Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,186 members, 7,811,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:29 PM

Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? (6680 Views)

Ahmadu Bello University: Here We Come. 2015/16 / Recount Bad Experience U Had In The University Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by shegzy(m): 3:19am On Jul 27, 2006
Why is it hard to gain  admission to University here in Nigeria?
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by ZuluNation(m): 3:22am On Jul 27, 2006
I think if you do well in your exams and your name is not an Igbo name you shouldn't have any problems getting admission to any University in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by dearie(m): 3:26am On Jul 27, 2006
What about Igbo names? grin grin grin

I think it depends on your scores and the school.
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by my2cents(m): 4:10am On Jul 27, 2006
Answer is simple - too many students competing for fewer schools. Result? Schools boost their admission scores to weed out pple and of course, in true naija style, bribery is the norm as well.

How to overcome? Allow more private schools, sell off govt schools to the private sector. Competition will ensue and I bet the status quo will return.

as always, my 2 cents
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by beyunce(f): 8:49am On Jul 27, 2006
If u gat d right connections i dont think u wil ave a probs
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Olumide7(m): 9:17am On Jul 27, 2006
A friend of mine had 6 A's in his WAEC , 281 in his JAMB and he still couldn't get admission in Nigeria until I hooked him up with a family friend who works in UNILAG. In Nigerian Universities, once you know somebody in high postions in the University, admission into the University is like child's play!!
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by my2cents(m): 3:25pm On Jul 27, 2006
It is unfortunate when we have to rely on "connections" to go into school. In my opinion, it is the result of indoctrination from the womb which dictates that we are all outcasts if we don't attend university. Granted one who does stands to do better in life than one who doesn't, but what do connections achieve? To me, the answer is clear: a dumbing down of Nigerian Education as well as the encouragement of brain drain.

Too bad, so sad.
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Izzo(m): 8:25am On Jul 29, 2006
It's hard if you try doing it the right way which is getting good grades and just get into the school of choice in some cases, but since we don't believe in that we just go the other way i.e. bribery and corruption. embarassed cry embarassed cry
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 29, 2006
gettin into a university is not as difficult as u think. don't be deceived and try as much as u can to go to the right university that is either not tribalistic or briberyristic. because i noticed get to western university if your igbo is almost second to impossible- quote me any where.
i graduated formt he university of port harcourt and i can beat my hand on my chet to tellu that admission process in the school has been so much sanitised that if anybody tells u to drop money just know he is lying
there are various ways to enter uniport
firstly score very well in jamb.
then go write the aptitude test
if u pass your in if u fail. register for the basic- predegree program it runs ony for one session although the school fees is between 50 and 75k but i tell u 70% of uniport students come in through this way because the school actually needs the money more than u
well there is also a 1 year certificate program if your not in sciences, medicine or engineering because the basic is strickly for these 3 faculties i mentioned above.
the certificate program is for arts/humanites and few social sciences and of course education faCULTIES.
BOTHE THE basci and the certificate program are simple and straight forward only if u would read but 90% always pass most times if u don't make it to your department min scores they reschedule u
for instance medicine cut off point is 65% electrical is 65% other engineering is 55% while sciences is 40% so if your in med /electrical and u don't meet up the 65% u might be sent to sciences.
mind u i said it is easy but we all know uniport is a fun luving university the best in nigeria in that aspect now tell me will u concentrate
because the parties are almost every weekend expecially in 2nd semester, and men u sure must be a genious to attend the parties and still meet up with class work u have to decide which u belong. like i said decide because the schooltransform u wont know when u have drifted i had a lot of friends with extra years in school they did not know when they lost it and the peak period expecially in engineering thats if u succeed is year 1 and 2
so try uniport next jamb have your waec i bet u u woulthankme later
kaecy
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:08am On Sep 06, 2010
Ewoo!
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Dclique(m): 12:04pm On Sep 06, 2010
If you are smart enough. You will get in.
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Olami099(m): 12:23pm On Sep 06, 2010
Is due mainly to RACISM!!!
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Sep 06, 2010
Perfect answer from ola.RACISM. How do you xplain this,a man and a woman who are indigene of Kano gave birth to children but they all live in Lagos and the children dont even know whether kano is in nigeria or not,they dont go dia but they claim the place as thier place of origin. When its time for admission, they'll pick them simply because They're indigene but they dont stay at home. Pls what has that supposed to do wit admission. That is why nigeria is still underdeveloped!
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 06, 2010
There is nothing like discrimination for igbos in the universities in western side. I am currently a student in the Obafemi Awolowo university and i can tell u that i met no single person to help process my admission . Indeed are others of my ilk. One should be able to write the exams and beat the minimum score attached for thier choice courses. Example, cutoff 4 Medicine and pharamcy this year in OAU was placed at 264 and 236 in that order. Tell me,what person who actually want to study those course, will not be able to met these requirements? Indeed they ain't too high. Are they?
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Olami099(m): 1:04pm On Sep 06, 2010
stevetboy9:

Perfect answer from ola.RACISM. How do you xplain this,a man and a woman who are indigene of Kano gave birth to children but they all live in Lagos and the children dont even know whether kano is in nigeria or not,they dont go dia but they claim the place as thier place of origin. When its time for admission, they'll pick them simply because They're indigene but they dont stay at home. Pls what has that supposed to do wit admission. That is why nigeria is still underdeveloped!
u are very right.Unless we say no to racism,may be by den we will be among d developed Nation.
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Olami099(m): 1:11pm On Sep 06, 2010
Johnpaul88:

There is nothing like discrimination for igbos in the universities in western side. I am currently a student in the Obafemi Awolowo university and i can tell u that i met no single person to help process my admission . Indeed are others of my ilk. One should be able to write the exams and beat the minimum score attached for thier choice courses. Example, cutoff 4 Medicine and pharamcy this year in OAU was placed at 264 and 236 in that order. Tell me,what person who actually want to study those course, will not be able to met these requirements? Indeed they ain't too high. Are they?
who told u dat?Most Nigeria unis considers indigene 1st b4 others.Let me ask u 1 questn why is it dat dere are difference in payment of fees btw indigene and none?
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Sep 06, 2010
Northern universities are more concerned with this. I like western universities for one thing,they always give room for merit. If u passed very well,surely they'll admit you but such is not the case in northern universities,if u pass more than anytin,once you're not hausa,muslim or influential,GOD is your only help. I almost regret picking northern uni. God'll bless the labour of our hands.
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Olami099(m): 1:17pm On Sep 06, 2010
amen.
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Kadata(m): 1:56pm On Sep 06, 2010
Admission In Nigeria is strictly based on 2 factors
1> Merit
2> Locality.
That is why you must be mindful of the school you choose and your ability to meet their requirements.

If your academic records are not excellent, why are you choosing IBADAN or ABU as first choice? You might not make it there. Admission is strictly a competition, and only d fittest survive. If you are not fit for a school, why bother trying??

Secondly, the locality. Most states in d South East are 'educationally disadvantaged' . So a special slot is given to citizens of EDS in Federal Universities. For e.g, in my school, someone with 53% aggregate had admission in Medicine simply because he was from ABIA state. Meanwhile a citizen with over 67% aggregate was not even given a chance. You see Even d citizens are denied admission to accomodate EDS students.

My recommendation=> Upgrade you academic stunts, if you want to make it big academically. You won't have time for cut-off points and all those boring stories. In my time, I had 68% in Ume <calculate d score urself> and 82% post-ume. I never had time for the useless stories of cut-off and cachement area.
You can, if you will.
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Sep 06, 2010
Good talk! I hope ppl are reading
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 06, 2010
@Olami099, in OAU ,I paid N15,800 for school fees as a fresher in science faculty in march this year. This is what my roomates who are all yorubas paid in their respective faculties as freshers. U can now infere that there is no distinction whatsoever in payment. All in the same part pay the same fee irrespective of ones ethnic extraction. It may be so in other schools anyway. @Kabaka, Abia state is not an educationally less developed state. Only Ebonyi is , in the south east.
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Kadata(m): 5:34pm On Sep 06, 2010
@Johnpaul
That was then. Not now.
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Sep 06, 2010
@kadata, ELDS are reserved for states that do not have either federal uni or state uni or both. As for Abia, they have fed uni of agric umudike and Absu but Ebonyi is yet to have a fed uni. So u can see that Abia state is entirely off the loop, having satisfied the condition. ELDS dominates in north
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Kadata(m): 11:42pm On Sep 06, 2010
I get ur point. Maybe it wasn't Abia, just one of those South Eastern States, probably Ebonyi as you said. That means Bayelsa state is also a ELDS too. They are also yet to have a Federal Uni. Forgive my error on Abia earlier.
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:18am On Sep 07, 2010
I am from Anambra state. It is nothing, i just thought i should correct the misconception. At least i know this.
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:45am On Sep 07, 2010
More comments
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Olami099(m): 11:06am On Sep 07, 2010
Am waiting?
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Kadata(m): 11:39am On Sep 07, 2010
Another likely reason might be the candidate's ignorance of the university's admission policy.

I had a friend in secondary school who was so good. As in, d guy was a fellow genius. We had equal respect for each other, so we shared secrets too. He told me that he'd be making UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN as his First Choice for Medicine and Surgery. Good choice if you ask me, but bad as things unfolded!
He didn't have the admission.
What happened? IBADAN told him that they don't attend to candidates who are awaiting their school certificate result. So he lost it for that year.

The following year, he choosed the same IBADAN as first choice for Medicine and Surgery. By now he had his School Certificate Result ready and he was hoping for a positive outcome. Another trouble emerged.
What happened this time around? He was told that the criteria for selection into the Department of Medicine and Surgery for that year was a minimum of 70%<calculate it pls> in UME and a minimum of 'B's in his subject combination.
He had less than 70% so he was disqualified.

It was after this that he was informed about the University's Policy on admitting candidates into Medicine. What was it? The University wants most candidates from Direct Entry, who have had a good degree in a Paramedical course<anatomy, biochem, physiology, microbiology etc> to be admitted into Medicine. So they make the conditions for UME candidates so stringent that it might be almost impossible.

Candidates are in a hurry to choose the best schools, but the best schools might not have choices for them.
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Olami099(m): 12:00pm On Sep 07, 2010
Good point
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by herbeetheyme: 12:09pm On Sep 07, 2010
Don't let us fool ourselves,if u meet d necessary requirement u must be in merit list,but 2nd list is based on connection,thank GOD AM admited into unilag dis year for actuarial science,many people told me dat do i know anybody dere i said no,dat i no only GOD AND GOD PASS MAN
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 07, 2010
But some schools release thier list only once
Re: Why Is It Hard To Gain Admission To University Here In Nigeria? by Emmaamaechi(m): 9:43pm On Sep 07, 2010
You ppl shd just stop ds igbos do get admission anywhere in nigeria so stop posting rubbish and end ds topic.4rm an original igbo boy.owpa dat igbo boy

(1) (2) (Reply)

All Students Of Animal And Environmental Biology(aeb). / Checkout The Sexiest Teacher In America / ASUU Strike: No Work No Pay Policy Will Prolong Strike – Union

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.