Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Timing Belt Woes! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Timing Belt Woes! (2896 Views)

Keke Operator Installs Seat Belt In His Tricycle (Photos) / Help!!! Honda Accord 2009 Timing Belt Always Cutting. Any Solution? / Timing Belt vs Timing Chain: Which is the best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Timing Belt Woes! by jukeblam(m): 8:16pm On Aug 29, 2014
At start-up in the mornings, there used to be this shrill sound coming from the belts in my engine. Vehicle is a 2001 CR-V 2.0L 4-speed A/T.

I figured I might as well perform preventive maintenance on the belts, since I wasn't sure which had or hadn't been changed by previous owners.
For starters, I chose to have a mechanic replace the timing belt (and water pump) due to time and difficulty.

Now, this is the day I rue till now.

Picked up the car late in the evening and noticed hard starting and rough idle at an RPM twice the normal (1500 vs 730!!)
As well, if I pulled up on the accelerator pedal, the vehicle would stall. Error codes were cylinder misfire on all 4.

Had it returned the next day for re-adjustment- as obviously, the timing is off. Got it later in the evening; after driving for some time, the rough idle returned.

I wasn't able to return the car until two days later; this time I stayed with the mechanic to see and also tell how to proceed- based on what I had garnered from Honda forums.

Current problem:
After a day of driving, I noticed low power when accelerating; mostly from a stop.
As well, the reverse gear has very low power- I couldn't reverse uphill an incline of roughly 20 degrees.
Also, the reverse light doesn't light up every time I put the gear in R- I have to wiggle a little to get the light on- but it would move without the light coming on. Now the error codes are:
1. P0170 Powertrain
Fuel Trim (Bank 1); and
2. P0172 Powertrain
System too rich (Bank 1)

Taking it back tomorrow to have the timing belt re-adjusted. Again!

I don't think there are any bent valves, but I worry if the period of driving with timing off could have affected the transmission??

By the way, the shrill sound is no more- there's bigger fish to fry. Sadly.
Re: Timing Belt Woes! by aAK1(m): 2:17pm On Aug 30, 2014
I don't think the shrill sound was even from the timing belt in the first place. It appears to be a slack alternator belt that would have easily been corrected by readjusting the belt or changing it.
Re: Timing Belt Woes! by jukeblam(m): 7:40pm On Aug 30, 2014
Yes, I thought of that possibilty; but I had plans to replace certain parts that could cause great damage if it failed during operation.
Alternator belt replacement I can do, but not timing belt.

Now I have it back, but it still doesn't feel the same- could be my psyche though.
However, no issues, no error codes.
Re: Timing Belt Woes! by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:06pm On Aug 30, 2014
Your timing is most likey off, but what type if timing belt did you buy and how much did it cost you? If its the regular thing they sell I doubt you will get 10k km before it snaps. I hope it was original.
Re: Timing Belt Woes! by jukeblam(m): 11:12pm On Aug 30, 2014
Seems I spoke too soon. The car showed some hesitation before taking off from a stop this night.

@Gazzuzz,
I got the Honda timing belt from luvinhubby.

Know any shop with a timing light where I can get it fixed totally? As in, the mechanic has done his 'best'...he can't do better than this. Four attempts oh!
Re: Timing Belt Woes! by Ikenna351(m): 7:52am On Aug 31, 2014
I am surprised you kept giving the car to the same mechanic to redo timing he messed up in the first place.

Find someone else to set the tensioner properly, as factory instructed. Problem is these guys don't read engines workshop manuals. They think if they could do timing belt of Accord 1985 model, the 2010 model will be the same set up. The problem is not timing the camshafts right, but setting the tensioner right. Because if done wrong, it will messed up the proper camshaft position once crankshaft starts spinning.

Find someone who knows how to get the tensioner right, simple.

Ikenna
Re: Timing Belt Woes! by jukeblam(m): 4:27pm On Aug 31, 2014
Simple as it sounds, finding that "someone" isn't always that easy...lol. Most naija mechs can easily screw-up a simple car job; even the so-called Honda place et al are not exempt.

I'm open to recos though.

1 Like

Re: Timing Belt Woes! by diehard(m): 2:50pm On Sep 01, 2014
You have to go with word of mouth recommendation most times in naija, i had my timing belt changed for lexus es300 cos the car has done over 200,000 miles with the manufacturers belt and i was afraid it might cut. Ordered one with a 60,000miles on it. If you were in Port harcourt i would have recommended the same guy that did mine last month. But you need to look for someones else to correct the mistake made by the first mechanic. Try google it will give you ideas of how to set the timing right, that's what i did before taking it to a mechanic and followed him up on every step he took
Re: Timing Belt Woes! by alsudaes1(m): 1:25pm On May 21, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
Your timing is most likey off, but what type if timing belt did you buy and how much did it cost you? If its the regular thing they sell I doubt you will get 10k km before it snaps. I hope it was original.

Good afternoon,

I called you in respect of changing of timing chain
Re: Timing Belt Woes! by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:08pm On May 21, 2017
alsudaes1:

Good afternoon,

I called you in respect of changing of timing chain

He most likely turned this upside down

Re: Timing Belt Woes! by alsudaes1(m): 2:20pm On May 21, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

He most likely turned this upside down
Thanks, I was offline.

He actually turned it facing up, in line with the dot on the base of the ebgine
Re: Timing Belt Woes! by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:36pm On May 21, 2017
alsudaes1:

Thanks, I was offline.

He actually turned it facing up, in line with the dot on the base of the ebgine

You said all that was done was to replace timing belt and car did not start right? Ask mech to open timing cover again and take a pic of the pulsar plate.

(1) (Reply)

The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. / Pls Help My GS350 Is Giving Me Problems / gine Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.