Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,739 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. (5889 Views)

When Nollywood Act The Avenges - Photo / How Can I Download Films With My Nokia Lumia 630 / Young Nollywood Act Are After Fame Not Industry's Growth.- Mike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by Freshtomato(f): 11:53pm On Nov 05, 2014
Nollywood movies is a big joke.
All they do is change clothes and cars and expose their bodies and recycle old stories over and over. No creativity, no passion just nothing its so annoying!
I can't seem to keep my eyes open when a nigerian movie is on. I just zoom off almost immediately embarassed
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by Originalsly: 5:26am On Nov 06, 2014
Prof800....I had time to digest your last post! First off...I do criticize but not bash Nollywood...criticize with the hope that they would move to a higher level. Nollywood is not developing quickly not because of lack of talent or money...but lack of opportunity and finances for those with the talent...our own in da house Nairalander Vilageboy is an example of talent starving for opportunity(Une Clone...short movie). On Alaba movies ...you are very dismissive when it comes to these home videos. Do you know it is these very home videos that put Nollywood on the map globally?...and I am not referring to Nigerians in the diaspora. Do you know that the Alaba video stars Patience, Nkem, Genevieve and Omotola are wayyyy more popular than Goodluck Jonathan?...all because of Alaba home videos? ..I am sober and dead serious! What movies would interest foreigners?....movies that tell about life in Nigeria/Africa...movies that showcase African culture...and movies that have stories that have some moral in the story.Which foreigners are most interested?...Blacks...they were cut off from their culture and ancestral land....fed only what the West fed them in the media...negativiity. Alaba movies were like a window to Africa. Popular movies?...ones nicknamed village movies. ..that show the lives of ordinary people. On movies you posted...hmmm....those I MUST see....except the animation/3D ones...not a fan! On films....they need to do a better job in advertising the movies abroad....if not for you ehmmmm...trying to prove a point....I would've never known about these movies!...thanks for shining some light on me here in d dark!

1 Like

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 5:58am On Nov 13, 2014
Freshtomato:
Nollywood movies is a big joke.
All they do is change clothes and cars and expose their bodies and recycle old stories over and over. No creativity, no passion just nothing its so annoying!
I can't seem to keep my eyes open when a nigerian movie is on. I just zoom off almost immediately embarassed
You can say that again. They should take a look at Korean movie and see how interesting and captivating their movies are....?
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 6:07am On Nov 13, 2014
@Prof800... You need to understand something. Nollywood is good, but the rate at which they are going, they are regressing instead of progressing. The films they are chunning out these days are only suitable to all these lover ladies/girls, on how to date, make money and the rest of them. The little ones that have good stories will not end well. Nothing fascinating about their movies these days. They need to improve realy well. Again, why will advert take about 15-20 mins in a disc plate that has 45-55mins duration, in other words, a part of film lasts only abt 30min. Also, the have resorted in giving silly names to their movies cos instead of having a part name for a movie with parts ranging frm 1-5/8, they will rather have different names after every 2 parts. How ridiculous!!!
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by kimco(m): 4:03am On Nov 14, 2014
prof800:

Have you seen this short film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zsGJfStcYs

It is a Nigerian shortfilm and the film maker is even here on Nairaland.
This one is just recent there are many more like it that have impressed me.

I am NOT a fan of Nollywood but how could I ever help to destroy something I am supposed to help build?
Afterall I am African.

The Namibians, Kenyans and Congolese are helping to develop their movie industry by promoting, supporting and developing a positive mindset towards their industry, we Nigerians should do the same too and let Hollywood, Bollywood and whatever-wood carry their own crosses.

There is a movie I am looking forward to:
A Place In The Stars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4hS2AiqUYU

Voila!

We are in the renaissance stage of Nollywood. The beautiful thing is that you never see it coming.

We don't have that movie that will wow the world yet but we have the movies that are worth mentioning and whoever sees these movies and still thinks that Nollywood doesn't have a bright future, is only having a terrifying illusion. That person is a sadist.

I don't know what a typical foreigner would find interesting but I have an idea of what a Nigerian-in-diaspora would find interesting. And if such movies appeal to a foreigner who is watching Nigerian films for the first time then it is all good.

A typical renaissance movie like "Anchor baby",

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yx_kiBOZDA

"October 1"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R7wJuPv_7o

and the "mirror boy"
http://vimeo.com/13567921&sa=U&ei=v11ZVKCWOcniavaQgagF&ved=0CDgQuAIwBVAB&usg=AFQjCNE6osM2T5ZhACuZAQFIUuYcPaORVQ

...can pique a foreigner's interest and make him know that there is a growing industry here in Nigeria that needs support.

For someone who loves action, Render to Caesar, Last flight to Abuja, Awakening, A mile from home.

and for you personally since I know you fancy slapsticks and comedy, Alan Poza, Onye ozi, Phone swap.

Find them at the Cinemas, or online at Dobox, Irokotv etc.

If you have not seen any of these movies, then it means what you have been watching is home video... alaba home video. Which means you are not in position to denigrate Nollywood because you have been in the dark.

>>The new Nollywood is budding out and trying to distinguish itself from Alaba home videos that has earned it a very bad name globally.
>>The new nollywood is a film industry, while Alaba nollywood is a video industry.
>>There is a huge difference between film and video.!

Nigerians need to open their eyes now and wake up from their slumber and abandon their believe that everything Nollywood is wacky.

Nollywood needs support from Diaspora Nigerians like you to let people see the effort being made by a few people to revolutionize the Industry (which is already on track cos this is the renaissance era).

................hopefully people will be able to open their eyes and see.

BONUS: This is a 3D animation movie by a Nigerian many many years ago. Mark of Uru and Enemy of the rising sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flbYy_erIXs

Well done on ur post however ur pick of the bunch is jux a handfull of good movies in a sea of trashy ones. Even in the worst movie industry in the world a few gems can be brought up. For every good movie we get over 100 bad ones with recycled bull crap. Sound and picture quality for that tym was average for what it was but atleast we understood why...it was a growing industry....Not now. This excuse cannot be given to this situation at all. Nothing excuses nolly movies to come out in atleast 480p quality. Dat's dvd quality and we still haven't achieved that universally. Up till today the songs with "oh my God are they really singing this trash" music in the background, lyrics that literarily sing the plot of the movie. In this day and age. Are there no proper sound engineers who can make use of subtle tunes etc to create ambiance?

Now let's not even talk of the plots atall. Because for every great movie u brought up, there is an equally or even better movie that was made in the past. I feel presentation hinders those of u pro modern nollywood to see this. Becos a gud story will always stand the test of tym. We can always tell a gud story even a hundred years from now. Only dat unlike books, the medium used myt get too old for us to appreciate the wonderful story.

Watch today's "actors" with so many undeserved fanatics. Why does tonto dike still have a job? She's extremely unbelievable on set unles it's a village ragidy life role. Even then she tends to overreacts. The others aren't all that great. The ghanaian rubbish actors have also come to join (eg yvonne nelson and van vicker) am ghanaian btw.

Most of the movies are the same plots....appealing to the biggest audience, ladies. So u get to see unrealistic crap of a pauper marrying a royalty with a slapstick label with "the king..." Always begining it as a title.

For once I'd like olu jacobs to actually act a comdey movie without being an in your face comedy type instead of the usual aki and pawpaw, nkem owo ( who is great by the way but get annoying fast) john okafor etc. Mix it up a bit. Take risks, travel to location and shoot the movies there....we don't need over the top car explosions. We jux need brilliant stories with equally brilliant execution.

I pray for an igodo remake with proper equipement and a capable director. But I know it won't happen.

If u refuse to say the bad and always have a positive mindset when clearly things aren't heading the right way, then u'll sink even more.

I'm glad u pulled out a few gems but these movies hardly get advertised. Instead we see movies like the king has my heart bla bla bla on tv everyday. That shud give u an idea of how the industry is.

Edit: also mirror boy has the worst execution of a potentially gud movie ever. A desert rider with a plastic bottle of water for the london boy, very amateurish. Acting wasn't bad th
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 7:06am On Nov 14, 2014
^^^^^Nice post my man.
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 20, 2014
AltarBoy1:
i havent watched teen wolf... Is it dat ok... And how is secret circle... Action or romance...
its all about romance,action and magic..try it out,its so interesting.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Interesting Unknown Facts!!! / Hollywood Actors Then, And Now (photos) / Download NOPE (2022) By Jordan Peele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.