Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,680 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa (23659 Views)

Ten Amazing Things Many Don’t Know About Africa!!! / 10 Fact About Africa. I Bet No Nairalanders Know These Fact. / Amazing Facts About Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 29, 2014
Pronmix: Same annoying Misconception I hate @Karchisbarbie thinking Africa is one small uncivilized country somewhere. Imagine chatting with some white skin head on Facebook and he kept making statements like "wow you speak good English" and tell me "do you have a pet lion" and being the sarcastic id10t I am lol I kept feeding his stupidity more even told him my family is into lion rearing, that it is our family business. The id10t would call somebody's name and ask if I know him. I'll be like wtf we learn about you fools in school don't they teach yous about us?.
grin grin grin grin you are not alone bro.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by dokunbam(m): 10:00am On Aug 29, 2014
Some Africans have never seen a Lion, infact we lack Lions in Nigeria. some zoo here dont have lion.

We have nairaland sha
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by delishpot: 10:13am On Aug 29, 2014
Pronmix: Same annoying Misconception I hate @Karchisbarbie thinking Africa is one small uncivilized country somewhere. Imagine chatting with some white skin head on Facebook and he kept making statements like "wow you speak good English" and tell me "do you have a pet lion" and being the sarcastic id10t I am lol I kept feeding his stupidity more even told him my family is into lion rearing, that it is our family business. The id10t would call somebody's name and ask if I know him. I'll be like wtf we learn about you fools in school don't they teach yous about us?.

Ha ha, true that. I remember a boy of about 12 asking my son where he is from. My 6 yr old said Abuja, he said oh where is that? My son said Africa, he said , oh, o are lions really big? Do you have zebras? And do Tigers come to your house?
My son turned around looked at me and said. Oh boy! what is he talking about?

That is the picture the media shows of Africa. plus, we Africans sef no get better leaders and are busy fighting each other and crime rate is high. lack of development safety and peace will make peopke not come to experience Africa themseles! so, they learn about Africa from the media which does a $hitty job of introducing Africa to the world.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by wildrose21(m): 11:32am On Aug 29, 2014
manck: [size=18pt]

That Nigeria is one country.

Look at the list of former nigeria leader.. they had no university education , so basically nigeria was like animal farm.

Tafawa Balewa ( No university degree)
Major-General Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi ( No university degree)
General Yakubu Gowon ( No university degree)
General Murtala Mohammed ( No university degree)
Major-General Olusegun Obasanjo ( No university degree)
Shehu Shagari ( No university degree)
Major-General Muhammadu Buhari ( No university degree)
General Ibrahim Babangida ( No university degree)
General Sani Abacha ( No university degree)
General Abdulsalami Abubakar ( No university degree)
[/size]
These gentlemen of the force attended military institutions for nothing less than four years- equivalent to a degree... Not to talk of numerous courses abroad (Sandhurst, etc)... So please get your facts right!!!
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Joe88(m): 12:49pm On Aug 29, 2014
In Miami, a kid of not less than ten yrs old once asked me if lions, tigers, snakes, bush animals live with us in Africa. He was probably asking based on what the parents and/or teachers and books have fed him with. I actually told him that he was very right. Maybe i should have taken the pain to enlighten him, but whats the point!
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by naturefellow(m): 8:56pm On Aug 29, 2014
Kachisbarbie: The misconception I hate most is Africa is a country...
When watching all this award shows, you see things like 'Davido from Africa'...
I don't get it, is Davido from the whole of Africa
Leave Britney Spears, that 1 no get sense. E get people wey go talk da kind tin and I would take it personal.

It's so bad that, sometimes if you watch all these movies that deal on travel, they will say 'I'm going to Africa', the next thing you will see is one jeep in desert just like that your pic...

Ah, then the misconception that we feed on donations, oh good Jesus. International celebs always wanna donate something to us...

Anyway, that is their business, me don't even know the difference between US/UK...if they are countries or continents. grin
as a kid still learning about the world, the only places I imagined existed beyond the shores of Nigeria (Africa) were only America, London (from the over-sung nursery 'London Bridge' rhyme) and also India (owing to the influence of popular Bollywood movies back then). Countries in other continents like Brazil, Canada, Scotland, France, Australia, etc, never existed in the world map in my small kindergarten mind. As far as I was concerned, America, London and India was the rest of the world, and every other location falls under their geographical space.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 29, 2014
naturefellow: as a kid still learning about the world, the only places I imagined existed beyond the shores of Nigeria (Africa) were only America, London (from the over-sung nursery 'London Bridge' rhyme) and also India (owing to the influence of popular Bollywood movies back then). Countries in other continents like Brazil, Canada, Scotland, France, Australia, etc, never existed in the world map in my small kindergarten mind. As far as I was concerned, America, London and India was the rest of the world, and every other location falls under their geographical space.
Lol. That's bc you were a kid na...these ones that are saying all these rubbish now aint kids. We expect them to know better.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by SenatorJames(m): 9:03am On Aug 30, 2014
sammoe: Nice thread! When I get back to Africa, I'll type a proper comment.

By then, this should be on front page.
Are you now back to Africa? Help me to greet my people in Liberia, Guinea and Senegal when you get there.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Gynacologist(m): 1:08pm On Sep 03, 2014
Kachisbarbie: The misconception I hate most is Africa is a country...
When watching all this award shows, you see things like 'Davido from Africa'...
I don't get it, is Davido from the whole of Africa
Leave Britney Spears, that 1 no get sense. E get people wey go talk da kind tin and I would take it personal.

It's so bad that, sometimes if you watch all these movies that deal on travel, they will say 'I'm going to Africa', the next thing you will see is one jeep in desert just like that your pic...

Ah, then the misconception that we feed on donations, oh good Jesus. International celebs always wanna donate something to us...

Anyway, that is their business, me don't even know the difference between US/UK...if they are countries or continents. grin
corret g one bottle of hot legend fo u.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Gynacologist(m): 1:12pm On Sep 03, 2014
ednut1: all i knw is africa is fuked angry
just lyk ur amam.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 03, 2014
Gynacologist: corret g one bottle of hot legend fo u.
Nahh, I don't take alcohol biko. You want me to have big stomach ba??
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by laudate: 12:46am On Sep 10, 2014
MsNas:
You sound pained. What exactly is your problem with me? That I'm getting your so called world class education or I'm telling people what Africa is really like? You have serious issues dude and I'm not the one to solve it.

PS: there is no law that states I have to get educated in Nigeria or anywhere else. So I can get educated wherever I wish to. That's a personal decision and not a national one. I wonder how it became a subject in this debate.

No mind am... na bad belle dey worry am. Maybe he tried to get a "world class" education in the country where you are currently studying, and he was denied a visa at the embassy.. undecided.
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by laudate: 12:52am On Sep 10, 2014
zeezahbee: it was when i got to the united states, HOUSTON TEXAS precisely that i found out that some part of nigeria are better. if anyone is familiar with beechnut and bissonet in houston, the road are so bad chaiii sad and sometimes i look around and be like is this the america. I sent some pictures of some places in nigeria to my professor and she was like WOW, she said she believed we are hunger stricken and that maybe some of the international students here in usa are daughters and sons of ''thief thief'' politician. she was like nigeria is a drama country, today its looking for the girls, tommorow its ebola etc. NAIJA I HAIL ooo, but anyways EAST OR WEST, HOME IS THE BEST grin. one love

I understand what you mean. I got to the UK in my teens and discovered homeless people sleeping in the underground stations, some of those areas were stinking to the high heavens.

Poverty, nko? Abeg, leave that side... na another tory be dat oh!
Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by laudate: 12:57am On Sep 10, 2014
HandOfChukwu: Like i said before the company is 60% Nigerian owned. All that sh1t aside if you really want to tie me up and put in a barrel id be more than happy to meet you face to face and play games so just tell me where you are and lets see if we can make this happen...

Leave the 'mugu.' He suffers from self-hatred and a massive inferiority complex, so the only way he can feel good about himself, is to put others down. Just bring him face to face with a Lagos area-boy or one of the ND militants, and you will see how he starts speaking in tongues..

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Misconceptions About Africa by Nobody: 4:46am On Sep 25, 2014
#1 is the absolute worst thing I hate to hear lol! I can't say it enough - it's a continent! After being here for quite a long time ~ I can't even be angry lol - I only educate people on the correct thing! Knowledge is power - some people sincerely really don't know unless you tell them! The different channels on TV show the *not so good* areas or should I say underdeveloped areas so when that's all that is seen versus actually visiting the country - what do you expect?

At the end of the day, every country has the not so good areas and issues! If someone comes to you with a negative point of view on Africa or Nigeria - EDUCATE THEM! You can actually live like a king or queen if not better than in some of these countries outside of Africa! smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Aftermath Of The Fire Incident Along East-west Road Eleme (video) / To Move Back From America Or Not... / My Trip To Kentucky Bourbon Trail | Louisville, KY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.