Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,600 members, 7,820,147 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC (13288 Views)

2016 Best Phone With Long Lasting Battery Life Up To 3 Days On Calls / NATCOMMS To Protest Mtn’s “rip-off” Of Nigerian Subscribers / Glo ReLoads Glo Flexi: Get 40% Discount On Calls To OTHER Networks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by tdayof(m): 8:47am On Sep 10, 2014
choii
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by Liamm(m): 8:47am On Sep 10, 2014
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by WOCKHARDI(m): 8:47am On Sep 10, 2014
Good news to Telecom providers.To we the subscribers..... God dey
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by brownlord: 8:47am On Sep 10, 2014
BlackPeni5: And they say Nigerians are poor? Something is not adding up here.

The study should also let us know the percentage of Nigerians which accounted for the bulk figure...Could be a few criminals spending their loot.

Wait for Ghana and United Nations to tell you 99 percent of Nigeria are living below 1 dollar. Yeye dey smell.

This amount alone is like annual budget for Ghana and Togo
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by lilprinze: 8:47am On Sep 10, 2014
all this Telecom providers are really exploiting us to the fullest
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by holarid(m): 8:47am On Sep 10, 2014
yet MTN dd nt give me 1gb of 13 anniversary. angry ..... in jst 5 month? dey ar makin enough to reduce dere call rate to 10k/sec or less nw undecided
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by goodygirl1(f): 8:48am On Sep 10, 2014
We are always paying too much for everything esp that subscription palava...chai! Subscriptions fit kill person..
.Android and windows mobile can relate with me...
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by Tundellinium(m): 8:48am On Sep 10, 2014
who say Nigeria is a poor country should think twice...
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by nairamaverick(m): 8:49am On Sep 10, 2014
these companies should be quoted on the stock exchange
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by ernnymoss(m): 8:49am On Sep 10, 2014
didadavid: Just for calls? Without even calculating the amount we spend on their slow browsing

hahahahhahaha grin grin grin[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by ERCROSS(m): 8:50am On Sep 10, 2014
constance500:

I see u cheesy
busted....
grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by Nobody: 8:51am On Sep 10, 2014
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by rill: 8:52am On Sep 10, 2014
How does this info stop mtn from sending me spam messages
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by arsetalks(m): 8:54am On Sep 10, 2014
Goes to show how much money these operators make while providing us rubbish service. I adore the patience of those still on MTN network. Dropped my MTN line last month after 6 years of patience.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by wallex1983(m): 8:55am On Sep 10, 2014
Firstly I believe this iڪ not for calls alone, but includes data.

But my question iڪ: they make so much money, yet they(especially mtn) retrench permanent staff and indulge more of contract staff. Should this be so?

Besides, how much iڪ their tax? Cos I believe govt will have part of this. Or iڪ this their net? Even if it iڪ their net, govt must be smiling to †ђξ bank also.

Lastly, #reduceourcallrates
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by Dreyl(m): 8:55am On Sep 10, 2014
Wow shocked that's a lotsa cash,this network providers are really milking us dry.
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by standupguy(m): 8:57am On Sep 10, 2014
This is the reason Nigeria should never break up, our population is good for business.
We just need good leaders to manage our resources ensure this wealth is properly distributed and not in the hand of a few.
Great country with beautiful potentials.
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by youngguru23(m): 8:58am On Sep 10, 2014
really

now posted

Waec Gce Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa Obj
& Theory Answers 2014/2015 |
Myshoolsinfo - http://myschoolsinfo.com/forum2_theme_111395442.xhtml?tema=6
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by tchigofigo(m): 8:59am On Sep 10, 2014
constance500:

I see u cheesy
u be EYEsaac, abi EYEsiah..abi LUKman wey u de see, see
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by henryobinna(m): 9:00am On Sep 10, 2014
Kingspin:
Telecoms subscribers in Nigeria spent about N602.6 billion on airtime for their
phones to make calls in the first five months of the year, spanning January to
May, New Telegraph investigations have revealed.

The figure is arrived at using the subscriber data released monthly by the
telecoms industry regulator, Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) and
the current industry’s Average Revenue Per User (ARPU) provided by the
operators.

figures released by the telecom regulator. It was gathered that each of the
monthly subscription represents the total number of active lines on all mobile
networks in the country. These include the Global System for Mobile
Communications (GSM) operators; the Code Division Multiple Access
operators as well as the fixed wired/ wireless networks.

Two telecoms firms, MTN and Etisalat, put the current average spending by
subscribers monthly at $6 (N936). Further investigation revealed that
subscribers spent estimated N191.5 billion in January with based on the
number of subscribers, which stood at 127 million and the ARPU averaging
N936.

With the same ARPU, subscribers’ spending moved to an estimated N120.7
billion in February; N118.8 billion in March; N121 billion in April and in May, the
airtime expenditure was conservatively estimated at N112.7 billion.

Subscribers’ expenditure thus adds up to estimated N602.6 billion for the five
months, indicating the premium paid to telecoms services by the consumers.
Reacting to the findings in a telephone interview, President, National
Association of Telecoms Subscribers (NATCOMS), Mr. Deolu Ogunbanjo, said
telecoms services were taking priority position in the daily needs of Nigerians.

He said: “While I may not be able to tell you categorically how much we spend
monthly on phone calls as subscribers, it is understandable that Nigerians
spend a sizeable chunk of their incomes on telecoms services, which are
replacing travel expenditures for the people.”

Ogunbanjo said, next to shelter, food and other needs of man “is the need to
communicate, which saves us a lot of time that would have been wasted
travelling from one place to another to see relatives or do transactions with
business associates.”

He stated that the huge amount of money expended daily on telephone
services by Nigerians had informed the insistence by the consumer rights
group that “subscribers must get value for their money through the provision
of quality services by the operators.”

However, President, Association of Licensed Telecoms Operators (ALTON), Mr.
Gbenga Adebayo, said the expenditure by subscribers had even reduced
drastically in the last 13 years of telecoms regulation.

“You will recall that, in this country, we have made calls for close to N100 and
today, we are witnessing a decrease in ARPU and in fact, today, you can make
calls for as low as N10 and also send text messages for as low as N4 he stated.

The ARPU is a financial performance benchmark in the telecoms industry that
measures the average monthly revenue generated by operators from each
customer.

According to official industry data by the telecoms watchdog, the industry
recorded 127.6 million active mobile subscriptions last January and this figure
increased to 129 million at the end of February. the number declined to 127 million but picked up to 129.3 million in April and at the end of May, the figure stood at 131.1 million.

The May subscriber data is the latest official promoted by the regulator is
driving cost of telecoms services down, stressing that much more reduction is
expected in the coming years.

Acknowledging how capital-intensive telecoms infrastructure deployment is,
the NCC boss had recently said only MTN was making profits in the market. He
said other operators were still putting more investment in infrastructure rollout
to cover more locations in the country.

MTN currently leads other network operators in the area of subscriber base
and revenue generation in the country.

Official data show that MTN currently has about 57.2 million telephone users
on its network. Airtel Nigeria trailed with 25.5 million; Globacom is third with
23.4 million while Etisalat has 18.5 million telephone users on its network.
This was as at the end of March when the latest data was released by the
regulator.

www.newtelegraphonline.com
na GOD go punish MTN.
imagine I bought a new sim registerd n recharged on it. I never used this sim at all, I only put it in my phone to Check if the registration was success but was not.
the next day I put it to Check again n it was success, the next thing i saw was I've been charged for 'my' callertune subscriprion on s sim i never used
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by Nobody: 9:01am On Sep 10, 2014
"Official data show that MTN
currently has about 57.2
million telephone users
on its network. Airtel Nigeria
trailed with 25.5 million;
Globacom is third with 23.4 million while Etisalat has
18.5 million telephone users on
its network."

Nigerians can never manage things!. Last time I checked Glo had 25+m suscribers-second on the list. Airtel had some 18m+ suscribers then,Etisalat's was 14m+.

Now you guys can see for yourselves! While the foreign firms are multiplying,ours is decreasing! sad -on decline. Shame!
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by j4sure(m): 9:03am On Sep 10, 2014
Vow! JUST IN FIVE MONTHS
This pple don hammer Nigerians die o!
Nigeria.

MTN SEND ME MY FREE 1GB DATA O. I NEVER SEE MY OWN O

and let me help u out with ur web design& development also
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by iceberylin(m): 9:03am On Sep 10, 2014
Thats cause our Network operators have refused to make it Cheaper
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by tchigofigo(m): 9:04am On Sep 10, 2014
oga seun don find trouble o..pple go write their auto-biography as signature, then post like hundred times.,so that each page wil nt av up to 10posts..n those bizness guys don see free advert avenues.
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by san316(m): 9:04am On Sep 10, 2014
In this, there is no doubt. I think telecoms operators make more money than banks. Still they are not trying, they are exploiting Nigerians.
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by samseen02(m): 9:09am On Sep 10, 2014
BlackPeni5: And they say Nigerians are poor? Something is not adding up here.

The study should also let us know the percentage of Nigerians which accounted for the bulk figure...Could be a few criminals spending their loot.
NO, its N936 average money spend per subcriber monthly, with 127 million subcribers in 5months. @least NCC should do something abt dis. Subcribers are always honest bt providers na another case entirely(poor service) for huge profits realize 4rm us *bullsh**t.
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by godman01(m): 9:15am On Sep 10, 2014
What! This is serious. And We go say money No dey.
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by ducii: 9:16am On Sep 10, 2014
skimarvel: And the foreign media will say ''All nigerians are living below 1dollar a day''...The truth is until we learn taking our statistics for ourselves,they won't stop lying against us..A poor man won't leave food and buy recharge card would he?

I agree with you 100%
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by rman: 9:18am On Sep 10, 2014
Tundellinium: who say Nigeria is a poor country should think twice...

The government is seriously working towards that. By 2015 this should happen
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by rman: 9:19am On Sep 10, 2014
san316: In this, there is no doubt. I think telecoms operators make more money than banks. Still they are not trying, they are exploiting Nigerians.

There is no bank in Nigeria as big as MTN in terms of revenue.
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by ducii: 9:20am On Sep 10, 2014
nairamaverick: these companies should be quoted on the stock exchange

very true, they should allow Nigerians benefit from all this money they are making.
Re: Nigerian Subscribers Spend N602.6 Billion On Calls In Five Months - NCC by rman: 9:22am On Sep 10, 2014
Nobleval: "Official data show that MTN
currently has about 57.2
million telephone users
on its network. Airtel Nigeria
trailed with 25.5 million;
Globacom is third with 23.4 million while Etisalat has
18.5 million telephone users on
its network."

Nigerians can never manage things!. Last time I checked Glo had 25+m suscribers-second on the list. Airtel had some 18m+ suscribers then,Etisalat's was 14m+.

Now you guys can see for yourselves! While the foreign firms are multiplying,ours is decreasing! sad -on decline. Shame!

Adenuga runs GLO like a one man business. You don't expect the level of professionalism that obtains in MTN at management level and Etisalat to happen in GLO. In GLO," na eye service dey reign at management level".

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Joy Do Android Users Derive From Badmouthing Iphone And Ios Users?? / LG Homechat: Text Your Washing Machine, Vacuum Cleaner And Fridge / How To Root Tecno K7 Spark

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.