Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,949 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:39 PM

Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core (48146 Views)

Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. / Human-like Species Discovered In South Africa (Photos) / Nigerian Survives 3-Days At Bottom Of Atlantic Ocean (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by dtito(m): 1:31pm On Sep 03, 2014
A reservoir of water three times the volume of all the oceans has been discovered deep beneath the Earth’s surface. The finding may explain where Earth’s seas came from, and lend some interesting evidence to the Hollow Earth Theory.

The water is hidden inside a blue rock called ringwoodite that lies 700 kilometres underground in the mantle, the layer of hot rock between Earth’s surface and its core.  The huge size of the reservoir throws new light on the origin of Earth’s water. Many geologists think water arrived in comets as they struck the planet, but the new discovery supports an alternative idea that the oceans gradually oozed out of the interior of the early Earth.

“It’s good evidence the Earth’s water came from within,” says Steven Jacobsen of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. The hidden water could also act as a buffer for the oceans on the surface, explaining why they have stayed the same size for millions of years.

Jacobsen’s team used 2000 seismometers to study the seismic waves generated by more than 500 earthquakes. These waves move throughout Earth’s interior, including the core, and can be detected at the surface. “They make the Earth ring like a bell for days afterwards,” says Jacobsen.

By measuring the speed of the waves at different depths, the team could figure out which types of rocks the waves were passing through. The water layer revealed itself because the waves slowed down, as it takes them longer to get through soggy rock than dry rock.

Jacobsen worked out in advance what would happen to the waves if water-containing ringwoodite was present. He grew ringwoodite in his lab, and exposed samples of it to massive pressures and temperatures matching those at 700 kilometres down.

Sure enough, they found signs of wet ringwoodite in the transition zone 700 kilometres down, which divides the upper and lower regions of the mantle. At that depth, the pressures and temperatures are just right to squeeze the water out of the ringwoodite. “It’s rock with water along the boundaries between the grains, almost as if they’re sweating,” says Jacobsen.

Jacobsen’s finding supports a recent study by Graham Pearson of the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada. Pearson studied a diamond from the transition zone that had been carried to the surface in a volcano, and found that it contained water-bearing ringwoodite, the first strong evidence that there was lots of water in the transition zone (Nature, doi.org/s6h).

“Since our initial report of hydrous ringwoodite, we’ve found another ringwoodite crystal, also containing water, so the evidence is now very strong,” says Pearson.

So far, Jacobsen only has evidence that the watery rock sits beneath the US. He now wants to find out if it wraps around the entire planet.

“We should be grateful for this deep reservoir,” says Jacobsen. “If it wasn’t there, it would be on the surface of the Earth, and mountain tops would be the only land poking out.”

12 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by eleojo23: 1:35pm On Sep 03, 2014
Science keeps discovering more and more. Methinks there are still many things science doesn't know yet. There is definitely a creator somewhere who masterfully designed the universe.

236 Likes 35 Shares

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Omexonomy: 1:47pm On Sep 03, 2014
Scientist should stop guessing untill sombory will be sent their.

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by dtito(m): 2:02pm On Sep 03, 2014
eleojo23: Science keeps discovering more and more. Methinks that there are still many things science doesn't know yet.
Yeah....d world is made outta 10 saying coming out of d mouth of d lord....were as one saying could make d world... Wat abt d other nine...dem go still d discover still more and more bro

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by dtito(m): 2:03pm On Sep 03, 2014
Omexonomy: Scientist should stop guessing untill sombory will be sent their.
D sound like d went.

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by estyvino(m): 2:17pm On Sep 03, 2014
Wartarhhh! E no get enemy!

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by natureblack(m): 2:42pm On Sep 03, 2014
Really
Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Babyboy1986(m): 2:42pm On Sep 03, 2014
Ok ooo.
Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by saxwizard(m): 2:42pm On Sep 03, 2014
not bad

iyaf comment
lobatan

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by snipperswill(m): 2:43pm On Sep 03, 2014
raelly?
Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Nikapetrelli(f): 2:43pm On Sep 03, 2014
Gud to knw.Fp tins

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by propzncribz: 2:44pm On Sep 03, 2014
I reckon this is the weapon that will be used to end the world. Don't be drilling for oil anyhow all you money hungry people.

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 03, 2014
who created this earth

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by mstik(f): 2:44pm On Sep 03, 2014
wow...
water makes up about two-thirds of the earth....
this reservoir is three times the size of all water on earth....
interesting.....

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 03, 2014
It came about after the seven days, that the water of the flood came upon the earth. In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on the same day all the fountains of the great deep burst open, and the floodgates of the sky were opened. The rain fell upon the earth for forty days and forty nights.…

Genesis 7 vs 10-12.

Interesting......

116 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 03, 2014
propzncribz: I reckon this is the weapon that will be used to end the world. Don't be drilling for oil anyhow all you money hungry people.

If you want to get that far down,you would have to drill hundreds of times deeper than your regular oil rig can drill now.

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 03, 2014
propzncribz: I reckon this is the weapon that will be used to end the world. Don't be drilling for oil anyhow all you money hungry people.

No its boko haram who will end it.
Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Sparrow13: 2:45pm On Sep 03, 2014
In the beginning, when God created the universe, The earth was formless and desolate. The raging ocean that covered everything was engulfed in total darkness, and the spirit of God was moving over the water.
Gen. 1:1-2
Then God commanded, "let the water below the sky come together in one place, so that the land will appear" and it was done.
He (GOD) name the land "Earth", and the water which had come together HE named "sea". And God was pleased with what he saw. Gen. 1:9-10
*THEY ONLY DESCOVER WHAT THE BIBLE SAID*

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by GreenBobo: 2:45pm On Sep 03, 2014
Interesting
Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by hohafrank(m): 2:46pm On Sep 03, 2014
Great discovery.
Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by c0nd0m: 2:46pm On Sep 03, 2014
[size=40pt]OP!!! WHERE IS THE SAUCE FOR THIS LIE?

Phuck
[/size]

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Okijajuju1(m): 2:46pm On Sep 03, 2014
[size=24pt]OP!!! WHERE IS THE SAUCE FOR THIS LIE?

[/size]

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by epospiky(m): 2:46pm On Sep 03, 2014
New discoveries everyday. Watch out for more!

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Jostico: 2:46pm On Sep 03, 2014
OMOR DEM DEY PREACH BIBLE FOR DISCOVERY??
My guy abeg try diplomat THEOREM FOR THEM
SAINTS........WELL.MAKE I NO LOST THE BIBLE SAYS THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF A MAN IS LIKE A FILTHY RAG UNTO THE LORD.ME SELF MY RIGHT NOT TO TALK OF EOUS NOR NESS..I NO JOIN OOO
Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Nobody: 2:47pm On Sep 03, 2014
YorubaJesus:

No its boko haram who will end it.

Off topic....but Boko and its brother in the Mid East ISIL will ultimately fail.

(Hint....it has to do with who made the weapons they use).
Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by ZUBY77(m): 2:47pm On Sep 03, 2014
Waste of time and resources.
In Africa, TB Joshua just prays and these things get revealed to him. I m sure he has seen this one.
Why spending billions of dollars trying to discover this?

I bet half of you won't understand what I mean here but its OK.
You can curse, isn't that the only thing your badly configured brain knows how to do?

17 Likes

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Dee60: 2:47pm On Sep 03, 2014
They are discovering what is in The Bible. If scientists will acknowledge The Bible they will see more and more truths. At the first flood, water came down from above and covered the earth. On the 40th day, the waters assuaged - I believe that at that pint the waters were taken down and have been locked up there, so that it no longer can destroy the earth.

Well done to the scientists who are discovering these things. God creates, scientists discover!

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Jostico: 2:47pm On Sep 03, 2014
The water is hidden inside a blue rock called
ringwoodite that lies 700 kilometres
underground in the mantle
new discovery don get name already.how he take happenabi my guy dey lie??
Oyibo na ghost..

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Nobody: 2:47pm On Sep 03, 2014
This water scares d shit out of me. What do they call people that are sacred of big ocean or so?

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by Vstuffs(m): 2:48pm On Sep 03, 2014
I pray it will not be use against humans
Seriously some things are better left as secret or should not have been discover

Do you want to learn web development,photoshop,java....then I have the right videos for you
https://www.nairaland.com/1788943/get-complete-web-development-video

Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by hazyfm: 2:48pm On Sep 03, 2014
really
Re: Massive Ocean Discovered Towards The Earths Core by drestoneokuta(m): 2:48pm On Sep 03, 2014
Job38:16 Have you gone to the sea’s sources, walked in the chamber of the deep?
Job38:8 Who enclosed the Sea behind doors when it burst forth from the womb
10 when I imposed my limit for it,
put on a bar and doors

11 and said, "You may come this far,
no farther;
here your proud waves stop"?

62 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Manatee: Sea Cow Rescued In Lagos (Photo) / Beautiful But Deadly Poison Dart Frogs (Pictures) / This Adorable Little Bird Is A Real-life Vampire (Videos, Photos)