Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,841 members, 7,820,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer (1451 Views)

Car Headliner Replacement And Tyres / ECU Stolen / Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer by jaz(m): 8:41pm On Sep 06, 2014
guys pls i need ur help

my car, a 2008 Mitsubishi oulander 3.0 V6 XLS, wouldn't go beyond 60kph. once i get past that it switches off. if i move slowly or parked, esp. in traffic, engines also goes off. mechanic checked fuel pump, plugs, tank etc and then scanned. problem detected, ecu.

my mechanic confirmed finding a brain box with the correct part number but cant find someone to program the brain box.

- please could you help me confirm the correct part number for ecu replacement? VIN is JA4MS41X68Z002786
- can you guys help with finding a programmer who can help with fixing the ecu?

thanks
Re: ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer by chillex8(m): 8:52pm On Sep 06, 2014
jaz: guys pls i need ur help

my car, a 2008 Mitsubishi oulander 3.0 V6 XLS, wouldn't go beyond 60kph. once i get past that it switches off. if i move slowly or parked, esp. in traffic, engines also goes off. mechanic checked fuel pump, plugs, tank etc and then scanned. problem detected, ecu.

my mechanic confirmed finding a brain box with the correct part number but cant find someone to program the brain box.

- please could you help me confirm the correct part number for ecu replacement? VIN is JA4MS41X68Z002786

thanks

Contact Kabolee on this number. 08036851111.

He will surely attend to you..

Cheers
Re: ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer by mayor2013: 9:13pm On Sep 06, 2014
Call 08165520837 or 08156087872
Re: ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:51pm On Sep 06, 2014
jaz: guys pls i need ur help

thanks

was the car scanned with a very compartible OBDII scanner? its very rare for an ECU to allow you to drive up 60kph when its self is faulty most of the time it would be the sensors
Re: ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer by jaz(m): 11:31pm On Sep 06, 2014
the mechanic used scanners i assume are compatible. however, what do you advise?

ZIMDRILL:

was the car scanned with a very compartible OBDII scanner? its very rare for an ECU to allow you to drive up 60kph when its self is faulty most of the time it would be the sensors
Re: ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer by jaz(m): 11:45pm On Sep 06, 2014
when scanned it gave the following codes:

code 1- P0106 BAR0O./MAP sensor range
code 2- Misfire detected

what do you advise?
Re: ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:51am On Sep 07, 2014
jaz: the mechanic used scanners i assume are compatible. however, what do you advise?

if the ECU is Faulty on average you should also have a code
Re: ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer by DECOtech(m): 2:16am On Sep 07, 2014
jaz: when scanned it gave the following codes:

code 2- Misfire detected

what do you advise?
With these codes, I won't be quick to point accusing fingers at your ECU. But then, the engine shut off. Does it start presently?
Re: ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:53am On Sep 07, 2014
jaz: when scanned it gave the following codes:

code 2- Misfire detected

what do you advise?

Your problem looks like an easy fix and is centred around P0106
[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUMh2e4wkLuEiIbG3Kzj8BfTKRR6-CaVosd7LMPjnSlrWNAgQMsknyo1bv[/img]

How this sensor works :The "brainbox" uses the MAP to monitor engine load, The "brainbox" PCM supplies a 5 Volt reference signal to the MAP sensor. Usually the PCM also supplies a ground circuit to the MAP sensor as well. As the manifold pressure changes with load, the MAP sensor input informs the PCM. At idle the voltage should be 1 to 1.5 Volts and approximately 4.5 Volts at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). The PCM looks for any change in manifold pressure to be preceded by a change in engine load in the form of changes in throttle angle, engine speed, or Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) flow. If the PCM doesn't see any of these factors change while detecting a rapid change in MAP value, it will set a P0106.

The following could be symptomatic of a P0106:

Engine runs rough
Black smoke at tailpipe
Engine will not idle
Poor fuel economy
Engine misses at speed

How to test: with a multi meter search for ground(-) and 5v(+) at map socket with ignition on, the third pin will give varying output between 1-4.5v depending on engine load and only when engine is running and the signal sent straight to the (brainbox)pcm if you don't have the voltages I just mentioned check harness/wiring. Or better still tell us what voltage you have.

Please note:I'm assuming your (wiring) harness has not yet been abused or damaged.

Also using live data from an obdII diagnostic tool you can monitor the performance of the MAP.

Note: DO NOT use an analogue multimeter to test sensors use a digital meter please.
Re: ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer by jaz(m): 7:32am On Sep 07, 2014
yes the car starts and i even drive it around town, only that i cant go beyond 60kph. moreso at other times it jerks like the car doesnt want to go on and then go off even at low speeds.

from my research of the codes i mentioned the symptoms of the car are exactly as captured under P0300 engine misfire and P0106- MAP sensor range.

i suspect its not an ECU problem but what can i do?

DECOtech: With these codes, I won't be quick to point accusing fingers at your ECU. But then, the engine shut off. Does it start presently?
Re: ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer by jaz(m): 8:05am On Sep 07, 2014
thanks for your info. the mechanic used a digital scanner which gave live readings on the MAP sensor, last reading was 31kpa. i'm keeping my eyes on the other code- P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected. what do you think?

GAZZUZZ:

Your problem looks like an easy fix and is centred around P0106
[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUMh2e4wkLuEiIbG3Kzj8BfTKRR6-CaVosd7LMPjnSlrWNAgQMsknyo1bv[/img]

How this sensor works :The "brainbox" uses the MAP to monitor engine load, The "brainbox" PCM supplies a 5 Volt reference signal to the MAP sensor. Usually the PCM also supplies a ground circuit to the MAP sensor as well. As the manifold pressure changes with load, the MAP sensor input informs the PCM. At idle the voltage should be 1 to 1.5 Volts and approximately 4.5 Volts at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). The PCM looks for any change in manifold pressure to be preceded by a change in engine load in the form of changes in throttle angle, engine speed, or Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) flow. If the PCM doesn't see any of these factors change while detecting a rapid change in MAP value, it will set a P0106.

The following could be symptomatic of a P0106:

Engine runs rough
Black smoke at tailpipe
Engine will not idle
Poor fuel economy
Engine misses at speed

How to test: with a multi meter search for ground(-) and 5v(+) at map socket with ignition on, the third pin will give varying output between 1-4.5v depending on engine load and only when engine is running and the signal sent straight to the (brainbox)pcm if you don't have the voltages I just mentioned check harness/wiring. Or better still tell us what voltage you have.

Please note:I'm assuming your (wiring) harness has not yet been abused or damaged.

Also using live data from an obdII diagnostic tool you can monitor the performance of the MAP.

Note: DO NOT use an analogue multimeter to test sensors use a digital meter please.
Re: ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer by DECOtech(m): 9:17am On Sep 07, 2014
jaz: yes the car starts and i even drive it around town, only that i cant go beyond 60kph. moreso at other times it jerks like the car doesnt want to go on and then go off even at low speeds.

from my research of the codes i mentioned the symptoms of the car are exactly as captured under P0300 engine misfire and P0106- MAP sensor range.

i suspect its not an ECU problem but what can i do?

A misfire can be caused by a list of faults, but there are a few suspects that occur more than others. The normal (primary) culprits are simple spark or fuel usually soaking the spark plugs, plug wires, the coils, or the fuel-delivery system.

Other bigger causes can be ECU or wiring problems, breakage in the rotating mass (pistons, rods, crank bearings), valves and the heads can fail or distort, cooling difficulties might cause overheating, and any number of gaskets could have pushed. Most are rare and, importantly, most of the scary stuff was
probably caused by failure to address simpler problems in the ignition or injection.

The sensible method to fix this problem is to gather available knowledge about the misfire, focus on steps necessary to ELIMINATE suspects, and let the process guide you to its cause. Call it scientific method.
-GAZZUZZ has made a very good point.
Re: ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer by jaz(m): 8:06pm On Sep 07, 2014
thanks guys. will tell my mechanic to hold on on the ECU and lets focus on other areas mentioned.

thanks again.

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Meet The Sports Car That Runs On SALTWATER / Honda Oil Service Duration / Bmw's 100th Anniversary @ Eko Atlantic City, Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.