to understand why my aunt was pushing the girl so fast.

2 Likes

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by khadaffi(m): 2:50pm On Aug 26, 2014
If we look at it from the educational perspective, what the institution are doing is right. We should be asking the question "how come a 13 year old is holding an SSCE result? " How is that possible? If you start primary one (or whatever its called now) at 3years of age. You should finish secondary school at 14 or 15yrs. Someone told me 2yrs can be in pry one but I have not seen this.

What is actually happening is that these children are skipping classes. It is wrong for a child to skip any class simply because the parent assumes the child is smart. If not that the elementary education in Nig is now a joke, why would such things happens unabated. The same students gets to the university and no matter how smart or high the GPA is, the student completes every level in the institution

So here is my take. If the parent of the child wants the child in the institution at all costs, it is very possible even if the child is 10yrs old.

In this same country we have people who don't even enter classroom for one day only for them to be issued certificate at the end of the final year.

I don't see this law changing anytime soon but people can always find a way around it
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by crudedude(m): 2:54pm On Aug 26, 2014
We forget that some of these kids are being pushed by parents and wards. I can assure you that over 65% of 'under age' undergrads fall in this category. A minute few are geniuses in the real sense.

Have you been to an exam centre in recent times? you see parents holding their children to cross the road and are willing to pay all payables for 'runs' to be given to their kids Post Ume is the same drama. Do you think 'admission buying' is done more by students? a greater number is with the express knowledge and support of parents.

I fully endorse this age requirement. If you must break it go to a private school.

But eh...what's the fuss with entering uni by 16?

16 + 4 + 1 (nysc) + 1 (unnecessary delays if any) = 21/22 years. Most entry level jobs have an age limit of 25/26 so what's the fuss about?

2 Likes

Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 26, 2014
crudedude: We forget that some of these kids are being pushed by parents and wards. I can assure you that over 65% of 'under age' undergrads fall in this category. A minute few are geniuses in the real sense.

Have you been to an exam centre in recent times? you see parents holding their children to cross the road and are willing to pay all payables for 'runs' to be given to their kids Post Ume is the same drama. Do you think 'admission buying' is done more by students? a greater number is with the express knowledge and support of parents.

I fully endorse this age requirement. If you must break it go to a private school.

But eh...what's the fuss with entering uni by 16?

16 + 4 + 1 (nysc) + 1 (unnecessary delays if any) = 21/22 years. Most entry level jobs have an age limit of 25/26 so what's the fuss about?
Most entry level jobs don't recruit yearly, and some people prefer to do their masters first before working.
If the entire system was correct 16 years would have been ok but we know Nigeria and the way she delays her youths.
ASUU and NYSC must take at least almost 2 yrs.
If the system was right, a child enters the uni for a four year course at 16, graduates at 20, goes for his masters at 21 graduates with his MSc at 23 then he or she can get professional training in his/her industry of choice. Then at 25 he is already productive,...Ask yourself how old was our past leaders when they held vital offices?...
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by crudedude(m): 11:16pm On Aug 26, 2014
PrinceofParis:
Most entry level jobs don't recruit yearly, and some people prefer to do their masters first before working.
If the entire system was correct 16 years would have been ok but we know Nigeria and the way she delays her youths.
ASUU and NYSC must take at least almost 2 yrs.
If the system was right, a child enters the uni for a four year course at 16, graduates at 20, goes for his masters at 21 graduates with his MSc at 23 then he or she can get professional training in his/her industry of choice. Then at 25 he is already productive,...Ask yourself how old was our past leaders when they held vital offices?...

so we should clamour more for a reduction in the age requirement or a better educational system?
Re: AGE Restriction For Admission: What Can I Do? by GBR1(m): 1:09am On Aug 27, 2014
Op, select OAU as your choice of institution. There is no age limit. I got admitted at the age of 15 and during my screening i met some chaps who were atleast a year younger than me. Provided you can gain admission, you are qualified.

(1) (Reply)

Senate Backs ASUU, Asks Nigerian Govt To Resolve Issues / Maduka University, Welcomes Pioneer Students For 2023/2024 Academic Journey / What's The Highest Jamb Score U've Seen So Far?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.