Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling (12834 Views)

Fulfilling Your Responsibilities With Ease / Free Report As My Welcome Back Package. Title: Fulfilling Family Resolution / What's The Secret To Long-lasting And Fulfilling Relationships? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by 100Cents: 11:50am On Sep 06, 2014
AdeniyiA: I trust Nigerians, you'd be labelled as unserious element.
I hate it when people judge you based on their personal concept of ideal living, while failing to realise that what works for you might not work for me.

That will be for someone talking about an area he lacks experience...

1 Like

Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by komodapson(m): 11:50am On Sep 06, 2014
eleojo23: Forgot to add this to the original post.

'I do not fear failure. What I fear is succeeding at something beyond my wildest dream only to find out that it did not matter' - Francis Chan

Hmmm...really. Best quote i ever came across
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by komodapson(m): 12:04pm On Sep 06, 2014
fidzy: Nice tips OP but this will be useless for Lagos city esp Lagos city

Lol...na so o! Everybody on a red~eye,until dem pemmè
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by ifedun2: 12:07pm On Sep 06, 2014
Insightful!
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by Nobody: 1:00pm On Sep 06, 2014
Hmm...the world is in haste, but to where, it doesnt know!

1 Like

Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 06, 2014
It's crazy to get up in the morning sometimes especial when you re stuck with a low-paying job under a 'bîtchy' boss. To survive a week day, my own thought is that people should sleep early enough and try to sleep on your sides. It allows you to breathe deeper and thus you wake up well rested. I'm not a morning person anyway.
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by phadat(m): 1:46pm On Sep 06, 2014
insightful and thought provoking thanks op
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by bjdon: 1:48pm On Sep 06, 2014
This is all very true. I've been thinking recently that maybe things were better in the old days when the vast majority of people lived in the villages and had a basic rural lifestyle. You farmed/hunted enough for your family and did a little trade by batter to get any extras. So called modern life is just one big effort. For the average Nigerian it starts with common entrance, then JSS, then SSE/JAMB, then the soul destroying effort of trying to get a degree (unless your luck enough to do your degree studies abroad ) then it's look for a job, survive in the job, get married, have kids, bring up kids.... It all just seems so endless at times

2 Likes

Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by Foxycute(m): 2:39pm On Sep 06, 2014
[b][/b] Nyc one
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by beyondwalls: 3:26pm On Sep 06, 2014
Wow!!! Interesting write up. What was described is a malady that has eaten deep into the fabric of human existence, a race called rat race that can never be won. It is really difficult to manage when one has so many goals, aspirations and responsibilities as a father, husband, brother, uncle, emplyee/employer etc and also for highly creative people.

However, the bottom line is defining one's overall end or journey in life (On the death bed, what is it that will really make sense to me?). With the end or big picture in mind, life and task becomes meaningful and easier.

Not all that is important is urgent, some things are important and urgent, some are only important not urgent. Slow and steady resides within important not urgent quadrant.

2 Likes

Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by tsolution: 4:39pm On Sep 06, 2014
Are u ur own boss?

My day is programmed such that no matter how busy I am I'll always have time to connect with my creator. Cause this world is temporary and competition in worldly affairs diverts us all until we visit the grave.
[/quote]
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by vitus101: 4:57pm On Sep 06, 2014
beyondwalls:
Not all that is important is urgent, some things are important and urgent, some are only important not urgent. Slow and steady resides within important not urgent quadrant.
. Thanks @Beyondwalls. Many of us are running /striving/struggling/slaving to achieve so much in so little time that We forget to live life..we all want to build houses, buy cars,be famous, be popular, be affluent, be powerful yet we forget the sole reason for our existence..God help us!!!

3 Likes

Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by Candour(m): 7:53pm On Sep 06, 2014
@OP. Thanks a million times for this piece. Very insightful and thought provoking.
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by Donvilo(m): 8:13pm On Sep 06, 2014
It's all about priorities.

@O.P: Thanks for the topic
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by Osama10(m): 8:30pm On Sep 06, 2014
bjdon: This is all very true. I've been thinking recently that maybe things were better in the old days when the vast majority of people lived in the villages and had a basic rural lifestyle. You farmed/hunted enough for your family and did a little trade by batter to get any extras. So called modern life is just one big effort. For the average Nigerian it starts with common entrance, then JSS, then SSE/JAMB, then the soul destroying effort of trying to get a degree (unless your luck enough to do your degree studies abroad ) then it's look for a job, survive in the job, get married, have kids, bring up kids.... It all just seems so endless at times

I tell u, it's one hell of a journey. grin
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by NaLaugh: 8:34pm On Sep 06, 2014
100Cents:

Me too.

That's why you can laugh..

Yup! cool
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by oludy: 8:46pm On Sep 06, 2014
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by amokemi(m): 10:42pm On Sep 06, 2014
Reading this makes me wanna cry. The pressure of work is seriously affecting me. Most days I don't get to eat until I get home at night because of the increasingly deliverables. And despite all the struggle to keep up with the pressure, the oga still believes I'm useless. Tomorrow makes five years I started a career in banking and if I were to advise anybody now, please don't ever venture into banking unless your father owns the bank.

A friend we finished together from the University called me during the week and practically told me that I'm not living my dream. I've been sad since then.
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by Sarahn: 12:19am On Sep 07, 2014
@op
Finally someone understands.
I have had this debate to take life easy or to rush and get busy. It feels great knowing that there are still people who love to smell roses.

1 Like

Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by funshyboi(m): 5:23am On Sep 07, 2014
Tazmode: Perhaps you may not know but it's better to click the 'Reply' link not the 'Quote' link so that you don't use up so many plots of land. grin
aabi.
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by EmmyDe25(m): 7:27am On Sep 07, 2014
This is about the bestest post ive read in months; it was as if this was posted all because of me. My life of late has been centred around work; leaving me to sidestype a host of things: God(i hardly go to church these days), family, friends, having no time to ruminate over core things and make bold decisions. Its just something that is having a terrible effect on me.
Gone are those days i comment on virtually every post on NL front page, these days I dont even have the time to read the headlines, talk more of commenting. The linear life i live atm its something i really wanna bring an end to, albeit i'd searched for answers on how best to manage my time, its just not forthcoming. Not when you cant pre-empt what your to do-list would be like for the day; as there is always a 105% tendency of having something you didnt anticipate been directed at your desk which has to be executed within the short notice you have. leaving you to stay up until 10:30pm in the office just in the bid to meet deadline. I really NEED to strike a balance with my personal and work life, one seem to be getting the better side of the other atm which unfortunately is telling on my health.
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by Gudintent: 7:44am On Sep 07, 2014
NaLaugh: For years i found myself caught up in the madness of the 9-5. I had to hit the reset button and reconfigure all of that.

Now, i'm good. cool

So what do you do now 10-6, 8-4, 7-3, half hour +or- each way grin grin

Neva mind me o, just messing wit ya wink
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by Gudintent: 7:46am On Sep 07, 2014
EmmyDe25: This is about the bestest post ive read in months; it was as if this was posted all because of me. My life of late has been centred around work; leaving me to sidestype a host of things: God(i hardly go to church these days), family, friends, having no time to ruminate over core things and make bold decisions. Its just something that is having a terrible effect on me.
Gone are those days i comment on virtually every post on NL front page, these days I dont even have the time to read the headlines, talk more of commenting. The linear life i live atm its something i really wanna bring an end to, albeit i'd searched for answers on how best to manage my time, its just not forthcoming. Not when you cant pre-empt what your to do-list would be like for the day; as there is always a 105% tendency of having something you didnt anticipate been directed at your desk which has to be executed within the short notice you have. leaving you to stay up until 10:30pm in the office just in the bid to meet deadline. I really NEED to strike a balance with my personal and work life, one seem to be getting the better side of the other atm which unfortunately is telling on my health.

Ndo, take it easy bro wink
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by NaLaugh: 9:39am On Sep 07, 2014
Gudintent:

Now, i do 9 to life.

Honestly, i now literally work round the clock.

But there is a major difference. Now, i do everything at MY OWN time.
I invested the larger part of my income through the years of my 9-5.
I set up a few businesses (In Naija and here).

It takes a lot more hours to see to a smooth running of these things, but no matter how much
work it requires, it does NOT feel like work.
When i get tired, i take a break. I am not answerable to anyone.

I live a half mile from the beach (it is literally on my street).
Do you know how nice it is to be able to windsurf at the beach on a MONDAY morning?
By this time last year, that was practically impossible, and would have made a nice joke.

At some point in my career, i used to drive 120 miles (193 KM) 5-6 days a week to and from work.
The crazy goal requirements of my job, coupled with my own investment activities was slowly killing me.
Not only health and physically, but also socially. I had no time for anyone or anything outside work activities.

At the beginning of last year, my doctor said i was "hypertensive." Which was insane as i was 27 then.
That was when i knew this ship had to be docked. I made my last moves at my job and put in my resignation
to coincide with my birthday toward the end of last year (that was my best gift to myself.. ever!)

I'm focusing on my company full time. I do have a number of employees in my Lagos and Abuja businesses that were hired from Nairaland.

Right now, as i type this, it is 4:33 a.m.
My new life has no respect for time per se, and i love it.

When i'm not doing serious stuff, i can be found posting the silliest comments on Nairaland, and the Na Laugh website.
Mainly because i have come to appreciate the need to let loose, laugh and live life. The darn thing is too short.

I know this is a much longer response than you expected, but yeah.. that's what it is grin

1 Like

Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by NaLaugh: 9:40am On Sep 07, 2014
alotofgrace:

pls tell me what u did

Gudintent:

Now, i do 9 to life.

It takes a lot more hours to see to a smooth running of these things, but no matter how much

Do you know how nice it is to be able to windsurf at the beach on a MONDAY morning?
By this time last year, that was practically impossible, and would have made a nice joke.

At some point in my career, i used to drive a total of 120 miles (193 KM) 5-6 days a week (to and from work).
I eventually moved closer after a year of it, but that only cut the commute in half. I still did 60 miles every day.

The crazy goal requirements of my job, coupled with my own investment activities was slowly killing me.
Not only health-wise, but also socially. I had no time for anyone or anything outside work activities.

At the beginning of last year, my doctor said i was "hypertensive." Which was insane as i was 27 then.
That was when i knew this ship had to be docked. I made my last moves at my job and put in my resignation
to coincide with my birthday toward the end of last year (that was my best gift to myself.. ever!)

I'm focusing on my company full time. I do have a number of employees in my Lagos and Abuja businesses that were hired from Nairaland.

When i'm not doing serious stuff, i can be found posting the silliest comments on Nairaland (in all the broken English i can muster),
and also on the Na Laugh website.
I have come to appreciate the need to let loose, laugh and live life. The darn thing is too short.

I know this is a much longer response than you expected, but yeah.. that's what it is grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by Gudintent: 2:09pm On Sep 07, 2014
^^^^^

Inspiring cool
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by alotofgrace(m): 2:31pm On Sep 16, 2014
NaLaugh:

Now, i do 9 to life.

At some point in my career, i used to drive a total of 120 miles (193 KM) 5-6 days a week (to and from work).
I eventually moved closer after a year of it, but that only cut the commute in half. I still did 60 miles every day.

Not only health-wise, but also socially. I had no time for anyone or anything outside work activities.

When i'm not doing serious stuff, i can be found posting the silliest comments on Nairaland (in all the broken English i can muster),
and also on the Na Laugh website.
I have come to appreciate the need to let loose, laugh and live life. The darn thing is too short.

Bros boss ds response too short na...I like ds style buh with a contral job of 5 digit income e nor izi na. I have 4 days off n 4 days off buh wetin to do with. the off days I nor know....any idea for ur fellow?
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by eleojo23: 8:02pm On Dec 26, 2014
Re: Why Our Daily Living Is Becoming Less Fulfilling by bennyzer(m): 10:30am On Mar 30, 2015
Tazmode:
Perhaps you may not know but it's better to click the 'Reply' link not the 'Quote' link so that you don't use up so many plots of land. grin
Thanks but I rili needed d land.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

bugs / Growing Up, What Household Rule Did You Dislike Most And Why? / Super Eagles Star, Samuel Chukwueze Loses Grand Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.