Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,149 members, 7,811,279 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / . (2995 Views)

Top Ten Naija Ways (are You A Nigerian Or A Naijan?) / "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by EzeEfuna(m): 1:03am On Aug 28, 2014

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by Nobody: 1:10am On Aug 28, 2014
Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh angry
Re: . by Nobody: 1:34am On Aug 28, 2014
Good boy. A patriotic Nigeria albeit not having any 'solid ties' to Nigeria.

Well some of us born in that country called nigeria have since declared ourselves as aliens/stateless/countryless. grin

Good luck

2 Likes

Re: . by Richy4(m): 2:06am On Aug 28, 2014
I never knew people like you existed man. even the ones in NIGERIA that traveled to England for 2weeks on holidays fake British accent till date. and here you are.....?

let me know when you are of age to contest for local govenment chairman. I have never voted in my life. i will come and vote for you because you type is not easy to come by

5 Likes

Re: . by itstpia1: 2:15am On Aug 28, 2014
you're of nigerian heritage, or originally from nigeria (ie your parents are originally from nigeria).

when with nigerians, you're from anambra state.

2 Likes

Re: . by EzeEfuna(m): 2:33am On Aug 28, 2014
Richy4: I never knew people like you existed man. even the ones in NIGERIA that traveled to England for 2weeks on holidays fake British accent till date. and here you are.....?
let me know when you are of age to contest for local govenment chairman. I have never voted in my life. i will come and vote for you because you type is not easy to come by

Thanks, unfortunately, my siblings and mother have condemned me from taking any government position in Nigeria. They claimed, "No Nigerian will vote in an American. They will only vote in real Nigerians."

In the past, I wanted to pursue a government position because I felt like I had enough passion to make Nigeria shine, and show the world the hidden glories of our country. Nigeria has just begun. America didn't become what is is now in 54 years, so why should we assume that Nigeria is a "failed nation" when we haven't had the time to shine as most of the other first world nations? Yes, most of the government is completely corrupted, but we can fix that. If we tell our youths to invest in home, and see that God didn't put us on this Earth for money, then our nation will begin to develop. If you tell the youths that if you develop the nation instead of stealing and embezzling money for yourself will eventually bring mass wealth for our future children, then you will see that Nigeria will begin to change for the better. I am a firm believer that not only Nigeria, but Africa IS the future. We just need to fix our government issues, security issues, and infrastructural issues. Africa is one of the only places in the world where you get to see authentic diverse cultures. I think that preserving our culture will benefit us in the future for various reasons.

I have listened to my siblings though, I'm not necessarily an "authentic Nigerian", as I would have liked to have been, so maybe nobody would vote for me of I decided to take a government position in Nigeria. I guess that it's not meant to happen anyway. But who knows? As my fellow Igbos would say, " Onye ma echi?".

3 Likes

Re: . by itstpia1: 2:39am On Aug 28, 2014
Yes, it would have been easier if you were british perhaps.

However, I think in the SE, american inclined nigerians, have more political say.

1 Like

Re: . by EzeEfuna(m): 2:53am On Aug 28, 2014
itstpia1: Yes, it would have been easier if you were british perhaps.
However, I think in the SE, american inclined nigerians, have more political say.

I'm part British by blood, however I'm not a citizen. I hope that one day all Nigerians will accept me as one of their own. Not just my fellow Igbos in the SE, but also my Nigerians in the north, and my Nigerians in the west. I hope that all Nigerians will eventually accept me. No area is more important in my eyes. I hope that all of the geographic locations and all of the ethnic will accept me, as they're all equally as important to me. Tribalism accomplishespecially nothing but hatred, and God does not want us to hate anyone. That is why I do not hold grudges, and I forgive everyone.
Re: . by itstpia1: 3:34am On Aug 28, 2014
bro, are you hero?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by raumdeuter: 3:36am On Aug 28, 2014
First step go to one of the colleges in Atlanta and find a full blooded Nigerian girl one that still associate with her roots to marry

Then you would begin your Nigerianisation project

2 Likes

Re: . by khiaa(f): 3:41am On Aug 28, 2014
EzeEfuna: I was born in Atlanta Georgia, USA. I was also raised (Being raised) in the US. However, most of my life, I have identified myself as Nigerian, despite where I was born or brought up. I have siblings, and they identify themselves as Americans with Nigerian parents. This slightly does irritate me, but any time I try to say anything, they all slaughter me with insults.

At school, when people ask me where I'm from, I always say Anambra State, Nigeria (As that's where my forefathers are from). However, when they ask me where I was born it's as if time slows completely down. My heart rate increases, and I start sweating. I proceed to tell them where I was born, but they always feel that they have to argue with me, saying that that means that I'm from Atlanta, and not Nigeria. I always tell them that I don't come from Atlanta, because blood isn't of this land. This sometimes forces me to tell some people that I was born in Nigeria (As some of my cousins do) so I wouldn't be viewed as a non-Nigerian, as that breaks my heart.

My siblings constantly argue with me, sometimes randomly asking me where I am from. I always answer, "I am from Anambra State, Nigeria.". Then they say, "No, you are not. You were not born there, and you have never actually lived there. You are not a Nigerian, your parents are. You are nothing more than an American." Of course I cannot combat those statements, as they never let me explain my point. They all yell and scream at me before I explain that we all come from Anambra State.

I'd love to address this issue to my parents, but there's one problem; my mom agrees with my siblings for the most part. When my siblings yell at me about where I come from, my mom yells at me too. Saying that I am not a Nigerian, and Nigeria isn't my home. In fact, the only person that agrees with me is my father, but he's not always around to defend me. This leaves me with nowhere to go and nobody to go to.

All I want is to be viewed as a Nigerian. I learned my native language (mostly), I know my culture, and I know about politics in Nigeria. Unfortunately, this lead to my siblings and mom calling me an "extremist", claiming that I hate the United States, and want to destroy it. That's obviously far from true, I love being an American. But I want to be viewed as a Nigerian-American.

Despite being a male, I have cried many times about this topic. I have prayed, and everything. However, nothing has changed. I'm just tired of this, I know deep down within my heart and spirit that I am a Nigerian, and a proud Igbo. However, it feels as if it's only my imagination, as I'm constantly being told otherwise.

I have argued this point, but they don't seem to understand. I ask them, "Where is our father from?" They reply, "Anambra State". "I then nod my head, and proceed to say, "However, he wasn't born in Anambra State, he was born in Rivers State. They then try to avoid this topic, spewing insults and saying, "It's different, it's in the same country. "

So, I just want to see how other people view this. And I desperately need some form of help... thanks.

Actually you are not Nigerian, Nigeria is a nation that you were neither born in or lived in, face reality you are American rather you like it or not. You didn't say what tribe you were from and that is your true identity. Sorry I missed that, you are Igbo. smiley
Re: . by EzeEfuna(m): 3:49am On Aug 28, 2014
khiaa:
Actually you are not Nigerian, Nigeria is a nation that you were neither born in or lived at, face reality you are American rather you like it or not. You didn't say what tribe you were from and that is your true identity. smiley

I never denied being an American, so I'm already attuned to the "reality" that you're speaking of. If you read my replies to other comments to other answers, it will reveal that I am in fact an Igbo.

I do respect your answer, so thank you.
Re: . by itstpia1: 3:50am On Aug 28, 2014
khiaa:
Actually you are not Nigerian, Nigeria is a nation that you were neither born in or lived at, face reality you are American rather you like it or not. You didn't say what tribe you were from and that is your true identity. smiley

EzeEfuna: I am a . . . proud Igbo

2 Likes

Re: . by EzeEfuna(m): 4:05am On Aug 28, 2014
itstpia1: bro, are you hero?

I'm only doing what I know my God would want me to do.

Also, I will NEVER deny that Nigerians are my people. My father and uncle once told me, "Nweze, you along with other youths of Nigeria will be the ones to fix the nation. Use the knowledge that God has blessed you with, and think of home, because Nigeria is the only place that will hold a permanent home for you."

I have always hung onto those words, and I use it to help me go through everything. I know that I will include Nigeria in my future endeavors, but I'm not exactly sure how a 'non-authentic Nigerian' can change the country.
Re: . by khiaa(f): 4:07am On Aug 28, 2014
EzeEfuna:

I never denied being an American, so I'm already attuned to the "reality" that you're speaking of. If you read my replies to other comments to other answers, it will reveal that I am in fact an Igbo.

I do respect your answer, so thank you.

Sorry I missed where you said you were Igbo, but be gratefull that you know who you are and aren't in the dark about your identity like we Black Americans. sad
Re: . by Nobody: 4:42am On Aug 28, 2014
I know u are liein, pixsure or we don bliv it
Re: . by EzeEfuna(m): 4:48am On Aug 28, 2014
5naira: I know u are liein, pixsure or we don bliv it

What do I have to lie about? What picture is it that you're looking for?
Re: . by kayjasper(f): 5:42am On Aug 28, 2014
jennykadry: Good boy. A patriotic Nigeria albeit not having any 'solid ties' to Nigeria.

Well some of us born in that country called nigeria have since declared ourselves as aliens/stateless/countryless. grin

Good luck

You are still alive? shocked shocked

And still spewing rubbish since 1809

I will come for your fake @$$ again break soon. grin
Re: . by Richy4(m): 7:42am On Aug 28, 2014
EzeEfuna:

Thanks, unfortunately, my siblings and mother have condemned me from taking any government position in Nigeria. They claimed, "No Nigerian will vote in an American. They will only vote in real Nigerians."

In the past, I wanted to pursue a government position because I felt like I had enough passion to make Nigeria shine, and show the world the hidden glories of our country. Nigeria has just begun. America didn't become what is is now in 54 years, so why should we assume that Nigeria is a "failed nation" when we haven't had the time to shine as most of the other first world nations? Yes, most of the government is completely corrupted, but we can fix that. If we tell our youths to invest in home, and see that God didn't put us on this Earth for money, then our nation will begin to develop. If you tell the youths that if you develop the nation instead of stealing and embezzling money for yourself will eventually bring mass wealth for our future children, then you will see that Nigeria will begin to change for the better. I am a firm believer that not only Nigeria, but Africa IS the future. We just need to fix our government issues, security issues, and infrastructural issues. Africa is one of the only places in the world where you get to see authentic diverse cultures. I think that preserving our culture will benefit us in the future for various reasons.

I have listened to my siblings though, I'm not necessarily an "authentic Nigerian", as I would have liked to have been, so maybe nobody would vote for me of I decided to take a government position in Nigeria. I guess that it's not meant to happen anyway. But who knows? As my fellow Igbos would say, " Onye ma echi?".

I know that Nigeria will be okay one day. and I know that it's citizens will be proud to call themselves Nigerians.
The day when the world will truly know who we are instead of the bad images circulating on the internet. the day i will be proud to fly down to my country queue up and cast my vote. I know that that time is not know but it will come one day.

So man who has been teaching you how to write Igbo language. because for you to spell this so well shows that you can speak. right?

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 9:06am On Aug 28, 2014
Nigerian or American?
Ans: Nigerian American

1 Like

Re: . by EzeEfuna(m): 11:31am On Aug 28, 2014
Richy4:

I know that Nigeria will be okay one day. and I know that it's citizens will be proud to call themselves Nigerians.
The day when the world will truly know who we are instead of the bad images circulating on the internet. the day i will be proud to fly down to my country queue up and cast my vote. I know that that time is not know but it will come one day.

So man who has been teaching you how to write Igbo language. because for you to spell this so well shows that you can speak. right?

Yes, and I can't wait for the day that Nigeria will shine. I know that it will eventually happen. All we need is more leaders that care more about their people than their money.

My parents mix it up, sometimes they speak English to me, and sometimes they speak Igbo. Though it's not enough for me to know the language completely, it did help me. Also, I studied Igbo by myself, because I wanted to become a somewhat fluent speaker. So I began to teach myself Igbo, teach myself grammar rules, etc.

Though my Igbo isn't perfect, it's better than a lot of Igbos that weren't brought up in Igboland. I try to teach myself my own dialect, but sometimes it's hard to find it. I love my native language, and my culture, so I don't feel that learning more of the language or more of the culture is a chore. I enjoy it.
Re: . by anonymous6(f): 12:32pm On Aug 28, 2014
EzeEfuna: I was born in Atlanta Georgia, USA. I was also raised (Being raised) in the US. However, most of my life, I have identified myself as Nigerian, despite where I was born or brought up. I have siblings, and they identify themselves as Americans with Nigerian parents. This slightly does irritate me, but any time I try to say anything, they all slaughter me with insults.

At school, when people ask me where I'm from, I always say Anambra State, Nigeria (As that's where my forefathers are from). However, when they ask me where I was born it's as if time slows completely down. My heart rate increases, and I start sweating. I proceed to tell them where I was born, but they always feel that they have to argue with me, saying that that means that I'm from Atlanta, and not Nigeria. I always tell them that I don't come from Atlanta, because blood isn't of this land. This sometimes forces me to tell some people that I was born in Nigeria (As some of my cousins do) so I wouldn't be viewed as a non-Nigerian, as that breaks my heart.

My siblings constantly argue with me, sometimes randomly asking me where I am from. I always answer, "I am from Anambra State, Nigeria.". Then they say, "No, you are not. You were not born there, and you have never actually lived there. You are not a Nigerian, your parents are. You are nothing more than an American." Of course I cannot combat those statements, as they never let me explain my point. They all yell and scream at me before I explain that we all come from Anambra State.

I'd love to address this issue to my parents, but there's one problem; my mom agrees with my siblings for the most part. When my siblings yell at me about where I come from, my mom yells at me too. Saying that I am not a Nigerian, and Nigeria isn't my home. In fact, the only person that agrees with me is my father, but he's not always around to defend me. This leaves me with nowhere to go and nobody to go to.

All I want is to be viewed as a Nigerian. I learned my native language (mostly), I know my culture, and I know about politics in Nigeria. Unfortunately, this lead to my siblings and mom calling me an "extremist", claiming that I hate the United States, and want to destroy it. That's obviously far from true, I love being an American. But I want to be viewed as a Nigerian-American.

Despite being a male, I have cried many times about this topic. I have prayed, and everything. However, nothing has changed. I'm just tired of this, I know deep down within my heart and spirit that I am a Nigerian, and a proud Igbo. However, it feels as if it's only my imagination, as I'm constantly being told otherwise.

I have argued this point, but they don't seem to understand. I ask them, "Where is our father from?" They reply, "Anambra State". "I then nod my head, and proceed to say, "However, he wasn't born in Anambra State, he was born in Rivers State. They then try to avoid this topic, spewing insults and saying, "It's different, it's in the same country. "

So, I just want to see how other people view this. And I desperately need some form of help... thanks.

Well I was born and raised in America from Nigerian parents(Yoruba) and I identify as Nigerian American or American born Nigerian. Under the Nigerian constitution you are considered Nigerian once you are born of Nigerian parents. So in a sense you are american and Nigerian, not only by nationality but by culture. I think it is all right to label yourself Nigerian and be proud of it, at the sametime it is ok for you siblings to label themselves american only. My parents raised me and my siblings in the Nigerian culture but know we were born and raised in America, so by nationality we are american but we are also culturally Nigerian. My parents see all of us as their own culturally. I don't have the issue you have. I have noticed that some immigrant parents regardless of race or ethnicity don't pass down to their kids their cultural identity and some do the reverse like my parents and pass down the culture to their kiss. That's why I see some Nigerian Americans born and raised in America label themselves american only, while others say Nigerian American or at times like you Nigerian. I think you should be happy with how you identify yourself and respect how your siblings identify. Like I said in the Nigerian constitution you are automatically Nigerian to.

Jennifer Lopez was born and raised in America and call herself Puerto Rican American or just Puerto Rican Or the Kennedy family, many of them call themselves Irish American or identify with being Irish while calling themselves America for example.

Nigerian Nationality law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_nationality_law

Nigerian Constitution Chapter 3
"25. (1) The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely-

(a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria;

Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was born in Nigeria.

(b) every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria; and

(c) every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria."

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#Chapter_3
http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

2 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 28, 2014
kayjasper:

You are still alive? shocked shocked

And still spewing rubbish since 1809

I will come for your fake @$$ again break soon. grin

Who be this one? Can't recognize the ID but I shall be waiting for you. cool

@topic

Continue being patriotic @op. Just a taste of boko haram or better still a one on one experience with boko will see ya azz claiming to be American.

Like I said...some of us chose to be countryless.

Nigeria=useless country. cool

1 Like

Re: . by EzeEfuna(m): 1:26pm On Aug 28, 2014
jennykadry:

Who be this one? Can't recognize the ID but I shall be waiting for you. cool

@topic

Continue being patriotic @op. Just a taste of boko haram or better still a one on one experience with boko will see ya azz claiming to be American.

Like I said...some of us chose to be countryless.

Nigeria=useless country. cool

Claiming no ties to Nigeria or not being a Nigerian in the presence of a dangerous extremist group is a complete display of cowardice behavior, something that I will never do, for I am no coward.

Will I claim to be an American? Yes, because it is true. However, I will also claim Nigeria, because I am no coward.

What you are saying resembles what some people do when it comes to God. Some people will praise God only in the good times, when it feels like you are being blessed with the entire world. However, when something bad happens to them, they refuse to praise God, and in fact, curse His name for making their life miserable.

You see, only cowards do such things.

I am not one who will use every excuse, renounced all that I believe just for temporary survival.

Go ahead, continue claiming that Nigeria is a useless country. I see why you would say that, but I beg to differ. You see, people don't usually see good unless they become blinded by bad.

As a wise man once said, "Ome mma, jisike n'olu. Ome njo, wepu aka na njo."

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 28, 2014
EzeEfuna:

Claiming no ties to Nigeria or not being a Nigerian in the presence of a dangerous extremist group is a complete display of cowardice behavior, something that I will never do, for I am no coward.

Will I claim to be an American? Yes, because it is true. However, I will also claim Nigeria, because I am no coward.

What you are saying resembles what some people do when it comes to God. Some people will praise God only in the good times, when it feels like you are being blessed with the entire world. However, when something bad happens to them, they refuse to praise God, and in fact, curse His name for making their life miserable.

You see, only cowards do such things.

I am not one who will use every excuse, renounced all that I believe just for temporary survival.

Go ahead, continue claiming that Nigeria is a useless country. I see why you would say that, but I beg to differ. You see, people don't usually see good unless they become blinded by bad.

As a wise man once said, "Ome mma, jisike n'olu. Ome njo, wepu aka na njo."

Coward? me? And you are just realizing that I am a coward? This is why I said you ain't a nigerian cos every nigerian here knows I am a coward.

Nigeria is useless, a god forsaken country that should be wiped out of the map completely. Useless country it is now bite me stateless azz. kiss

BTW Mr patriotic Nigeria, how many times have you visited your beloveth country Nigeria? Abi na to claim to be a nigerian from America? When last did you see ya village?

Mr patriotic my countryless/stateless/alienated azz cheesy
Re: . by EzeEfuna(m): 2:03pm On Aug 28, 2014
jennykadry:

Coward? me? And you are just realizing that I am a coward? This is why I said you ain't a nigerian cos every nigerian here knows I am a coward.

Nigeria is useless a god forsaken country that should be wiped out of the map completely.

BTW Mr patriotic Nigeria, how many times have you visited your beloveth country Nigeria? Abi na to claim to be a nigerian from America? When last did you see ya village?

Mr patriotic my countryless/stateless/alienated azz cheesy

I never said that you were a coward. I said that the idea of changing your opinionated views in the sense of danger is cowardice. It hasn't been long since I has visited my village, because my dad is living in Nigeria right now for business.

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 2:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
EzeEfuna:

I never said that you were a coward. I said that the idea of changing your opinionated views in the sense of danger is cowardice. It hasn't been long since I has visited my village, because my dad is living in Nigeria right now for business.

Do you visit Nigeria every year?

1 Like

Re: . by itstpia1: 2:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
op

i think you should go to igbo forums like biafraworld or igboville.com if your posts are attracting too much bitterness and negativity here.

This is an open forum with nigerians from different ethnicities and walks of life, jenyykadry's sentiments (shared by many), are intentionally provocative and such comments may be better received and tolerated on the two sites I mentioned.

2 Likes

Re: . by itstpia1: 2:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
summary of the whole matter:

define yourself by what you are, not what you resent people telling you.

reread my first post on the thread- you are of nigerian heritage or originally nigerian through your parents.

When among nigerians from nigeria, you are from your father's state in nigeria.

when among your peers in america (ie same ethnicity), you are american from atlanta.

there is no need to argue the matter endlessly, focus on other things besides all these, there are billions of people on earth with one identity or the other. Its nothing new.

my advice is based on the fact that you said you experience fear (physical reaction) when asked if you're american.

1 Like

Re: . by EzeEfuna(m): 3:01pm On Aug 28, 2014
jennykadry:

Do you visit Nigeria every year?

Sometimes twice.
Re: . by Nobody: 6:05pm On Aug 28, 2014
EzeEfuna:

Sometimes twice.

Do you visit Nigeria EVERY YEAR?
Re: . by EzeEfuna(m): 9:20pm On Aug 28, 2014
jennykadry:

Do you visit Nigeria EVERY YEAR?

Yes, sometimes twice.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oso Owo Todaju Bi Iku, Spiritual Money / I was taught that Oduduwa fell from the sky / Life Growing Up As A Kid In Nigeria:- Funny Things You Did, Lets Hear Them.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.