Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,650 members, 7,816,664 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Why Are Notherners Beggars In Lagos . Why Are Able Bodied Into It? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Notherners Beggars In Lagos . Why Are Able Bodied Into It? (1101 Views)

Reward Hardworking Pure Water Sellers Not Lazy Beggars. / Am Stopping Giving Money To Able Beggars / Why Do Notherners Move About With Knife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Notherners Beggars In Lagos . Why Are Able Bodied Into It? by princebamm(m): 11:58am On Oct 27, 2008
WHY ARE NOTHERNERS BEGGARS IN LAGOS . WHY ARE ABLE BODIED INTO IT?
Seeing the ragged disabled people begging on the streets of Lagos draws out a lot of sympathy from the passers-by so that you go as far as dipping your hand into your lean pocket to give alms to the beggars. As you give alms to these supposed unfortunate members of society, you pass on with a feeling of satisfaction that you have once more contributed your own widow's mite to put a smile on the faces of these unfortunate people.

It is therefore disheartening to know that these so-called unfortunate members of society, who have no choice but to go on the streets to beg, are actually planted by able-bodied people who go to remote villages and lure disabled people to Lagos on the pretext that they want to help them.

These unsuspecting disabled people and the elderly are kept at various strategic points on the streets in the most pathetic conditions to draw out the greatest amount of sympathy. Their managers, who live in comfort in posh houses, now organise food vendors to supply food to their money-making 'beasts'. These beggars give their daily proceeds to their managers who they refer to as their 'kings'. This was revealed to me while I was working towards the 'World Conference on Mobilising the Disabled, with Focus on Africa' (which was eventually postponed). There is this street in Lagos called Kano Street, with the greatest number and most pathetic-looking beggars I have ever seen in my life. These beggars could be saved by reaching out to them, with a practical alternative means of livelihood that guarantees steady income, making them realise that there is dignity in labour and that their condition has not in any way made them subhuman; that they could still have a fulfilling life. They should be made to meet with people in the same or worse conditions that have made it in life despite their disabilities.
Re: Why Are Notherners Beggars In Lagos . Why Are Able Bodied Into It? by BabyJinx: 1:39pm On Oct 27, 2008
Re: Why Are Notherners Beggars In Lagos . Why Are Able Bodied Into It? by Ifygurl: 6:19am On Oct 28, 2008
The Northern beggars your talking about are usually Tuareg tribe. 
I heard they do that in all African country they reside in, not just Nigeria
(I'm not sure though, my grandfather told me about them and that's when i started researching about them and that's what i read in other African forum, but i'm not sure though)
Re: Why Are Notherners Beggars In Lagos . Why Are Able Bodied Into It? by shotster50(m): 7:37am On Oct 28, 2008
Most of these so called Northern Men are illegal immigrants from Niger and Chad.
Re: Why Are Notherners Beggars In Lagos . Why Are Able Bodied Into It? by namun(f): 1:06am On Nov 04, 2008
they need help!!
Re: Why Are Notherners Beggars In Lagos . Why Are Able Bodied Into It? by omoge(f): 2:36am On Nov 04, 2008
It is so sad. when disable pple in western country are driving car, buying homes and living the dream, the ones in nigeria are made to beg. what a pathetic country!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Does Killing A Spider Bring Badluck? / How Do You Say "In Fact" In Your Language? / Why Are Nigerians Jealous Of Somali Beauty?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.