Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,468 members, 7,770,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:00 AM

Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb (46643 Views)

When Is Nairaland Migrating To Vbulletin? / How Can I Embed Google Ads In My Smf Forum / Help. How Do I Add My Site's Banner To My Phpbb Forum Page? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by Handsome1: 11:43am On Oct 26, 2008
Which do u like best chose and tell us why
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by uspry1(f): 3:36pm On Oct 26, 2008
In my opinion, i strongly believe that SMF is the best forum installed on your own hosting site, because it has many new hottest SMF modules to be added to your SMF forum site with little knowledge of PHP.

For example, I assisted a small USA business owner migrating from ebay store owner to own website with e-commerce, subscription membership, multishop portal, and forum with FlashChat module package capability.

I found a commercial-based skinnable customizable FlashChat with module pack of all-in-one: audio/video module, whiteboard module, banner ad rotator module, web radio module, MP3 player module, and text advertisement/announcements module that is fully integrated with any CMS such as SMF, PHPBB, vBulletin and other popular forum templates.

Yesterday (October 25, 2008), i got paid in full for my service rendered on a FlashChat all-in-one module pack installed on my client's existing SMF forum site. She is extremely enthused and impressed my work. grin
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by uspry1(f): 3:42pm On Oct 26, 2008
By the way vBulletin and PHPBB has its own add-on modules the same way as SMF has.

But i like vBulletin forum from what I saw recently however it is not a free forum, therefore; SMF is the alternative of free forum installation via hosting control panel's FANTASTIC icon.
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by Plouplou: 3:59pm On Feb 12, 2009
Among the open-scripts one, I have used both phpBB3 and SMF. phpBB3 always takes the lead. It has got more mods, themes etc. On the other hand, SMF doesn’t give you much features as compared to phpBB3.
Demo : free forum hosting
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by Seun(m): 6:26pm On Feb 12, 2009
I believe Vbulletin is the best one, but SMF is very close.

1 Like

Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by IBEXY(m): 6:27pm On Feb 12, 2009
I have used SMF extensively. Its FREE very easy to use and there is a strong and active support community to help you solve most problems. They have great MODS especially Tinyportal. If you are running an SMF forum, you need to check out tinyportal.net. Am surprised this forum has not intergrated it yet. See it in action on my forum - see my signature. The MOD brings along a lot of Social networking features and great themes.

The one big problem I had with SMF was not being able to integrate it with Joomla (I used to own a joomla site). The guy who wrote the best bridge for SMF+Joomla suddenly stopped due to some politics between Joomla and SMF.

I've also had a few security issues with SMF. Up to twice, I've had to restore my website from an old copy when it got hacked. The SMF team are very active and always patch security issues fast anyway.

All that said, VBulletin is still the tops when it comes to forums. It has loads of features and very well developed MODS. The only downside to it is that its not free. Because you are paying for the product, you get ready and steady support unlike on SMF where you have to wait often for days for support - free things have a down side too smiley. Most huge organisations use vBulletin. I'll choose it over SMF.
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by basking4me: 7:41pm On Feb 12, 2009
I like SMF because it has unquantifiable loads of themes and Mods, I downloaded & ran some themes/Mods recently on my webserver, and you wont believe what my smf turned into. Vbulletin isnt free but powers the biggest forums around.

I am gradually falling inlove with phpbb3, Joomla is headache for now. There are a whole lot of other CMSes that will do the job just as much as phpbb, vbull or SMF.
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by infomegaly(m): 8:08pm On Feb 12, 2009
vbulletin is the best
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by SamMilla1(m): 8:44pm On Feb 12, 2009
I have seen this debate in many places and SMF always tops the polls,

Its more dynamic and flexible than phpBB. I have not used vBulletin but i have seen forums running on the software. I never liked them like SMF. One good thing about SMF is that you dont need php experience to run it. It is also updated constantly unlike phpBB. Anyway my vote goes to SIMPLE MACHINES FORUM software
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by Shaz(f): 10:41pm On Feb 12, 2009
I have to say V Bulletin has so far been impressive. . I mean all the sites I've seen them on and their features are pretty extensive.

PHPBB is has got quite a number of interesting features that SMF lacks but as its name goes, SMF is kinda simple and easier to manipulate - I've got limited knowledge of forum hosting and stuff but I can work SMF.

PhPBB hasn't got that much updates either. .

Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by basking4me: 10:27am On Feb 13, 2009
@ Seun,

An online Forum rating firm is currently tagging Nairaland as a Vbulletin powered forum. Wouldnt you like to sue them for misinformation to the online public.

Its live on their site stats now.

That a problem is see with SMF. SMF is free Vbulletin. They have too much semblance.
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by SamMilla1(m): 11:11am On Feb 13, 2009
basking4me:

@ Seun,

An online Forum rating firm is currently tagging Nairaland as a Vbulletin powered forum. Wouldnt you like to sue them for misinformation to the online public.

That a problem is see with SMF. SMF is free Vbulletin. They have too much semblance.

whats the link to the rating firm, lets see before advising to head to court
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by basking4me: 11:25am On Feb 13, 2009
Sam-Sam,

Doubting thomas. You never take your own serious, eveything has to be verified to be certified true.

I knew it would get to this, but just like a poster who 'made a bike with his bear hands' on nairaland, I do not want to tell for security reasons, Seun knows what am talking about.
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by NaijaEcash(m): 12:03pm On Feb 13, 2009
When I am ready to part with some coins, I'll go for vbulletin 'cos it is the best. But for now, I am proud to vote SMF as the best free forum software cheesy
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by IBEXY(m): 1:00pm On Feb 13, 2009
As at the time I started, I went for SMF because I could not afford vBulletin. vBulletin is the best.
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by basking4me: 1:03pm On Feb 13, 2009
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by infomegaly(m): 4:29pm On Feb 13, 2009
basking4me:

@ Seun,

you cant just go to court and sue them-
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by SamMilla1(m): 8:15pm On Feb 13, 2009
basking4me:

Sam-Sam,

Doubting thomas. You never take your own serious, eveything has to be verified to be certified true.

I knew it would get to this, but just like a poster who 'made a bike with his bear hands' on nairaland, I do not want to tell for security reasons, Seun knows what am talking about.

seems you have been following me around, anyway, there is nothing ever wrong in being sure before doing something , i have seen the link and i believe thats not enough reason to take anybody to any court, it could have been a mistake
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by emekauzor(m): 11:01pm On Feb 14, 2009
smf i use it but if the y spam you eehh !! you go regret
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by Nobody: 8:30am On Feb 16, 2009
i need a smf forum designer to help in building a forum for my organisation.

pls call 07026253124 or email enquiries@aplusapproach.com

thank you
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by Ralvy(m): 5:33pm On Mar 05, 2009
Can't beat the addiction, SMF Rules smiley
It strives to use minimum server resources, has a butt load of modifications / themes, an awesome support community (yeah we do our job tongue ) and is so simple like the name implies, Go SMF wink
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 30, 2009
Vb is the best but its speed is quite discouraging
So

Vb - best paid forum software

SMF - Best free forum software
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by lagoshost(m): 12:30am On Aug 10, 2009
SMF is the best free forum script.
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by Plouplou: 2:53pm On Aug 13, 2009
I definitely prefer PHPbb they have a bunch of add-ons and design templates that are also quite good.
Demo : free forums
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by akute(f): 2:57pm On Aug 14, 2009
I have used both but SMF is much better, not easy to configure. There good documentation around that you can use.
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by naijagurl2(f): 5:17pm On Aug 14, 2009
i Doubt if any of those sasying smf is better than vb have ever used vb. Vb is by far the best forum software in the world. The only reason smf is more popular among nigerians is beacuse it is free. As someone said above vb is the best forum software, while smf is the best option for those who can t afford vb
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by dono3a5(m): 11:25am On Aug 16, 2009
phpBB rules!!! check out my phpBB site www.kongforum.com
Re: Smf Vs Vbulletin Vs Phpbb by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 16, 2009
Cat is strong but don't mistake its strength with lion,lion is stronger.SMF is simply second to VB.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How I Bought A Domain Name For $10 And Resold It At $550 / Nkiruka Blessing Okoro Buys A Brabus Ride As Early 30th Birthday Gift / Facebook Unveils Its New Logo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.