Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,160 members, 7,818,531 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. (18750 Views)

Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? / The Bantu people descended from the Igbos of Nigeria: / Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by TonySpike: 10:55am On Sep 14, 2014
AmunRaOlodumare: We can see the language relationship between various Niger-Congo languages in the following image. Basically, Bantu languages share the same Benue-Congo family branch with Yoruba, Igbo, Nupe and other languages. That is at one time, there possibly was a population speaking a language we can call proto-Benue-Congo who then migrated to different location, creating language differentiations (Eastern/Western Benue-Congo, for example).

Thanks for this detailed information. I guess this Igbo-Bantu origin debate is formally settled and officially over. Copy that, folks!
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Ihuomadinihu: 2:51pm On Sep 14, 2014
AmunRaOlodumare: We can see the language relationship between various Niger-Congo languages in the following image. Basically, Bantu languages share the same Benue-Congo family branch with Yoruba, Igbo, Nupe and other languages. That is at one time, there possibly was a population speaking a language we can call proto-Benue-Congo who then migrated to different location, creating language differentiations (Eastern/Western Benue-Congo, for example).

Thanks. That's what i have tried to stress in this thread and previous ones. We tend to give too much attention to this bantu stuff. Bantu,igbo,yoruba etc are part of the same linguistic group. Speakers of bantu languages only split from that family and migrated to different geographical zones thereby creating a distinct language group. Similar circumstances exists between igbo and Yoruba. At the end of the way,bantu is very much related to the aforementioned languages and other benue -congo languages.
One cannot possibly touch on bantu without treating igbo. Bantu is just a mini aspect of a bigger family.
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Ihuomadinihu: 3:13pm On Sep 14, 2014
macof:

What evidence do u have that people came into sub-saharan Africa from Ethiopia/Sudan/Egypt??

Every single human migration theory (that isn't based on Jewish scriptures) that is held as a fact speaks of an Out of Africa migration, not into Africa migration

I admit sub-Saharan Africa has relations with Egypt/Sudan..like..
DNA of the early dynastic kings of Egypt match with sub-Saharan Africans, West Africans especially.
The sub-Saharan cultures are seen in the early times of the nile valley eg. Divine kingship, burying a slave with the king to assist in the journey to the afterlife, keeping the king's body parts preserved(you should know Ife, Bini, itsekiri are known for this, especially with the head) etc
cognitive words

But west Africa has been inhabited for 11,000 years at least(going by available evidence) which is long before any northern African land

every logic points Sub-Saharan Africa as the origin of black population of northern Africa, blacks didn't go South they went North
Truth be told some tribes in Sub-saharan Africa claim to come from the North. It's easy to term it reverse migration....
Am not familiar with origin of Ekoid tribes but they claim they migrated to Nigeria from Egypt. It's important to let people search for their origins without undue pressure from an opposing school of thought.

1 Like

Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by AmunRaOlodumare: 5:33pm On Sep 14, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
One cannot possibly touch on bantu without treating igbo.

You can always study ethnic groups on their own. You can do the same for towns, villages, families and individual people. There's both differences and similarities between various people of Africa and the World in general.

For example, you can study the Zulu people on their own, or you can study their relationship with other Niger-Congo speakers for example, like the Igbo or N-C populations in general.

Bantu is just a mini aspect of a bigger family.

Bantu are part of a larger family but not that mini. grin Bantu are pretty widespread (although you could say Benue-Congo or Niger-Congo are pretty widespread too).
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Ihuomadinihu: 5:41pm On Sep 14, 2014
AmunRaOlodumare:

You can always study ethnic groups on their own. You can do the same for town, villages, family and individual people. There's both differences and similarities between various people of Africa and the World in general.

For example, you can study the Zulu people on their own, or you can study their relationship with other Niger-Congo speakers for example, like the Igbo or N-C populations in general.

Bantu are part of a larger family but not that mini. grin Bantu are pretty widespread.
I think we are just saying the same thing. Igbo language can be studied based on its similarity to Benue Congo languages and by extention, Bantu languages. You would understand my point if you have been on this thread snice inception.

Both bantu and igbo are under one family therefore similarities are bound to surface,period.
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by AmunRaOlodumare: 6:16pm On Sep 14, 2014
^^^ I knew we generally agreed with each others. I just added my own opinions and analysis to your own to elaborate on some aspects. Mostly related to the wording (especially if taken out of the context of this thread).
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Ihuomadinihu: 6:54pm On Sep 14, 2014
AmunRaOlodumare: ^^^ I knew we generally agreed with each others. I just added my own opinions and analysis to your own to elaborate on some aspects. Mostly related to the wording (especially if taken out of the context of this thread).
I appreciate your contributions,thanks.
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by macof(m): 10:24pm On Sep 15, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
Truth be told some tribes in Sub-saharan Africa claim to come from the North. It's easy to term it reverse migration....
Am not familiar with origin of Ekoid tribes but they claim they migrated to Nigeria from Egypt. It's important to let people search for their origins without undue pressure from an opposing school of thought.

Ekoid?? a people found in cross river area??
Wat "Egypt" do they have in their culture? Language? Or oral history?
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Ihuomadinihu: 8:24am On Sep 16, 2014
macof:

Ekoid?? a people found in cross river area??
Wat "Egypt" do they have in their culture? Language? Or oral history?
You might need to ask them yourself!
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Kirigidi(m): 9:06pm On Nov 21, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Osa stands for God in a few Southern Nigerian languages. E:g Osanobue- Edo.
Osakwe- Igbo.
Osadebe-Igbo.
There are also variants like Olisa, Orisa or Orisha(Yoruba).
I believe osa is derived from Olisa/Orisa.
Urhobo/Isoko-Osonobruwe.

Ika/Agbor-Oselobuwe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by alanmwene: 3:00am On Dec 08, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Thanks. That's what i have tried to stress in this thread and previous ones. We tend to give too much attention to this bantu stuff. Bantu,igbo,yoruba etc are part of the same linguistic group. Speakers of bantu languages only split from that family and migrated to different geographical zones thereby creating a distinct language group. Similar circumstances exists between igbo and Yoruba. At the end of the way,bantu is very much related to the aforementioned languages and other benue -congo languages.
One cannot possibly touch on bantu without treating igbo. Bantu is just a mini aspect of a bigger family.
Bantus don't share anything with igbos.yorubas,hausas,etc.........All genetic studies have proven this point time and time again.Bantus are on their own in Africa!Igbos and yorubas have a lot in common coz they belong to the same sudano-sahelian race.I don't know where you get the idea that bantus are somehow related to igbos and yorubas.
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Nobody: 6:05am On Dec 08, 2015
alanmwene:

Bantus don't share anything with igbos.yorubas,hausas,etc.........All genetic studies have proven this point time and time again.Bantus are on their own in Africa!Igbos and yorubas have a lot in common coz they belong to the same sudano-sahelian race.I don't know where you get the idea that bantus are somehow related to igbos and yorubas.

Igbos and Yorubas belong to a what race? Where do you people get this stuff from?

And what genetic studies showed that the Bantu are 'on their own' in Africa?
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Ihuomadinihu: 7:46pm On Dec 08, 2015
alanmwene:

Sorry to bust your bubbles! Bantu cannot be on its own. Bantu,Igbo and Yoruba belong to the same Linguistic family - The Niger Congo Group,hence the similarities in culture and language.
What is Sudano Sahelian race biko?

4 Likes

Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by alanmwene: 1:56pm On Dec 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Sorry to bust your bubbles! Bantu cannot be on its own. Bantu,Igbo and Yoruba belong to the same Linguistic family - The Niger Congo Group,hence the similarities in culture and language.
What is Sudano Sahelian race biko?
lets suppose that bantu languages belong to the same linguistic family with Igbo and Yoruba.I have few questions for you:
1-Why is it impossible to found a single name or word with the "gb" particle in core bantu language(Swahili,kongo,luba,shona,kikuyu)?Words like IGBO,GBAGBO,ADEGBOLA,etc.....don't exist in these languages and the only time you may find them is in bantu languages that have been in contact with Sudanese languages(semi-bantu languages in cameroun or ethnic groups of Sudanese origin like the gbandis in north congo)

2-There are no bantu word or name that start by a R like in ROTIMI or RONKE.How can you explain that?

3-Neither in Igbo nor in Yoruba is the plural formed by prefixing "ba".
bachinois=Chinese people
bakenya=Kenyan people
etc......

4-You will never found a single word or name in core bantu languages(Swahili,kikongo,luba,kikuyu..) with the particle "kp" like in ekpe or ending with a "ong" like in sarpong,effiong,etc....The only people with these types of names are camerounese.

We can go on and on
genetic studies
http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2014/02/18/002808.full.pdf
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by TonySpike: 3:58pm On Dec 09, 2015
alanmwene:

lets suppose that bantu languages belong to the same linguistic family with Igbo and Yoruba.I have few questions for you:
1-Why is it impossible to found a single name or word with the "gb" particle in core bantu language(Swahili,kongo,luba,shona,kikuyu)?Words like IGBO,GBAGBO,ADEGBOLA,etc.....don't exist in these languages and the only time you may find them is in bantu languages that have been in contact with Sudanese languages(semi-bantu languages in cameroun or ethnic groups of Sudanese origin like the gbandis in north congo)

2-There are no bantu word or name that start by a R like in ROTIMI or RONKE.How can you explain that?

3-Neither in Igbo nor in Yoruba is the plural formed by prefixing "ba".
bachinois=Chinese people
bakenya=Kenyan people
etc......

4-You will never found a single word or name in core bantu languages(Swahili,kikongo,luba,kikuyu..) with the particle "kp" like in ekpe or ending with a "ong" like in sarpong,effiong,etc....The only people with these types of names are camerounese.

We can go on and on
genetic studies
http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2014/02/18/002808.full.pdf

You might be mistaken! At least 80% of African population came from a singular genetic source. The genetic pool became differentiated over thousands of year due to the effect of adaptation and local climatic factors. Language itself also became differentiated having undergone several evolutions in this same period. The languages we have now have in Africa is a process that has taken over 5,000 years to be differentiated. Therefore, I can tell you that the Yoruba language spoken about 700 years ago is not the same spoken now. Even English has undergone transformation in structure and spelling in the last 300 years! Take the Old King James Bible for example and compare the words used with the New International Version: the difference is clear! Bro, are you assuming that African languages have remained the same for the past 5,000 years for instance?

I'll tell you something, never use anglicized alphabets to project your point. In some parts of Nigeria and parts of Africa, "p" sound is written as "kp" or "b", "f" sound is written as "ph", "f" sound could also be written as "v", "o" sound is written as "Ho", "c" sound is written as "k" and so on. It is even worse when you consider how French use theirs in Africa language. You should also know that language acquisition could be as a result of assimilation, cultural admixture and colonization irrespective of the actual haplogroup.

1 Like

Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Ihuomadinihu: 6:25pm On Dec 10, 2015
TonySpike:

You might be mistaken! At least 80% of African population came from a singular genetic source. The genetic pool became differentiated over thousands of year due to the effect of adaptation and local climatic factors. Language itself also became differentiated having undergone several evolutions in this same period. The languages we have now have in Africa is a process that has taken over 5,000 years to be differentiated. Therefore, I can tell you that the Yoruba language spoken about 700 years ago is not the same spoken now. Even English has undergone transformation in structure and spelling in the last 300 years! Take the Old King James Bible for example and compare the words used with the New International Version: the difference is clear! Bro, are you assuming that African languages have remained the same for the past 5,000 years for instance?

I'll tell you something, never use anglicized alphabets to project your point. In some parts of Nigeria and parts of Africa, "p" sound is written as "kp" or "b", "f" sound is written as "ph", "f" sound could also be written as "v", "o" sound is written as "Ho", "c" sound is written as "k" and so on. It is even worse when you consider how French use theirs in Africa language. You should also know that language acquisition could be as a result of assimilation, cultural admixture and colonization irrespective of the actual haplogroup.
Thank you.
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by itstpia8: 6:58pm On Dec 10, 2015
@ topic

i think the middle beltans say they migrated from eastern Africa some centuries ago, maybe the same time the Fulani moved to Nigeria from the western African coast, or some decades/centuries apart.
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Nobody: 2:47am On Dec 12, 2015
itstpia8:
@ topic

i think the middle beltans say they migrated from eastern Africa some centuries ago, maybe the same time the Fulani moved to Nigeria from the western African coast, or some decades/centuries apart.
What tribes make the middle belt?
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Nobody: 2:49am On Dec 12, 2015
@AlanMwene
Are you disputing the West African origin of the Bantu people. Or do you just believe they did not leave any relatives behind.

*The Kikuyu language has alot of words starting with "R"

* Not all Bantu languages use the prefix "ba" to make a word plural. Swahili doesn't. It uses many, like wa, ma, Vi, same like many other Bantu languages. The Swahili synonym for "bantu" is "Watu".

There are some common West African/Bantu Words. Like Mema, which means good(plural) in Swahili. West African tribes use variations of the Swahili word "Mwenye" which is a word referring to or bestowing ownership.

Most genetic studies are done by outsiders who use more speculation than facts.

3 Likes

Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by alanmwene: 10:10am On Dec 12, 2015
muafrika:
@AlanMwene
Are you disputing the West African origin of the Bantu people. Or do you just believe they did not leave any relatives behind.
*The Kikuyu language has alot of words starting with "R"
* Not all Bantu languages use the prefix "ba" to make a word plural. Swahili doesn't. It uses many, like wa, ma, Vi, same like many other Bantu languages. The Swahili synonym for "bantu" is "Watu".
There are some common West African/Bantu Words. Like Mema, which means good(plural) in Swahili. West African tribes use variations of the Swahili word "Mwenye" which is a word referring to or bestowing ownership.
Most genetic studies are done by outsiders who use more speculation than facts.
There is still no definite answer on the question of bantus origin and the west African hypothesis is as valid as any other hypothesis.For sure it is certain that,at some pont,some bantus groups were in west Africa.But there is a difference between being in a place and being from a place.
The kikuyu use the Rfor the same reasons the hutus use the R:The R seems to be have been introduced by nilotics!The kinirwanda which is bantu-hutu language has a lot of words starting by R,but 8 out of 10 rwandeses with names starting by R(Rwema bisengimana.Rupiya,Ruheza,Rwagazore....)are tutsis.That suggests an outside influence on the hutu language.

I am aware that some bantus groups use "wa" or "a"or "ab"....instead of "ba".But it is the same things
Genetics studies aren't based on speculations but on facts!And genetic studies have show time and time again that bantus aren't just a linguistic group.Bantus are indeed a race!
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Nobody: 11:45am On Dec 12, 2015
It took me only a few seconds to find Southern African Bantu names starting with 'R': Reneilwe, Rataba, Ramotape, Ramaseatsane, etc.

Am I to assume that these names got there R's from the Nilotes, too?

2 Likes

Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by alanmwene: 1:56pm On Dec 12, 2015
Radoillo:
It took me only a few seconds to find Southern African Bantu names starting with 'R': Reneilwe, Rataba, Ramotape, Ramaseatsane, etc.

Am I to assume that these names got there R's from the Nilotes, too?
I know that one of Mandela first name was ROhilala.Maybe you should ask a south African to pronounce it for you and you will appreciate the heavy influence khoisans click language has had on southern bantus languages.My question is why these types of names don't exist in kikongo,lingala,chiluba aka aka the core bantu languages?
Some more questions for you:
1-You said bantus share the same culture with igbos and yorubas.Why is that there isn't a single bantu group that has deities in its pantheon?
Igbos and yorubas have Ogun,Ikenga,Oya,etc......but bantus have zero deities.This is a fact that has always baffled whites colonizers .It is can be said that bantus know that god exists but they don't worship him.

2-Why is that there are things yorubas or igbos do that bantus don't do?For example,congo has experienced war for over 20years now,but you have never heard of aingle case of a Congolese person caught with human parts whereas this is a daily occurrence in igboland and yorubaland?
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Dec 12, 2015
I'm going to try and avoid getting into a lengthy debate on this because I do not think that anything will come out of it.

First, it is clear you do not understand West African cultures well. If you did, you would know that they don't all have elaborate pantheons of deities. Some do not have well- defined gods like the ones you mentioned: they recognise a high god, some spirits and pay particular attention to venerating the ancestors.

Second, related peoples do not have to have identical cultures. In the course of hundreds or thousands of years of separation, their cultures will tend to grow apart and show marked differences with only overarching similarities. What you are doing is fixating on the narrow differences and overlooking the broad similarities within the Niger-Congo group (a.k.a Bantu + West Africa group). That approach is amateurish.

Third, I see where you mentioned genetics. Yes, it makes sense that Bantu groups will have some collective genetic difference(s) from West Africans. When a people move away and become isolated from a 'parent' or a related stock, they will tend to develop genetic peculiarities of their own through processes like gene mutation and all that. On a more removed level, Bantus are still genetically 'cousins' with West Africans.

You can look at this paper for the genetic commonalities of all Niger-Congo groups (including Bantus):

http://m.mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/28/3/1255.full

Also did you imply that ritual killings and ritual mutilations do not exist in the Congo and Bantu Africa? Bwahahaha! Bro, please!

1 Like

Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Ihuomadinihu: 3:42pm On Dec 12, 2015
Lol,i'm tired to say the least.
All i see is someone trying so hard to seperate himself from his Parent family eventhough Genetics,Linguistics and traditions are against him!
Bantus migrated out of West Africa,displaced and even absolved whichever people they came across. It's obvious they would display peculiar cultural,genetic and linguistic features which may or may not be found in West Africa.
Swahili is a result of the interaction with non Bantu groups,the language contains words borrowed from Arabic language. There are also few words from Hindi and Portuguese in Swahili. Even in my culture,there is nothing like a homogenous Igbo people. People pick up certain things born out of growth/change or interactions with foreigners. Does that make anyone less Igbo?
I don't know much about Northern Africa but ritual killings occur in Nigeria,Congo,Tanzania to South Africa etc

This type of argument is tiring.

1 Like

Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by alanmwene: 3:55pm On Dec 12, 2015
Radoillo:
I'm going to try and avoid getting into a lengthy debate on this because I do not think that anything will come out of it.
First, it is clear you do not understand West African cultures well. If you did, you would know that they don't all have elaborate pantheons of deities. Some do not have well- defined gods like the ones you mentioned: they recognise a high god, some spirits and pay particular attention to venerating the ancestors.
Second, related peoples do not have to have identical cultures. In the course of hundreds or thousands of years of separation, their cultures will tend to grow apart and show marked differences with only overarching similarities. What you are doing is fixating on the narrow differences and overlooking the broad similarities within the Niger-Congo group (a.k.a Bantu + West Africa group). That approach is amateurish.
Third, I see where you mentioned genetics. Yes, it makes sense that Bantu groups will have some collective genetic difference(s) from West Africans. When a people move away and become isolated from a 'parent' or a related stock, they will tend to develop genetic peculiarities of their own through processes like gene mutation and all that. On a more removed level, Bantus are still genetically 'cousins' with West Africans.
You can look at this paper for the genetic commonalities of all Niger-Congo groups (including Bantus):
http://m.mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/28/3/1255.full
Also did you imply that ritual killings and ritual mutilations do not exist in the Congo and Bantu Africa? Bwahahaha! Bro, please!
You didn't give an answer as why bantus don't have cult of deities like igbos or yorubas.Why is that the worship of god/gods is inexistent in bantu groups?
It is a truism to say that bantus are related to west Africans coz all Africans are related anyway.But to suggest that bantus are cousins to yorubas and igbos is an aberration.Maybe you should start looking towards Ghana coz you stand a better chance to find cousins there.Genetic studies have consistently show that bantus are a race which is distinct from other races in Africa.This a fact not a fiction!
Last but not least,have you ever heard of a young Congolese man/woman caught with human heads/parts?
As Africans,we must accept that Africa is diverse and blackness is multiple.We aren't the same coz we have the same skin color.
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Ihuomadinihu: 4:03pm On Dec 12, 2015
Lmao!

1 Like

Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by alanmwene: 4:08pm On Dec 12, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Lol,i'm tired to say the least.
All i see is someone trying so hard to seperate himself from his Parent family eventhough Genetics,Linguistics and traditions are against him!
Bantus migrated out of West Africa,displaced and even absolved whichever people they came across. It's obvious they would display peculiar cultural,genetic and linguistic features which may or may not be found in West Africa.
Swahili is a result of the interaction with non Bantu groups,the language contains words borrowed from Arabic language. There are also few words from Hindi and Portuguese in Swahili. Even in my culture,there is nothing like a homogenous Igbo people. People pick up certain things born out of growth/change or interactions with foreigners. Does that make anyone less Igbo?
I don't know much about Northern Africa but ritual killings occur in Nigeria,Congo,Tanzania to South Africa etc

This type of argument is tiring.
You didn't give an answer as why bantus don't have cult of deities like igbos or yorubas.Why is that the worship of god/gods is inexistent in bantu groups?
It is a truism to say that bantus are related to west Africans coz all Africans are related anyway.But to suggest that bantus are cousins to yorubas and igbos is an aberration.Maybe you should start looking towards Ghana coz you stand a better chance to find cousins there.Genetic studies have consistently show that bantus are a race which is distinct from other races in Africa.This a fact not a fiction!
Last but not least,have you ever heard of a young Congolese man/woman caught with human heads/parts?
As Africans we must accept that Africa is diverse!We aren't the same coz we have the same color of skin
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 12, 2015
Well, there really isn't any point debating this with an apparently little-informed layman. There is no debate about this in professional circles: Niger-Congo peoples (and Bantu-speaking peoples are part of the Niger-Congo family) share linguistic, cultural and, yes, genetic traits. It is what it is.

I'm done here. Don't even know why I waddled in in the first place; it was apparent from the first comment that the subject of Bantu relations with Niger-Congo-speaking West Africans was out of your depth.

1 Like

Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Ihuomadinihu: 4:25pm On Dec 12, 2015
I believe Radillio has already supplied your questions on religious diversity in Sub Saharan Africa. I don't have to do same things with you because we come from Africa.
The problem with you is that you are looking for answers and you approach your quest in a wrong manner.
I don't have the time to cite examples of the numerous differences between Igbo and Yoruba, Efik and Yoruba, Nigeria and Ivory Coast etc eventhough we have interacted with each other for many years.
Acknowledging the diversity in Africa doesn't mean that Bantu is a different race and not related to West Africans and by extention the rest of Africa. What we are trying to explain is that Bantus are close relatives of Nigerians, Ghanaians and other West Africans. Years of research in Genetics,linguistics, culture and anthropology has clarified this issue.
Nah, Bantu is not a race and ethinc group. It's just a linguistic subgroup of the larger Niger Congo group. You are taking the word 'Bantu' so seriously.
Next time, drop these comparisons with Igbo and Yoruba. There are hundreds of other Non Bantu speaking group you can use for your comparisons.

1 Like

Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by Ihuomadinihu: 4:29pm On Dec 12, 2015
Hol'up! What is so special and unique about Bantu genetics? I don't see what qualifies Bantu to be a race,otherwise Igbo would have been a race a long time ago!

1 Like

Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by tpiar: 6:12pm On Dec 12, 2015
alanmwene:

All blacks are assumed to be related somehow because of their black skin.
Re: Re: Bantu/benue-congo/igbo Relationship. by tpiar: 6:14pm On Dec 12, 2015
alanmwene:

1-You said bantus share the same culture with igbos and yorubas.Why is that there isn't a single bantu group that has deities in its pantheon?
Igbos and yorubas have Ogun,Ikenga,Oya,etc......but bantus have zero deities.This is a fact that has always baffled whites colonizers .It is can be said that bantus know that god exists but they don't worship him.

Are you saying nowhere outside west africa worships deities?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Architectural Wonders From Pre-colonial Africa - Pics / Are You Addicted To 'nzu' White Clay / Why do Nigerian Women Bear Their Father's Name, After Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.