Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:00 AM

What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? (2751 Views)

Is There Anything Wrong With This Kiss? (photos) / I'm A Submissive Woman: What's Wrong With That? / Who Is a Mama's Boy? What's Wrong With Being One? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 04, 2014
My people help me judge this matter. I'm a young man, mid 30s, 5th wedding anniversary a few days away. To prove how sharp I am, we had our 1st child before our 1st anniversary. Unfortunately he died before he turned one, thanks to Lagos residents doctors strike. But to prove how complete I am my wife was pregnant less than 4 months after this loss, trust me I would have put her in the family way a week later but we had to observe at least "2 months of silence" in honor of the deceased. My point in all this introduction is that I am fearfully and wonderfully made, complete in all departments. Now to the issue, my son is approaching 3 but due to some personal reasons which I cannot discuss in this section of nairaland, I have decided not to have another child. But people no go allow me rest, the way they disturb me you would think they want to give my unborn children scholarship. My younger ones no de help matter, one get 3 children another one wife just born 2nd child, but I no send, overtaking is allowed in this ministry. So my people, am I abnormal for deciding to have just one child, why people like football team?

2 Likes

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Lilimax(f): 2:44pm On Sep 04, 2014
My brother, there is nothing wrong in having one Child provided you're comfortable with it.

Times are so hard in the country and it's advisable to give birth to the number of children
you can carter for very well.

As long as your wife is okay with it, case closed!. smiley

6 Likes

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by pickabeau1: 2:46pm On Sep 04, 2014
As long as u r happy with your decisions and the consequences of that decision

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 04, 2014
Lilimax: My brother, there is nothing wrong in having one Child provided you're comfortable with it.

Times are so hard in the country and it's advisable to give birth to the number of children

. Actually my wife is not okay with it. Though she is part of the reason I have taken the decision. But she can't give me any good reason she wants another child aside what people will say if we have only one child.
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 04, 2014
pickabeau1: As long as u r happy with your decisions and the consequences of that decision
. My point exactly is, what are the consequences? Its like some people have children like spare tyre, incase one dies you have back up or "spare child"

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by pickabeau1: 3:04pm On Sep 04, 2014
olowodaddy: . My point exactly is, what are the consequences? Its like some people have children like spare tyre, incase one dies you have back up or "spare child"

That may seem crude to some but it is not less valid than your desire to have one child

Tradtionally kidshave been a support system for when parents are old, a means of achieving expansion however quality of the child is very important.

One child may be more successful than the remaining siblings. I have single children as friends who are doing very well

However the choice is yours
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Godmystrength: 3:04pm On Sep 04, 2014
As long as you and your spouse are in agreement then no wahala..... But let your mother know that it is your decision o before they will start giving your wife different names

lol @
olowodaddy: My people help me judge this matter. I'm a young man, mid 30s, 5th wedding anniversary a few days away. To prove how sharp I am, .........trust me I would have put her in the family way a week later .......... My point in all this introduction is that I am fearfully and wonderfully made, complete in all departments.

2 Likes

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Lilimax(f): 3:14pm On Sep 04, 2014
olowodaddy: . Actually my wife is not okay with it. Though she is part of the reason I have taken the decision. But she can't give me any good reason she wants another child aside what people will say if we have only one child.
If your wife is not okay with it just get ready for another child.
The ball is always in the woman's court in this matter smiley
Don't ask me how lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Sep 04, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin I just had to comment because of your introduction, talk about confidence!!!
please just pity your wife and give her one more tongue

I am sure that before this thread enters the second page, she should be pregnant if u so wish grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Sep 04, 2014
Godmystrength: As long as you and your spouse are in agreement then no wahala..... But let your mother know that it is your decision o before they will start giving your wife different names
. Men NA those names my wife de fear pass. And I can't get mummy to see reason. She will just conclude that I have been jazzed or something has become wrong with my "completeness". My decision sounds very Unafrican. But I still wonder why people don't reason like me, no offense just wondering. I believe my son is better positioned to get the best in life because of this decision. Wonder why people don't see it this way and keep suspecting I'm not complete or the single child may die.

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Chazzyboy: 3:21pm On Sep 04, 2014
Multiply it u never can tell if next is gonna be our messi
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Godmystrength: 3:22pm On Sep 04, 2014
olowodaddy: . Men NA those names my wife de fear pass. And I can't get mummy to see reason. She will just conclude that I have been jazzed or something has become wrong with my "completeness". My decision sounds very Unafrican. But I still wonder why people don't reason like me, no offense just wondering. I believe my son is better positioned to get the best in life because of this decision. Wonder why people don't see it this way and keep suspecting I'm not complete or the single child may die.
plus the fact that you lost your first child, she will never let you rest...

If your wife wants another child just get ready for another one because you will have it. Please don't ask me how she will do it.

3 Likes

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 04, 2014
bestestgirl: grin grin grin grin grin grin I just had to comment because of your introduction, talk about confidence!!!
please just pity your wife and give her one more tongue

I am sure that before this thread enters the second page, she should be pregnant if u so wish grin grin grin
. Ya if I so wish. But I've not seen any reason to so wish. The only reason some people give codedly is just in case one dies. I might as well have 12 (with 11 girls cos I really planned to revenge wetin my inlaws do me with bride price) cos if one can die 10 can also die. My point is why should I so wish.

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Tapout(m): 3:28pm On Sep 04, 2014
just give birth to the number of children you can comfortably train. smiley.........there are couples that have up to 9 kids and counting, and at the end they give them out one by one once they've come of age, make dem go do ekiaete/okon sad...u can imagine that

2 Likes

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by thorpido(m): 3:29pm On Sep 04, 2014
People who have just one child most times have medical issues and can't have another child. I think you should give another child a shot.
The fact that you lost a child won't make this go away and your wife is not in agreement too.She's the goalkeeper so the buck stops at her table.
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by crackhaus: 3:45pm On Sep 04, 2014
Oga if there are no medical reasons or financial constraints as to why you don't want another child, then I urge to reconsider your stance and spray your seed into your willing and ready wife...if not for her sake, then do it for the sake of your 3year old son by providing him with some company.
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Sep 04, 2014
i understand what you re going through. As long as your wife is on board, that's the approval youe need. It's better to have one child that you love than 5 you relly don't want.
Besides five children can perish together in an instant.

2 Likes

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by UjSizzle(f): 4:29pm On Sep 04, 2014
crackhaus: Oga if there are no medical reasons or financial constraints as to why you don't want another child, then I urge to reconsider your stance and spray your seed into your willing and ready wife...if not for her sake, then do it for the sake of your 3year old son by providing him with some company.
Geez man grin
If I hadn't already signed up in a convent, I'd be all over you grin
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by zed7: 4:31pm On Sep 04, 2014
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by crackhaus: 4:48pm On Sep 04, 2014
UjSizzle:
Geez man grin
If I hadn't already signed up in a convent, I'd be all over you grin
grin

We can always un-sign you, ya know?
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by UjSizzle(f): 4:58pm On Sep 04, 2014
crackhaus:
grin

We can always un-sign you, ya know?
grin
We need to talk btw. Very important conversation angry

@OP. What does the wife want? I think you should give your kid a sibling though.
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by damiso(f): 5:10pm On Sep 04, 2014
Oga abeg naa just one more if only to give your child a playmate. grin I smile when I see my daughter and her brother doing stuff together.You should have seen how he hugged her when she got back from school today smiley

Even me that I have two I get asked everytime ' are you and your husband really really really sure you want just two kids' when I say yes they say I am not serious. My mum keeps saying ' so jack and Jill lo fe bi grin' meaning ' so you just want to have jack and Jill' and she is convinced am not serious.

But I am.
Dead serious.I sincerely desire no more when I see babies I say 'awwwww so cute' carry them and hand them back to their mothers sharply before my uterus starts getting ideas grin grin

4 Likes

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by crackhaus: 5:18pm On Sep 04, 2014
UjSizzle:
grin
We need to talk btw. Very important conversation angry
Okay..
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 04, 2014
damiso: Oga abeg naa just one more if only to give your child a playmate. grin I smile when I see my daughter and her brother doing stuff together.You should have seen how he hugged her when she got back from school today smiley
grin grin
. Touching. You almost converted me. Is there nobody that wants to have just one kid like me out there? I'm beginning to feel like an alien. Or am an alien? if you are like me please come out and support a brother.

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 04, 2014
crackhaus:
Okay..
. What are two both of you up to? Trying to make more babies in a thread about making less babies? Hmm
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by pickabeau1: 5:39pm On Sep 04, 2014
You dont need to hve someone else to make a decision that is yours to make and yours to enjoy or suffer the consequences

olowodaddy: . Touching. You almost converted me. Is there nobody that wants to have just one kid like me out there? I'm beginning to feel like an alien. Or am an alien? if you are like me please come out and support a brother.

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Sep 04, 2014
Lilimax: My brother, there is nothing wrong in having one Child provided you're comfortable with it.

Your submission is ok but I may not agree with the bolded if it is predicated on finance
When it comes to producing offspring it shouldn't be predicated on ones financial status
This is because if everyone should produce the number of children they can carter for financially then there are rich and famous in the world and our society that haven't done justice to that thought process(Bill Clinton and co comes to mind)

I don't think Op based his decision on finances but maybe on some other reasons best known to him
In a nutshell, finances may play a role in deciding the number of kids couples may plan to have but there are other important reasons to consider. This should purely be the prerogative of the couples involved.
Personally I would have loved to hear the Op's reason for choosing to have only a child, unfortunately he'd made it known that he doesn't want to share it openly here. However, I must warn that he accommodate his wife's choices too (or satisfactorily convince her) cos it seemed that this development was never agreed on between the two party at the onset.

crackhaus: Oga if there are no medical reasons or financial constraints as to why you don't want another child, then I urge to reconsider your stance and spray your seed into your willing and ready wife...if not for her sake, then do it for the sake of your 3year old son by providing him with some company.

Hmmmm!
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 04, 2014
pickabeau1: You dont need to hve someone else to make a decision that is yours to make and yours to enjoy or suffer the consequences

. Abeg no vex, but what are those consequences, I assume U mean negative consequences. Cos right now I can only see the good sides of having just one kid. Please enlighten a brother.the reason I opened this thread is because I was actually contemplating another kid. But I paused because I found out the only reason I was thinking about it was because of what people were saying not because I saw anything good in having more kids
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 04, 2014
damiso: Oga abeg naa just one more if only to give your child a playmate. grin I smile when I see my daughter and her brother doing stuff together.You should have seen how he hugged her when she got back from school today smiley

Even me that I have two I get asked everytime ' are you and your husband really really really sure you want just two kids' when I say yes they say I am not serious. My mum keeps saying ' so jack and Jill lo fe bi grin' meaning ' so you just want to have jack and Jill' and she is convinced am not serious.

But I am.
Dead serious.I sincerely desire no more when I see babies I say 'awwwww so cute' carry them and hand them back to their mothers sharply before my uterus starts getting ideas grin grin

That's very funny ma'am.
Long life for the two kids though smiley
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by crackhaus: 5:57pm On Sep 04, 2014
olowodaddy: . What are two both of you up to? Trying to make more babies in a thread about making less babies? Hmm
Hehehe... she's my sister in the Lord.
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by crackhaus: 5:59pm On Sep 04, 2014
IrishKez:
Hmmmm!
You agree right? grin
Re: What's Wrong With Having Only One Child? by pickabeau1: 5:59pm On Sep 04, 2014
olowodaddy: . Abeg no vex, but what are those consequences, I assume U mean negative consequences. Cos right now I can only see the good sides of having just one kid. Please enlighten a brother.the reason I opened this thread is because I was actually contemplating another kid. But I paused because I found out the only reason I was thinking about it was because of what people were saying not because I saw anything good in having more kids

I did not mean it in a negative light
But every decison has a consequence.. whether good or bad

Nothing ventured; nothing gained..

It is YOUR decision, YOU will live with the rewards; YOU will live with YOUR wife,..its YOU

Synonyms of consequence

1. outcome, issue, upshot, sequel

(1) (2) (Reply)

Air Bed Prices In Nigeria / Please Save A Life. / Need Someone To Educate Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.