Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,595 members, 7,809,155 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:45 AM

$10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids (23454 Views)

Black Rhino, Dangote Conclude Plans To Invest $10bn In Kano, South East IPP / 50000MT Of LPFO Ex-escravos Allocation For Sale @ N67.00/ Litre Net / $10bn Annual Remittance By Nigerians In Diaspora – Western Union (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 27, 2014
735i: The same mistakes we made in the '60's we are making again now.
Why on earth should Chevron Nig Limited have 70% stake and NNPC just 15%?
Who is signing off these contracts?

Our corrupt leaders

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by Reference(m): 4:14pm On Aug 27, 2014

NNPC should have 0%. What is NNPC. Who is NNPC.

1 Like

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by HandOfChukwu: 4:16pm On Aug 27, 2014
atlwireles:

You are commenting on the wrong thread.
NO, you are the one who is commenting in the wrong thread, you should be in the GEJ d1ckriding thread instead.

1 Like

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by MoyoGENERAL: 4:19pm On Aug 27, 2014
If NNPC should get up to 50% of the stakes.....the project will crumble within a short time!!!!
those stakes covers for capital expenditures, operating expenditures, revenue sharing and some other logistics...
have you checked the assets( wells) shell sold to NNPC...recently, how many of them are up to full production capacity!!!!or how many of our so called NNPC controlled refinery work even up to 55% production capacity( NB...for your info. do you know that 40% production refinery staffs just go to work to clock cards, without doing much just because of equipments aren't working)
the truth needs to be told, we are lacking in manpower and technical expertise, the core jobs as regards exploration and production of oil are still done by expatriates.... why? because naija just can't( for the main time)...
...check sassol in S/Africa or shell Qatar....the multinational coys just have the competence!!!
....so if you ask me, if chevron get 90% now....its better...cos it will be efficient!!!!

3 Likes

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by AroOkigbo(m): 4:19pm On Aug 27, 2014
HNosegbe:

So it cost almost $10billion to construct this plant in Nigeria, yet cost just about one-eighth of the amount for a similar-sized plant in Qatar? undecided

Even when you account for the time value of money over 8 years at the rate of 10%, $1.2 billion amounts to less than $1.5 billion (or thereabouts).

The cost of doing business in Nigeria ehn...
You are right to an extent- but note the following:
Unlike in Qatar,
1. EGTL is built on a reclaimed land (you don't want to know how many cubic feet of sand was used)
2. The modules were fabricated in Qatar, Korea, etc and shipped to Nigeria. A new wharf had to be built to take these heavy modules. Moreover, the low water depth meant the sea had to be dredged to take heavy ships.
3. Location. Escravos is only accessible by air or water. A lot of money was spent on flying staff and contactors from Warri and Lagos. Aero contractors, Arik and other airlines made a lot of money. Logistics took a good chunk of the cost of the project.
4. Converting gas to liquid is a whole new technology owned by Sasol. Chevron spent a lot to train operators in SA, US and Qatar. Over 200 people were trained at a point...with some trainees spending over 3yrs in SA.
5. Power supply. A brand new power plant had to be built to take care of energy requirements. And believe me, the energy requirement is high.
6. etc...etc. I don't want to talk about money spent to settle communities, ...and govt. big boys to keep the project going. Uduagha must be commended though. ..without him, the project would have been cancelled by the senate midway.

The GT Diesel and naphtha produced will be exported...100%. Our trucks cannot run on that quality of diesel. So don't expect the price of diesel ever coming down as a result of this project.

9 Likes

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by omoredia: 4:21pm On Aug 27, 2014
$%^

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by Ahmeduana(m): 4:22pm On Aug 27, 2014
Rich4god: Nice one... I hope this will improve our economy on the high side and not get abandoned after some period...
MORE MONEY MORE PROBLEM.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by atlwireles: 4:24pm On Aug 27, 2014
HandOfChukwu: NO, you are the one who is commenting in the wrong thread, you should be in the GEJ d1ckriding thread instead.

That's what this thread is about. That's why I opened it. Now go and look for a thread for almajirs, janjaw**eed, and Boko haram supporters. Where you can vent your hate and anger.

1 Like

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by MoyoGENERAL: 4:27pm On Aug 27, 2014
[color=#770077][/color][quote author=atlwireles]Nigeria has joined a small group of nations including Qatar, South Africa, Malaysia and Australia that operate hi-tech Gas to Liquid (GTL) plants, as the Chevron owned Escravos GTL has produced its first liquids, after being behind schedule for several years.

The plant would allow Nigeria to perform a leading role in an advanced sector of the energy and fuel market.

“We recently achieved a major milestone at our Escravos gas to liquids plant with the production of GTL diesel and naphtha. We anticipate continued ramp-up in first product lifting later this year,” said George Kirkland, Vice Chairman and Executive Vice President-Upstream and Gas, at Chevron Corp., during the company’s Q2 Earnings conference call.

Chevron partnered with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) to build the GTL plant designed to convert 325 million cubic feet of natural gas per day, into 33,000 barrels of liquids—principally synthetic diesel.

When completed, the plant is expected to supply clean-burning, low-sulphur diesel fuel for cars and trucks.

The key component of the gas-to-liquids conversion is the Fischer-Tropsch reaction, pioneered by German scientists Franz Fischer and Hans Tropsch almost a century ago.

The Escravos GTL project had been severally delayed and capital expenditure on it is approaching $10 billion, according to Chevron.

This compares with the $1.2 billion that was spent on the 34,000 bpd Oryx GTL in Qatar, a similar project in terms of technology and capacity, which was inaugurated in 2006.

The Slurry Phase Distillate technology developed by Sasol and utilised at the Oryx project is also in use at the Escravos GTL project.

The Escravos GTL project will also produce kerosene and LPG – with the kerosene providing the nation with premium transportation fuel to produce jet fuel for aviation.

The products are expected to offset some oil product imports.

Nigeria spent N192 billion ($1.18 billion) to import refined petroleum products in the first quarter of 2014, according to data from the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS).

The business rationale behind the GTL project is based on the wide differential between gas and liquids (crude oil) pricing, which Chevron believes will persist over the long-term.

Global GTL production has the potential to deliver the equivalent of 32 billion barrels of liquids, or about a year’s worth of global oil demand, Bernstein analysts wrote in a November report titled “What if Small-Scale Gas to Liquids Was the Next Shale Gas? Are We on the Verge Of Another Energy Revolution?”

A pre-feasibility study of Escravos GTL was conducted in April 1998, followed by an engineering feasibility study.

The Front-End Engineering and Design (FEED) were completed in 2002.

The same year, agreements between Chevron Corporation, Sasol, and NNPC were signed.

The construction contract was awarded in April 2005 to a consortium of JGC, KBR and Snamprogetti.

Chevron Nigeria Limited has a 75 percent stake in the GTL projects, the NNPC 15 percent and Sasol 10 percent, while there are plans to expand the EGTL capacity to 120,000 b/d within 10 years.

PATRICK ATUANYA

http://businessdayonline.com/2014/08/10bn-chevron-escravos-gtl-produces-first-liquids[/quotes]
...edited...removed...
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by DoTheNeedful: 4:28pm On Aug 27, 2014
atlwireles:

How is that?

Indirectly. angry
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by MoyoGENERAL: 4:29pm On Aug 27, 2014
AroOkigbo:
Unlike in Qatar,
1. EGTL is built on a reclaimed land (you don't want to know how many cubic feet of sand was used)
2. The modules were fabricated in Qatar, Korea, etc and shipped to Nigeria. A new wharf had to be built to take these heavy modules. Moreover, the low water depth meant the sea had to be dredged to take heavy ships.
3. Location. Escravos is only accessible by air or water. A lot of money was spent on flying staff and contactors from Warri and Lagos. Aero contractors, Arik and other airlines made a lot of money. Logistics took a good chunk of the cost of the project.
4. Converting gas to liquid is a whole new technology owned by Sasol. Chevron spent a lot to train operators in SA, US and Qatar. Over 200 people were trained at a point...with some trainees spending over 3yrs in SA.
5. Power supply. A brand new power plant had to be built to take care of energy requirements. And believe me, the energy requirement is high.
6. etc...etc. I don't want to talk about money spent to settle communities, ...and govt. big boys to keep the project going. Uduagha must be commended though. ..without him, the project would have been cancelled by the senate midway.

The GT Diesel and naphtha produced will be exported...100%. Our trucks cannot run on that quality of diesel. So don't expect the price of diesel ever coming down as a result of this project.
guy you sabi....meat dey your head!!!
lol

2 Likes

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by iamord(m): 4:30pm On Aug 27, 2014
atlwireles:

NNPC brings zero to the table, their only claim to some shares here, is title/ownership of the mineral rights.

U have Said it all! And This is what annoys me with african countries. Nigeria first commercial oil discovery was around 1957 , to date makes up to about 57 years, 100s of billion of dollars has been made in the process, what has stopped the government that claims to be against neo colonasim from setting up like. 20 year plan that will ensure the right Structures r in place, making research a university for this sector revamping NNPC to make it world standard so that from then on they can also undertake in oil exploration in other african countries single handly. Same goes To. Ghana, am so ashamed of what we have turned into today.. The 15 percent is big money. But its change compared to the amount Shell and co will take out.. Then people will still fap unto that 15 percent again!!! Its a shame.. We wtill seeing the same old things

1 Like 1 Share

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 27, 2014
AroOkigbo:
Unlike in Qatar,

So the diesel is not intended for the domestic market? Interesting.

Your detailed explanation still highlights the infrastructure and human capital deficit problems that Nigeria faces, which reinforces my point about the high cost of doing business in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by MidasT(m): 4:33pm On Aug 27, 2014
Blockus:

You sound like a vulcaniser.
Chai! Gift vulcanizers with some intelligence; they are not all hollow as that guy sound.

1 Like

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by atlwireles: 4:36pm On Aug 27, 2014
MoyoGENERAL: [color=#770077][/color]
na wa for your facts oooo Mr Patrick atuanya @ business day..
how come shell GTL qatar .....come be 34,000bpd.....
don't just give us wrong info and expect all to accept it hook line and sinker!!!...

Is shell GTL Qatar the same thing as Oryx GTL Qatar?
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by iamord(m): 4:41pm On Aug 27, 2014
atlwireles:

NNPC as usual might not have even contributed one kobo to this project.

Na Land dem bring come and make connections with tribal leaders and political elites to chop. Not forgetting the militants.. Their cut dey inside..

U see the only difference between slavery era and now is that we deal in oil and not humans.. The trade pattern has been the same
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by iamord(m): 4:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
HNosegbe:

So the diesel is not intended for the domestic market? Interesting.

Your detailed explanation still highlights the infrastructure and human capital deficit problems that Nigeria faces, which reinforces my point about the high cost of doing business in Nigeria.

I sum up everything into one

CORRUPTION
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by atlwireles: 4:48pm On Aug 27, 2014
iamord:

Na Land dem bring come and make connections with tribal leaders and political elites to chop. Not forgetting the militants.. Their cut dey inside..

U see the only difference between slavery era and now is that we deal in oil and not humans.. The trade pattern has been the same

Nigerians and the people that ran NNPC for years refused to learn. The day we come to the understanding, and close NNPC down, then allow private companies both local and international, manage our oil sector. We will come to realise, what a waste NNPC has been for 40 years.

1 Like

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by iamord(m): 4:57pm On Aug 27, 2014
atlwireles:

Nigerians and the people that ran NNPC for years refused to learn. The day we come to the understanding, and close NNPC down, then allow private companies both local and international, manage our oil sector. We will come to realise, what a waste NNPC has been for 40 years.

I believe in the african dream.. But sadly you are right! We keep proving that we can't do it..even when we say we can.. I mean what's the use of nnpc anyway. A ministry should just be created to ensure the oil and gas sector policies and followed and monitor the likes of shell etc, cos NNPC is just a puppet for making money.. but at that the truth is that we don't really own our Economy... Chai!!! U know what this picture creates in my mind??

Our leaders and we as a people have shot ourselves in the foot!!!
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by lonelydora: 4:57pm On Aug 27, 2014
Good business
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 27, 2014
Gej till I leave this world
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by arbitrage: 5:00pm On Aug 27, 2014
atlwireles:

Is shell GTL Qatar the same thing as Oryx GTL Qatar?

No, Shell's Pearl GTL in Ras Lafan, Qatar is the world's largest GTL plant in capacity (size and production per day) and was completed on schedule after Orxy GTL (owned by Qatar Petroleum and Sasol of South Africa, the licensor of the GTL technology). ExxonMobil planned to build the largest then in the same Ras Lafan industrial city of Qatar but canceled their plan before Shell became the biggest.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by atlwireles: 5:03pm On Aug 27, 2014
iamord:

I believe in the african dream.. But sadly you are right! We keep proving that we can't do it..even when we say we can.. I mean what's the use of nnpc anyway. A ministry should just be created to ensure the oil and gas sector policies and followed and monitor the likes of shell etc, cos NNPC is just a puppet for making money.. but at that the truth is that we don't really own our Economy... Chai!!! U know what this picture creates in my mind??

Our leaders and we as a people have shot ourselves in the foot!!!

We can do it, just not under a government lead framework. Allow the African private sector lead, they have proven themselves in Nigeria already with their marginal wells. Lots of small companies doing way better than NNPC in the oil sector.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by atlwireles: 5:05pm On Aug 27, 2014
arbitrage:

No, Shell's Pearl GTL in Ras Lafan, Qatar is the world's largest GTL plant in capacity (size and production per day) and was completed on schedule after Orxy GTL, which is owned by Qatar Petroleum and Sasol of South Africa, the licence owner of the GTL technology. ExxonMobil planned to build the largest then in the sane Ras Lafan industrial city of Qatar but canceled their plan before Shell became the biggest.

ok
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by iamord(m): 5:06pm On Aug 27, 2014
atlwireles:

We can do it, just not under a government lead framework. Allow the African private sector lead, they have proven themselves in Nigeria already with their marginal wells. Lots of small companies doing way better than NNPC in the oil sector.

But can you tell me one that is big enough to handle these kind of project . Like how shell does?
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by nijanigga: 5:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
Rich4god: Nice one... I hope this will improve our economy on the high side and not get abandoned after some period...
why are u so gullible? everything good for all Nigerians will as usual be sabotage by greed and corruption,this will not have impact on the common masses,either.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by HandOfChukwu: 5:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
atlwireles:

That's what this thread is about. That's why I opened it. Now go and look for a thread for almajirs, janjaw**eed, and Boko haram supporters. Where you can vent your hate and anger.
I feel sorry for your mudda.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by atlwireles: 5:10pm On Aug 27, 2014
iamord:

But can you tell me one that is big enough to handle these kind of project . Like how shell does?

None at the moment, but combined 4 of small companies today, then we have a new football game. They are completed excluded from the big game right now. NNPC is taking that spot and doing nothing with it.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by TheAlchemist: 5:17pm On Aug 27, 2014
PassingShot: "The Escravos GTL project had been severally delayed and capital expenditure on it is approaching $10 billion, according to Chevron.

This compares with the $1.2 billion that was spent on the 34,000 bpd Oryx GTL in Qatar, a similar project in terms of technology and capacity, which was inaugurated in 2006".

It is in GEJ voice not inflation, but ordinary stealing
Please let someone explain what this means.

A typo or what? Inflation or "stealing"?

Anyway, congrats that we're finally getting there.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 27, 2014
These American companies operating in Nigeria are actually richer than Nigeria and Nigerians put together. Chevron Nig Limited have 70% stake and NNPC just 15%?
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by Chibokgame: 5:37pm On Aug 27, 2014
And what has the former president Obasanjo has to say ?

This is really a goodnews
brought about by Goodluck .
God bless Nigeria & Nigerians .
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by cecegorz(m): 5:50pm On Aug 27, 2014

It's crazy my brother.
My heart skipped when I saw this. We still got played in the Millennium. We need to have a minimum of 51% in this venture.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

May 29: SURE-P Winds Down, Sacks Staff / Court Seals Popular Shopping Mall In Abuja / Widespread Cash Supply Shortage Persists In Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.