Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,146 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

$10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids (23468 Views)

Black Rhino, Dangote Conclude Plans To Invest $10bn In Kano, South East IPP / 50000MT Of LPFO Ex-escravos Allocation For Sale @ N67.00/ Litre Net / $10bn Annual Remittance By Nigerians In Diaspora – Western Union (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by tirtimy: 5:55pm On Aug 27, 2014
arbitrage:
No, Shell's Pearl GTL in Ras Lafan, Qatar is the world's largest GTL plant in capacity (size and production per day) and was completed on schedule after Orxy GTL (owned by Qatar Petroleum and Sasol of South Africa, the licensor of the GTL technology). ExxonMobil planned to build the largest then in the same Ras Lafan industrial city of Qatar but canceled their plan before Shell became the biggest.
J12:

Whats there to celebrate apart from the waste of scarce funds? The money wasted on this project will be used to build about five of the same capacity. Nonsense
It doesn't matter how the project cost at the beginning, the total cost of the construction is what matters. It was completed for $10 billion, the pearl GTL cost more.

From Wikpedia,

Pearl GTL: In February 2007, the same week that ExxonMobil decided to cancel its GTL plans, Shell held a groundbreaking ceremony for its Pearl GTL project. The Pearl plant is 51% owned by QP, though Shell will act as the operator of the project with a 49% stake. The facility is expected to use 1.6 billion cubic feet (45 million cubic metres) of natural gas feedstock per day to produce 140,000 barrels per day (22,000 m3/d) of GTL products as well as 120,000 barrels per day (19,000 m3/d) of associated condensate and LPG. Pearl GTL will be developed in phases, with 70,000 barrels per day (11,000 m3/d) of GTL product capacity expected by 2010 and a second phase expected in 2011. Like the Palm GTL Shell's Pearl GTL has experienced significant cost escalation. Originally estimated at $4 billion, industry sources believe Pearl GTL will now cost between $12 and $18 billion. Pearl GTL will be the first integrated GTL operation in the world, meaning it will have upstream natural gas production integrated with the onshore conversion plant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas_in_Qatar
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by Rich4god(m): 6:20pm On Aug 27, 2014
nijanigga:
why are u so gullible? everything good for all Nigerians will as usual be sabotage by greed and corruption,this will not have impact on the common masses,either.
SMH... Why tag me with "gullibility"... If you are sensible as you claim, how come you didnt notice the "gullibility" of this you reply before you post... More over, not all projects in 9ja ends up in the drain.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by eyennyin: 6:24pm On Aug 27, 2014
Lol at Nija . Read "confession of an economic hitman 'and u will understand how these things play out. The imperialist rep by chevron collaborate with Nija theives rep by nnpc to fix the value at $10b. The actual price is $1.2- $1.5m. They share it 75% and 15% resp. Nija taxpayers bring in $1.5m or 15% of JV funding. So Nija just built the whole 100% project and hand it over to the hitmen rep by chevron. They smile to their bank with 75% loot and a major shareholding. That's the lot of an African.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by pazienza(m): 6:26pm On Aug 27, 2014
So, Qatar has a 51 percent stake in their own, while pathetic and foolish Nigeria only has a 15% stake in the one in Delta, and folks are rejoicing?

So much for giant of Africa. *smh*

1 Like

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by atlwireles: 6:35pm On Aug 27, 2014
pazienza: So, Qatar has a 51 percent stake in their own, while pathetic and foolish Nigeria only has a 15% stake in the one in Delta, and folks are rejoicing?

So much for giant of Africa. *smh*

What are you doing with the 100% stake in the warri, portharcort and Kaduna refineries. Better a functioning infrastructure, than a giant wasteland.

2 Likes

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by addictiv(m): 6:36pm On Aug 27, 2014
J12:

Whats there to celebrate apart from the waste of scarce funds? The money wasted on this project will be used to build about five of the same capacity. Nonsense
Gbam!!!
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by addictiv(m): 6:38pm On Aug 27, 2014
eyennyin: Lol at Nija . Read "confession of an economic hitman 'and u will understand how these things play out. The imperialist rep by chevron collaborate with Nija theives rep by nnpc to fix the value at $10b. The actual price is $1.2- $1.5m. They share it 75% and 15% resp. Nija taxpayers bring in $1.5m or 15% of JV funding. So Nija just built the whole 100% project and hand it over to the hitmen rep by chevron. They smile to their bank with 75% loot and a major shareholding. That's the lot of an African.
unfortunately this is the truth

1 Like

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by pazienza(m): 6:41pm On Aug 27, 2014
atlwireles:

What are you doing with the 100% stake in the warri, portharcort and Kaduna refineries. Better a functioning infrastructure, than a giant wasteland.

In other words, Nigeria is a grown up man that can't take care of him self,but requires the white man to do that for him. Choi! What a shame, common Qatar can do better than the so called giant of Africa 15%.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by atlwireles: 6:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
pazienza:

In other words, Nigeria is a grown up man that can't take care of him self,but requires the white man to do that for him. Choi! What a shame, common Qatar can do better than the so called giant of Africa 15%.

Your analogy is misplaced here, I want to see functioning enterprises in the oil industry, not National pride. Qatar does better, because they have the cash needed to support this kind of investments. Nigeria does not, we cannot even meet our cash call JVC obligations on our signed PSC. Where are you going to get the billions you need?
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by pazienza(m): 7:10pm On Aug 27, 2014
atlwireles:

Your analogy is misplaced here, I want to see functioning enterprises in the oil industry, not National pride. Qatar does better, because they have the cash needed to support this kind of investments. Nigeria does not, we cannot even meet our cash call JVC obligations on our signed PSC. Where are you going to get the billions you need?

We dont have the billions you say, but Abacha and other past looters(rulers) have those billions stashed in their swiss bank accounts. If Qatar leaders did the same,would Qatar be able to afford the billions that enabled them to have the 51% stake they do now.

1 Like

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by atlwireles: 7:15pm On Aug 27, 2014
pazienza:

We dont have the billions you say, but Abacha and other past looters(rulers) have those billions stashed in their swiss bank accounts. If Qatar leaders did the same,would Qatar be able to afford the billions that enabled them to have the 51% stake.

Qatar leaders do the same, because Qatar is their personal kingdom, nobody asks any question. Also, their revenue profile and that of Nigeria is almost day and Night. They have billions to spend, we don't even have enough to build roads. Allow private investor take over this projects and Nigeria government via NNPC, should just sit in the corner collecting their royalties and Petroleum taxes.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by sunnyprof: 7:16pm On Aug 27, 2014
It will survive because its more privately owned than Government NONsense Nigeria Petroleum chopping (NNPC). Else it will do more TAM than Production.

This Project was not done by GEJ administration, it was fully financed a decade ago. FEED alone had taken 40% of original cost and Procurement of all Component and Piping is another 30%, The Construction started since 5 years ago is just finished last year.

No Oil and Gas Project had been initiated in GEJ period. He needs to do something about Brass LNG, Bayelsa Refinery, IPP's etc.

All the so called Projects we have currently were the Kupolokun National Gas Plan even all the current IPPs.

2 Likes

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by acqiusitions042(m): 7:20pm On Aug 27, 2014
room089: Will this create more jobs for the ever teeming population of graduates in Nigeria?
no... it will provide jobs for the teeming Zimbabwean youth. undecided angry

3 Likes

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by pazienza(m): 7:44pm On Aug 27, 2014
atlwireles:

Qatar leaders do the same, because Qatar is their personal kingdom, nobody asks any question. Also, their revenue profile and that of Nigeria is almost day and Night. They have billions to spend, we don't even have enough to build roads. Allow private investor take over this projects and Nigeria government via NNPC, should just sit in the corner collecting their royalties and Petroleum taxes.

You have a point.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by room089: 7:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
acqiusitions042: no... it will provide jobs for the teeming Zimbabwean youth. undecided angry

I love that grin grin grin
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by iamord(m): 8:50pm On Aug 27, 2014
eyennyin: Lol at Nija . Read "confession of an economic hitman 'and u will understand how these things play out. The imperialist rep by chevron collaborate with Nija theives rep by nnpc to fix the value at $10b. The actual price is $1.2- $1.5m. They share it 75% and 15% resp. Nija taxpayers bring in $1.5m or 15% of JV funding. So Nija just built the whole 100% project and hand it over to the hitmen rep by chevron. They smile to their bank with 75% loot and a major shareholding. That's the lot of an African.

You are right but this below is the main reason why such happens

2 Likes

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by olumuyiolaoluwa: 9:40pm On Aug 27, 2014
AroOkigbo:
You are right to an extent- but note the following:
Unlike in Qatar,
1. EGTL is built on a reclaimed land (you don't want to know how many cubic feet of sand was used)
2. The modules were fabricated in Qatar, Korea, etc and shipped to Nigeria. A new wharf had to be built to take these heavy modules. Moreover, the low water depth meant the sea had to be dredged to take heavy ships.
3. Location. Escravos is only accessible by air or water. A lot of money was spent on flying staff and contactors from Warri and Lagos. Aero contractors, Arik and other airlines made a lot of money. Logistics took a good chunk of the cost of the project.
4. Converting gas to liquid is a whole new technology owned by Sasol. Chevron spent a lot to train operators in SA, US and Qatar. Over 200 people were trained at a point...with some trainees spending over 3yrs in SA.
5. Power supply. A brand new power plant had to be built to take care of energy requirements. And believe me, the energy requirement is high.
6. etc...etc. I don't want to talk about money spent to settle communities, ...and govt. big boys to keep the project going. Uduagha must be commended though. ..without him, the project would have been cancelled by the senate midway.

The GT Diesel and naphtha produced will be exported...100%. Our trucks cannot run on that quality of diesel. So don't expect the price of diesel ever coming down as a result of this project.
yea most reactors there were fabricated in korea as u said, SGS were also there for calibration whatever.but Julius berger also played a very vital role at the EGTL yard there.this project have started long ago thank God they finally completed it now but my question is the flaring don't know if they have stoped it?

1 Like

Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by olumuyiolaoluwa: 9:58pm On Aug 27, 2014
Chibokgame: And what has the former president Obasanjo has to say ?

This is really a goodnews
brought about by Goodluck .
God bless Nigeria & Nigerians .
this project started during his regime bros. ...So pls don't bring dat.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by AroOkigbo(m): 9:59pm On Aug 27, 2014
Billyonaire: These American companies operating in Nigeria are actually richer than Nigeria and Nigerians put together. Chevron Nig Limited have 70% stake and NNPC just 15%?
Don't worry. The ratio will change after chevron has recouped the initial capital it ploughed into the project.
If chevron was waiting on NNPC, we will not be here to celebrate this success.
Na naija things naa.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by MoyoGENERAL: 10:00pm On Aug 27, 2014
atlwireles:

Is shell GTL Qatar the same thing as Oryx GTL Qatar?
I salute ppl like you with the courage to painstakingly verify facts!!!
I apologize for my oversight....to everyone and to Mr Patrick( this day)....
his information is very correct!!!!!!
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by AroOkigbo(m): 10:06pm On Aug 27, 2014
HNosegbe:

So the diesel is not intended for the domestic market? Interesting.

Your detailed explanation still highlights the infrastructure and human capital deficit problems that Nigeria faces, which reinforces my point about the high cost of doing business in Nigeria.
Two reasons the GT Diesel will not be sold in domestic market:
1. The fuel is too clean...I mean almost zero sulphur. Nigeria is yet to fully regulate the sulphur levels in her fuels. Any sulphur level can be virtually sold...the environment suffers!
2. The Diesel is too light. It's good enough to be used for blending diesel of high sulphur...a kind of dilution. ..to make it meet specification. This, of course, is for diesels that are meant to be sold in the the European markets.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by AroOkigbo(m): 10:13pm On Aug 27, 2014
olumuyiolaoluwa: yea most reactors there were fabricated in korea as u said, SGS were also there for calibration whatever.but Julius berger also played a very vital role at the EGTL yard there.this project have started long ago thank God they finally completed it now but my question is the flaring don't know if they have stoped it?
You can't stop gas flaring completely...it's a part of the refining process. Such projects will however reduce the quantity of gas flared to the barest minimum.
Gas monetization will give the government additional excess fund...I can't say whether they will loot it or not.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by olumuyiolaoluwa: 10:27pm On Aug 27, 2014
AroOkigbo:
You can't stop gas flaring completely...it's a part of the refining process. Such projects will however reduce the quantity of gas flared to the barest minimum.
Gas monetization will give the government additional excess fund...I can't say whether they will loot it or not.
yea datz it. I jus hope it is reduced now. Cos they hav bn flaring i mean flaring seriously for years there at EGTL yard.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 27, 2014
AroOkigbo:
Don't worry. The ratio will change after chevron has recouped the initial capital it ploughed into the project.
If chevron was waiting on NNPC, we will not be here to celebrate this success.
Na naija things naa.
Ditto
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by Nobody: 12:01am On Aug 28, 2014
@ OP

Is it larger than the one in South Africa? I wish it is! We have to do things like GIANTS. cheesy grin cool
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by houseoftuition: 1:40am On Aug 28, 2014
You can now get Chartered from the comfort of your own house at www.IcanLectures.com.ng Even if you are new to the Curriculum,with no previous knowledge, it is our diligent commitment and promise to you, that nevertheless, YOU WILL PASS.

Stay in the comfort of your home or office and we'll bring you as perfect an understanding as is humanly possible.
Give us a try and see that these are no mere words.

Regards
The IcanLectures.com.ng Team
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by davidif: 2:37am On Aug 28, 2014
735i: The same mistakes we made in the '60's we are making again now.
Why on earth should Chevron Nig Limited have 70% stake and NNPC just 15%?
Who is signing off these contracts?

I am guessing that based on your comments that you don't have a fundamental knowledge of how businesses operate. There is something called risk and reward. what that means is that If you are going to bear the risk of something then the reward have to be able to compensate for it.

For example, exploration and production could be considered risks because you could explore and not find anything thereby losing all your money. So you do a risk reward analysis to find out if the potential reward you could get from that oil field is going to be big enough to offset your cost and be enough for you to make a lot of money. In other words, are the benefits or profits going to be worth it.

NNPC (the company that claims to represent Nigerians) doesn't really bear any risk that I know of they just show up when you find oil or any natural resources and demand a share. Yet this same companies still have to pay taxes on the money they make (or so i think). What a horrible practice.
At times I feel bad for foreign investors who come to do business in Nigeria because of what they have to go through. I mean the cost of doing business is so bad then you have all the other unnecessary wahala that you have to go through. Chei!!! No wonder a lot of investors find it really risky to invest in Nigeria and even Africa as a whole.
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by naijaspeak(m): 3:27am On Aug 28, 2014
[size=20pt]How many jobs will this new scientific processes generate for the Nigerian job seekers in the country. There are too many jobless graduate on the streets of Nigeria.[/size]
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by One4me: 3:44am On Aug 28, 2014
Re: $10bn Chevron Escravos GTL Produces First Liquids by lorddeni: 4:22am On Aug 28, 2014
atlwireles: [b]

The Escravos GTL project had been severally delayed and capital expenditure on it is approaching $10 billion, according to Chevron.

This compares with the $1.2 billion that was spent on the 34,000 bpd Oryx GTL in Qatar, a similar project in terms of technology and capacity, which was inaugurated in 2006.

The Slurry Phase Distillate technology developed by Sasol and utilised at the Oryx project is also in use at the Escravos GTL project.

The cost differential between the Qatari project and the Escravos one for similar technology and capacity pretty scary tho and only serves to illustrate how much we lose by having an unfavourable business climate. Escravos GTL is not only 8 times more expensive but there's also a spare $400mil. Don't even want to imagine how much more could have been achieved with the $8.5billion if the right system was in place.

One only hopes the government and the IOCs use this GTL option to totally optimise the $2.5bn worth of flared gas annually.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Biz I Can Start With 100,000k / Court Seals Popular Shopping Mall In Abuja / Widespread Cash Supply Shortage Persists In Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.