Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,767 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:33 PM

Ekiti People - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ekiti People (52526 Views)

Ekiti People - The Origin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekiti People by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 10, 2014
dytbabe:

Yh
Very very intelligent, like u guys are good
No doubt
Bt na dis agidi shaaa
...lol..

Na small agidi ooo...
Re: Ekiti People by dytbabe: 9:08pm On Sep 10, 2014
gede7744:

anyway we are proud of ourselves

Ofcus
Its like theroyals, madt ego, I know, I expected that

agidi inu okan, agidi ita
Infact agidi agidi agidi agidi agidi
Re: Ekiti People by lifehacker: 9:10pm On Sep 10, 2014
opon odu o
odu opon
o lala ti koo

ile iyi

ile eye
Re: Ekiti People by MabraO: 9:10pm On Sep 10, 2014
gede7744:

how many towns do u know in ekiti

Omo ekiti sorry I dey yab ur state
D truth is bitter
If I begin mention dem u go sabi say I know ur state pass u
Re: Ekiti People by dytbabe: 9:11pm On Sep 10, 2014
temigracie: ...lol..

Na small agidi ooo...

Plenty agidi jor
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ekiti People by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 10, 2014
adebisiema: Omo Ekiti original ni mi......proud to be an Ekitish

LongLiveIjesaIsu
LongLiveEkitiState
LongLiveNigeria
Are u from Ijesa-Isu Ekiti? Cos I'm from there
Re: Ekiti People by EngrOloye: 9:13pm On Sep 10, 2014
Original omo ekiti nimi.I love d state. we are too much.up up up ekiti
Re: Ekiti People by sholay2011(m): 9:13pm On Sep 10, 2014
evavista: shola are you from Ekiti, I never knew. How is joseph consulting and mentoring #repping omuo-ekiti by the way
Lool...I be Ekiti kete oo.

Joseph Consulting has been awesome. Starting a new SAED tomorrow sha. I have moved on.

How ur side? Now doing general cds?
Re: Ekiti People by Nobody: 9:14pm On Sep 10, 2014
dytbabe:

Plenty agidi jor
grin grin grin grin grin
...lol...

Rara ooo....nah just small shikini agidi....

You know nah!!!....
Re: Ekiti People by sparkleboy(m): 9:15pm On Sep 10, 2014
Ekiti kete
Re: Ekiti People by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 10, 2014
MabraO:

Omo ekiti sorry I dey yab ur state
D truth is bitter
If I begin mention dem u go sabi say I know ur state pass u
You dey vex for them?
Re: Ekiti People by trendiitee(f): 9:17pm On Sep 10, 2014
rodeo0070: I am a proud son of the soil. BTW, what is Ekiti without pounded Yam?
walahi ur head dey dia..... Proudly Ekiti girl......
Re: Ekiti People by evavista: 9:19pm On Sep 10, 2014
sholay2011:
Lool...I be Ekiti kete oo.

Joseph Consulting has been awesome. Starting a new SAED tomorrow sha. I have moved on.

How ur side? Now doing general cds?
yes
Re: Ekiti People by dytbabe: 9:20pm On Sep 10, 2014
temigracie: ...lol...

Rara ooo....nah just small shikini agidi....

You know nah!!!....

Hhehehheheh
We never ka ifa nile

Una no dey ever gree to another
I give up
grin grin grin grin
Re: Ekiti People by victorlekan(m): 9:24pm On Sep 10, 2014
Representing ikole ekiti
Proudly ekiti
Ile iyi Ile eye grin
Re: Ekiti People by lepasharon(f): 9:25pm On Sep 10, 2014
I am from Itapa .
Re: Ekiti People by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 10, 2014
dytbabe:

Hhehehheheh
We never ka ifa nile

Una no dey ever gree to another
I give up
grin grin grin grin
...lol...

Shey you don stay for Ekiti before ni??...how you take know all this??....

Ekiti people are nice and soft....

Starting from moi.....Aldo, am not a full-blown Ekiti
Re: Ekiti People by gede7744(f): 9:28pm On Sep 10, 2014
lepasharon: I am from Itapa .

from ilupeju.

theme- neighbour
Re: Ekiti People by dytbabe: 9:29pm On Sep 10, 2014
temigracie: ...lol...

Shey you don stay for Ekiti before ni??...how you take know all this??....

Ekiti people are nice and soft....

Starting from moi.....Aldo, am not a full-blown Ekiti

I have dated like 4diff ekiti/ondo men and blv u me
They have this royal ego, stubborness, they don't ever wanna listen to u when u talk, infact e plenty

That's the only bad side tho

They are adorable, caring, u can't help bt to love them deep
Re: Ekiti People by Tdro(m): 9:30pm On Sep 10, 2014
Proud to be an Ekiti man. I Rep Ijan-Ekiti
Re: Ekiti People by adebisiema(m): 9:31pm On Sep 10, 2014
Yea, but nah my mum's town b dat, my dad's own is araromi under ikole LG
Re: Ekiti People by MabraO: 9:38pm On Sep 10, 2014
FrankySnow: You dey vex for them?

I no dey vex oh. Just speaking my mind
Dem sabi book no doubt
But dem no use their knowledge develop d state
Only Ado and ikere is well known others na zero
Re: Ekiti People by fredoooooo: 9:39pm On Sep 10, 2014
torres2: Awa omo onile.

Being an indigene is a blessing
Madam the madam is a matter of the cash cheesy
Re: Ekiti People by Blaqsmith(m): 9:40pm On Sep 10, 2014
Anyone from the prestigious Ise Ekiti here?

The hometown of Prof. Oluwole Isaac Agbede (former dean,faculty of Law,UNILAG).

The Hometown of Prince Adedayo Adeyeye (honourable minister of state for works).
Re: Ekiti People by Nobody: 9:41pm On Sep 10, 2014
MabraO:

I no dey vex oh. Just speaking my mind
Dem sabi book no doubt
But dem no use their knowledge develop d state
Only Ado and ikere is well known others na zero
OK o but take am easy as you dey speak your mind o.
Re: Ekiti People by Nobody: 9:43pm On Sep 10, 2014
dytbabe:

I have dated like 4diff ekiti/ondo men and blv u me
They have this royal ego, stubborness, they don't ever wanna listen to u when u talk, infact e plenty

That's the only bad side tho

They are adorable, caring, u can't help bt to love them deep
....Hmmmm!...

We are simply adorable.....

The other ish na small.....
Re: Ekiti People by MabraO: 9:45pm On Sep 10, 2014
FrankySnow: OK o but take am easy as you dey speak your mind o.

Ba problem
Re: Ekiti People by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 10, 2014
macof: I just felt I should compile this for my beloved Ekiti people.

The Ekiti people are aboriginal, culturally homogeneous and highly intellectual agriculturalist Yoruboid-speaking people that forms a sub-group of the larger Yoruba ethnic group of West Africa, particularly in Nigeria and some part of Benin. Ekiti people who are well-known for their diverse and quality of traditional arts, music, poetry and witty sayings are reside predominantly in the Ekiti State in Western Nigeria. The Ekiti constitutes one of the largest Yoruba sub-group in Nigeria with the 2006 population census by the National Population Commission putting the population of Ekiti State at 2,384,212 people.
Ekiti State lies south of Kwara and Kogi State, East of Osun State and bounded by Ondo State in the East and in the south. It was declared a state on October 1, 1996 alongside five others by the military under the dictatorship of General Sani Abacha. The state, carved out of the territory of old Ondo State, covers the former twelve local government areas that made up the Ekiti Zone of old Ondo State. On creation, it took off with sixteen (16) Local Government Areas (LGAs), having had an additional four carved out of the old ones. Ekiti State is one of the thirty-six states that constitute Nigeria. The capital of Ekiti State is Ado-Ekiti.
There are not less than 120 towns in Ekiti state. One important aspect of the Ekiti towns is the common suffix "Ekiti" attached to their names eg. Ido-Ekiti, Ado-Ekiti, Oye-Ekiti.

Historically Ekiti people like the larger Yoruba are aborigine to the region, until absorbed by the invaders from the East. The term Ekiti denotes a "Mound", and is derived from the rugged mountainous feature of the country. It is an extensive province and well watered, having several tribes and clans right on to the border of the Niger, eastward. They hold themselves quite distinct from the Ijesas, especially in political affairs but have always had a strong brotherhood consciousness.

Ekiti themselves never saw each other as one nation until the Ekiti parapo(Ekiti confederacy) agreement of 1877 in order to raise a strong army against Ibadan.
The 16 foremost Ekiti Obas also went into agreements with Ijesa as Ogedengbe of Ilesa led the Ekiti parapo army

It is believed that the ancestors of Ekiti people who came to combine with the aboriginal people on the land migrated from Ile Ife, the spiritual home of the Yoruba people. According to oral and contemporary written sources of Yoruba history, Oduduwa, the ancestor of the Yoruba traveled to Ife [Ife Ooyelagbo] where he met people who were already settled there. Among the elders he met in the town were Agbonniregun,Obatala, Orelure, Obameri, Elesije, Obamirin, Obalejugbe just to mention a few. It is known that descendants of Agbonniregun [Baba Ifa] settled in Ekiti, examples being the Alara and Ajero who are sons of Ifa from the same mother. Orunmila himself spent a greater part of his life at Ado before going back to Ife to become Oba of Oketase, Ife. Due to this, we have the saying ‘Ado ni ile Ifa’ [Ado is the home of Ifa].

The early Ekiti country is divided into 16 districts (and it has been maintained to this day), each with its own Owa or King (Owa being a generic term amongst them) some of which are Owore of Otun,The Ajero of Ijero, Alara of Aramoko, Alaye of Efon-Alaye, Ewi of Ado, Elekole of Ikole, Olojudo of Ido, Oloye of Oye, Arinjale of Ise(and 7 others i dont know). these 16 Owas controlled other small towns that paid homage to them, Ewi and Owore are said to have had the largest territories.

The Ekiti are very intelligent and have a deep love of home- there has been no large scale migration of Ekiti peoples to neighbouring countries, but Ekitis are in other parts of Yorubaland mostly in Ondo, Oshun and Kwara states. Respect for age and superiors, ingrained politeness is part and parcel of their nature. Ekiti land is reputed to have produced the highest number of professors in Nigeria.It is rather by heritage than by accident that the motto of the present Ekiti state is “Fountain of Knowledge,” since Agbonniregun whose descendants are all over Ekitiland is praised as Akeke-f'inu s'ogbon [the small man with a mind full of wisdom, which could be the source of the popular "Ekiti kete" slogan
Several pioneers academics are from the state. Pioneers like Profs Adegoke Olubummo (One of the 1st Nigerian Professors in the field of Mathematics), Adeyinka Adeyemi (1st Professor of Architecture in West Africa). Others include renowned academics like Profs J.F. Ade-Ajayi, Niyi Osundare, Sam Aluko and others too many to mention

The main staple food of the people of Ekiti is pounded yam with Isapa soup or vegetable soup. NATURAL RESOURCES Ekiti land is naturally endowed with numerous natural resources. The state is potentially rich in mineral deposits. These include granite, kaolin, columbite, channockete, iron ore, baryte, aquamine, gemstone, phosphate, limestone,GOLD among others. They are largely deposited in different towns and villages of Ijero, Ekiti West, Ado - Ekiti, Ikole, Ikere, Ise-Ekiti and other Local Government Areas.The Land is also blessed with water resources, some of its major rivers are Ero, Osun, Ose, and Ogbese. More so a variety of tourist attractions abound in the state namely, Ikogosi Warm Spring, Ipole - Iloro Water Falls, Olosunta hills, Ikere, Fajuyi Memorial Park Ado - Ekiti and so on. The Ikogosi tourist centre is the most popular and the most developed. The warm spring is a unique natural feature, and supporting facilities are developed in the centre. The spring is at present being processed and packaged into bottled water for commercial purpose by a private company - UAC Nigeria
Moreover, the land is buoyant in agricultural resources with cocoa as its leading cash crop. It was largely known that Ekiti land constituted well over 40% of the cocoa products of the famous old Western Region. The land is also known for its forest resources, notably timber. Because of the favorable climatic conditions, the land enjoys luxuriant vegetation, thus, it has abundant resources of different species of timber. Food crops like yam, cassava, and also grains like rice and maize are grown in large qualities. Other notable crops like kola nut and varieties of fruits are also cultivated in commercial quantities

Ekiti Anthem
" Oun abajoro kiipe kun
Oun asepo nileye
Ehin ola wa tidara o
Awa Ekiti ati parapo
Kaparapo katun panupo
Awa Ekiti ati gbominira
Okan lawansee
Chorus: Ekiti, Ekiti ati gbominira (2ce)
Awa Ekiti iwaju laomalo lagbara Olorun
Awa Ekiti okan soso ma ni’wa o lailai."

Oriki Ekiti
omo Owa omo ekun
omo oro ninu waya agbele sebi eko, aidamo ro o yangba
omo otiriki ju Ida, ki keri ogun hun won l'ule Owa
Elila oke isa, okan din nibe eyin ra kan si, okan le nibe inse leyin pa kan je
Omo agesin re popo ukoro,
Omo ogbogan gbogan leti
Omo aroyin royin kan se po e yo run lule aran
Omo ekun peran dagba aya si,
Omo jiwajiwa ileke
Eyin lomo olulu oro kii ro loru.
Omo olupepe ka sokasoka ka mebibo sere, ka
soloko segbe ogiri lule eyigbo
Eyin lomo irafi eemi, omo agbona bi ado
Omo elewure funfun ilasa ki fun bi okin
Omo obanla ba odo, omo arabaribi akuta
Omo Aalaere gbendeke, Omo aji be gbaa ji
Udile Ekiti Omo aji mogun sano omo
opababa lesi lodo ose oko.

ADEYEMI Ekundayo Adeyinka, Prof. Distinguished Professor, 1st Professor of Architecture in West Africa
Adegoke Olubummo, Ekit man and one of the 1st Nigerian Professors in the field of Mathematics
Saraibi Ogedengbe Agbogungboro
wa gbayi!
Re: Ekiti People by Nobody: 9:46pm On Sep 10, 2014
MabraO:

Ba problem
Come derailers thread.
Re: Ekiti People by tosyne2much(m): 9:47pm On Sep 10, 2014
I rep Ekiti
Re: Ekiti People by MabraO: 9:48pm On Sep 10, 2014
temigracie: ....Hmmmm!...

We are simply adorable.....

The other ish na small.....

She said d men re adorable not the ladies
Y classifying urself amongst the men?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Flogging Competition In Ipetu-Ijesha, Osun State (Photos & Video) / Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations / Edo State Proverbs In All Dialects With Translation(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.