Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Nigerians Abroad Remit $5bn Annually - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians Abroad Remit $5bn Annually (1284 Views)

Diaspora Nigerians Remit $21bn For 2015 / Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits / Nigeria Loses N750bn[$5bn] Annually To Non-metering Of Oil Wells (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Abroad Remit $5bn Annually by my2cents(m): 3:30pm On Jul 26, 2006
What A Shame!

A report from www.independentngonline.com/news/44/ARTICLE/7596/2006-07-26.html states that those abroad send $5billion annually thus, "boosting the country’s domestic economy substantially." Though not as much as the Mexicans ($15billion), it is still a lot of money.

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this picture? Are those of us in the diaspora responsible for boosting the domestic economy of Nigeria? When the likes of OBJ sees this, what will be the motivation to do what he took an oath to do? Why make moves towards improving education when Aunty Ijeoma will be sending Sunny money via western union?

Again, is it just me or am I all alone here as the author of the "Musings of a mad man" series? grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $5bn Annually by Imnakoya(m): 10:43pm On Jul 26, 2006
The there has been a lot of chatter on remittance and its impact in developing countries lately. Some have somewhat equated/compared it the aids received from western nations.

The message here is that the remittance being sent every 'now and then' has some direct and indirect effect on the national economy and somewhat contributes the the ' economic 'liveliness' of the nation. It is not intended to be seen as a replacement for government funding.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $5bn Annually by Seun(m): 11:41pm On Aug 06, 2006
I'm sorry, but I consider private sector decisions rather than 'government funding' to be what truly drives a nation!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $5bn Annually by my2cents(m): 3:17am On Aug 07, 2006
Seun true, but (and you knew this was coming wink) those of us abroad are not responsible for the well-being of Nigerian citizens. It the duty of those sworn in to elected offices there to protect its citizens and uphold the constitution of the land.

So to summarize, should we send money home "every now and then"? sure. Should what we send home be used as an excuse (albeit a stupid one) to not do what those in office where elected to do? Absolutement Non! grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $5bn Annually by Seun(m): 1:00am On Aug 08, 2006
What they are elected to do is to maintain law and order, which is completely different from the issue of remmittance. Giving us money is not the government's duty. I feel more comfortable with Nigerians abroad sending money home than with government claiming to want to do the equivalent - the burearcrats will benefit at our expense.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $5bn Annually by my2cents(m): 3:49am On Aug 08, 2006
Weeelll Seun:

though I hvnt read the naija constitution in a while, I am pretty sure that govt is to do more than just maintain law and order. As for "giving us money", I didnt imply that. Of course they "give" you money, though most of it indirectly - via the roads you drive on, etc. Direct forms of giving money include the student bursaries and scholarships.

Sure, those of us abroad should give money, I agree. however, when we give as a means of alleviating one's problems, that isnt right at all. If the government, for instance provided the right environment that would create jobs (yes, via various policies, it is the govt's job to create the right environment to attract foreign direct investment, etc), then there would be no excessively high unemployment which would relate to less calls from pple in naija to those abroad to the effect of "bros, make you help ur broda now" or "my pikin wan start sec. sch, make u help us with the school fees (as if I am the one who impregnated his wife grin)".

Feel me? wink
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $5bn Annually by Seun(m): 11:38am On Aug 08, 2006
There is no excessively high unemployment in Nigeria. Your beneficiaries might simply be scamming you. wink
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $5bn Annually by my2cents(m): 1:41pm On Aug 08, 2006
Fortunately, I don't have the extended family that some pple have. They don't bother me for money and when I send, it is out of love and not necessity. Havind said that, I beg to differ with what u said. I, first of all, didnt say or imply "excessively high unemployment". There is unemployment for sure, how high, that I don't know. There is unemployment everywhere and thatz a fact. I get my sense of where the country is from a combination of Naija magazines, newspapers, forums like NL and phone calls from home. So unless someone is lying somewhere, which I doubt, I doubt the naija economy is as robust as you may be proposing, emphasis on *may* as I am not a mind reader and don't want to put words in your mouth wink

So let's face it - unemployment or not, it being a genetic defect or not, the fact remains that mos of us in the diaspora send money home to help their loved ones, some to the point where they deny themselves of what they need in the diaspora. Also, for the most part, such monies are usually recieved unappreciated. Finally, usually it is the same pple who rcv such monies who turn around and blame the sender that either they are not doing enough or they are wasting time abroad ("i no sabi wetin im dey do - babatunde just left last year and he has 2 houses. Him, he left 20 years ago, has not come back since. Olodo" grin)
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $5bn Annually by Seun(m): 2:30pm On Aug 08, 2006
the fact remains that mos of us in the diaspora send money home to help their loved ones, some to the point where they deny themselves of what they need in the diaspora.

The greater fact is that the unwillingness of diasporeans to keep their money is not the Nigerian government's fault.

Also, for the most part, such monies are usually recieved unappreciated.

This is also not the government's fault. It's the fault of the unnapreciative relatives demanding the money.

I, first of all, didnt say or imply "excessively high unemployment"

Actually, you did. You said, "If the government, for instance provided the right environment that would create jobs (yes, via various policies, it is the govt's job to create the right environment to attract foreign direct investment, etc), then there would be no excessively high unemployment"

The unemployment rate in Nigeria is very low because of the prevailing market freedom. People work because there's no alternative. Job-seekers are willing to accept any jobs they find because parasitic living is not an option.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $5bn Annually by my2cents(m): 5:27pm On Aug 08, 2006
Dude,

u seem to have this obsession with government vs the individual. U probably, emphasis on probably, think that I am somehow pro-government as well. far from it. I am not saying (for the umpteenth time grin) that it is govt's job to provide money for its citizens. Rather, it is govt's job to cater to its citizens.

Just like it isn't govt's job to provide money for its citizens, neither is it the job of those of us in the diaspora. Sending money should be out of love and not necessity. We were not sent, like Jesus did his disciples upon ascending back to heaven, to go forth, work and send money home.

Yes, it is govt's job to create the proper work environment. If that means pumping money into a particular sector, as in loans for instance, then so be it. If that means having the national assembly pass laws that would enable both local and foreign companies to flourish, so be it.

As for unemployment being high or low, I will say we are both wrong on this. Until you can show me actual factual figures, I will neither believe you nor me grin. In my opinion however, it is high. How high? That I can't say unfortunately. And I speak for the country as a whole, not one particular region. Again, actual figures would be needed to solve this issue.

Finally, being employed doesn't necessarily imply that such a person is making enough to sustain himself and his family (where applicable). before u get into the "weeell, if they dont make enough, they should develop the necessary skills to make enough, blah blah" statements, then I will say this - perhaps such pple have no access or resources to acquire such skills? If this is the case, enter the government (yes, that evil government). To appease your type, then the government rather than "give" money to the education sector to help its citizens learn what the latest trends are, then they could provide loans that will b paid back upon the person acquiring a job after graduation from learning such a course.

Before you respond, please, please, pretty please grin no more "it is not govt's job" type responses. Once again, I am not saying govt is the all and all, rather govt has its place and if it indeed took its place, those of us in the diaspora would probably have sent $2billion as opposed to $5billion.

Last question (and I promise to get off my soapbox grin) - if it is a good thing for naijans in the diaspora to send money home, then that would tell me that you would support a similar statement apply to other nationalities, to which I ask - why don't we hear that Americans abroad, say, send money back to their pple in America? I am sure some do, but I can bet you it isn't (on an individual basis that is) as high as the case with Nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians In Diaspora Starting Business Back Home / Purchase Voip Credit & Lr / What Business Can A Banker Start Up With 1,000,000.00

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.