Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,651 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

Garri And Sugar Given To Drunk People, How Effective? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Garri And Sugar Given To Drunk People, How Effective? (2476 Views)

Why Do Dey Give Garri And Sugar To Drunk People And How Effective? / Do You Return The Excess Balance Given To You After Buying Something? / ~Do Some Evil Beggars Really Use Alms Given To Them For Juju . . . ?~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Garri And Sugar Given To Drunk People, How Effective? by elvisz(m): 7:05am On Sep 06, 2014
Gud morning pals. I was just abt to sleep yesterday night wen i heard noise close to my window,came out and found out dat my neighbour was drunk and was vomitting. So passers-by and other neighbours said we should soak garri in water and add sugar,and give him to eat. I have heard dis garri and sugar solution several times. Pls i want to know the principle behind it and how effective.
Re: Garri And Sugar Given To Drunk People, How Effective? by Nobody: 7:47am On Sep 06, 2014
The 1 I know about is the solid garri and itz very effective
Re: Garri And Sugar Given To Drunk People, How Effective? by Funjosh(m): 7:52am On Sep 06, 2014
elvisz: Gud morning pals. I was just abt to sleep yesterday night wen i heard noise close to my window,came out and found out dat my neighbour was drunk and was vomitting. So passers-by and other neighbours said we should soak garri in water and add sugar,and give him to eat. I have heard dis garri and sugar solution several times. Pls i want to know the principle behind it and how effective.

Am not a drunkard, so how do you expect me to know
Re: Garri And Sugar Given To Drunk People, How Effective? by lomaxx: 8:53am On Sep 06, 2014
There's a phenomenon called alcohol-induced hypoglycemia. It means that alcohol can reduce the level of glucose in the blood to abnormally low levels. Alcohol intoxication (also called drunkeness) reduces the level of glucose in the blood by:

1) increasing insulin secretion to consume current energy stores.
2) inhibiting the hormono-enzymatic response that would normally rectify low blood glucose levels. (Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis in the liver, inhibits glycolysis in the brain and liver etc)

The hypoglycemic effect of acute alcohol intoxication further starves the brain cells of glucose and presents as neuroglycopenic symptoms.

This is responsible for impaired judgement, fatigue, confusion, lethargy, daydreaming, incoordination, stupor, & coma.

So your garri and sugar soaked in water contains macromolecules of glucose that would increase the glucose levels in the blood, supply glucose to the brain and reverse the features that characterize drunkenness.

3 Likes

Re: Garri And Sugar Given To Drunk People, How Effective? by hushmail: 11:24am On Sep 06, 2014
lomaxx: There's a phenomenon called alcohol-induced hypoglycemia. It means that alcohol can reduce the level of glucose in the blood to abnormally low levels. Alcohol intoxication (also called drunkeness) reduces the level of glucose in the blood by:

2) inhibiting the hormono-enzymatic response that would normally rectify low blood glucose levels. (Alcohol inhibits gluconeogenesis in the liver, inhibits glycolysis in the brain and liver etc)

The hypoglycemic effect of acute alcohol intoxication further starves the brain cells of glucose and presents as neuroglycopenic symptoms.

This is responsible for impaired judgement, fatigue, confusion, lethargy, daydreaming, incoordination, stupor, & coma.

So your garri and sugar soaked in water contains macromolecules of glucose that would increase the glucose levels in the blood, supply glucose to the brain and reverse the features that characterize drunkenness.

d technicalities of ur explanation makes it plausible bt i refuse to believe for d simple reason dat alchol is fermented sugar
Re: Garri And Sugar Given To Drunk People, How Effective? by lomaxx: 12:09pm On Sep 06, 2014
hushmail:

d technicalities of ur explanation makes it plausible bt i refuse to believe for d simple reason dat alchol is fermented sugar

You have a dictionary and the Internet. It's a very simple explanation.

Alcohol will increase your blood glucose level initially giving you the initial energy high. It doesn't stay alcohol forever. It is metabolized into other intermediates which drive its long term hypoglycemic effect- which produces the features relevant to this topic.

You don't need to believe my explanation for it to be true. Those that understand, understand completely.
Re: Garri And Sugar Given To Drunk People, How Effective? by elvisz(m): 1:58pm On Sep 06, 2014
Funjosh:

Am not a drunkard, so how do you expect me to know
Neva said u were a drunkard,but i guess u have seen people giving garri and sugar to drunk people.
Re: Garri And Sugar Given To Drunk People, How Effective? by elvisz(m): 2:00pm On Sep 06, 2014
lomaxx: There's a phenomenon called alcohol-induced hypoglycemia. It means that alcohol can reduce the level of glucose in the blood to abnormally low levels. Alcohol intoxication (also called drunkeness) reduces the level of glucose in the blood by:

. Thanks for d info

(1) (Reply)

"Kill The Imbaise Man Before The Snake",are They So Wicked? / Reincarnation In Yorubaland / What Happened To Our Ancient 'YORUBA' Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.