Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover (12375 Views)

Innoson Made-In-Nigeria SUV Worth N5.6m / Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 / Top 25 Used Fuel Efficient Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by learned0007: 2:03pm On Sep 04, 2014
Hello Guys,

I am at crossroads and I need some advise here. I intend buying a tokunbo 4WD mid-size SUV / Crossover but I am yet to decide.

My budget is between 2.5 $ 2.8 million naira and the major factors that will determine my choice are - reliability & fuel efficiency.
A 4 cylinder would be ideal but a V6 can also be considered.

I know there are several options (Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, Hyundai Tucson/ix35, Nissan Xtrail/Rogue, Kia Spotage etc) but I would prefer suggestions based on personal experience on model type and year that has served you well. I have read a lot of reviews online but they all point to the fact that even new cars can have issues anytime which makes it difficult to decide on which to buy.

Over to you.... any suggestions with reasons would be appreciated.
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by nurey(m): 2:45pm On Sep 04, 2014
A car is only as good as the owner in terms of maintenance and reliability. All cars have issues or can develop issues at anytime. Look at this cars choose the one you admire and would like people to see you drive. Waiting for peoples review will only confuse you cause all the cars you mentioned lots of people on nairaland have a positive and negative first hand experience.

You forgot the ford ecosport and ford escape, bmw X3, merc GL class, honda HR-V, honda Element, nissan qashqi and qashqi +, acura Rdx and Zdx, mitsubishi outlander and AR..., hyundai santa fe, sorento ... Etc.

1 Like

Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by learned0007: 3:21pm On Sep 04, 2014
nurey: A car is only as good as the owner in terms of maintenance and reliability. All cars have issues or can develop issues at anytime. Look at this cars choose the one you admire and would like people to see you drive. Waiting for peoples review will only confuse you cause all the cars you mentioned lots of people on nairaland have a positive and negative first hand experience.
You forgot the ford ecosport and ford escape, bmw X3, merc GL class, honda HR-V, honda Element, nissan qashqi and qashqi +, acura Rdx and Zdx, mitsubishi outlander and AR..., hyundai santa fe, sorento ... Etc.

Honestly appreciate your input, I was assuming some kind of opinion pool would give a "majority carrying the vote" choice.

Besides, while all cars have their peculiar problems, I want to believe some are more problematic and less reliable than other regardless of owner regular maintenance.
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by king406(m): 4:02pm On Sep 04, 2014
When it comes to mid size suv's in Nigeria its definately the toyota highlander, which has 4cyl and v6 engine choice, rugged, fast, good fuel economy, low maintenance cost, and a good resale value. U should really check out the highlander, either the first generation or the second generation. They're all good. Cheers
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by nurey(m): 9:13pm On Sep 04, 2014
learned0007:

Honestly appreciate your input, I was assuming some kind of opinion pool would give a "majority carrying the vote" choice.

Besides, while all cars have their peculiar problems, I want to believe some are more problematic and less reliable than other regardless of owner regular maintenance.

People will majorly vote for toyotas cause they have have been very reliable model year after model year.

Mid-size SUVs come with V6 engines which nigerians term as not tOo friendly in terms of fuel efficiency compared to CUVs which have i4 and v6 variants.

If you want suv that are reliable let me give you some very good options
SUV
1. Toyota 4runner 2003-2008 model year
2. Toyota highlander 1st and 2nd generation
3. Lexus rx300 ad rx330
4. Nissan pathfinder 2004-20009 model year

CUV
1. Toyota rav 4 avoid the 2nd generation transmission issues
2. Hyundai outlander 2nd generation very rugged and beautiful
3. Honda cr-v the most capable and loved crossover vehicle
4. Ford escape 2004 model upwards lovely ride and capable
5.Kia sportage
All this I mentioned I have not driven all but I have people who have been using it nothing less than 2years and I have not even seen oil change in some not to talk of mechanic coming close to it especially the ford and hyundai because they were bought brand new.

4 Likes

Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by yungboss(m): 12:53am On Sep 06, 2014
How about the 2001-2004 Nissan pathfinder, the 3.5l vq35de engine?
I think I like that car, the LE variant...
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by nurey(m): 4:45am On Sep 06, 2014
yungboss: How about the 2001-2004 Nissan pathfinder, the 3.5l vq35de engine?
I think I like that car, the LE variant...
The car is one rugged beauty but his price will also buy the 2005-2010 pathfinder so what's the use of buying the old model
His budget is 2.5m to 2.8m
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by Nobody: 5:04am On Sep 06, 2014
OP, why do you need 4WD?
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by bravolad(m): 7:45am On Sep 06, 2014
Any particular reason for the emphasis on 4WD? Amongst your list, the rav4 would provide a better option in terms of reliability and maintenance in the long run. An i4 engine will give a better mpg but with a reduced performance vis-a-vis a 6 cylinder. I choose the rav4 because of availability of spare parts and associated cost, mechanics and our road conditions.

Someone mentioned Toyota Highlander, which is not part of your list. I think Toyota has 2003 highlander base 2.4l 4 cylinder with 4 speed automatic. This could very well suit your needs. But mind you, if you ever test drive a v6 of the highlander during your ownership of the SUV, chances are that you will hate your 4 cylinder HL. It is also very reliable, parts are readily available as well as mechanics.

I have a neighbour who uses a Kia Sportage. It seems rugged and reliable, however, changing something as little as oil pressure switch could become a harrowing experience getting it in the open market. During one of our discussions recently, his major challenge using the vehicle is availability of spare parts and knowledgeable mechanics.
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by Nobody: 9:07am On Sep 06, 2014
Still waiting on OP.

Unless you're a surveyor or similar profession or farmer then there's no need for 4WD in a Nigerian metroplex.
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by sultaan(m): 5:51pm On Sep 06, 2014
Ford Escape, Chevy Equinox, and Mazda CX-5 which is actually the best of this group is what I will recommend.

These CUVs are cheaper and more fun to drive than the Japanese brands.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2010-chevrolet-equinox-expected-to-achieve-32-mpg-highway-car-news

If you really feel like getting a 4WD I'll recommend the Subaru Forester.It is the SUV of the year and this is not the first time it is considered the best SUV

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/suv/1312_2014_suv_of_the_year_subaru_forester/
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by olamide1: 6:37pm On Sep 06, 2014
learned0007: Hello Guys,

I am at crossroads and I need some advise here. I intend buying a tokunbo 4WD mid-size SUV / Crossover but I am yet to decide.

My budget is between 2.5 $ 2.8 million naira and the major factors that will determine my choice are - reliability & fuel efficiency.
A 4 cylinder would be ideal but a V6 can also be considered.

I know there are several options (Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, Hyundai Tucson/ix35, Nissan Xtrail/Rogue, Kia Spotage etc) but I would prefer suggestions based on personal experience on model type and year that has served you well. I have read a lot of reviews online but they all point to the fact that even new cars can have issues anytime which makes it difficult to decide on which to buy.

Over to you.... any suggestions with reasons would be appreciated.

Hello, my brother how are you today? The best will be Honda CR-V, but if you want to consider another car, I have 2006 Honda Pilot that I want to sell and 2004 Toyota Corolla, if you are interested you can email me on omotundeluv1@yahoo.com. I live in Georgia in U.S. I will send my phone number to your email whenever you want to discuss with me.
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by yungboss(m): 8:05pm On Sep 06, 2014
nurey:
The car is one rugged beauty but his price will also buy the 2005-2010 pathfinder so what's the use of buying the old model
His budget is 2.5m to 2.8m
true...i didn't read his post properly...
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by learned0007: 8:42am On Sep 15, 2014
CityNG: Still waiting on OP.

Unless you're a surveyor or similar profession or farmer then there's no need for 4WD in a Nigerian metroplex.

I am actually not a surveryor. Reason I prefer a 4WD is because of the area I commute daily, the roads are not tarred and can be very rough especially during the rainy season.
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by Nobody: 10:08am On Sep 15, 2014
learned0007:

I am actually not a surveryor. Reason I prefer a 4WD is because of the area I commute daily, the roads are not tarred and can be very rough especially during the rainy season.

I see.

So only 4WD vehicles can access area during inclement weather?
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by learned0007: 5:24pm On Sep 19, 2014
CityNG:

I see.

So only 4WD vehicles can access area during inclement weather?

Chief, the keyword in most post is "prefer".
Definitely, 2WD can also function in the area, but I'm just naturally inclined towards a 4WD for that kind of terrain.

Thanks for your input though cos I realize you agree that a vehicle with higher ground clearance (SUVs & Crossovers) is ideal for nigerian roads but 4WD is not necessary except extreme cases.
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 19, 2014
learned0007:

Definitely, 2WD can also function in the area, but I'm just naturally inclined towards a 4WD for that kind of terrain.

Thanks for your input though cos I realize you agree that a vehicle with higher ground clearance (SUVs & Crossovers) is ideal for nigerian roads but 4WD is not necessary except extreme cases.

I know what the keyword is and what it signifies.

Perhaps my question wasn't clear so let me ask it again.

In the specific areas that you intend to travel in, is it only vehicles that has 4WD that you see on those roads?

When I post on Nairaland, my posts are not only meant for the existing audience but for anyone that reads the posting now or in the future. If we deliberate this well then we can serve others before us to use this thread to gauge if they really need 4WD.

Good luck on your search.
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by nurey(m): 10:34am On Sep 20, 2014
CityNG:

I know what the keyword is and what it signifies.

Perhaps my question wasn't clear so let me ask it again.

In the specific areas that you intend to travel in, is it only vehicles that has 4WD that you see on those roads?

When I post on Nairaland, my posts are not only meant for the existing audience but for anyone that reads the posting now or in the future. If we deliberate this well then we can serve others before us to use this thread to gauge if they really need 4WD.

Good luck on your search.

Mr CityNG I know you are doing a lot of good here with your knowledge but if I am not wrong the op needs a car with high ground clearance hence his choice of words 4WD.
You can help the op by explaining
1. 4WD
2. Real time 4WD
3. Partial 4WD
4. AWD
5. 2WD

You can even do others more good by naming those SUV and CUV model example under each, thank you sir.
Note I may be wrong about all those WD you can strike the ones that are not there out, thank you
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 20, 2014
nurey:

Mr CityNG I know you are doing a lot of good here with your knowledge but if I am not wrong the op needs a car with high ground clearance hence his choice of words 4WD.
1. 4WD
2. Real time 4WD
3. Partial 4WD
4. AWD
5. 2WD

You can even do others more good by naming those SUV and CUV model example under each, thank you sir.
Note I may be wrong about all those WD you can strike the ones that are not there out, thank you

I don't do well suggesting cars to others.

My only intention on this thread was to find out why OP needs 4WD.

I think he answered by stating it was just his preference which is cool. I think others will read between the lines that 4WD is not totally necessary.

Good luck to OP on his search.

CityNG out.
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by lekush(m): 8:04am On Sep 21, 2014
Hello guys, I really appreciate your contribution towards the guy trying to select a SUV/CUV.
Kindly advice me, I'm considering buying Mazda tribute because its cheap (about 1.1M) Is this car reliable and does it give issues, maintanance and preformance is also beign considered. I understand it shares same engine with Ford Escape. Your advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Reliable & Fuel Efficient Mid-size Suv/crossover by learned0007: 9:52am On Sep 22, 2014
CityNG:
I don't do well suggesting cars to others.
My only intention on this thread was to find out why OP needs 4WD.
I think he answered by stating it was just his preference which is cool. I think others will read between the lines that 4WD is not totally necessary.
Good luck to OP on his search.
CityNG out.

Thanks for your response. Regarding the bolded above in your post, seems you missed this bolded part of my earlier post below.

learned0007:

nurey:
1. 4WD
2. Real time 4WD
3. Partial 4WD
4. AWD
5. 2WD

@Nurey, It is very clear that "higher ground clearance" concept is totally different from "4WD". Hence you have some SUV/CUVs (which already have high ground clearance) with FWD while others have 4WD or AWD and a choice can be made depending on your peculiar requirements.
As for the explanation about 4WD, Real time 4WD, AWD, 2WD/FWD, etc. I think "google" can do a fantastic job on that.

@all, the OP appreciates all your diverse and intelligent responses wink

(1) (Reply)

Fashola: Bad Roads Not Cause Of Accidents On Highways / The Confessions Of A Crooked Car Dealer. / Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.