Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,260 members, 7,953,995 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:32 AM

A Story By Experience (short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Story By Experience (short Story) (1408 Views)

VALENCRY, My Valentine Experience ( Short Story ) / Forever And For Always - Story By Repogirl / A Monday Morning Experience - Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Story By Experience (short Story) by Nobody: 7:36am On Aug 29, 2014
Hi. Pls viewers your comments are needed...dedicated to TaiwoAdeyemi054, AdeyemiKehinde5 and Queen star

Since Hope’s return some months back, he had tarried at the feet of Father Sage to hear his words of wisdom. The Goods had remained with him as well as Doggedness. Father Sage had sent for Mr. Experience and he had arrived to teach Hope how to manoeuvre his way through waters. He had taught him how to swim in the Pool of Experience made behind Father Sage’s cottage.

“Hope, you don’t give up in the waters,” Mr. Experience would lecture. “If you don’t give up to challenges, challenges will end up given up on you.”

Mr. Experience opened up much of what he had experienced in the towns and cities he had been to. “There was a pupil I taught in the Valley of Inexperience,” Mr. Experience made known.

“This child was just too dull—can’t do anything good. All my teachers had given up on him. Though they had taught them much, yet the boy remained green, just like his name— Green. The only thing he would do after messing something up was to grin. He could do nothing, yet he was not attending Do-Nothing. Green was in my school for two years—though having two ears, he couldn’t hear his teachers’ speech properly. Though he had two hands, he could not handle a pen—he had no experience. Even the proprietors and the teachers of The Inexperience School of Thought had considered him suitable for their school, believing he would be the best there. They had come to my school to ask if they could get away with him but I had refused several times. They had even come to steal him once but Green had escaped. Though the Inexperience School of Thought was a stone-throw to my school, yet Green could not find his way back there after his escape from the Inexperience School of Thought. He went far away and was lost in the bush for many days.”
Green wandered long mile in the bush, searching for Mr. Experience’s school of thought. He could not find it.

Green began feeding on anything green and would grin even if they had tasted bitter. Green had lot of weeds kept in his pockets so he could chew whenever he was hungry. By miracle, Green found his way back to town yet not realising he was in town already. Were it not for a female schoolmate he’d have wandered away again. Green was glad he had returned to town. He had his pockets filled with weeds, which he chewed in the public. Everyone made fun of Green and called him names.

“Wander kid!” they nicknamed.

“Grass-cutter!” they would yell at him whenever he was chewing the weeds.

“Grasshopper!” some had even called him.
Somehow, some seedlings had fallen unto the fertile ground of the school garden from Green’s weed and they had sprung up weeds, cumbering with the cucumbers for nutrients and competing with the corns for nourishments. Green had noticed the weeds growing there, and when he had exhausted the ones in his pockets, he began to visit the garden to pluck them to eat.

However, Green remained green and without much knowledge. He couldn’t handle a pen still, which Mr. Experience had told them was mightier than a sword.

A disease struck the Valley of Inexperience, claiming lives, even the lives of those in the Experience School of Thought. It had been better if such was all, but the plague didn’t spare the plants too, affecting trees and everything planted, thus starving the survivor of the plague. The disease affected everyone including Mr. Experience, turning skins yellowish and making green leaves go yellow as well. The ill people of the Valley of Inexperience were ill at ease and annoyed at Mr. Experience who had taught that there was solution to every problem but had, until now, not procured a solution to the deadly disease. They gave him a date to leave the town for not putting his teachings into practice.

Mr. Experience was worried. He took his time to go after Mr. Knowledge. When he mentioned the nature of the disease, Mr. Knowledge yelled, “Ah! It’s called Graydenter! It kills so fast—can ruin a whole town in three weeks.”

“So—what’s the remedy?” Mr. Experience was scared.

“Not known yet,” Mr. Knowledge confessed. “It’s far beyond my knowledge.”

It sounded like a bombshell to Mr. Experience when his mentor mentioned it. As he turned to leave, Mr. Knowledge counselled, “Perhaps you should meet Father Sage!”

“But Happy-Go-Lucky is still angry with me till now,” he replied, confused. “The hurters will set me ablaze!”

Mr. Knowledge laughed and said, “Don’t be funny, Expee. You know so well how you could avoid them. Or, would I need to ask you how you escaped your uncle, Torment, those days?”

“By experience,” Experience laughed. “You’re right. I’ll go to Happy-Go-Lucky by night.”

“Good!” Mr. Knowledge was glad. “Last two years I went there twice by night too—the first time to check the Dilapidation dwelling place.
Secretly then, he came around at night to seek Father Sage. As usual, the old man with dim eyes and hirsute brow welcomed him, asking him to knock the door, his door of opportunity. Mr. Experience presented the issue and Father Sage was lost in thought. As usual with the old man, he said slowly, “Experience, I’m glad you came. There’s no problem without a solution.”
Mr. Experience was glad. He adjusted on his seat and had his chin on his palm to listen.

“Did you say everything is affected?”

“Yes!” he replied. “Not a single green thing is remaining green now. They’re all yellow like a finger affected with whitlow.”

“I can see yellow on you as well,” Father Sage confessed sincerely as he peered at the man’s blighted skin.

“My students are dying. Now tomorrow is the deadline for me to leave the town.” Mr. Experience was perplexed.

“You have the solution in you,” the Sage said suddenly.

“In me?” The man was confused.

“Yes,” the Sage nodded to drive home his point. “Search for any living thing in the town that has not been affected by any means.”

“I shan’t find one.”

“Just do as I say,” said the Sage. “When that is done, solution is certain.”

Mr. Experience left with heavy heart, and as usual, the old Sage soliloquized his eulogy at his departure.

Culled from the story, HOPE AND THE ISLAND OF GREATNESS by SammyHoe.

You can get the whole story(350pages, MSWORD) by subscribing to SammyHoe stories...please call 08087755117 for further inquiry.

1 Like

Re: A Story By Experience (short Story) by tattesco(m): 5:02pm On Dec 18, 2014
Since august?

1 Like

Re: A Story By Experience (short Story) by Nobody: 5:59pm On Dec 18, 2014
tattesco:
Since august?

Lol, since Last year sef because this story is just a little abstract from HOPE AND THE ISLAND OF GREATNESS
Re: A Story By Experience (short Story) by tattesco(m): 7:32pm On Dec 19, 2014
Okay grin

(1) (Reply)

Why Did Cinderella's Fairy Godmother Not Show Up Until It Was Time For The Ball? / When To Use "'s" And "S'" In A Sentence. / How I Became My Father’s Concubine (episode 5)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.