Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,446 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:46 AM

Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls (854 Views)

When You Are A Computer Guru And Your Girlfriend Needs Your Assistance / Bloggers, Your Assistance Is Required Here Please / Is Anyone Using The Opencart Ecommerce Solution? Your Assistance Is Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by megatran(m): 9:39am On Sep 07, 2014
Here is the scenario on ground. i am a student of pharmacy in one of the Nigerian universities and i recently i had the urge to do something very tangible and productive with my talent and possibly knowledge. i wouldn't go into details but here are the key points.
i currently have a network use, it has unlimited bandwidth which is free. its a satellite network with clean ip and good speed and i have up to four laptops at my disposal. Power supply can be easily resolved with generators of course.
Now to the me part, i am very versatile with computers and networks as in manipulating them ( some refer to it as hacking). i am talented at putting electronics together after destroying them of course, i also have little knowledge of website design.
My big question is that if you were in my shoes, in what way would u be able to use all that gadget and network to make money while in school?
i must mention here that i have tried to host the network in form of hotspot and get to other students to subscribe to me at a reasonable amount but where i reside is like the outskirts of town and i only have 7 neighbors and even the other hostels around are scarce with residents. Although i have tried hosting the network from my remote location but it would require heavy capital as i may need to have a network mast and purchase heavy biquads and network senders. i have also tried online purchases but i havent gone that far (maybe i am not that good at advertising things), majorly because they have to pay before service.

So pls nairalanders i would really appreciate if you could share some ideas on how to monetize this whole situation i am in, if u were in this situation, thanks.
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by osile2012: 9:42am On Sep 07, 2014
You want to know what to do with all those gadgets to make money? its simple, sell them grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by megatran(m): 10:01am On Sep 07, 2014
seriously osile..selling is not an option here. i intend to get a stable income and it must not be very large but should not come from selling my start up materials. tnks
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by onyengbu: 12:43pm On Sep 07, 2014
megatran: seriously osile..selling is not an option here. i intend to get a stable income and it must not be very large but should not come from selling my start up materials. tnks
If your network bandwidth is unlimited, I suggest you go for WIMAX router and antenna.. That will be able to send your hotspot across longer distances than wi fi equipments. It can send more than 10km with enough gain. You wouldnt need a mast if you can locate a 2 or 3 storey building where you can mount 10 metre pole with your antenna on it. Wimax is on different spectrum from wifi but there are wimax-wifi routers which will receive wimax signal transmitted from your base at the busy side of town where you can now create wifi access points for people to connect to their pcs and smartphones.
You will then use MIKROTIK network admin software to manage your hotspot. You can use it to apportion bandwidth by Mbs and Gbs to your client so that people dont abuse the network.
These things isnt as easy as I made it look but but with your network experience you have overcome many hurdles. Again since you said your network is fast and unlimited, you have taken care of the biggest challenge in the business.
The remaining challenge now is raising some capital to get your wifi/wimax antennas and routers and license for your Mikrotik server and may be inverters to keep your power uninterrupted.
60 - 150k will take care of all that, trust me!
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by maekhel(m): 1:30pm On Sep 07, 2014
osile2012: You want to know what to do with all those gadgets to make money? its simple, sell them grin grin grin grin grin
best answer
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by megatran(m): 1:41pm On Sep 08, 2014
onyengbu: If your network bandwidth is unlimited, I suggest you go for WIMAX router and antenna.. That will be able to send your hotspot across longer distances than wi fi equipments. It can send more than 10km with enough gain. You wouldnt need a mast if you can locate a 2 or 3 storey building where you can mount 10 metre pole with your antenna on it. Wimax is on different spectrum from wifi but there are wimax-wifi routers which will receive wimax signal transmitted from your base at the busy side of town where you can now create wifi access points for people to connect to their pcs and smartphones.
You will then use MIKROTIK network admin software to manage your hotspot. You can use it to apportion bandwidth by Mbs and Gbs to your client so that people dont abuse the network.
These things isnt as easy as I made it look but but with your network experience you have overcome many hurdles. Again since you said your network is fast and unlimited, you have taken care of the biggest challenge in the business.
The remaining challenge now is raising some capital to get your wifi/wimax antennas and routers and license for your Mikrotik server and may be inverters to keep your power uninterrupted.
60 - 150k will take care of all that, trust me!
thanks a lot for this information. I have not really looked into wimax networks so I am a complete noob in that. I already have two routers linksys wrt54g 2.4ghz. Pls will these routers be able to travel as far as wimax routers. I intend to connect them to a yagi antenna or panel directional antennas. I haven't been able to get a suitable purchase point for network devices as I am not in lagos.
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by onyengbu: 4:03pm On Sep 08, 2014
megatran: thanks a lot for this information. I have not really looked into wimax networks so I am a complete noob in that. I already have two routers linksys wrt54g 2.4ghz. Pls will these routers be able to travel as far as wimax routers. I intend to connect them to a yagi antenna or panel directional antennas. I haven't been able to get a suitable purchase point for network devices as I am not in lagos.
No they wont go far. Even if you use a bi or omni antenna that can send signal to up to 10 - 20km, it will still be hard for people's laptops and phones to pic signals from them.
At the end of the day, you still need to deploy mini access points to cover small cluster of users and link them up somehow. It is known that beyond 400 metres from the point of transmission, devices will not be able to receive useful signal.

My idea of pointing out wimax is because it can go very very far distances since you said you live outside of town.
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by georgen2u(m): 6:38pm On Sep 08, 2014
if you don't have resources to provide such services why not utilize it for online services, train people (especially your colleagues) and the online biz? many are making it so you wouldn't want to miss it (lol don't take my word for it... lots of work & patient needed)
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by osile2012: 7:41pm On Sep 08, 2014
georgen2u: if you don't have resources to provide such services why not utilize it for online services, train people (especially your colleagues) and the online biz? many are making it so you wouldn't want to miss it (lol don't take my word for it... lots of work & patient needed)

Will the next step be to buy an e-book ? grin grin grin
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by cbrass(m): 2:17am On Sep 09, 2014
You can not get a serious answer here cos this section is meant for webdevelopers, you can see a good example with osile2012 's funny replygrin

By the way what are you doing in pharmacy with all these talents
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by megatran(m): 5:10pm On Sep 09, 2014
cbrass: You can not get a serious answer here cos this section is meant for webdevelopers, you can see a good example with osile2012 's funny replygrin

By the way what are you doing in pharmacy with all these talents
cbrass i just wanted to spread my tentacles thats y i decided to post on webmasters forum. As for what i am doing in Pharmacy, i actually applied for that course with the hope of surpassing it. Unfortunately, as i started to age it dawned on me that my talent always took the best part of me up to the extent that the good o drugs couldnt help matters.
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by megatran(m): 5:13pm On Sep 09, 2014
georgen2u: if you don't have resources to provide such services why not utilize it for online services, train people (especially your colleagues) and the online biz? many are making it so you wouldn't want to miss it (lol don't take my word for it... lots of work & patient needed)
thanks for your reply george. i tried the online thing but i am not buisness minded cos i dont really fancy the stress of nagging customers, especially those students that would want to prove to be Gods just becos they have to buy something from you. i was thinking something more like services and less goods. thank you

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by megatran(m): 5:18pm On Sep 09, 2014
onyengbu:
No they wont go far. Even if you use a bi or omni antenna that can send signal to up to 10 - 20km, it will still be hard for people's laptops and phones to pic signals from them.
At the end of the day, you still need to deploy mini access points to cover small cluster of users and link them up somehow. It is known that beyond 400 metres from the point of transmission, devices will not be able to receive useful signal.

My idea of pointing out wimax is because it can go very very far distances since you said you live outside of town.
thanks onye, i actually went on a lil research and i found out that ubiquiti devices, precisely nanostations could have that wimax or airmax feature. i was able to get in contact with a local supplier and he said he could sell an ubiquiti nanostation m2 which i guess operates on the 2.4ghz frequency. he also gave an option of a tp-link device of which i cant really pic out the full name and details. they ranged abt 17k each. pls could you point me out to a more precise wimax device you have in mind. thanks for ur concern
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by georgen2u(m): 6:14pm On Sep 09, 2014
megatran: thanks for your reply george. i tried the online thing but i am not buisness minded cos i dont really fancy the stress of nagging customers, especially those students that would want to prove to be Gods just becos they have to buy something from you. i was thinking something more like services and less goods. thank you
That's the Spirit
The truth is that you don't need to even persuade your friends for that
people that will patronize you will be strangers and foreigners am sure you would do great
seriously online business is not just what you think... here i am i do jobs for people in Ghana, Europe etc though my area of work is more of web designing you can find your niche i bet you
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by onyengbu: 9:02pm On Sep 09, 2014
megatran: thanks onye, i actually went on a lil research and i found out that ubiquiti devices, precisely nanostations could have that wimax or airmax feature. i was able to get in contact with a local supplier and he said he could sell an ubiquiti nanostation m2 which i guess operates on the 2.4ghz frequency. he also gave an option of a tp-link device of which i cant really pic out the full name and details. they ranged abt 17k each. pls could you point me out to a more precise wimax device you have in mind. thanks for ur concern

I know these guys: www.teltonika.lt
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by georgen2u(m): 12:36pm On Sep 10, 2014
not only that! i learnt Linux administration and server mgt today i can deploy servers for people even outside naija and they pay me well the cheapest pay is around 30k in one wk believe you me its very lucrative and i do get such jobs three or four times monthly aside web designing and other online business,.... anyways follow your mind
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by megatran(m): 2:27pm On Sep 10, 2014
georgen2u: not only that! i learnt Linux administration and server mgt today i can deploy servers for people even outside naija and they pay me well the cheapest pay is around 30k in one wk believe you me its very lucrative and i do get such jobs three or four times monthly aside web designing and other online business,.... anyways follow your mind
that sounds nice and lucrative indeed, i guess i will just have to pick a major path of interest and focus on it coz i know fully well that the hassles of my study here in school is very time consuming. Thanks for the info
Re: Nairalanders I Need Your Assistance In This Pls by megatran(m): 2:28pm On Sep 10, 2014
onyengbu:

I know these guys: www.teltonika.lt
thanks...altho its a german company. i would go around and ask abt the pricing

(1) (Reply)

Sites That Pays You Through Paypal While You Work For Them / BLOGGERS :Best Times to Post on Social Media[Infographic] / Facebook Group needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.