Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,478 members, 7,826,804 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Mushroom Cultivation: Empowering The Mind And Hand - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Mushroom Cultivation: Empowering The Mind And Hand (2152 Views)

. / BECOME MILLIONAIRES THROUGH EDIBLE MUSHROOM CULTIVATION AND SPAWN PRODUCTION / Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mushroom Cultivation: Empowering The Mind And Hand by jovanafarms: 8:03am On Aug 30, 2014
My personal experience as an agric entrepreneur has proved that farming Mushroom and Grasscutter is second nature. In the particular case of mushroom cultivation, its production gives small holder farmers a big chance to increase their income, improve their health and offers an alternative means of livelihood to urban and rural farmers. The process of growing mushroom is one of the easiest ways to earn a living and not much physical strength is required in its production.
Mushroom is not an entirely new food item on the table of Nigerians, it was at a point relegated to the background food for rural dwellers, but today its regarded as a delicacy for the rich because of its high cost .The interest in cultivation and consumption of mushroom is picking up in Nigeria, the few people that have embraced it are not only smiling to banks, they are also enjoying both the nutritional and health value derived from consuming it.
GETTING STARTED
Starting a mushroom farm is a potentially lucrative way of getting into the farming business. Its cultivation is also regarded as one of the most science-based branches of agriculture and horticulture. Growing mushroom is a rewarding experience.
Not only can it be used for your dining table, you might also be able to develop great relationships with individuals, Health food stores, Hotels and food caterers; if you have a small space to create a small farm.

HEALTH BENEFIT
Edible mushrooms are considered as healthy food because their mineral content is higher than that of meat or fish and most vegetables. The protein content of fresh mushrooms is about twice that of vegetables and four times that of oranges.
Mushrooms contain proteins which have all the nine amino-acids that are essential for our health.
It is clear that apart from the nutritional value of mushrooms, they have potential medicinal benefits and are also an ideal food for the diabetics and obese people.
The health benefits of mushrooms also include improvement in the body’s immune system and the prevention of certain forms of cancers and tumors.
GOOD MARKET
Many opportunities abound in the production of mushrooms as many hospitality industries in the country still import the product to add to their meals. Majority of big hotels in Nigeria have mushrooms in their daily menu, but this mushrooms came from abroad, this means local production will have a ready market. There is opportunity to even export mushroom, once you can produce good quality that can be exported to Europe.
Growing mushroom locally would complement government’s effort to turn waste to wealth, including the production of something that could be highly nutritious. Productions of mushrooms involve mainly the use of agricultural waste without the use of chemicals and it appears safe. Nigeria job seekers can succeed in overcoming the challenges of unemployment through mushroom cultivation. At Jovana Farms, we have quality mushroom for sale.
INCREASED AWARENESS
More farmers are of late going into the farming of mushrooms, a neglected and forgotten healthy food, which is not only improving the financial status of the producers but the health of the consumers as well.
The rate at which Nigerians have shown interest in the eating of mushrooms is given a massive boost to production of the delicacy.
Local demand for mushroom is increasing as the people become more health conscious by avoiding the consumption of red meat that is loaded with cholesterol.
VIABILITY
The technology for the cultivation of mushroom species could be easily adopted by individuals, co-operative societies, families, famers, schools in the rural and urban centers without difficulties. The cultivation of the mushroom can be done all year round as sources of the mushrooms are from agricultural wastes which are always available in abundance in Nigeria.
Additionally, while a kilo of chicken meat goes for N700 on average in Nigeria, a kilo of mushroom is about N2, 200. Mushroom beds need a dark environment for only 14-18 days while harvesting is usually 4-5 days after opening the white-bags. Mature mushrooms become ready for harvesting in another 4-days.
You can get started, without the costly items the so-called experts say you should have; with about N80,000 you’re already in a profitable business. Mushroom farming is a miracle waiting to happen in Nigeria agribusiness, don’t be left out.
Jovana farms organizes nationwide sensitization agro-seminars on the practical ways of making it through small scale farming. Attend our nationwide seminars nearest to you and know more opportunities in mushroom farming. Visit us at: www.jovanafarm.com, E-mail:jovanafarms@gmail.com, TEL: 080 33262 808 for more details. Choose also the nearest venue from the advert box in this page.

Re: Mushroom Cultivation: Empowering The Mind And Hand by Hoshea: 7:40am On Aug 31, 2014
thank u for this good info, i have a small piece of land and i was thinking what to grow on it, i've decided to go with the mushroom, i have no idea how it is grown, taken care . How do i get all these infos

1 Like

Re: Mushroom Cultivation: Empowering The Mind And Hand by baba11(m): 8:49am On Aug 31, 2014
...to grow it is not a problem but to get it sell is the major problem.I couldn't remember when last i saw it displayed openly in our major markets except during Abacha regime when there was scarcity in money and food supply in the country!If i can be guaranted ready made market,why not?I'll take it up!!!!

1 Like

Re: Mushroom Cultivation: Empowering The Mind And Hand by Animush: 2:53pm On Feb 16, 2016
Spawn not available
Re: Mushroom Cultivation: Empowering The Mind And Hand by qadkhankha: 8:56pm On Aug 09, 2021
I have recently bought mushroom spores for research purpose and your this guide on mushroom growing will help me a lot in research purpose, Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Hybrid Pineapple Seedlings / Fresh Ginger Available In Tons / I Found The Biggest Cashew Nut Ever! It's Bigger Than W150

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.