Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,565 members, 7,816,382 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Pls Help! I Need My 4 Month Old GSD Puppy To Bark On Strangers - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Pls Help! I Need My 4 Month Old GSD Puppy To Bark On Strangers (3639 Views)

Dog Eats Up 4 -month- Old Baby In Delta State / Plz Expert,how Can I Make My Dog Aggressive And Bark? / How To Train A Puppy To Poop Outside (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help! I Need My 4 Month Old GSD Puppy To Bark On Strangers by jimmyjerry07(m): 9:11pm On Sep 05, 2014
Experts kindly advice on what to do pls,
I have a female GSD puppy almost 4 months old and 1.5 month old male Rottweiler. They both have seperate crates. The Rotts' crate is hidden and the GSD crate exposed close to the gate. They are not yet compartible with eachother, each time they are off their crate, they fight a lot through growling and endless barking. I adopted the GSD 3 weeks ago n the Rott 10 days back.
My two dogs are doing excellently well in obeying simple commands like Sit, shake (nt perfect yet), follow me and Stop but my major challenge is the fact that they don't bark when they hear the gate opens or when strangers come in, although Tasha (Gsd) is always at alert whenever anyone opens the gate and also bark on any dog that comes near my gate.
This is my first time of training and living with a dog and I am enjoying their company. I just want to be sure I am giving them the right training cos I want 2 do it alone...
Presently, (8:45pm) I have unleashed the GSD to roam around the compound, two different visitors have come in yet she did not bark at them. What can I do to make them bark at least on a knock on the gate. Thanks, your ideas are highly welcomed
Re: Pls Help! I Need My 4 Month Old GSD Puppy To Bark On Strangers by oluomoadebayo: 11:45pm On Sep 05, 2014
Your dogs are still a puppy and don't ask much from them now. Just go on the basic training and they will start barking in no time.

1 Like

Re: Pls Help! I Need My 4 Month Old GSD Puppy To Bark On Strangers by Eveezy(m): 11:51pm On Sep 05, 2014
GSD re naturally protective in nature nd so are the Rotts, u hardly need to train them to bcom protective because they do it naturally, its their natural instinct to protect. Ur dogs are still puppies, u shuldnt expect them to protecting u @ dis age, just give them the basic training nd when they are mature, they would be tough. And u mentioned ur GSD barks @ other dogs that come near the gate, which means she is already bcoming teritorial, and she would definitely bcom teritorial eventually against humans, jst relax

1 Like

Re: Pls Help! I Need My 4 Month Old GSD Puppy To Bark On Strangers by jimmyjerry07(m): 6:59am On Sep 06, 2014
Wowww, I really appreciate ur inputs. I think I'm a bit relieved now. I agree that they are still very young. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Pls Help! I Need My 4 Month Old GSD Puppy To Bark On Strangers by Shawnalex(m): 2:03pm On Sep 07, 2014
As 4 their fighting, I don't think u should b separating them. If u keep doing dat and dey get used to it, it can bcom deadly wen they re older(talkin from experience)
Re: Pls Help! I Need My 4 Month Old GSD Puppy To Bark On Strangers by Seun(m): 2:24pm On Sep 07, 2014
At that age they should be playing, not fighting, but puppy play often looks like fighting to people. As long as they aren't biting each other...
Re: Pls Help! I Need My 4 Month Old GSD Puppy To Bark On Strangers by Seun(m): 2:28pm On Sep 07, 2014
jimmyjerry07: This is my first time of training and living with a dog and I am enjoying their company.
The first time you're training and living with a dog and you decided to buy two? You'll be alright, but other people should not do that.

Shawnalex: As 4 their fighting, I don't think u should b separating them. If u keep doing dat and dey get used to it, it can bcom deadly wen they re older(talkin from experience)
Hmm. Tell us more about your experience bro.
Re: Pls Help! I Need My 4 Month Old GSD Puppy To Bark On Strangers by jimmyjerry07(m): 4:26pm On Sep 07, 2014
Seun: At that age they should be playing, not fighting, but puppy play often looks like fighting to people. As long as they aren't biting each other...

That's true, their play looks like fight. They initially start with play after which they start biting eachother especially their ears. The smaller one will lie beneath the bigger GSD, and the bigger one grabs him with her teeth wide open on his neck. Once I try seperating them, she (GSD)gets angry wanting to go back to meet him (Rott). then they start barking with eachother. I unleash both of them only when I am around to supervise them.
Re: Pls Help! I Need My 4 Month Old GSD Puppy To Bark On Strangers by Seun(m): 6:55pm On Sep 07, 2014
jimmyjerry07: That's true, their play looks like fight. They initially start with play after which they start biting eachother especially their ears. The smaller one will lie beneath the bigger GSD, and the bigger one grabs the him with her teeth wide open on his neck. Once I try seperating them, she (GSD)gets angry wanting to go back to meet him (Rott). then they start barking with eachother. I unleash both of them only when I am around to supervise them.
Do they get injured? If they don't get injured then it's just play. Our Lhasa Apso's head often finds its way into our GSD's head during play. He also growls and jumps a lot as if he is attacking the GSD but the GSD knows he's just playing and plays along. It's quite annoying sometimes.
Re: Pls Help! I Need My 4 Month Old GSD Puppy To Bark On Strangers by jimmyjerry07(m): 8:08pm On Sep 07, 2014
Seun:
Do they get injured? If they don't get injured then it's just play. Our Lhasa Apso's head often finds its way into our GSD's head during play. He also growls and jumps a lot as if he is attacking the GSD but the GSD knows he's just playing and plays along. It's quite annoying sometimes.

No, they don't get injured. I think I will dedicate 2mrw to allow them do their worst, I'm beginning to feel they are playing. I have brought their crates close to each other, so they can get to see eachother. Thanks
Re: Pls Help! I Need My 4 Month Old GSD Puppy To Bark On Strangers by Aisosaonipede(f): 7:45am On Sep 09, 2014
I never fully understood German shepherd's behaviors :/
Re: Pls Help! I Need My 4 Month Old GSD Puppy To Bark On Strangers by jimmyjerry07(m): 9:02am On Sep 09, 2014
Seun boss n others, thanks for your advice. My Dogs are living happily together now. They were actually playing all this while when I thought they were fighting. Ignorant is really a disease lol

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Ibadan Dog Walk Diary 'A To Z' 'djvikki' / 3 MONTHS BOX HEAD FEMALE ROTTIE FOR SALE - 80K / The Right Materials For Building A Dog House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.