Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,391 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" (34076 Views)

Lagos Driver Brutally Beaten By A Policeman For Scratching A Car (photos) / Mobile Policeman On The Lose / Photo Of A Drunk Nigerian Policeman On Duty (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by AriDsexy(f): 9:51am On Sep 10, 2014
Funny..hahaha.For me,its when you completely ignore them or u try to connect a call to a person of higher authourity or a superior police officer,that gets them really upset grin.
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by Haywhymido(m): 9:55am On Sep 10, 2014
Talk of d occupation i hate most
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 10, 2014
Mention:
Badoo
that's how we roll.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by tuffgongjo(m): 10:05am On Sep 10, 2014
A policeman is just a step away from becoming a "Thiefman".
Which kin friendship dey betwixt Dog$Tiger?
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by tuffgongjo(m): 10:11am On Sep 10, 2014
msmon: Bail is FREE!
In which country?
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by lionduke(m): 10:24am On Sep 10, 2014
Adetayo100: Those black fools aren't our friends at all, if i were the President of this country i will scrap the police force; they are our biggest problem in this country
Are you for real. scrap police?
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by bdek(m): 10:42am On Sep 10, 2014
CharlieMaria:
Just one word for you: you have not encountered a police man. If you do come back and let's talk.
the best way to encounter police is to own a car, and i ve been driving for 24 years now,i know police very well, they show the same way our society behave ,most Nigerians beef each other,Nigerians behave well only when they need favor and outside airport an example . if a policeman see that you have confidence and duly register ur car,without a short cut they will let you go with good approach from you. some of us patronize tout ,illegal driver licences ,illegal car document,using one plate number for 3 cars... a lot,so once a policeman challenge you , u like bark back to shaloooooo the policeman most often times it works and if u run out of luck u wan to beg and escape the law,the issue is our system is dat bad,sometimes wrong seem right . cool wink grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by kingslayer(m): 10:56am On Sep 10, 2014
Its only in movies dat u see d police catching bad guys..but in d REAL WORLD,How can we expect dem to protect & serve d community wen dey have joined forces with d criminals..*in lucky dube's voice* "DON'T STEAL,POLICE HATE COMPETITION"
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by jtroy(m): 11:11am On Sep 10, 2014
lionduke: “Police is your friend,” an officer would proudly say.

“Go tell that to the marines,” is the likely reply he would get anywhere outside a
police station.

We are now outside a station, specifically at Maryland junction, where the men-in-
black/blue/camouflage/orange are going about their ‘duties’. Police man, u dey blow big big grammar oooo. Where u come dey when "oga at the top" become chairman? Abi na u be the anonymous oga at the top?

Some are controlling traffic but our ‘specimen’ for experiment are those flagging
down vehicles and asking for their particulars and other ‘things’ of interest.

We spot a rather cheerful one in their midst and conclude he would be our ideal Man
Friday – the one to tell us the reason for the seeming animosity between the police
and the policed. We are right.

Note: We narrowed our ‘research topic’ to altercation during ‘stop and search’ for ease
of…writing!

So, here are the six things you do that annoy a police officer on ‘stop and search’.

1. NO ‘HELLO’ OR ‘HI’

If we stop you for routine check while driving or walking, we don’t like you calling a
so-called superior officer of ours on the phone. The worst part is handing us the
phone to continue a conversation we didn’t initiate. Imagine this awkward chat:

So-called Superior Officer: Yes, who are you please?

Me: Who are you too, please SIR?

SSO: It seems you want to lose your job. Do you know who you are talking with?

Me: I don’t know; that’s why I’m asking SIR

SSO: The person you are harassing…

Me: (cuts in) Harassing? I’m just doing my job…

SSO: (cuts in) Which job? The job you are about losing? My friend, will you release
him immediately before I call Alausa?

Me: Ok sir. Ok sir.

I hand over the phone as well as your incomplete papers. You smile but I know it
deserves a punch in return. Who am I to do that in broad daylight? I mark your face
and car, though.

2. USE, MISUSE, AND ABUSE OF ‘ESPRIT DE CORPS’

You, a bloody civilian, just blurt out those words ‘Esprit de Corp’ once we flag you
down. You are not a police officer. Neither are you in the navy, army, or air force.

You are not even in the civil defence or boys scout. Perhaps I could forgive you if
you are a staff of LASTMA!

“Esprit de Corps, Esprit de Corps,” you look so learned and educated yet you don’t
know the meaning of the words.

Let me educate you.

When we say those words, we are referring to the common spirit existing among
members of a group that inspires enthusiasm, devotion, and strong regard for the
honour of the group. It’s like feelings of loyalty, enthusiasm, and devotion to a
group among people who are members of the group.

You and I are not in the same category, sorry, group.

3. GALLANT MOPOL AND OTHER FUNNY BANNERS AND
STICKERS

Related to the point above are the funny banners and stickers you hang on your
front mirror and windscreen.

Gallant Mopol! Navy! Army! They announce.

Sometimes, we are magnanimous enough and listen to your explanation that the
vehicle actually belongs to your father’s uncle’s son in the army, but most times,
you allow your ‘Gallant Mopol’ to intoxicate you with Dutch courage and challenge
our ‘audacity to stop’ you.

That’s when we remind you that you are a bloody civilian after all!

4. ‘DON’T YOU KNOW I AM A LAWYER’ AND OTHERS WHO KNOW
THEIR RIGHTS

“Don’t you know I’m a lawyer? I know my rights and if you infringe on my rights, I’ll
sue you. Sue the IG; sue the federal government.”

We have no problem with you being a lawyer or knowing your rights as a citizen of
the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

In fact, we love relating to learned gentlemen and women who have a copy of the
1999 Constitution resting above their dashboard. It shows you read and we know
readers are leaders.

What we don’t like is you acting ungentlemanly; screaming like a drug peddler in a
commercial bus just to pass your message across. We love your energy but we
believe it can be put to better use – like in the courtroom.

5. TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED
…and do yourself no harm!

Sorry, for corrupting Ist Chronicles 16:22, but it best explains how I may react if you
go beyond using your speech organs in our interaction.

It’s so disrespectful touching an officer on the chin, shoulder, waist, wherever, just
because you want to buttress your point.

I could choose to ignore your insults, stare, and any other ‘tactic’ you adopt as
survival mechanism while with us.

I won’t ignore your touch.

6. IT IS MY OFFICE FOR PETE’S SAKE

However you view it, I’m in my office when on the road and you must respect my
office, notwithstanding that it’s on the road.

When you go to a bank, do you fill deposit slip when withdrawing cash?

When you go to a hospital, do you prescribe drugs and injection that the doctor and
nurse will administer on you?

Why then do you treat my office with contempt? Why can’t you obey simple
instructions?

What’s difficult in comprehending: ‘’Can I see your vehicle particulars?’’

You know your vehicle insurance has expired, so why wait until you are asked?

We are here to serve you and believe me: ‘’Police is you friend

Copyright 2014 The Cable.

www.thecable.ng
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 10, 2014
fyneboi79: Of course yes.Its more of a paramilitary service for that period ‎u r in uniform. ASP or second lieutenant rank.
bros D fact dat u r on NYSC unifirm does not mean u r equivalent to any officer in the military or paramilitary force not even a private
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:14am On Sep 10, 2014
Really with the way Nigerian police goes about its business, I can now relate a bit to what Karl Max way thinking of when he said abolish the police et al.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by LyfeJennings(m): 11:15am On Sep 10, 2014
Reminds me of an incident that happened last year. I took my brother somewhere around Gbagada. When I finished,I was unconsciously in front of the police station at Charlie Boy bus stop,thinking of where to go as I didnt want to go home & at the same time,I was having serious heart burn and needed drugs.
So this foolish policeman standing at the gate of the police station saw me waiting by vendor opposite the police station. After making my calls,he called me & requested to see my phone which I gladly gave him. He asked what I do,I said I work for my dad. He was asking too many foolish questions so I cut him short bluntly. I told him, sir,I wont deny any of your baseless accusations,I wont resist any form of arrest if U want to arrest me,Just be kind enough to get me antacid for my heart burn.
He was about taking me into the station when another officer who was eavesdropping screamed,abeg leave am o. Make e no go peme for station o. U no know who him be. @ that point, me sef come dey beg, oga,Please arrest me. Please,I want to go to station... grin grin ... at this point,they now concluded to use their van to help me look for the nearest pharmacy to get my antacid

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by arsetalks(m): 11:31am On Sep 10, 2014
Ekundayo7:
Because you are then set up as easy target and didn't dash your "protection" waiting outside o
I rather get shot and killed than allow a police officer "obtain" me when I am not an offender.
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by arsetalks(m): 11:31am On Sep 10, 2014
SStoneCCold:
May her soul rest in peace.
Amen. Thanks.
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by lusciouslex: 11:48am On Sep 10, 2014
Never let POLICE catch you having fun. Example: being young and handsome driving on some tight wheels with your Honeys and the music is really LOUD! They may open fire if you don't only take your foot off the gas but come down to pay your dues. Police is your FRIEND...there comes a time in 'the game' you'll wish you were caught by the police than 'dem boys'. Again, their physical presence alone can curb something from going down cos very few can regulate in their midst.
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by coolme434: 11:59am On Sep 10, 2014
wordsbase: grin The easiest way to get away from a police stop and search interrogation is to immediately ask for directions to a place, feigning you're a visitor.. It has worked many times for me.
LOL u shouldn't have shared that here na, kk let me give nairalanders another clue, if u're driving and you spot them first, just act like your ride is faulty and try pushing it, they go even help u push am comot for their front so that better prospect no go run
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by Freest(m): 12:13pm On Sep 10, 2014
Gentlebabs: The next time a Policeman stops you, You say "Good morning Mr. Uche, How is your family". Knowing you present or actually care a little could melt any purported ulterior motive. You - lol get a better result when you try to call him using his sign call. Hence I have decided to make it available to those who are not acquainted with it (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Gambia, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, Oscar, Papa, Quebec, Romeo, Serial, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whisky, Xerox, Yankee & Zulu).

Try spelling your name using this sign calls. Mine is: Bravo Alpha Bravo (Babs). Signing out. Cheers!
Whats the meaning of those names and their application
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by hertz9te(m): 12:19pm On Sep 10, 2014
lokito: They are not our friends jare.

One angry Army man asked my friend a simple question, my friend was like "I know my right and i...." Army hausa man didn't allow him finish his statement, see many many slaps like seven-in-one knockout (banger) sound.

Furious Army man shouts at him "you see those 500 blocks across this gutter carry all of them cross over back here now"
Politely my friend started carrying the blocks.

One hour later, The Army commandant was driving past and saw my friend, who happens to be his Lawyer carrying blocks. Commandant scolds Army man seriously then turns to my friend and asks "my brother don't be angry please, how many blocks have you carried so far?"
My friend says 300 blocks. Commandant says "don't mind that fool, take the 300 blocks back" LOL!!!

You see, POLICE oh, Army oh none of them is our friends at all
lwkmd..:......now where is the like button.
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by Rocktation(f): 12:48pm On Sep 10, 2014
Really OP, you think being a Nigerian police officer makes you tough? Can you match the doings of your couterparts abroad? I was honestly hoping to see certain SERIOUS guidelines that would enable YOU serve the people more appropriately and there you were talking about how they should act all dumb on you guys, whenever they feel harrassed. To say certain acts annoy you, is even annoying in itself. You would rather they allow you put them behind counters or seize their car keys when you pounce on them, than put a distress call to some higher power...completely ignoring the right of a person to atleast a phone call? You also don't want them reminding you that they haven't forgotten their rights - because it can be used against them in court abi? And you cannot be touched? What is that? Are you salt or are the citizens, rain?
You may have a distaste for your poor choice of profession, looking that there weren't and aren't many other options in Nigeria and at whatever time you sought and are seeking them, but you, holding the poor masses responsible for your disposition to always be impossible, just will not fly as even some sort of crappy guide to being a good 'bloody civilian'. So just spare everyone abeg.
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by ogawisdom(m): 12:51pm On Sep 10, 2014
Hmmm op all u said may nt apply to naija d main mistake is hesitating to show ur paper (I dnt mean ur car papers ooo I mean #50 note abi r u a learner grin) cheesy wink
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by willorie(f): 12:59pm On Sep 10, 2014
lokito: They are not our friends jare.

One angry Army man asked my friend a simple question, my friend was like "I know my right and i...." Army hausa man didn't allow him finish his statement, see many many slaps like seven-in-one knockout (banger) sound.

Furious Army man shouts at him "you see those 500 blocks across this gutter carry all of them cross over back here now"
Politely my friend started carrying the blocks.

One hour later, The Army commandant was driving past and saw my friend, who happens to be his Lawyer carrying blocks. Commandant scolds Army man seriously then turns to my friend and asks "my brother don't be angry please, how many blocks have you carried so far?"
My friend says 300 blocks. Commandant says "don't mind that fool, take the 300 blocks back" LOL!!!

You see, POLICE oh, Army oh none of them is our friends at all

cheesy cheesy cheesy Lokito u try
chei! I no fid laugh self
taking back 300 blocks
isn't dat double punishment? >:\
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by zudozz: 1:02pm On Sep 10, 2014
D police men in festac are d worst on d face of d earth! The keep checking people's phone for email address to negotiate bail n extort money while robbers n real criminals are busy having a field day. When there are not doing this they are chasing okada people to seize d okada n extort money. If d okada is very clean they ll seize it n give it 2 their small aboki boys 2 drive n bring return 2 them They dont chase thief at all. Another thing they dont go on transfer If u transfer them to agboju (nearby area outside festac) I heard they use more than 400k 2 bribe 2 come back 2 festac 2 continue checking people's phone or stand beside banks 2 share money with ''job men'' that are coming out from western union with dollars! FESTAC POLICE IS USELESS N CORRUPT N THIEVES! ARMED ROBBERS DONT COME 2 FESTAC D POLICE IN FESTAC ARE D ROBBERS!
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by willorie(f): 1:07pm On Sep 10, 2014
Pavore9: Hmm..Oga officer we have noted what annoys you, l hope you also have a very good idea of what annoys law-abiding motorists, remember if the road is your office, we are the ones paying your salary.....let the respect be mutual!

yarn dat dude wetin him no sabi abeg wink
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by Gentlebabs(m): 1:30pm On Sep 10, 2014
zudozz: D police men in festac are d worst on d face of d earth! The keep checking people's phone for email address to negotiate bail n extort money while robbers n real criminals are busy having a field day. When there are not doing this they are chasing okada people to seize d okada n extort money. If d okada is very clean they ll seize it n give it 2 their small aboki boys 2 drive n bring return 2 them They dont chase thief at all. Another thing they dont go on transfer If u transfer them to agboju (nearby area outside festac) I heard they use more than 400k 2 bribe 2 come back 2 festac 2 continue checking people's phone or stand beside banks 2 share money with ''job men'' that are coming out from western union with dollars! FESTAC POLICE IS USELESS N CORRUPT N THIEVES! ARMED ROBBERS DONT COME 2 FESTAC D POLICE IN FESTAC ARE D ROBBERS!
Yet they win laurels for crime bursting, best Police Command in West Africa. They have kept Festac safe since 1970, despite their failihilities. Yet, people will still pay over #400 to rent houses in Festac. If your hands are clean, you have nothing to fear about Festac Police, they are really working...
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by burningspear(m): 1:47pm On Sep 10, 2014
Gentlebabs: Sometime in 2012, I was driving to Unilag for an exam which I was already late for. Before I negotiated 'Oja', I'm my quest to get to the hall quickly, I entered "That Lane" that most people still do not know is ONE - WAY. It took a passer - by whom I did not even know his face to hulla "One way - One Way" for me to realise and suddenly began to re - negotiate the road, but it was too late. The officers on duty quickly used "Okada", blocked me like they have been waiting for me to breach the law. Immediately I saw them, I removed my car key and gave it to them, acknowledging guilt & told them there is no ignorance in law. Fortunately for me, I know the Sign - calls from A - Z. As a Marketer, i addressed the officer that approached using his name tag "Uniform Charlie Hotel Echo". He looked at me & asked me to identify myself; for which I told him with a smile "I am a bloody civilian". With my car key in his hand, he looked at me in depth and said, "Chai! If not for your humility?. Just show us love". Unfortunately, I had just about #400 after buying fuel. I appealed to him that I am not buoyant at the moment, he should please forgive. He did, I left for my exam without paying a dime for an offence that is not less than #............. (You know how much you paid when you were caught).

Morale: Police is your friend. If you see them as your friend, you will be courteous in your approach and response. Who knows, it could be a win - win situation for you. This strategy still works for me like the talisman of India. Cheers!

You have made this thread much more interesting and useful. I have been in this situation before. The last was along Oshodi Apapa service lane, you wont know it's one-way! The front was clear, perhaps I would have tried to escape. But I didn't. As they approached, all I did was to come down, voluntarily hand the car key over to them, raised by hands to the air and apologized. They took their time to explain the implications of taking one-way and then let me go. We exchanged phone numbers!

Learning: To get the best from the Nigerian Police, we also need to change our attitude. Do not try to intimidate the police officer with your status, link, position, profession or achievement. There are many fine officers in the Nigerian Police Force and other security agencies. Be polite. Be humble. Be clean. Be true. It works!

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by kalishay: 1:48pm On Sep 10, 2014
OP how many of d police are learned to that extend?? I don't have problem with the profession police but the people in the profession. They created the image that people c in them. They re always praying and looking for a scapegoat to bully, touts so unprofessional, plz dey should b. Enlightened more of their responsibility n approach on dear citizens of this nation
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by VocalWalls: 2:04pm On Sep 10, 2014
tiarwale: OMG u need help ASAP.

Really? Help me then.
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 10, 2014
coolme434:
LOL u shouldn't have shared that here na, kk let me give nairalanders another clue, if u're driving and you spot them first, just act like your ride is faulty and try pushing it, they go even help u push am comot for their front so that better prospect no go run
my broda... Lol.. You sef sbi.
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by todayguest(m): 2:34pm On Sep 10, 2014
nwachinemelu: Let FG change their uniform,d black outfit makes dia heart so black,some of dem dnt evn wash dia uniform,,,let dem introduce anoda colour to dia uniform it will definetly come good of them!
where do you live?
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by charsol: 3:12pm On Sep 10, 2014
I love neat and good-looking policemen.....not those shabby and malnuorished ones on rumpled uniform
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by orlaryhincah(m): 3:14pm On Sep 10, 2014
F.uck the police cuz in my state of mind all Cops are disposal (always, pampers)...
Re: 6 Things You Do That Annoy A Policeman on "Stop And Search" by lyricalz: 4:50pm On Sep 10, 2014
Nigerian police force - worst organization ever, worst in all areas.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Categories Of People That Regularly Patronize Herbalists / One Of Nigeria's Hairiest Women, Queen Okafor, Tells Her Story / 50 Vocabularies & Big Grammars Used By Patrick Obahiagbon & Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.