Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,761 members, 7,824,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate (12401 Views)

Problems Encountered By The Introduction Of The New Vehicle Tinted Glass Permit / Vehicle Tinted Glass Permit Now Free-nigerian Police. / My Truck Impounded Today because Of Tinted Permit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by donphilopus: 12:15am On Nov 22, 2013
Anyone driving tinted glass vehicles without permit now risk a fine of N50,000 or a six-month jail term or both.

This was as a result of the final passage by the Senate, on Thursday, the Bill for an Act to amend the Motor Vehicle (Prohibition of Tinted Glass) Act aimed at checking indiscriminate use of tinted glass vehicles without approval.

The options of fine, jail term or both were contained in the bill, first read on the floor on April 18, 2013 and sponsored by Senator Ita Enang.

The decision of the Senate followed the adoption and approval of the report of its joint committee on Police Affairs and Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters on the bill.

The chairman of the joint committee, Senator Paulinus Nwagwu, said the bill “seeks essentially, to amend the extant law in order to check indiscriminate use of tinted glass vehicles which beat security checks and carry out nefarious activities.”

Nwagwu said the need for the bill arose, following the reactions of Nigerians to the recent announcement by the Nigeria Police of its intention to arrest and prosecute Nigerians driving cars with tinted glass.

He said it was, therefore, necessary to let Nigerians know that the police was not trying to introduce a new law but was merely trying to enforce an already existing Regulations 66 (2) of the National Traffic Regulations of 1997 and the Motor Vehicles (Prohibition of Tinted Glass) Act.

Nwagwu said the Motor Vehicle (Prohibition of Tinted Glass ) Act Amendment Bill 2013 was thus sponsored to, among others, amend the enabling act with a view to streamlining it with the present realities.

“The bill also seeks to address the persisting injustice meted out to Nigerians through embarrassment and harassment, which constitutes a serious affront to the fundamental rights of Nigerians against discrimination as enshrined under Section 42 of the Constitution,” he added.

He said various stakeholders, during the public hearing on the bill, had emphasised the need to address current upsurge in terrorism and other crimes like kidnapping, child trafficking.

The bill, among other provisions, requested buyers of imported vehicles with tinted, shaded, coloured, darkened or treated glass to change it to transparent ones within 14 days from the date of arrival in Nigeria or date of purchase.

In the alternative, it stipulated that buyers of such vehicles should request for a permit for the use of such tinted glass vehicles from the Office of the Inspector General of Police, anywhere in the country, within 90 days of importing the vehicle.

[url=http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/news-headlines/item/26881-users-of-tinted-glass-risk-n50000-fine-6-month-jail-term-%E2%80%94senate.html]DO YOU NEED THE SOURCE? IF YES, CLICK HERE[/url]
Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by waleadex(m): 4:49am On Nov 22, 2013
It is ok. It is going to help in reducing common crimes associated to automobiles.
Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by Emchio: 6:05am On Nov 22, 2013
These guys are dead selfish....

5 Likes

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by Burger01(m): 6:54am On Nov 22, 2013
The senates should define what 'tinted' is and type of tinted vehicle. There are some vehicles with all round tinted and there are some with windscreens, passenger and drivers glasses untinted and which of course the security could see the driver and passenger clearly. Senate should also come out clearly what amount we are expected to pay for tinted permits. Currently I heard the amount is 15k. Is this amount not exorbitant?

1 Like

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by donphilopus: 8:00am On Nov 22, 2013
Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by Nobody: 8:58am On Nov 22, 2013
We really underestimate the stup1d.ity of some so called lawmakers. A country like Nigeria that has very hot climate and scorching sun, it's doesn't require moderate I.Q to know u.v protection is needed. THESE GLASSES ARE COLOURED TO PROTECT THE INTERIOR OF THE CAR AND IT'S OCCUPANTS. GOSH!!!!!

No legislation on tackling the canker worm, divisive, destructive force called CORRUPTION which all of them are basking n soaked in. Dirty politicians that will always disguise personal ambition as public concern.

44 Likes

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by Okijajuju1(m): 9:35am On Nov 22, 2013
Oya Law makers, Arrest una selfs first as I can bet my last card say over 50% of una dey use Tinted glass cars with Mopol..

This law should be ammended to vehicles that are artificially tinted.. angry

7 Likes

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by Nobody: 9:35am On Nov 22, 2013
Still waiting for the PIB...

1 Like

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by swtcharissa(f): 9:37am On Nov 22, 2013
We don hear,

1 Like

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by nairaman66(m): 9:38am On Nov 22, 2013
The police have finally bribed the SENATE!!

3 Likes

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by sammie4real: 9:38am On Nov 22, 2013
Anything wet dem like make dem do . Naija forever!!!
Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 22, 2013
Till the day the lawmakers passes a bill against corruption, that will be the day i will start taking them serious. They should make the punishment for corruption a death penalty.

8 Likes

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by tellwisdom: 9:41am On Nov 22, 2013
What is tinted glass??
Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by Fazhy: 9:42am On Nov 22, 2013
What is tinted glass??

A glass that is arranged together after shattering.

5 Likes

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by donphilopus: 9:46am On Nov 22, 2013
tellwisdom: What is tinted glass??
Those coloured(dark) glasses wey U o go 4 fit C D person wey dey inside motor

1 Like

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by daRealest(m): 9:47am On Nov 22, 2013
it begins with dem, I doubt it if they all have permit for their tinted glasses..btw, someone could get the license and still carry out criminal acts since the vehicles won't be stopped for checking

1 Like

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by sexymoma(f): 9:49am On Nov 22, 2013
tellwisdom: What is tinted glass??
Are you actually telling wisdom. undecided Your Moniker is something else.
Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by UyiIredia(m): 9:50am On Nov 22, 2013
gboss4sure: Till the day the lawmakers passes a bill against corruption, that will be the day i will start taking them serious. They should make the punishment of corruption a death penalty.

They will never because believe it or not their system thrives on corruption as seen in greedy allowances that mock the poverty of the avergae Nigerian.
Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by Cholison(m): 9:53am On Nov 22, 2013
All siren blaring convoys on our highways should go to jail for five years or five million naira. That way there will be sanity across the land and avoidable death arising from siren blaring convoys shall effectively be curtailed.
Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by YoshiMaster: 9:54am On Nov 22, 2013
Sometimes all these laws in Nigeria just make me laugh.

What is the original purpose of a tint, isn't it to filter some of the suns rays, thereby keeping you cooler?

In saner climes, they have a tint value not to be exceeded, but here look what we have. Keep in mind that Nigeria is one hot muthafuc....

So clap for dummies, one again they have excelled in stupidity. No scientific approach whatsoever, they just say ban them all.

Now there is jail time, just imagine being in a cell with like hardened guys, and every body is telling their war stories.
"Hey what u in for?", "stealing",
"u?", "I killed someone, but I regret it"
"u?", "I stole a car"
"What about you, new guy?", "me?", "well I was driving a tinted car."

Expect a ban on sunglasses soon, police officers need to be able to see ur eyes, so they can know if you're looking at them funny.

27 Likes

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by bizfirst: 9:57am On Nov 22, 2013
Then, I perceive kidnappers and fraudsters applying for a license too. And someone at the top smiling to the bank everyday!

1 Like

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by 80million1: 9:59am On Nov 22, 2013
Shioor!
Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by Donmams(m): 10:00am On Nov 22, 2013
It is unfortunate that our national sinators think that banning tinted glasses is a good strategy for fighting crime. It is even more unfortunate that our esteemed lawbreakers will the first to break such a law. These people are only there to fill their stomachs. The rest of Nigerians can go to hell as far as they are concerned.

1 Like

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by Sunymoore(m): 10:01am On Nov 22, 2013
Holy shyte
Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by carmenblandish: 10:09am On Nov 22, 2013
WETIN senate wan see inside my motor.......me that was thinking of tinting my dodge nitro immediately e land naija......this government and sawa bele for me....first dem wan chaj me 70% extra to clear my moto....now dem wan jail me for tinting my motor....meanwhile dem tint there own.

1 Like

Re: Users Of Tinted Glass Risk N50,000 Fine, 6-Month Jail Term —Senate by yomalex(m): 10:13am On Nov 22, 2013
including themselves ?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fashola: Bad Roads Not Cause Of Accidents On Highways / Pls Help Code P0773 Shift Solenoid "E" Malfunction. / 10 Of The Most Expensive Limousines In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.