Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? (1662 Views)

Man Feels Guilty Everytime His Wife Reigns Curses On The Men Who Raped Her. / His Parents Are Against Him For Wanting To Get His Own House / My Parents Are Always Quarelling And Fighting What Do I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 30, 2014
Why do some parents choose career for their children and believe that the child has no right to decide what he/she wants in future.
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 30, 2014
I wonder
Like, are u goin to live your kids life after choosing their career
That's an archaic practise

1 Like

Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Aug 30, 2014
Ladystewie: I wonder
Like, are u goin to live your kids life after choosing their career
That's an archaic practise
i wonder too o.....some parents be like 'I want you to become a medical doctor' and thats how they end up misleading the child
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by Tallesty1(m): 3:19pm On Aug 30, 2014
Convice them or disobey them
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 30, 2014
I thinks that want their children to be successful as other peoples that are into the profession.
The best idea is that they should ask the child where he or she is good at.
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by write2obi(m): 4:09pm On Aug 30, 2014
It's because most times career choices are made when the child is barely old enough to make a sound choice.

Take for instance, a child grow up listening to lucky dube, may one day tells his dad he want to be a reggae musician, do you expect his dad to clap for him and say "good choice my boy"?. Ask a child of 17 these days what they will like to be 99% will say doctor,lawyer,musician, footballer or banker. While some will make a good choice, they might take up a course they are not mentally capable of handling,, some will even make a choice based of peers or role models(choosing to study law because you want to be in unec close to your friends, or choosing to be an actor because tonto dicke is one)

I friend of mine, we both got admitted in 2005 to study electrical engineering in unn, but he insisted on studying medicine because his so called babe was a medical student, after our first yr he tried and failed to secure a course change, he went back to Enugu and stated writing jamb. The girl is a doctor now, while my friend is still writing jamb.

Considering the state we find our country, no child of mine is going to come up with the idea of studying sociology. I will just slap the idea out of your head.
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by okotv(m): 4:17pm On Aug 30, 2014
although it has long diminished but sometimes the parents might be right....i think parents should guide and not force..

1 Like

Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by braine(m): 4:32pm On Aug 30, 2014
Most parents are guilty. I don't blame them tho.
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by slimyem: 5:33pm On Aug 30, 2014
Almost all Nigerian parents I know are guilty including mine.
I had to get stubborn with my dad before he got off my back over wanting me to study epidermiology as a second degree and he still keep on selling the idea to my other siblings and cousins that happen to be science students till date.
I would regard this act of parents as selfish as most of them just want their children to live dreams that they couldn't and more often than not,it draws back the children. Children that could have excelled with little of no effort in fields of their own choice end up struggling as average students in ones chosen for them...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by nwaobitex: 6:00pm On Aug 30, 2014
many parents
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by egopersonified(f): 7:04pm On Aug 30, 2014
My turn to 'force' is gradually approaching.
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Aug 30, 2014
Sometimes the parents are right.take me for example my mum wanted me to be a nurse but i objected to it all because i was aspiring to be an engineer.Now am at a crossroad because my heart now yearns for a nursing career which i will be studying for a second degree by God's grace so most times the parents are just helping their child put things in perspective.
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Aug 30, 2014
I see notin wrong wif parents choosing careers 4 deir children,itz jst dat some parent impose it on deir children by force and datz wrong,they sud try and sit deir children down and convince abt d career chosen 4 dem.#shikena
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by GboyegaD(m): 3:25am On Aug 31, 2014
Thank God my parents were not like that. Though my dad did not support my elder sister's choice of going to Science Class at first because he felt she wasn't exceptional but when she insisted he allowed her. Today, my siblings and I studied our various courses because we wanted to except my younger sister who wanted to study Accounting but was offered Accounting Education which is close.
For me, I believe it is the parents right to guide however, to force is wicked if you ask me.
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by raumdeuter: 5:49am On Aug 31, 2014
Parents do this because they are older, have more experience on the various careers

Some parents are right and some are wrong, but one thing is the parents always choose a career they deem profitable

Its like in Nigeria a child says he wants to Study Latin, the parent would know the chances of making a living with the course is low and would try to change the career path to a more marketable one
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by Nobody: 5:59am On Aug 31, 2014
When every child these days want to be like Davido, Kaffy and the likes, why won't parents "force" them to take up "reasonable" careers.

I might not be forcing my kids, but I'm sure gonna steer them towards careers I think will be lucrative and beneficial to them in future, as long as I know they are capable of doing well in these chosen professions.

Aint gonna waste my time, energy and resources training a child in a profession that won't be lucrative in future.

1 Like

Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Aug 31, 2014
QueenMo: Why do some parents choose career for their children and believe that the child has no right to decide what he/she wants in future.
I just finished battling with my cousin's parent ... I nearly punched the dad in the eye ! ....

The wife has seen it my way and now she'll convince her husband that their children's career aint about them but what this guy/gals decides !!
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 31, 2014
Phema: When every child these days want to be like Davido, Kaffy and the likes, why won't parents "force" them to take up "reasonable" careers.

I might not be forcing my kids, but I'm sure gonna steer them towards careers I think will be lucrative and beneficial to them in future, as long as I know they are capable of doing well in these chosen professions.

Aint gonna waste my time, energy and resources training a child in a profession that won't be lucrative in future.
me too but some dads/moms just lord over their kids without considering their potentials ..... They just believe because their friend's son does this , so is their son too !
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by shizzleStar: 2:19pm On Sep 01, 2014
egopersonified: My turn to 'force' is gradually approaching.
Not good! why not be a guide to them in pursuit of their passion. Na wa to you'o
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Sep 01, 2014
My dad did not only choose a course of study for me
He chose my school too.
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by shizzleStar: 11:11pm On Sep 01, 2014
Phema: When every child these days want to be like Davido, Kaffy and the likes, why won't parents "force" them to take up "reasonable" careers.

Pls tell me you didn't mean the bolded.

Are you by any chance trying to say Davido, kaffy et al aren't having successful careers or that there careers aren't lucrative? smh!
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by Nobody: 6:47am On Sep 02, 2014
shizzleStar:
Pls tell me you didn't mean the bolded.

Are you by any chance trying to say Davido, kaffy et al aren't having successful careers or that there careers aren't lucrative? smh!

Well, they are successful in your own standards. Nope, i will not want my children picking up such careers. Call me old school and ignorant, i won't argue. It is just what I want.
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by sayoberry(f): 11:48am On Sep 02, 2014
smiley
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by shizzleStar: 11:52am On Sep 02, 2014
Phema:

Well, they are successful in your own standards. Nope, i will not want my children picking up such careers. Call me old school and ignorant, i won't argue. It is just what I want.
Your definition of standard is up to you. I have no intention of arguing with you cos everyone cannot want thesame thing
Re: How Many Parents Are Guilty Of This? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Sep 02, 2014
shizzleStar:
Your definition of standard is up to you. I have no intention of arguing with you cos everyone cannot want thesame thing

Fair enough

(1) (Reply)

Should Adult Men Be Allowed To Marry A MINOR. / Solution To Cheating In Marriage (COPIED) / I Played Both Sides And Now I Can't Live With My Conscience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.