Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool (1972 Views)

List Of Private Universities In Nigeria And Their School Fees / Jamb Cut Off Marks For Universities And Polytechnics / List Private Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by Sweetlemon(f): 1:11pm On Sep 09, 2014
Ok Ok. I am sick and tired of people lumping all private Universities as advanced secondary schools. Just because you are used to hearing "Covenant University" "Babcock" "RUN" etc. Does not mean that all private schools are modeled like that.
Your IQ should be able to figure out those are Christian Universities and that is why they are run like secondary schools. Their respective churches have sensitive reputations to protect at all cost. There are 1001 reasons why private Universities are cool and encouraged in the present situation of education in Nigeria today.

By the grace of God I attended IUO. When I first came in, do you believe male students could actually sleep in female hostels? Talk less of females sleeping in male hostels! It was only after we started hearing of rape incidents that they cut short the visiting hours of male students. But females could sleep in boys hostel for all they cared! It isn't supposed to be allowed, but it's one of those laws people break openly.

Students come in and go as they wish, gates are open till 11pm, even at that, students still hang out at relaxation spots around Okada town till the wee hours. So far you come in quietly and hail the security guards, you are good to go. You can travel anytime from Monday-Sunday without telling anybody anything. But I hear you have to inform your hall warden now, not for permission but for record sake. Most IUO runs babes spend their weekends in Benin and Warri.
As at when I left, students started standing up to the authorities to fight against harsh policies. We'd riot and block all roads at the slightest provocation.

If you like go for lectures, if you like don't. Na your papa money you dey waste.
Students cook and fend for themselves.
Dress anyhow you like during the day, so far you are not naked. During the night, if you like wear G-string to hang out with your bf. Na you sabi.

So many shows were organized on campus and I still remember how Paul of P Square, singled me out of the screaming crowd in the girls hostel where they came for awareness and invited me to their guest house during one of the times they visited our school. I went with 2 other friends and we chop small money grin grin grin without allowing them chop our kpekus o! (well, I'm speaking for myself sha) Kai! If I shine eye wella that time maybe na me him for marry cry embarassed lol! (I love Anita Isama Okoye)

There are many, many, churches/fellowships/Muslim fellowships on and around campus and nobody is going to tell you when to wake up and go to church. If you like go and worship your maker, if you like stay back and watch film in your hostel, if you like play music and twerk like Miley Cyrus na you sabi.

Going to a Private Uni will give you the opportunity to connect yourself to people who could be of help to you after graduation. You could use the connections of a politician, top bank/oil company oga's son/daughter.

You will find and be forced to live with all kinds of Characters in a secular private school. The psychos, the gangstas, the weed-addicts (you must not be caught smoking weed though) the geeks, the inventors, the spoiled brats, the ashawos, the spirit-filled, speaking-in-tongues Christians, the evangelists, the Alfas and Mosque heads(what do you guys call them?) the lover boys, the play boys, the entrepreneurs, and the neutrals. Though you cannot go overboard with excesses if you are reported to the authorities.

Private universities also have a significantly higher amount of extra-curricular activities and programs for students to participate in. This is very important for all round mental and academic growth.

As a guy, you never land if you don't have a sleek, pimped-up car. I fondly remember one Ojay guy who pimped his 190 benz so much, it looked like a scene from MTV's "pim.p my ride" I wish I could post a pic of it here. Now girls are seriously competing with them. IUO boasts of an enviable collection of rides and sophisticated gadgets like phones, etc.

Students are exposed to various student bodies and groups such as Arewa students forum, Igbo students forum, etc. These groups, well backed by highly placed Nigerians from their regions, usually had enough educative, informative, and entertaining packages for it's members and well-wishers.

Lecturers have one-on-one relationship with students. This is usually heightened depending on the student's last name though. But struggling students can always go to a lecturer for help with anything, you may need to buy recharge cards for the lecturers but no heavy demands or pressure are placed on students. If you wan dash lecturer kpekus na your palava, if you wan build house for lecturer na your business, but lecturers do not force it on students.

Being born an aje pako who went to a public secondary school, my English and swag was nothing to write home about. But going to a private Uni help me a lot as I was determined to make good use of every penny of the over 2.5 million I spent during my stay in that school.

No strikes, no cultism, what you put in is what you get instanta!

There are still many other advantages I haven't listed. I hope we have been well educated so far.

Cherers!

1 Like

Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by kingsilly(m): 1:15pm On Sep 09, 2014
Space booked
Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by benjichuks(m): 1:18pm On Sep 09, 2014
Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by cockycock: 1:21pm On Sep 09, 2014
Main reason is that you get good grades easily without much stress.
You enter as a 16yr-old teenager and still come out as a 20yr-old, l acting like a teenager
I love private unis,they rock cool

1 Like

Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 09, 2014
Booked
Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by jmoore(m): 1:55pm On Sep 09, 2014
I can't see the 1,001 reasons.

Btw, I will build my own private university. Let me make my $billions first. smiley

1 Like

Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by Sweetlemon(f): 2:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
jmoore: I can't see the 1,001 reasons.

Btw, I will build my own private university. Let me make my $billions first. smiley

Lol!
Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by Sweetlemon(f): 2:41pm On Sep 09, 2014
cockycock: Main reason is that you get good grades easy without much stress.
You enter as a 16yr-old teenager and still come out as a 20yr-old, still acting like a teenager
I love private unis,they rock cool

Definitely.

But this particular thread was thought of to educate people on the word "Private University" to make them see that it goes beyond the Christian aspect. Not all private schools are run like Christian schools which is the main beef people have with private universities. The thread throws more light (in a humorous way) on what private universities are all about.
Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by rill: 2:44pm On Sep 09, 2014
what's IUO India university osogbo?
Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by Sweetlemon(f): 2:47pm On Sep 09, 2014
rill: what's IUO India university osogbo?

Igbinedion University Okada.
Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by Nobody: 2:47pm On Sep 09, 2014
U just stated reasons why we shouldn't go 2 IUO or watin u call am BTW, watin be IUO And where are the 1000 reasons cos i've seen just one. The spliting is just a normal paragraph in every write up.
Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by Sweetlemon(f): 2:48pm On Sep 09, 2014
LARRYDKING: U just stated reasons why we shouldn't go 2 IUO or watin u call am BTW, watin be IUO And where are the 1000 reasons cos i've seen just one. The spliting is just a normal paragraph in every write up.

Where da hell is your sense of humour? Dry boy! undecided
Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by Teephar(f): 2:55pm On Sep 09, 2014
Interesting.... Dis IOU wasted my friend time... She went there to study medicine only to discover it wasn't accredited.
Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by Sweetlemon(f): 3:03pm On Sep 09, 2014
Teephar: Interesting.... Dis IOU wasted my friend time... She went there to study medicine only to discover it wasn't accredited.

Yea. That was previously. Igbinedion too like money that's why he kept admitting Medical students before it got accredited.
Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 09, 2014
Sweetlemon:

Where da hell is your sense of humour? Dry boy! undecided

wet girl grin i'll like to knw what IOU is cos i'm seeing it 4 d first time.
Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by Sweetlemon(f): 8:06pm On Sep 09, 2014
LARRYDKING:
wet girl grin i'll like to knw what IOU is cos i'm seeing it 4 d first time.

IUO not IOU
Re: An Explanation Of Private Universities And Why They Are Cool by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 09, 2014
Sweetlemon:

IUO not IOU

swty, whichever, just give me d full meaning or is IUO just IUO??

(1) (Reply)

HELP!!! So Confusing,Check This Out? / University Of Benin Academic Calendar – 2nd Semester 2014/2015 Session. / BREAKING NEWS:EKSU NASU Calls Off Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.