Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,550 members, 7,816,336 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Advise Needed About Buying Cars From The UK - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Advise Needed About Buying Cars From The UK (1552 Views)

Tips On Buying Cars From The US, By Autogeria / Rki Autos - ***Buying Cars From The USA Made Easy*** / Hidden Secrets About Buying Cheap Cars From Cotounu! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advise Needed About Buying Cars From The UK by iykbethany(m): 3:39pm On Sep 10, 2014
Hello everyone, I want to buy a van from the UK but I have the following questions.

1. I have a shop in Port Harcourt so im in need of a VAN to convey my goods from Aba to Port Harcourt etc. Considering that UK cars are mostly left hand drive, will this be a problem with Nigerian police/Road Safety? is there any law in Nigeria banning left hand drive cars? I am saying this because I don't want to have problems with the authorities. I know some people might say why not convert the car to right hand drive in ladipo but i don't want to do experiment. If left hand drive cars will be a problem i will rather buy the car in Lagos or USA.

2. Does anyone here know any shipping company in the UK that I can use? if so please drop the contacts here. I am presently in UK and happens to know someone that works in a loan company. In their premises many cars are there for sale. cars are from customers who default on their loan repayment and their cars repossessed. I have checked the costs of cars in USA and lagos and I have found out I can get better deals here.

I would like to bring 1 or 2 cars from here if there wont be any problems with the road safety and police. For example someone wants to sell his 2003 fullest option Mercedes C240 to me at the rate of £1,200. Car mileage is 98,000. I didn't make him any offer bc I am not thinking of buying any private car just yet, what i need is a VAN for my shop.

I will appreciate your advise about road safety issues concerning left hand drive vehicles in Nigeria. I hope someone who owns or uses such vehicle in Nigeria will comment. Its always good to hear direct from the horses mouth instead of mere hearsay. Cheers
Re: Advise Needed About Buying Cars From The UK by iykbethany(m): 9:07pm On Sep 10, 2014
Waiting for advice
Re: Advise Needed About Buying Cars From The UK by xingba: 12:31am On Sep 11, 2014
Man,if Na me,I prefer to buy it in Germany whose car is more endurable and no need to shift d steering, cheap as well
Re: Advise Needed About Buying Cars From The UK by iykbethany(m): 8:32am On Sep 11, 2014
xingba: Man,if Na me,I prefer to buy it in Germany whose car is more endurable and no need to shift d steering, cheap as well

Thanks man but
1. Am not in Germany
2. Cars are much cheaper in USA than Germany
3. I'm presently in UK where I have found the vehicles I want at reasonable prices. All I want to know if there won't be any problems with the road safety etc.
Thanks

NO.: DOES ANYONE HERE KNOW ANY ROAD SAFETY OFFICER IN 9JA?
Re: Advise Needed About Buying Cars From The UK by iykbethany(m): 4:54am On Sep 12, 2014
Re: Advise Needed About Buying Cars From The UK by iykbethany(m): 4:06am On Sep 13, 2014
iykbethany: Hello everyone, I want to buy a van from the UK but I have the following questions.

1. I have a shop in Port Harcourt so im in need of a VAN to convey my goods from Aba to Port Harcourt etc. Considering that UK cars are mostly left hand drive, will this be a problem with Nigerian police/Road Safety? is there any law in Nigeria banning left hand drive cars? I am saying this because I don't want to have problems with the authorities. I know some people might say why not convert the car to right hand drive in ladipo but i don't want to do experiment. If left hand drive cars will be a problem i will rather buy the car in Lagos or USA.

2. Does anyone here know any shipping company in the UK that I can use? if so please drop the contacts here. I am presently in UK and happens to know someone that works in a loan company. In their premises many cars are there for sale. cars are from customers who default on their loan repayment and their cars repossessed. I have checked the costs of cars in USA and lagos and I have found out I can get better deals here.

I would like to bring 1 or 2 cars from here if there wont be any problems with the road safety and police. For example someone wants to sell his 2003 fullest option Mercedes C240 to me at the rate of £1,200. Car mileage is 98,000. I didn't make him any offer bc I am not thinking of buying any private car just yet, what i need is a VAN for my shop.

I will appreciate your advise about road safety issues concerning left hand drive vehicles in Nigeria. I hope someone who owns or uses such vehicle in Nigeria will comment. Its always good to hear direct from the horses mouth instead of mere hearsay. Cheers
Re: Advise Needed About Buying Cars From The UK by bravolad(m): 6:04am On Sep 13, 2014
In the UK, their vehicles are mostly right hand drive though left hand drive is permissible but with a huge tax and special permit. In Nigeria, left hand drive is permitted but you need a special permit (which I think requires annual renewal) to be able to drive right hand car. But trust me, even with that permit, you will have a hard time with law enforcement agents such as the police, VIO, FRSC and sometimes, the military guys at check points will harass you. Why would you want to go through this headache just to own a van?

It is better to convert it and have lesser issues to deal with. Important to note is that most of the Toyota picnic and Ford Transit used for transport in Nigeria are imported from the UK and converted. I have personally imported about 5 vehicles from from the UK on different occasions. I currently have two converted cars in my fleet of taxi in Abuja and they are all doing great. I believe perhaps, your fear is based on issues that arise with conversion in Nigeria. But as I said, trust me, there are no worries if done by a professional with complete replacement of the entire dashboard, steering rack, wiring harness etc. I speak about cars of the 1990s and 2000 models only. I have not converted a recent model but have seen an RX330 that was also converted. Looked and drove great when I saw it last year in Lagos.

It important to emphasis that some those cars in the UK are cheap because they are older models and attract more tax.
Re: Advise Needed About Buying Cars From The UK by iykbethany(m): 6:39am On Sep 15, 2014
bravolad: In the UK, their vehicles are mostly right hand drive though left hand drive is permissible but with a huge tax and special permit. In Nigeria, left hand drive is permitted but you need a special permit (which I think requires annual renewal) to be able to drive right hand car. But trust me, even with that permit, you will have a hard time with law enforcement agents such as the police, VIO, FRSC and sometimes, the military guys at check points will harass you. Why would you want to go through this headache just to own a van?

It is better to convert it and have lesser issues to deal with. Important to note is that most of the Toyota picnic and Ford Transit used for transport in Nigeria are imported from the UK and converted. I have personally imported about 5 vehicles from from the UK on different occasions. I currently have two converted cars in my fleet of taxi in Abuja and they are all doing great. I believe perhaps, your fear is based on issues that arise with conversion in Nigeria. But as I said, trust me, there are no worries if done by a professional with complete replacement of the entire dashboard, steering rack, wiring harness etc. I speak about cars of the 1990s and 2000 models only. I have not converted a recent model but have seen an RX330 that was also converted. Looked and drove great when I saw it last year in Lagos.

It important to emphasis that some those cars in the UK are cheap because they are older models and attract more tax.

Great imput/write up.
Am still checking if it's worth the troubles, when you add the conversion fees, parts to buy, risks involved plus workmanship it seems better to just buy left hand drive van from other parts of Europe or USA.
Re: Advise Needed About Buying Cars From The UK by bravolad(m): 6:58am On Sep 15, 2014
iykbethany:
Great imput/write up.
Am still checking if it's worth the troubles, when you add the conversion fees, parts to buy, risks involved plus workmanship it seems better to just buy left hand drive van from other parts of Europe or USA.

One of the ways to recoup your expenses is to buy somethings that you would sale in Nigeria and ship them along with the van. Your real cost would be covered by the items in the van itself. That way, the van gets into Nigeria at a very low cost. This venture also depends on how much you have. Your cost including conversion should be lower than the cost of the van's equivalent from Europe/USA at least by N200,000 to N300,000.

Ford Transit (long or short frame) should be a good option.

(1) (Reply)

distress sale: Tokunbo 2006/07 Honda Accord DC @ 1.350m sold! sold!! sold!!! / Direct Tokunbo Toyota Sienna 2001 Model Extremy Neat..@700k..09035336656 / 2. Units Of Camrys Envilops,1units of Toks muscle,1corola s'etc *nigerian Used!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.