Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) (73905 Views)

80 Acres Of Land Basically For Plantain Available For Cultivation In Ogbomoso / BECOME MILLIONAIRES THROUGH EDIBLE MUSHROOM CULTIVATION AND SPAWN PRODUCTION / Plantain Cultivation Is Increasing, Let Us Talk About The Market. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 11:12am On Sep 27, 2014
Many are of the believe that apple cant grow in Nigeria.But this is a big lie.Apples that are sold at shops here in Nigeria have been harvested before it gets ripe.This is because these fruits spends about a week before it gets to Nigeria.Few years ago,i saw a apple tree at a family friends home.I was suprised and ask him how did it happen,he told me that he is an agriculturist and works at the state ministry of agriculture.
He also said he will help me get one.I asked how,and he said the ministry has ordered some,which got rippen from south africa and so it will germinate.Unlike the ones we buy at shops here which didnt get ripe before it was harvested.
Fellow nairalanders,few weeks ago i have gotten mine(the apple seedling) and now i have planted and it survived.
Who says apples dont grow in Nigeria because of the temperature.Dont be deceived.Apples really grow here

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by olufemi26(m): 11:16am On Sep 27, 2014
This very impressive. I hope they come out big and sweet by 2019

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 11:21am On Sep 27, 2014
pictures of my young apple plant.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by ooofreezy(m): 11:32am On Sep 27, 2014
Wow that's a good development! I guess dis answers the topic on fp

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Pavore9: 11:41am On Sep 27, 2014
OP, that is good, where is your location and how long is it going to take to harvest your first fruits?

2 Likes

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by hushmail: 11:45am On Sep 27, 2014
good development

where exactly in 9ja?

East west, south or north?

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 12:07pm On Sep 27, 2014
Pavore9: OP, that is good, where is your location and how long is it going to take to harvest your first fruits?
My residue is at ondo city in ondo state,and it will take about 5yrs to harvest my first fruits.

12 Likes

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Pavore9: 12:16pm On Sep 27, 2014
gbenga4sure: My residue is at ondo city in ondo state,and it will take about 5yrs to harvest my first fruits.
That's good and before you know it 2019 will be upon us!

20 Likes

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 12:32pm On Sep 27, 2014
Pavore9: That's good and before you know it 2019 will be upon us!
.Abi o.thank u jare

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 12:35pm On Sep 27, 2014
More pics

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by firestar(f): 12:39pm On Sep 27, 2014
Those apples...

Do they look like this?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by HFOG(f): 12:41pm On Sep 27, 2014
gbenga4sure: My residue is at ondo city in ondo state,and it will take about 5yrs to harvest my first fruits.
Very interesting and impressive. Never knew it takes that long to bear fruits. Would be worth the wait I know. Happy waiting. Cheers

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by LONGFELLOW02(m): 12:44pm On Sep 27, 2014
Their are alot of boiz selling nurse apple seed in Jos along the road.

Why i dn't like this apple of a thing is because i learn that its not all seed that produce fruit.

Some after 5yrs of nursing it will not produce fruit

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 12:53pm On Sep 27, 2014
A apple can surely do well in Nigeria.The method of harvest applied to apple is the same to tomato,and thats why those apples that u buy dont germinate.They were harvested when they were not matured enough,because of the days spent before taking them to where they are not common to sell.So they become rippen on the way or during delivery/even fews days after being bought by retailers or most sellers

3 Likes

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 12:58pm On Sep 27, 2014
Apple tree owned by a family friend

44 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 1:12pm On Sep 27, 2014
firestar: Those apples...

Do they look like this?
They look like this

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by firestar(f): 1:26pm On Sep 27, 2014
gbenga4sure: They look like this

I'm interested in what the blossoms look like as well.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 27, 2014
following.

When it starts fruiting on the 5th year does it continue fruiting anually, bi-annually or every 5years.

The soil in my village is sandy, i may have to try it there since urs looks same.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 27, 2014
@op,plz throw morelight on how to plant it, soil type, any other practice etc

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 4:36pm On Sep 27, 2014
mercylicious: following.

When it starts fruiting on the 5th year does it continue fruiting anually, bi-annually or every 5years.

The soil in my village is sandy, i may have to try it there since urs looks same.
After it starts fruiting on the fifth year,then it starts fruiting sequential/simultaneously throughout the year.
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 4:48pm On Sep 27, 2014
mercylicious: @op,plz throw morelight on how to plant it, soil type, any other practice etc
Get a matured apple seed and plant it(u might also plant in a small polythene bag and transplant it later to d soil after germination.)Plant in a good soil.But if your soil is sandy soil,dig the ground and add some loamy soil(just to make sure it survives and do well at early stage).water it everyday.But Do not try PLANTING IT ON A CLAY SOIL.Advisable if you plant during rainy season.Do not plant very close to a building or fence(its not a flower.)

8 Likes

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Nobody: 8:18pm On Sep 27, 2014
ooofreezy: Wow that's a good development! I guess dis answers the topic on fp

He got to grow one because his friend at the ministry of Agriculture gave him one to plant; what about us that don't have peeps at Agric Ministry??

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Nobody: 8:39am On Sep 28, 2014
and you will invite happybrother to mass produce the seedlings through grafting and air layering
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by coolvitus(m): 1:38pm On Sep 28, 2014
Brb
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by jopheezy(m): 1:38pm On Sep 28, 2014
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Dahmum(f): 1:39pm On Sep 28, 2014
Dis is sooo intresting oo.please keep d'facts coming.Happy Sunday ppeeeeps.Ŀ♡√Ɛ all
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Willgates(m): 1:39pm On Sep 28, 2014
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by afrinaija: 1:40pm On Sep 28, 2014
That is interesting.

1 Like

Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by nnejin(m): 1:40pm On Sep 28, 2014
cryDats nice ooo
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by purplish(f): 1:40pm On Sep 28, 2014
Apples! Yum Yum cheesy
Re: Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) by Elusive9(f): 1:40pm On Sep 28, 2014
WoW

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Excessive Heat Kills A Farmer's Chickens: Pictured / Huge Cassava Harvested In Imo State, Taller Than The Owner!!!!! (Photos) / If Banana Grew & Entered Your Compound Like This, What Would You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.