Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,646 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

Registering Nigerian TLD .ng - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Registering Nigerian TLD .ng (3701 Views)

Which Tld Is Better .com / Com.ng / Why Not A .NG Tld? / Free .ng (nigerian Tld - Top Level Domain) Registration Till ---extended--! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 3:06pm On Aug 28, 2014
Has anyone registered a domain with the .ng TLD? How did you do it, and how much are you paying?

I always end up registering my domains with .com, because of how rétardedly expensive .ng is. Would like to know if I'm looking in the wrong places.

Thanks kiss
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 28, 2014
MissMeiya: Has anyone registered a domain with the .ng TLD? How did you do it, and how much are you paying?

I always end up registering my domains with .com, because of how rétardedly expensive .ng is. Would like to know if I'm looking in the wrong places.

Thanks kiss

Yes I have. I own City.NG and I registered it with Web4Africa. I also have KULUSO.Com.NG and that I ordered via WhoGoHost (i prefer them personally but they are both adequate). You know we have a certain expectation of customer service in the US so we have to adjust for Nigeria situation.

Lately, as you can see in my signature I also have SiteNG.Com as it's far cheaper 99 cents per year versus $100 per year for the NG domain (an extreme highway robbery of the highest order.

1 Like

Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by HostingRehab: 5:35pm On Aug 28, 2014
CityNG:

Yes I have. I own City.NG and I registered it with Web4Africa. I also have KULUSO.Com.NG and that I ordered via WhoGoHost (i prefer them personally but they are both adequate). You know we have a certain expectation of customer service in the US so we have to adjust for Nigeria situation.

Lately, as you can see in my signature I also have SiteNG.Com as it's far cheaper 99 cents per year versus $100 per year for the NG domain (an extreme highway robbery of the highest order.

Daylight extursion

2 Likes

Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 28, 2014
CityNG:

I knew it. Nonsense people. I was arguing bitterly with NIRA on Twitter about it. How do they expect to motivate young internet entrepreneurs in Nigeria? The people who work there are very foolish. Have you seen their website? It's extremely amateur. It makes me angry.

As for your SiteNG.Com (this is a very common hack that we are forced to use), here's what NIRA had to say about it:

Seriously, the people who work at NIRA are idiots.

2 Likes

Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by adewasco2k(m): 7:06pm On Sep 11, 2014
Oh i am not alone on this issue, why on earth is .ng TLD that expensive?

.in for indians go for 99Rs (N264) its a shame.

2 Likes

Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 11, 2014
.ng is too high i bought mine 15,000 per year, thinking of changing my domain name to .com.ng
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by adewasco2k(m): 2:29am On Sep 12, 2014
caoalvin: .ng is too high i bought mine 15,000 per year, thinking of changing my domain name to .com.ng

yea it doesnt go anything less than that range (N15, 000)...i currently have 3 .ng domains and its just killing
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by HostingRehab: 8:08am On Sep 12, 2014
i wish somebody or a company would work out .nig or something with icaan
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 12, 2014
HostingRehab: i wish somebody or a company would work out .nig or something with icaan

.ng is so good though. Think of all the domains that could end in -ing. Like shoppi.ng, dati.ng, etc.

Also, it's the extra characters that make it annoying when we have to settle for .com.ng
or hacks like ---ng.com. In this Twitter age, extra characters matter.

NIRA is wasting .ng's potential.

1 Like

Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Webhost(m): 1:18pm On Sep 12, 2014
Mynaijahost.com is worth trying out. We have been in business since 2006 and there has not been any bad review whatsoever from our clients all of them like our services. We are not too popular because we only sell normal web hosting we are not selling VPS, Dedicated server or even reseller hosting. The reason is because we don't want our server jam packed. Our server is located in Los-Angeles. Our office is in Lagos and our Hotline is 07030595653. We respond to customer's request immediately. We are hosting many good websites in Nigeria and Ghana.
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

.ng is so good though. Think of all the domains that could end in -ing. Like shoppi.ng, dati.ng, etc.

Also, it's the extra characters that make it annoying when we have to settle for .com.ng

You are on point ....almost everyone is going for .com.ng

Who wants to spend 100$ on a domain name ,even the dati.ng shopping ,pi.ng ,are sold by bidding ,you won't get these lovely ones for 100$....someone told me they are as high as N500,000-N1M

1 Like

Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by sugaonline: 1:49pm On Nov 18, 2014
DOMAIN REGISTRATION IN NIGERIA.
Domain names are unique combination of alphabets that help identify internet resources such as a website or a web portal. It is basically an identification string which defines a realm of autonomy or authority over certain areas of internet which may be administrative, publicizing or commercial in nature. These Domain names are formed and registered as per the rules of Domain Name System (DNS). These names are used in various networking contexts and even application specific naming purposes.
All countries have their different guidelines and regulations when it comes to registering domains. Here is all that you need to know about domain registration in Nigeria:

The domain name for Nigeria is .ng which was confirmed as of 13th May, 2009 through Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA). Because of this re-delegation by iana, the contract for authority over this domain name is local to the Nigerian DNS administrator. The administrative contract, however, is the President of Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NiRA). Read full article here http://sugaonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=112
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 18, 2014
Our company has .ng and we got it $75
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 18, 2014
coolsix:
Our company has .ng and we got it $75

My dear, you were robbed. I pay $9 for .com. A year. If I pay for multiple years, I even get a discount.
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 18, 2014
Mrkuvuki:

You are on point ....almost everyone is going for .com.ng

Who wants to spend 100$ on a domain name ,even the dati.ng shopping ,pi.ng ,are sold by bidding ,you won't get these lovely ones for 100$....someone told me they are as high as N500,000-N1M

It's very disgusting. And it doesn't have anything to do with being a ccTLD (country code top level domain), like their Twitter spokesperson was LYING to me and itching my hand to slap him.

You know the new trend of short domains? Twitter uses t(.)co, Amazon has am.zn, Google has goo(.)gl. It's opening up these previously unpopular ccTLDs for people who want a custom url for their link shorteners. So I bought my first ccTLD this year, for that reason. Paid $20. I think it was Saint Lucia (.lc). This TINY minuscule island. Wtf Nigeria. Think of all the short urls that could end in .ng. Think of the internationally generated revenue.
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by adewasco2k(m): 3:22pm On Nov 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

It's very disgusting. And it doesn't have anything to do with being a ccTLD (country code top level domain), like their Twitter spokesperson was LYING to me and itching my hand to slap him.

You know the new trend of short domains? Twitter uses t(.)co, Amazon has am.zn, Google has goo(.)gl. It's opening up these previously unpopular ccTLDs for people who want a custom url for their link shorteners. So I bought my first ccTLD this year, for that reason. Paid $20. I think it was Saint Lucia (.lc). This TINY minuscule island. Wtf Nigeria. Think of all the short urls that could end in .ng. Think of the internationally generated revenue.

.in costs just around $2. Mostly i buy .in for demonstrational purposes cheesy
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 18, 2014
adewasco2k:

.in costs just around $2. Mostly i buy .in for demonstrational purposes cheesy

Hahaha! You don't say!
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

My dear, you were robbed. I pay $9 for .com. A year. If I pay for multiple years, I even get a discount.

Excuse me, but, you need to take a good look at someone before you quote or mention the person!. I said .ng and not .com !!!! .ng costs $100, we paid $75 !!!

Besides, my company is https://www.loadedhost.com

A World Class Web Hosting and Domain registration Provider in the USA!

Thank You!
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 18, 2014
coolsix:

Excuse me, but, you need to take a good look at someone before you quote or mention the person!. I said .ng and not .com !!!! .ng costs $100, we paid $75 !!!

Besides, my company is https://www.loadedhost.com

A World Class Web Hosting and Domain registration Provider in the USA!

Thank You!

Esscuse me sah. I no know. Sorry oooo.

LOL

P.S. I know you bought .ng. At $75 a year, you were still robbed. How many years do you plan to keep that up?
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

P.S. I know you bought .ng. At $75 a year, you were still robbed. How many years do you plan to keep that up?

No, we were not robbed, .ng officially costs $99.99 @ Nira, we got it at $75 from one of our partners! And we can keep it up as long as we want to and also See:

https://www.loadedhost.com
http://www.loadedhost.net
http://www.loadedhost.org
http://www.loaded.host
http://www.loadedhost.ng

We intend on buying all TLDs for our domain name.

Now:-
.host @Raddix costs => $87/yr
.ng @Nira costs => $99/yr

But, explain how we were robbed.. I am getting confused.
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 18, 2014
coolsix:

No, we were not robbed, .ng officially costs $99.99 @ Nira, we got it at $75 from one of our partners! And we can keep it up as long as we want to and also See:

I guess we see this subject differently. See my OP and previous comments in this thread for my thoughts on the issue.
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 12:57am On Nov 19, 2014
coolsix:

Hello I kinda like how that $75 sounds for the .ng ,is there any way I can also get for that price ?
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by jonnyboy4u: 3:03am On Nov 19, 2014
Mrkuvuki:

Hello I kinda like how that $75 sounds for the .ng ,is there any way I can also get for that price ?

Http://QServers.net use the coupon code: ngrocks

Found coupon on thier facebook page https://www.facebook.com/QServers.net so 20% discount should come to around N12,000.
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 8:11am On Nov 19, 2014
Mrkuvuki:

Email me: cool@six.vc
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 10:55am On Nov 20, 2014
MissMeiya:

@MissMeiya, I believe you already know why it's expensive(@bold). .ng TLDs have lots of potentials, and they are really good for domain hack which you stated above.

I would gladly pay for a .ng or any TLD(I can use to make a perfect domain hack) even if it's $200, if I had the resources to make one of my ideas work.

Meanwhile, I believe it is plain silly to pay that much for .ng, if you are not really making that much from your website. And I'm sure some people would pay for .ng when other TLD(s) are better suited for the job. Na dem sabi.

1 Like

Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 9:12pm On Nov 20, 2014
Its not about how much you pay now but rather how much you will pay in couple of years to come. This is a business strategy!

For instance, Godaddy gives out coupons to keep me and domain price keeps increasing every year.....In most cases, coupons can't be used to make a renewal. I guess you will have to keep paying for their services unless you have a good reason to back out.

Btw: I've been doing business with them for more than 7years

Overtime, they will make more money from you.

Manifest!
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by ghostofsparta(m): 12:42am On Nov 26, 2014
BOLAJIAJANI:

@MissMeiya, I believe you already know why it's expensive(@bold). .ng TLDs have lots of potentials, and they are really good for domain hack which you stated above.

I would gladly pay for a .ng or any TLD(I can use to make a perfect domain hack) even if it's $200, if I have the resources to make one of my ideas work.

Meanwhile, I believe it is plain silly to pay that much for .ng, if you are not really making that much from your website. And I'm sure some people would pay for .ng when other TLD(s) are better suited for the job. Na dem sabi.
I liked your post which is somehow closer to the same thought I later arrived on. Initially, the first time I discovered that the cost attached to a .ng domain hack is ridiculously expensive or so it seemed, now on the hindsight I realized that NiRA got it right, had it been to obtaining a .ng ccTLD had been that affordable, some sleazies would just have easily registered most of the juicy names one can think of, only to cyber-squat them for profit like the owner of gbanjo.com. But by making .ng very expensive is a way of reserving it for the genuine business people and serious-minded web developer/designer who knows the worth of the exclusive TLD.

MissMeiya:

I guess we see this subject differently. See my OP and previous comments in this thread for my thoughts on the issue.
I dig and honestly relate to all the point you've raised, believe me I was more furious than you when I came to this knowledge regarding this particular name hack which is unique, however can you look at it from another perspective, an angle that if .ng was pegged at a price a little bit more or less than the usual cost of the .com TLD then you would be ignoring the fact that not only is .com the most sought after default for any prospective web address but also because given to it popularity and general acceptability for various types of web service, hence has the largest number of users, hence it cheap rate. Do you know that, in the early days of the dot.com blow-out, some where smart enough to register unique names with .com TLD only to reserve it for the highest bidder. At $2million ($350million in stock) it so happened that business.com became the most expensive domain name ever bought by a company from an individual. Now, that's what I think NiRA is guarding against, they sold ThisDAY.ng to the tabloid company for an amount which if it were to be registered to you and later approached by the news company for a re-purchase, who is going to stop you from charging them a stupendous amount, after all there's no cyberlaw against cyber-squatting here in Nigeria as it is in the USA. You'd probably think.... 'dem get money na, so make dem pay if dem really want it so badly'. Someone still cybersquats at lindaikeji.com while she on the other hand refuse to purchase it from him despite her worth. I suspect egocentricity in play.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by adewasco2k(m): 2:14am On Nov 26, 2014
^very educative
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by ghostofsparta(m): 3:15pm On Nov 26, 2014
adewasco2k:
^very educative
Thanks, I've always liked your post, I started following you since yesterday, didn't you get the PM I sent you ?
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 6:09pm On Dec 01, 2014
^
Exactly man. BTW, I like the way you took your time to outline the issue.
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 01, 2014
BOLAJIAJANI:

I would gladly pay for a .ng or any TLD(I can use to make a perfect domain hack) even if it's $200, if I have the resources to make one of my ideas work.

ghostofsparta:

I liked your post which is somehow closer to the same thought I later arrived on. Initially, the first time I discovered that the cost attached to a .ng domain hack is ridiculously expensive or so it seemed, now on the hindsight I realized that NiRA got it right, had it been to obtaining a .ng ccTLD had been that affordable, some sleazies would just have easily registered most of the juicy names one can think of, only to cyber-squat them for profit like the owner of gbanjo.com. But by making .ng very expensive is a way of reserving it for the genuine business people and serious-minded web developer/designer who knows the worth of the exclusive TLD.
I dig and honestly relate to all the point you've raised, believe me I was more furious than you when I came to this knowledge regarding this particular name hack which is unique, however can you look at it from another perspective, an angle that if .ng was pegged at a price a little bit more or less than the usual cost of the .com TLD then you would be ignoring the fact that not only is .com the most sought after default for any prospective web address but also because given to it popularity and general acceptability for various types of web service, hence has the largest number of users, hence it cheap rate. Do you know that, in the early days of the dot.com blow-out, some where smart enough to register unique names with .com TLD only to reserve it for the highest bidder. At $2million ($350million in stock) it so happened that business.com became the most expensive domain name ever bought by a company from an individual. Now, that's what I think NiRA is guarding against, they sold ThisDAY.ng to the tabloid company for an amount which if it were to be registered to you and later approached by the news company for a re-purchase, who is going to stop you from charging them a stupendous amount, after all there's no cyberlaw against cyber-squatting here in Nigeria as it is in the USA. You'd probably think.... 'dem get money na, so make dem pay if dem really want it so badly'. Someone still cybersquats at lindaikeji.com while she on the other hand refuse to purchase it from him despite her worth. I suspect egocentricity in play.

Sorry I actually disagree with both of you. There are millions of "valuable" domains and ccTLDs that can be gotten for under $30 a year. .ng is not the only ccTLD in the world. I bought one from Saint Lucia this year for $26. As I mentioned earlier, in the past two years, ccTLDs have become increasingly popular, as customized short URLs due to their ease of sharing and remembering, but most ESPECIALLY due to the character limits of Twitter. That means anyone can shorten their long URL with a custom tiny URL with a simple purchase of any two letter TLD... which happen to be ccTLDs. Why else would an American buy .lc? Because it matched my brand name.

In addition, tons of domains are parked in America. It's not illegal. There are even services that allow you to park domains, auction domains, and watch for parked domains to expire. It's up to whoever wants it to pay whatever they think it's worth to whoever got it first.

And don't forget, I did ask NIRA what their deal was with the bogus prices, and the representative could barely understand the terms I used. You give them way too much credit, because I doubt very much if the people responsible for those prices are even computer-literate.
Re: Registering Nigerian TLD .ng by adewasco2k(m): 8:45pm On Dec 01, 2014
BTW I am here struggling to get a .ne domain.

Its been like impossible for people outside Niger to register and also quit expensive.... But the price ain't even a problem here sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Fix Accidentally Deleted Wordpress Index.php File / You Don't Really Need Smartphone Or Computer To Be A Successsful Blogger / Obama \ Enyimba Fc Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.